- Knockmealdowns Half Marathon
- Saturday 10 June, 2023
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 10 (Extreme) - Extreme, >1,000M ascent or > 30Km
- Race Marking:
- - Only major junctions marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Munster Half-Marathon League
- Entry details:
- No entry details have been entered for this event yet. Entries for league events usually open a couple of weeks before the event
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- Runners will start from the Car park and head down to the lake.
Just after passing the lake you have a split in the trail – you take the right-hand path on the Tipperary Heritage Trail. This will take you on a steep decent to the main road crossing where you will head over the road bridge and re-join the Heritage Trail again. Keep following all red arrows to join the original path at the steel bridge crossing the river.
This is a race of two halves. The first half is excellent underfoot and mostly over fire roads leading up to the Liam Lynch Monument. It’s after the monument when things get a little more ‘interesting’. Be prepared for open mountain, freezing winds, low visibility in bad weather and slippery conditions underfoot.
Route map for IMRA MHM Knockmealdowns Half by IMRA Munster on plotaroute.com
Mandatory kit list (may be reduced closer to the time)(1) Waterproof rain jacket with taped seams
(2) Mobile phone
(3) buff / beanie to keep the head warm
(4) Waterproof leggings
(5) All weather survival bag / mini-shelter / emergency bag (foil blankets are insufficient)
CUT-OFF TIMESThere are two STRICT cut-off times on this race.
(1) 12.45pm at Liam Lynch Monument (12km)
(2) 1:45pm at the saddle between Knockmeal and Knocknafallia (16km)
Extraction points are available at both cut-off locations if you cannot continue. This is not to be used for those planning on only running half the race. It is for emergencies ONLY.
If you think you cannot meet these cut-off times PLEASE CONSIDER EARLY START (10am)
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize