Irish Mountain
Running Association

The Paps (An Dá Chích), Derrynasaggart Mountains

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Fergal DaltonMay 15 2023, 4:32pmHi, just wondering if there'll be a short course on this race too please.
Thanks.
Michael McSweeneyMay 16 2023, 1:32amFeral
Yes there will be a short course. Out and back. 5km total. Fully marked.
Micheal
Michael McSweeneyMay 16 2023, 1:34amFergal. Not feral. :-)
Conor McElroyMay 16 2023, 5:35pmA few runners planning an unofficial recce of the race route Thursday 7pm at the trailhead.

Particularly encouraging those not used to open mountain trails, a good way to improve confidence pre race.

As it's on open mountain before dark please bring rain jacket, grippy shoes, head torch, survival bag

Please comment here on the forum if you'd like to join:D
Jack HickeyMay 20 2023, 5:49pmGave this a go today and looking forward to next weekend now.
Are we allowed to use trekking poles as the descent was tough on the knees at times?
Michael McSweeneyMay 21 2023, 9:29pmJack,
Yes you can use poles, but you will have to keep them folded away for the first kilometre until you get on the open mountain, as the start in flat fast sprint type races like this can be a bit tight. :-)
Robbie WilliamsMay 24 2023, 9:51amMANDATORY KIT FOR THIS RACE IS JACKET, MOBILE PHONE AND FOIL BLANKET/Bivvy Bag

Some of these can be purchased at van on the day
Connor ODaltuinMay 26 2023, 9:57pmHi, I am 12 years old, can I volunteer to help at the desk please?
Michael McSweeneyMay 27 2023, 6:54amYes Connor. It would be great to have you as a volunteer. But you'll have time to run the short race also if you sign up for it.
Beck RyanMay 27 2023, 1:19pmJust wondering what time you would like the volunteers to be there?
Stephen O KeeffeMay 27 2023, 8:25pmAny idea what time volunteers should be there for in the morning.
Michael McSweeneyMay 27 2023, 10:16pmAround 1130 in Clonkeen should be grand for volunteers. Kids race is on at 1215. Short at 1230. Main event at one. all of these will start at the Trail Head about 1.5km up the Cladagh Valley from Clonkeen church. All parking will be down near the church.
Michael McSweeneyMay 27 2023, 10:18pmMass in Clonkeen is at 930, so things should be clear by the time we arrive.
Fergal DaltonMay 28 2023, 8:01pmThanks to all the volunteers & RD for putting together a good race today. Apart from light cloud cover at the top, conditions were ideal. The terrain was soft but not boggy, perfect for absorbing impact on the way down.
Hope that the injuries weren't severe and everyone makes a quick recovery.
raymond smithMay 28 2023, 11:20pmThe terrain didn't feel that soft when I landed on it! Thanks to all the volunteers it was very well marshalled and signed.I really enjoyed the parts I can remember
Conor McElroyMay 30 2023, 1:49pmThanks to Micheál McSweeney and all of the volunteers who made this race run so smoothly on Sunday Past.

The course marking was spot on given the mist.

An extremely fun course with beautiful springy underfoot conditions on the bog this time of year...I think these double summit races (like Donard, Commedagh) add abit of extra spice to the mix with the brutal ups and downs!
Brian FlannellyMay 31 2023, 2:18pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie