Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dargle Four Peaks

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganMar 23 2022, 10:19amMorning all,

With thanks to Brian Kitson, we have a new addition for the Leinster Championships this year. I'm on to confirm we'll have a gun time of 9am for this one owing to the location of the start/finish.

All the best with your race day prep Brian :)
David DunneMar 23 2022, 1:09pmWow Awesome route, Will look forward to this one. Thanks Brian
Karl BourneApr 25 2022, 11:20amHi Brian, liking the sound of this route. Was out on a very similar route with a few pals a few weeks back and we made a right bags of it. Few more recces needed methinks - but just spotted it has been added to the calendar as a LC race. Just a couple of questions
- Is this an unmarked route? (assume yes but just wanted to check as never done a LC race before)
- Is there free route choice or will there be a defined route?
- Will the route go clockwise from Paddock Lake (e.g. Djouce>War Hill>Tonduff>Maulin) or the other way round?

Cheers!
Karl BourneApr 25 2022, 11:23amSorry just read the description of a Leinster Championship race - so no need to answer on if the route as marked and if there is a published route - my bad. Guess I just need to know which way around it will go then :)
Lillian DeeganApr 25 2022, 11:58amNah, you ain't bad Karl :) In fact, I'd gift my gold star of today your way for your self service site referral efforts - GoYou!

With Avonbeg kicking off the LC season yesterday, we won't feel July 10th and LC3 coming round. Good luck with your recces.
Karl BourneApr 25 2022, 12:32pmA ha! Thanks Lillian I'll gladly take that Gold Star :)

Yes I did see the circuit of Avonbeg route courtesy of a few Strava posts over the weekend. Looks a cracking route but not sure I'd have been ready to have a bash this year - next year for sure. (Again, recces and Nav needed!)

Think I'll look at the Dargle 4 Peaks as my first LC race for now. Would be handy to know which way around the route goes.

Is the circuit of Glenmacnass off the calendar for this year as well?

Cheers, Karl
Lillian DeeganApr 25 2022, 1:06pmWell, now I think I should be double thanking you Karl. You're a wise man not getting caught up in the pre race buzz to head out on a Nav. event not sufficiently prep'd for this kind of gig. .

On route direction etc. RD Brian will be working on his event prep ATM. As soon as he has info. to add to his page, he will get it posted. With this one being a branti new one, a little more work is needed behind the scenes. Will you keep an eagle eye on the page for updates.

On Glenmacnass - Permit issues were plentiful with this year's calendar. For us to keep the Glacier Lakes, Stone Cross and few others, we had to barter a bit more than usual. So we don't have Glenmacnass this year I'm afraid. All starts fresh with the NPWS end of year for next years events listing, so we'll see how we go from there.
James HeggieMay 8 2022, 8:22pmSuccessfully completed a recce of this today ,the bog is firmer due to the good weather but is still there . It’s a great course that gets little traffic .
Brian KitsonMay 8 2022, 9:17pmGlad you enjoyed it James. There will be news about the race coming soon.
Brian KitsonMay 10 2022, 8:38amSome updates to the Dargle Four Peaks Race

1. To maximise the proportion of good open mountain terrain for this race the start/finish location has been moved to Boleyhorrigan which is located to the southwest of Djouce on the R759. This start/finish dramatically enhances the quality of the route and the challenge it offers.
2. In the spirit of Championship races - which rewards the fleet of foot who are also good route planners, navigators and hardy adventurers - the Four Peaks in this race can be tackled in any order or sequence. Clockwise, anti-clockwise, first hill to aim for…etc, etc, your call. Each competitor can plan the route that plays to their strengths. Start, hit the correct point on each of the four peaks in any order you choose and make it back to the finish and all will be well in the world. See Map section and grid refs in the Event section.
3. Ample parking has been arranged at the car park opposite Pier Gates, 2.3km from the start/finish location… a good 20min warm-up/cool down jog. Not ideal having a such a distance to and from the line but there are precedents and I hope you’ll agree it’ll worth it for the quality of the route. There are a few laybys and small car parks closer to the start, any spaces in these will be prioritised for those car-pooling and for dismayed 49 year old RDs who have just discovered that they have been added to the O50 age category.
4. Start time is now 12 noon to keep it in line with other Leinster Championship races and to hopefully attract those travelling from further afield.

More details will be added over time but that’s the bones of it. I hope you are as excited as I am by the changes and that you’ll add this event to your race diary.

Brian
Anne-Marie FlahertyMay 10 2022, 11:42amOoh, that'll make a very interesting race.

Looking forward to seeing the route choices afterwards!
Stuart ScottMay 10 2022, 3:21pmSounds great Brian. I'm salivating over the map already!
Pól Ó MurchúMay 10 2022, 3:27pm@Stuart Scott I hope it’s a waterproof map… ;-)
Brian KitsonJul 3 2022, 9:21pmHi all,

The Dargle Four Peaks race opens for entries on Monday 4th July.

This is a unique addition to the calendar of this there can be little doubt. ‘Why?’, I hear you ask.

Firstly, while many IMRA events involve you going up and then coming back down a hill with this race you get to do itFOUR times. But wait, there’s more!

You also get to choose the sequence, direction and lines in which you will tackle these four peaks. This is a race that is completely customised for you, by you. Faster folks might opt for longer lines along track and trail while the good ‘mullachers’ may choose to blast through the cabbage along more direct lines. So, unlike other races I dare not mention, nobody ever needs to find out about that terrible navigation error you made; people will just assume any wonky lines were a genius tactical move made by you.

Either way, once you hit the peaks and make it safely back in a reasonable time, this completely novice Race Director cares not a jot.

Could there be a more uniquer race?

A few points to note:
• The points to hit on each peak are indicated in the race details. These are the marked summits of Djouce (trig point), stone piles on top of Maulin and War Hill, and the unique (see?) carved boulders on Tonduff South.
• Gun time is 12 noon, early start at 1130am. Working out a few final details regarding the location of the registration on the morning.
• Official Parking is at Pier Gates. You all know how busy this area is with tourists and buses etc. No parking along the road please or in any way that might obstruct gates or other vehicles. When traveling between the start/finish and Pier Gates please be mindful of bikes, cars and other road users for their safety and yours.
• Allow plenty of time for a 2km+ jog to and from the start line.
• Please read all the race instructions carefully and carry a fully charged, working phone as you’ll be covering some remote ground.

Hope you all can make it for this adventure – see you on Sunday!

Brian
Alice ClancyJul 3 2022, 9:42pmSounds great Brian!!
Michael DowlingJul 4 2022, 4:05pmSounds like a good one Brian...
Brian KitsonJul 5 2022, 4:33pmUpdated EARLY START time of 11am.

Could do with two or three more volunteers (including at least one of whom is happy to get out into the hills).
Warren SwordsJul 7 2022, 10:50amAs deputy race director and Brian Kitson's hype man, I'm here to tell you why you should do this race.

The first reason is that we have arranged for the arrival of the Irish summer.* That's right, it's going to be summer on Sunday. Do not miss this once in a year opportunity to experience summer in Wicklow.

This means runners will get the extremely rare opportunity to visit the mythical summit of Tonduff. So mythical is Tonduff, it is said that no-one knows where the actual summit is. The site of many a Wicklow Round disaster, you'll chuckle to yourself as you take in the sweeping vistas of the Wicklow mountains, wondering how anyone could go wrong on such a beautiful mountain.

But wait! There's more. In addition to the summer and Tonduff, we are throwing in three more peaks! That's right, we're going to give you War Hill, Djouce and Maulin for free!

And what's more, you get to choose your own route. Break free from the tyranny of IMRA's marking tape. The road to success is not a path but a blaze you'll trail.

Or as an influencer once put it: "Just because my path is different, doesn't mean I'm lost."**

We've also pulled out all the stops for the start/finish line. The race starts just metres away from one of the most iconic spots in Irish film history, the "PS I LOVE YOU Bridge." Ignore the one star Google review that states: "Overhyped destination just because it was shown in a movie for a few seconds."

From the start, you immediately have to choose which peak to go to first. Head for the open mountain or follow in the footsteps of Wicklow Rounders and head up Djouce.

Do you pick the mountain less travelled or stick with the speedy descent along the Wicklow Way. As you make your choices, you'll see runners go off in all directions. Now is not the time to think of Aesop's Fable and ask "who is the tortoise and who is the hare." No, for you are a mountain goat, look upon my might calves ye mighty and despair!

At Tonduff, clockwise runners will be meeting anticlockwise runners but we are two hands of the same clock - mere ships that pass in the night - ticking towards the same destiny.

We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

*Summer is not guaranteed. Please dress appropriately. Direct any complaints to Met Eireann

**If you are on a different path, you may well be lost.
Mick HanneyJul 7 2022, 11:49am@Brian/Warren - are you ok now for volunteers? If not give me a shout.
Brian KitsonJul 7 2022, 9:08pmSuperb preview, Warren :)

Yes Mick, we’d love one more volunteer to help us box of registration etc.

Online entries close tomorrow folks so sign up now and treat yourself to an adventure to look forward to this weekend.
Clare KeeleyJul 9 2022, 12:15pmDargle Four Peaks tomorrow!!
As the parking is a little trot away from Reg/start/finish/fun area be good idea for runners to bring a small bag with change of top which we will mind for you for after race so runners can hang out for prize giving/raffle/treats and post race analysis (which I think will be particularly fun with free route choice!!).
If you want a cup of tea or coffee after bring your own mug!!
**and just to note, I am on 2 weeks annual leave from my regular nursing job so no mega First Aid casualties tomorrow thanks!!be nice to stay in holiday mode!!**
Peter O'FarrellJul 9 2022, 4:43pmFor those who use Strava tomorrow's race would be perfect for Strava Flyby. It's turned off by default, but could be switched on for tomorrow.
It would add to the post race analysis for sure.
It's currently hard to tell who is on Strava with all the recces hidden ;)
Warren SwordsJul 9 2022, 5:31pmI'll remind runners of our strava policy at sign lin.

Longest and shortest routes will win prizes along with most scenic.
Fabio BaltieriJul 10 2022, 7:18pmHey brilliant idea putting on this race in this format, load of fun on the hills and a bit of chaos crossing everyone on the Tonduff-Maulin section! :-) Thanks everyone for putting the event on!
Conor NolanJul 10 2022, 8:54pmGreat addition to the calendar. Well done to first-time RD Brian and team. The aprés-run was great too. I possibly consumed more watermelon than was strictly necessary:)
Alice ClancyJul 10 2022, 10:34pmA huge well done to Brian - what a brilliant set up for your first RD role!! and big thanks to Warren and the volunteer team....that was such a lovely day out in the hills and a cracker of a race! Hope to see this become a calendar staple....Loved it!
Graham K. BusheJul 10 2022, 11:24pmA huge thanks and well done to Brian, Warren and crew. What a cracking race. I have to say I was happy when I first saw it on the calendar (and assumed it was a simple loop) when it then emerged that it was free route choice it became an entirely different challenge.. A great idea and I hope it will feature next year too. Well done to Rory, Becky, and all the runners out in that heat today..
H
Stuart ScottJul 11 2022, 12:31pmThanks Brian, Warren, Clare and everyone else involved in yesterday. That was a great day out! Flawless planning and organisation and the post-race catering was just what I needed!

Is it too late to ask that all runners get a 45 minute penalty for each recce they did? :-) It's not often that I get so fed up of the cross-country route that I detour to a road but yesterday was one of them...I'd like to say I'll know for next time but knowing me I'll forget!
Linda RowdenJul 11 2022, 3:30pmBig thanks to Brian and his team for putting on a cracking race yesterday. The open route choice was so much fun. The post-race refreshments were very welcome after such a hot run. Well done to Ruairi and Becky, and everyone who ran in that heat. Hope to see it become a permanent addition to the calendar!
Warren SwordsJul 11 2022, 3:35pmAdded some photos there, think I caught everyone.

The Flyby is as an entertaining as expected, lots of differing routes.

Looks like Gareth Little managed to bag the shortest distance with an impressive 14.74km, with Liam a close second in 14.95. Alice forgot to turn her watch on so will have to discount her 13 odd km!

Mark Raleigh looks to have got the most value for his 7 euro, running 17.96km. Although we are discounting the runner who ended up in Ballinastoe and required a lift back to the start.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#7446792389?c=gc7w6024&z=D&t=1Yoj7C&a=xQjdu58G-ruK0tu7nz3buxA92Lu5StG7-A7Qu-Jk4bvySeC7amLcu1zT27sy0tu7L_bau4Y22bt8Fdm77-zXu7AG1rvi2tW7kavVu8ub1bsCf9W73SPVu--d07usjtO77s_Su0eg0rs&s=4t
Mick HanneyJul 11 2022, 4:37pmAnd Gavan's novelle figure of 8 route seems to have minimised the amount of climb on the route to an impressive 616m, of what was probably mostly unrunnable terrain :-)
Mick HanneyJul 11 2022, 7:36pmadded a screenshot showing a moment in time from the Flyby.
Brian KitsonJul 11 2022, 7:50pmI see the results are up and I notice a error with the race times of four of the early starters, my mistake, apologies, will get those corrected when we can.
Richard FoxJul 11 2022, 8:06pmThanks so much to Brian and his wonderful team for such an amazing few hours in the sun. Great organising and a lovely spread of goodies at the end. A super bunch of competitors and volunteers made this a brilliant adventure. I hope more people try these type of races. They’re great and well worth the effort. I only entered after a bit of encouragement and I’m absolutely delighted I did. Congratulations to all the hardy lads and lasses who blitzed the course and received well deserved placings. Btw please add an hour to my time as I went out earl
Cheers and thanks again
foxy
Brian FureyJul 12 2022, 12:31amThanks Brian & all for organising. Great day out
Brian KitsonJul 12 2022, 6:42amFor those of you seeking out a digital firedoor-stop to read, my unnecessarily long, overly self-indulgent Race Dictator’s report is up.
Paul MahonApr 15 2024, 9:04amThanks to Brian and his merry band of helpers for what is a unique and valuable type of race in any mountain running calendar :-)
Route choice and variable ground and vegetation conditions coupled with a bitta wind, mist n rain to liven things up made for great post race conversations.
The spread of beverages, brownies and pineapples was second to none this side of Laragh - appropriate nod to MH & CK catering at races in south Wickla ;-)