Irish Mountain
Running Association

Gougane Barra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Daniel O'SullivanMar 30 2023, 12:13pmHi All,

Will there be a Junior/Kids section in this race?

Thanks
Daniel
Anthony CornforthMar 31 2023, 6:44pmWe are aiming to run a junior/ short race and a kids race.
Daniel O'SullivanApr 3 2023, 11:20amThanks Anthony
Michael McSweeneyApr 7 2023, 1:30pmHi folks,
Gougane racec is now open for purchase online, and just to remind everyone, NO VOUCHERS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON THE DAY.

ONLINE PRE ENTRY ONLY.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the second race of the Whiskey in the Jar Series.
Micheal.
Beck RyanApr 10 2023, 9:28amAny information on the shorter race?
Laurène MotteApr 10 2023, 1:23pmHi,

Is there anyone going from Cork ? I’m looking for a way to go there.

Laurène
Anthony CornforthApr 11 2023, 9:39amThe short race is 5km on road and trails with approx 80m of climb, starting and finishing near the barrier. The kids race is 1.8 km on trails, starting and finishing near the central carpark/ toilets 800m in from the barrier.
Patrick GearyApr 11 2023, 10:05amHi Laurène,

I'll be leaving from Barracks St and could give you a spin!

I've added the car to the carpool section.

Cheers
Anthony CornforthApr 13 2023, 7:43amVOLUNTEERS:- If those of you that have kindly volunteered could be at the start/ finish area near the barrier for 9 am that would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
KIDS RACE :- Starts 10.20am, 800m in from the barrier near the toilet block. Easy mostly level trails. Parent to please accompany child.
JUNIOR/ SHORT RACE :- Starts at 10.30am near the barrier. Road to start and finish with a mixture of trails between with some potentially slippy steps.
LONG RACE:- Starts 11.00am. The open mountain sections are very soggy at the moment, appropriate footwear (studded X talons, irocks, etc) is strongly recommended.
Please ensure to register in good time for your race.
Fergal DaltonApr 13 2023, 4:43pmHi. Is there any map available for this race please? I'm not able to visualize where some of the open-mountain sections might be from the description.
Thanks.
Beck RyanApr 13 2023, 6:24pmHow do you sign up for the shorter race?
Anthony CornforthApr 13 2023, 6:57pmThere will be a map available at the start of the race, but we can't publish one here as part of the route is only permissable for the race. You can find it on my stava activities on March 28th, but I didn't tell you that.
Michael McSweeneyApr 13 2023, 7:18pmHi Beck,
Just enter the regular Gugan race. You can tell the people at Registration you are doing the short race. Short race will be starting at 1030am.
Micheal
Flaherty LiamApr 15 2023, 7:38pmHi can I still register for the Gougane Barra race? It says we can register by midnight tonight but the entries are closed on the event
Sam CroninApr 15 2023, 8:17pmHi guys, 1st imra event tomorrow! What time do we need to register/check in at tomorrow morning?
Michael McSweeneyApr 15 2023, 8:28pmLiam,
Entries closed at 6pm this evening, as per Events Details.

Sam,
Be there at least 30 minutes before the start of your race.
Don't forget your waterproof jacket, you won't be left race without one, and plenty of grip on the shoes, you'll need it tomorrow.
Micheal.
Michael McSweeneyApr 15 2023, 8:30pmThere looks to be a big crowd tomorrow. Give your self plenty of time in the morning. Parking will be tight.
Dáithí de MórdhaApr 15 2023, 9:02pmI'll be going through Béal Átha/Ballingeary around 10.15 if anyone wants a spin up to the race
Sam CroninApr 15 2023, 9:06pmThanks guys
Brian MullinsApr 16 2023, 4:05pmMighty outing today at the source of the Lee, thanks to Anthony and all the volunteers for a great race. Anthony wasn’t lying earlier in the week on this forum when he said it was wet, it’s easy to see how Cork City often floods when you run/surf the water on the hills overlooking Gougane. In fact a few decided to get maximum value for the €7 entry fee and went bog snorkelling. Life jackets for mandatory kit next year anyone? Results may hint that a few went astray here and there but they all made their way back to the finish on their own steam with beaming smiles and tales of following fences, meeting roads that shouldn’t have been met, turning around and following more fences. While UCC may have the catchy line “Where Finbarr taught, let Munster learn” the hills around Gougane is where a hill runner can really learn a few lessons and I’m certain it’s where Finbarr learned his when he founded his church there! This Whiskey in the Jar league is turning into a great spectacle of bog, mist, misery, pestilence and we haven’t even got to the tough ones yet, they may require a whiskey before the start to prepare for the horror that awaits, just kidding!!!
Niamh AbeytaApr 16 2023, 6:40pmA great day out in the beautiful Gougane Barra, hills, mud, bog, mist and fun. Thanks to the RD and all volunteers.
raymond smithApr 16 2023, 9:35pmMany thanks to Anthony and all the helpers for putting on a great show, the fog made it interesting and the gloop made it challenging but the atmosphere and good humour made it very enjoyable.
Brian FlannellyApr 17 2023, 5:57pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Kristen O'SullivanApr 17 2023, 10:17pmThanks Anthony and all of the Volunteers for organising a great event in Gougane yesterday. Great course and the fog and bog definitely made it more interesting! Most fun I’ve had in a race in a while!