Irish Mountain
Running Association

Union Wood

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
adrian powellApr 20 2023, 5:03pmWhat distance will the Short Course option be?
Turlough ConwayApr 20 2023, 9:07pmSure Anne-Marie or Barry along soon, but guessing circa 5km. Thinking about it Adrian?
adrian powellApr 20 2023, 10:41pmYeah hopefully
Anne-Marie FlahertyApr 21 2023, 9:30amHI Adrian!

Great to see that you're interested in taking part in the run.

We're finalising some of the route details for the race, but as Turlough said above, we're hoping that the short course will be between 4-5km

Once we have the various permissions and details nailed down I'll be updating the events page and I hope to add maps. Keep an eye on this thread too.

Looking forward to seeing you next month.
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 5 2023, 10:58amWe had a great recce of the course last night.

It's a perfect introduction to IMRA and trail running. I think people will have fun!

The route will be fully marked and we'll also have marshals on the course at important points/junctions.

There's a short course option which will have a turn off before the climb to Union Rock.

I've added basic map/elevation profile for now, but will update all again over next couple of days.

Looking forward to kicking off the new Northwest League on the 21st.
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 11 2023, 12:28pmEntry will open for this race on Tuesday morning (16th) and will close on Saturday at 6pm (20th).

No on the day entries!
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 16 2023, 12:56pmHi all,

Entry now open for Union Wood.

Short Course of 6.5k - doesn't include climb to Union Rock. Runners taking this option will start just after the main field.

There is NO Early Start for this race, contrary to what I'd posted on the event details. That's been amended now.

Looking forward to Sunday! Weather is looking promising.
Richard DunneMay 16 2023, 1:03pmafternoon all. how and where is parking?

Thanks Richard
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 16 2023, 1:29pmHi Richard
Parking will be at the Union Wood entrance near Ballisodare FC.
https://goo.gl/maps/1weafTZccpSC5p5J7
Damien ComanMay 16 2023, 1:30pmI think parking is beside the soccer pitch in Ballisodare.
Damien ComanMay 16 2023, 1:31pmCan I ask, are numbers given out on the day or do i need to purchase a number and timing chip? It's been 5 years since my last outing ...
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 16 2023, 1:57pmNumbers for the calendar year will be given out on the day.

Most details are on the Event details page for the race.
Fergal ToweyMay 16 2023, 3:31pmHi Guy's, Is there any restriction on younger juniors taking part? I'm thinking U12 to U15 ages?
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 16 2023, 3:42pmHi Fergal,

Unfortunately at this race there's no capacity for a Junior Race for those age groups.

The Short course is 6.5km and max distance allowed for younger age groups is 5km.

We're also restricted by the number of volunteers available to us.

We do hope to introduce more options for younger juniors in the future, maybe even at our future races this year, but as this is the first year of the league we're just building and gauging interest for the events.

The more volunteers we get the more options for routes we have too, something to bear in mind :)
Pavlo NaumenkoMay 17 2023, 7:34amHi,

Could you please advise me about the kind of jacket we need. I want to be at the race for the first time - that's why I'm afraid to buy not what I need.Can you recommend a shop in Sligo or else. Thank you in advance
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 17 2023, 9:06amHi Pavlo!

Great to hear that you're thinking of joining us on Sunday.

A lot of runners use just a light running jacket, one that is easy to carry in one hand, or stick in a pocket or small running belt.

It doesn't have to be a really expensive jacket.

RunPod, Elverys or Sports Direct in Sligo town should have something suitable.. I think Dunnes Stores might have some options too at the moment. You may even have something yourself already.

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday!
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 21 2023, 4:51pmThanks everyone who came along today to the first race of the new North West League!

A lot of first time IMRA participants this afternoon and I hope everyone enjoyed their time on the trails.

The weather played ball and we the course was in great condition.

Massive thanks to my awesome team of volunteers, who made my job so easy today and in the build up to the event.
Derek and Rory for the course design.
Rory and Turlough for the course marking.
Shane and Richard who wrangled the car park.
Ruth on first aid, who thankfully had a quiet time of it!
Edel and Neo, Aoife and Aaron for the help at registration and the finish line.
Maeve, Gerry and David for marshaling
Ann and Eleanor for the catering.
Alastair who was general operative and loudspeaker.

Barry as my assistant RD did Trojan work in the build up, between course recces and at registration and the finish line (the app was a revelation!)

Can everyone who took part, please check for ticks as there were some reports of them being found after the race today.

Results should be up soon :-)

I'll try get some photos up too.

Hopefully see you all at Knocknarea on June 3rd!
Turlough ConwayMay 21 2023, 9:31pmWell Done Anne Marie and Volunteers.

Race report here. Anyone can add a race report so please Union participants mark your run today and the first ever North West League race with your race experience.
Added incentive: Spot prize at Knocknarea for most entertaining one!
adrian powellMay 21 2023, 11:27pmWhen will the Results be up?
Brian SmythMay 22 2023, 9:27amThanks to Anne Marie and all the volunteers for a very well organised race . It was a lovely route and the fodder afterwards was just as nice : ) . It was worth the trip for sure .

Thanks all
John ShielsMay 22 2023, 4:45pmGreat race, lovely route and we got a surf in on Saturday .
Well worth heading to Sligo for the weekend.
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 23 2023, 9:27amResults are up, if you notice any errors or omissions please let Conor know:

results at imra dot ie