The Paps (An Dá Chích), Derrynasaggart Mountains
- The Paps Loop mountain run.
- Sunday 28 May, 2023
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 7 (2,3,2) - Moderate Terrain, >500M ascent, 6Km - 10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Route fully marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Whiskey In The Jar League
- Entry opens:
- 2023-05-21 00:00:00
- Entry closes:
- 2023-05-27 18:00:00
- Entry limit:
- None set
- Entry cost:
- €7 for seniors, €5 for over 65s and under 18s
- Entries sold:
- Route Description:
- Out and back course, visiting the West Peak (690m) first, then onto the East Peak (694m). This is the half-way point. Simply retrace your steps to return to the start/finish area.
The terrain on the Paps is mostly short grass, boggy at times, with only a faint path in places, but all very runnable, and all the major junctions will be marked and/or have a marshal.
The two rounded summits, whose name in Irish means “the two breasts of the goddess Danú”, dominates the view as you travel on the N22 between Baile Bhuirne and Glenflesk. The summits are surmounted by two cairns, believed to be prehistoric burial chambers.https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1244993429
- Getting There:
- On the main N22 Cork to Killarney road. Cladagh Valley / Clonkeen.
From the Mills Inn, Ballyvourney, Co Cork, drive on the N22 towards Killarney for 10km. Take right turn sign posted Cladagh Valley / Clonkeen. Keep going until you see the church on your left. Park and register here. From Daly's Supervalu, Killarney, drive on the N22 towards Ballyvourney / Macroom for 16 km. Take turn off to the left, sign posted Clonkeen. Keep going until you see the church on your right. Park and register here.
The race start is about 1km (an IMRA km) walk/jog/run up the Cladagh Valley from the church. Please park near the church as the road up the valley is narrow and there is very limited parking near the start, and we want to avoid causing inconvenience to the local residents using the road.
- Organisers Instructions:
- Mandatory Kit: Jacket, Mobile phone charged & Foil blanket
- Prizegiving Location:
- Short/junior race: 4km out and back. 12:30. Kids race: 1km out and back. 12:15. All races starting at trail head map.
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize
|Driver Name||Location||Passing Through||Departure||Seats Available||Seats Accepted|
|Tom O Connor||Buttevant||Mallow, Rathmore, Barraduff, Glenflesk.||11:00:00||3||1|