Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carlingford - Fox's Rock

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Turlough ConwayAug 8 2023, 2:33pmHi All.
Looking for volunteers for this in key positions particulalrly First Aid.
(Will have news today on camping option for Carlingford weekend.)

Peter and Orla have kindly stepped up for the Sunday race but please consider volunteering there id racing Saturday and not racing Sunday or if you can help out before your ace Sunday.
Thanks

Turlough
Turlough ConwayAug 14 2023, 7:30pmStill looking for volunteers for this.

Just to note the Wild Camping camp site many used last year will be available again this year for the weekend.
Ill post details shortly but plan for it being fully available.
Lesleyann WylieAug 16 2023, 11:49amJust wondering what map is recommended for this race??
Turlough ConwayAug 16 2023, 3:09pmThere's a brand new East West Map of the area and then the OSI map Lesley Ann.
We will try to get something more detailed in the map section here in next day or two. Thanks for bringing it up and see you up there.
Mick HanneyAug 16 2023, 8:21pmBarry Dalbys new map of the Cooleys is great.
Order online at EastWest maps and delivery is speedy.
Lesleyann WylieAug 17 2023, 1:41amSuper thanks for the quick replies.
Turlough ConwayAug 24 2023, 10:26amHi All still looking for first Aid for this final round of Leinster Championships. Will need summit marshalls also so perhaps competitors may have friends/family in tow for that job.
Also note Campsite available for weekend racers.
https://www.facebook.com/coinnlecorra
kevin hamillAug 28 2023, 4:32pmHello Turlough, I'm happy to help on both days. I'm localish to the race and I'm not competing. Kind regards.
kevin hamillAug 28 2023, 4:35pmContact 086 603 8410. Kevin.
Turlough ConwayAug 28 2023, 8:41pmThanks Kevin

I'll add you to list of volunteers. Might have you as a summit marshall as you know the terrain.
Turlough ConwayAug 30 2023, 11:01amBadly in need of First Aid for this one folks!
I am looking locally also, but please if you're in a position to help out and haven't planned on racing then please step up!
thanks you
Turlough ConwayAug 31 2023, 5:22pmFirts Aid sorted.

Organisers Instructions: (Note Competitor Parking in School Carpark beside Foy Centre).

Note: This is a long race. Option to start early and self time for participants who wish. We have use of the school carpark beside Foy Centre (with some limited Parking Park at the Foy Centre): https://goo.gl/maps/PXxdmoEjawLkSC3b6 (SEE MAP) Registration outside St Michael's Church: Race Start beside registration. https://goo.gl/maps/tr4CxWxnkHWmRTST7 (SEE MAP) Route from St Michael's Church Carlingford to Fox's Rock and back. Refer to the race map. There will be a short marked section for a few hundred metres up tarmac roads and a lane (purple line on map). The marking will end when you emerge from the lane through a little gate onto the open land. From here it's free route choice to Slieve Foye (point A on the map), then to Fox's Rock (point B). Return via Slieve Foye summit (mandatory to visit this summit on the way out and back), to pick up the marked section again and return to the finish.
This route involves significant open mountain navigation and rough ground. It is NOT SUITABLE for beginners, juniors or those who are not competent navigators.

If the weather is very poor on the day, a shortened version of the race may be used.

All competitors, and particularly those who have not competed this year already, should READ the REGISTRATION GUIDELINES.

We are NO longer accepting MONEY at races.

Kit requirements: Jacket & Official IMRA race number
Turlough ConwaySep 1 2023, 3:22pmHi Folks.

Just a reminder to park at the school car park beside Foy centre and NOT at church.
There will be fruit, water and biscuits after but I won't have plastic cups so please bring a container (you can leave at start/finish) or you may be carrying a container anyway in race.
Turlough ConwaySep 2 2023, 10:39amHi all.
Slieve Foye Centre looks good for parking according to manager. If it fills pre school CP available next door, then use that.
Nice day but as usual jacket and number must be carried.
See you soon
Brian FureySep 3 2023, 9:17pmThanks Turlough for putting on the weekend races and Peter for running the Sunday race. We enjoyed the weekend up in Carlingford and Cooley peninsula. Nice spot for a racing and spectacular views over the lough on Saturday evening and Sunday:)
Turlough ConwaySep 3 2023, 9:45pmThanks to all the volunteers for the race I RD-ed on Sunday, great crew and thanks to Peter for the hospitality, was mighty.
Well done Peter and Orla for Todays Race Directing, volunteers and excellent junior helpers Conor and Oisin (marking, runner spotting and sugar supplying both days).
Great to see two Louth runners take overall victories today as well as the inaugural Louth Champs wins.
Lesleyann WylieSep 3 2023, 9:49pmGreat Race out to Foxes rock on Saturday. My first time venturing outside the Wicklow mountains for a race like this. Thanks Turlough and crew, it was a super day.
Stuart ScottSep 4 2023, 11:29amWell done to everyone who raced this weekend, it's a lovely part of the country.

For anyone wishing to get even more acquainted with the endless crags and marshes, keep October 22nd free for the second Nav Challenge. It'll be held somewhere in the Cooleys using the new East West map. There'll be a short(er) course too for novice navigators. Full details will be on the race page in due course (https://www.imra.ie/events/details/id/2332).
Marcus BishopSep 4 2023, 10:15pmGreat weekend thanks Peter, Turlough and the volunteers. Looking forward to Oct Nav Challenge, with the inevitable low cloud!