Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carrauntoohil

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Vivian O'GormanMay 7 2015, 8:48pmOnly a little over three weeks to go!!

This is a King of the Mountains race,so to start things off I am looking for a Summit Marshall please.
Patricia MurphyMay 10 2015, 6:38pmVivian, I can do the summit marshall for Carrauntoohil if you want. I've been up there plenty of times. Trish
Vivian O'GormanMay 11 2015, 1:07pmThanks Patricia just give me a call on 087 4150398
Gareth LittleMay 13 2015, 11:34amIs anyone looking to go there and back same day for this? I am thinking about it and if I do, can offer seats in my car.

Thanks,

Gareth
Rachel CinnsealachMay 13 2015, 12:19pmFolks,

Don't forget about the Ballincollig race on the Sunday.. hosted by.. The lendand of hillrunning himself John Lenihan.

There is an article written in the year book about this race last year. It was the friendlyest race on the IMRA calendar. All the locals were out to support it and those that ran the race had nothing but positive comments about it.

Carauntoohil on Saturday is the Championship race, it's high! It's technical... Sundays race is more of a trail race and will suit all levels.

I'd like to encourage people to make a weekend out of this! I am heading down and sharing a room with 3 others. Having thought about it... I'd encourage people to stay in Fossa. There is a hostel and camping facilities. I have just rung them and there is availability. There will be plenty of parking. Social drinks can be had each night in the Golden Nugget. I think this is the best option as it allows people to both camp or hostel. all comments welcome.
Rachel CinnsealachMay 13 2015, 8:23pmThe number for Fossa hostel/campsite is

Phone:(064) 663 1497
Derek KellettMay 13 2015, 10:50pmRachel, sounds like a plan :)
Jason DowlingMay 14 2015, 6:05pm@Gareth: I'm was thinking about heading down on the day as well but am still a little undecided. What time would you be thinking of leaving Dublin and after the race at?
Gareth LittleMay 20 2015, 12:00pmHi Jason, drop me a mail at garethlittle @ yahoo dot co dot uk and we can discuss.

I have to be back in Dublin that night so if anyone else is looking at a same day trip, get in touch.

For the rest, stay down and make a weekend out of it with a great race planned for Sunday!

Thanks,

Gareth
Tony SullivanMay 22 2015, 10:20pmjust checking, can register on the day or is it a pre-race register like wicklow way? dont want to go down unless i know i can race, thank you.
Rachel CinnsealachMay 22 2015, 10:31pmYou can register on the day.
Tony SullivanMay 24 2015, 12:06pmgreat thank you.
Vivian O'GormanMay 25 2015, 1:32pmI am now looking for a First Aider please - I will post more
info either this evening or tomorrow evening...
Maike JürgensMay 25 2015, 2:25pmhi all, i ll be going down to Killarney from Galway (in case anyone wants a lift all the way) and put my car on the carpool from Killarney onwards but happy to jump into someones car, too.
going back to Galway late Sunday or early Monday.
Gavin DillonMay 25 2015, 7:23pmIs there someone passing through abbeyfeale on the way down with space and going home after the race passing there again? :)
Rachel CinnsealachMay 25 2015, 8:42pmJust a reminder that there is a group staying in Fossa on Fri, Sat and Sunday evening. Some are camping and some are hosteling. The social venue will be the golden nugget each night. We would ask members to support John Lenihans race on Sunday. There is an article in the year book about the race last year. The local support was phenominal.... There will be sambos provided by the local pub after the race....
Do you have the stamina to race two days in a row? Lets make a big weekend out of it... It is the June B/H weekend. It would be a shame to come to Kerry for and not make the most of the beautiful county.
Eoin SyronMay 26 2015, 12:07pmHI Rach,

Count me in for camping in fossa!
Vivian O'GormanMay 26 2015, 9:39pmHi Folks,

I still need a First Aid person and a few more volunteers for the race registration - can run

The race will start at 1pm

Race Registration will open at 11am and close at 12.30pm sharp

Early Start at 12pm - just let me know before you go

There is a kit requirement for this race - longsleeved rainproof jacket - hat/gloves - bumbag with chocolate/biscuits or whatever suits you and water - map - compass and whistle and if you want it your mobile phone.

You will be required to either carry or wear your jacket no matter what.

Don't forget the mobile number on the back of your race number when used goes straight to the Race Directors phone in this case mine. But you MUST ring the number NOT text it

This is NOT a beginners race. Please do not make this your first mountain race. Try an easier shorter race first.

There is absolutely NO parking on the road.There is a parking area provided for 3Euro a car. This area will be clearly marked. Try carpooling from the Climbers Inn.

Here is to good weather!!
Mick HanneyMay 26 2015, 9:48pmI intend heading down to run Vivian. Can assist on first aid if required. Just need to make sure the kit is re-stocked from tomorrow's race.
John Dempsey79May 27 2015, 10:22amI'm travelling from Gorey, Co Wexford to Killarney on Friday evening and back Saturday, will probably travel via Dungarvan & Mallow.
Let me know if you want a lift.
johnjdemp at gmail .com
Vivian O'GormanMay 27 2015, 1:14pmThanks Mick - I'll check the first aid kit after the race tonight
Sam ScrivenMay 28 2015, 9:28amI'll be driving down from Cork and have a couple of seats to spare, leaving around 9:30. o87-2I36574
James H CahillMay 28 2015, 9:33amVivian / Mick the first aid kit needs cotton wool as a lot got used on the various cuts and scrapes in Tibradden. The other items used extensively were gloves, alcohol wipes, and dettol solution. Have a great weekend in Carrauntoohill
Vivian O'GormanMay 28 2015, 8:55pmDon't forget your mandatory jacket and the rest of the required kit as mentioned in note above. A decision will be made on Saturday about what kit to bring during the race.
Daniela BoehmMay 28 2015, 10:19pmHi folks,
once again Rachel has been doing her very best to promote this weekend! :) I can only say that last year was absolutely fabulous! To all of you who are going to Carrauntoohil, you really should stay for the Ballincollig race. It was a great race last year and the local support was incredible!!... but a shame that less than 20 people participated :( So please stay around.
See you in Kerry! :)
Mick HanneyMay 28 2015, 10:34pmDoes anyone have a garmin link to the Ballincolig race? If so I can put up a map which might be helpful and persuade some to run.
Aidan HoganMay 29 2015, 1:51pmI'm driving from Limerick to the race tomorrow if anyone needs a lift. I've put the carshare offer up on the carpool section.
Tony SullivanMay 30 2015, 10:05pmhi Vivian, great race today despite the conditions, just to let you know i got home safely and thank you for your concern, i dont know how my number(593) got missed at the end i told both people at finish line, my finish time was 1:48 which can be verified on the Strava website and i finished a second behind David Sullivan(890), hope this clarifies things, thanks again, hopefully everyone got home safely.
Sam ScrivenMay 31 2015, 12:36amAwesome race in very tough conditions today, cold, wind and rain. Congratulations new champ! Thanks to volunteers as always, but whoever persevered at the summit earned their salt - wow! A few cuts, bruises and cramps, nearly left my left foot about 300m from cater, but enjoyed immensely. Back next year..
Derek KellettMay 31 2015, 9:46amBleedin' deadly, loved it. Thank you :)
John ShielsMay 31 2015, 1:02pmSavage conditions yesterday, first time I've had to wear a waterproof leggings on a mountain run. I've lashed up a few photos, quality reflects the conditions (i.e. crap)
Martin BroganMay 31 2015, 4:55pmUsual conditions for mountain running yesterday, definitely not my best performance but the criac was mighty. Thanks to all the volunteers who make the events possible.
Vivian O'GormanJun 1 2015, 10:38pmA big thank you to all the volunteers. Particularly to Trish Murphy and Anne Hodge who were on the summit.They braved the conditions and survived!! Also thanks to Nora,Dermot and Brian who did the start and finish and let me run.

The girls took down the race numbers and summit times as best they could under those conditions. I have gone through them and its difficult. I will get some of them up on line shortly but I have made a mistake or left you out my apologies.

And well done to all of you runners who ran and more importantly finished.
Anne HodgeJun 2 2015, 8:42amIt was the wildest volunteering I've done so far! Fair play to all the runners who made it to the top in galeforce wind and lashing rain. We did our best recording numbers but my hands were so cold - it was hard to hold the pencil steady. The sheets were pretty soggy by the end - hope the numbers can be read. Great weekend - John Lenihan's Ballincollig run on Sunday was exhilerating despite that long uphill near the end. Anne
Brían O'MearaJun 2 2015, 9:43amGreat event on Saturday - proper hill running.
Horrendous conditions for marshaling though - thanks to all that volunteered.
Jason KehoeJun 2 2015, 10:52amThanks to all the brave volunteers, it was a great event as usual and we had a great time that evening too. I put up a race report.
Daniela BoehmJun 2 2015, 11:38amThe June bank holiday weekend and it seemed colder than any of the winter league races ;) A huge THANK YOU to the race directors at Carrauntoohil and Ballincollig (Vivian, John) and all the volunteers who jeopardized fingers and toes for us and made this into such an enjoyable weekend despite the less benign weather conditions. Bring on the Connaught weekend in a few weeks' time :)
Mick HanneyJun 3 2015, 1:50pmRace report added. Keep them coming.
Vivian O'GormanJun 9 2015, 10:10pmHi All - here are some summit times from Carrauntoohil:

Jason Keogh 57.12
Diarmaid Collins 57.31
Bernard Fortune 58.02
Tom Blackburn 58.05
Tom Holmes 102.57
Anthony Cornforth 103.14
John Bell 103.24
Paul Deane 104.37
David Sullivan 104.44
Brian O'Meara 105.43
Alan Ayling 106.07
Tony Sullivan 107.48