- Gougane Barra
- Sunday 16 April, 2023
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 9 (3,3,3) - Difficult Terrain, >500M ascent, >10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Only major junctions marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Whiskey In The Jar League
- Entry details:
- No entry details have been entered for this event yet. Entries for league events usually open a couple of weeks before the event
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- The route starts on the forest access road, then moves onto forest trail, before striking up rough ground to join a mountain trail. It then crosses open mountain to re-join forest trail and is then road to the finish. The race starts just before the barrier and proceeds into the forest park for approx. 800m before turning left up ‘Sli an Easa’ trail. It follows this up to a high point where the route goes left onto a small, rough sheep trail climbing steeply up to cross a fence via a temporary stile and then continues climbing to meet the ‘Sli Ghaeltacht Mhuscrai’ trail. Turn right and follow this trail for approx. 1.5km to lough fadda and a stile. Do not cross the stile; hopefully there will be a marshall at this point. Turn sharp right to flagged open mountain section, heading up and over broken ground to lough glas (to your left) and follow fence down to cross small stile. Continue down left of fence line W towards lough, crossing the fence again at stile and head N (flagged) to cross another fence at stile. Follow fence, then flags to climb to highpoint before traversing then descending gradually steeper, broken, boggy, slippy and rough ground where care is needed in places. Cross three streams before joining ‘Sli sleibhe’ trail and turning left. Follow trail with junctions marked down to forest road, take a sharp left and follow road to finish near barrier where you started.
- Getting There:
- https://www.coillte.ie/site/gougane-barra-forest-park/ Gougane Barra itself is located approximately 7km west south west of Ballingeary. Take the R584 for Ballingeary, turn off it where signposted after about 5.5km. Drive past the hotel/cafe/pub and continue on to the Forest Park about 1km further along the road. 2. Car Pooling and Parking – THERE IS NO PARKING AT THE HOTEL/CAFE/PUB. We would encourage participants to park in the forestry car park through the barrier, €5.00 entry fee. Or alternatively, and because Gougane Barra is a single lane cul de sac which can get very busy at the weekend, we would encourage car pooling from Ballingeary or Kealkill.
- Organisers Instructions:
- NO CASH ENTRIES ON THE DAY ONLINE REGISTRATION/VOUCHER CARDS ONLY.
This race is open to all IMRA members. There will be online pre-registration available at €7 on www.imra.ie a week before the event until midnight the night before. This race is open to all IMRA members. There will online pre-registration available closer to the event.
Under IMRA rules for competitor's safety, it is mandatory to bring and carry a jacket that is shower and wind proof for the entire race. Any competitor seen not carrying or wearing their jacket at any stage in the race will be disqualified. There are no exceptions to this rule! A mobile phone and a whistle will also be mandatory.
IMRA MEMBERSHIP PROCEDURE FOR 2019!
All competitors must be IMRA members. IMRA membership costs €10 for a calendar year. It is unrelated to membership of other athletic clubs. IMRA membership cannot be purchased at the race, you must follow these steps beforehand.
Login to your "myimra" account on www.imra.ie. If you don't have an account, create one using the REGISTER FOR MYIMRA link, and follow the instructions carefully.
- Go to the PURCHASE IMRA PRODUCTS page and purchase 2019 membership using a credit/debit card.
- Bring the membership confirmation email containing your race number for the year with you to your first race
- Get a bib number at your first race, and hold on to it, as it's valid for the full year.
Note: If you are not a 2019 IMRA member or don't know your race number, it will not be possible to enter the race
- Prizegiving Location:
- Post Race – tea and sandwiches etc are available at the Gougane Barra Hotel, or Cronin's next door...
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize