Nav Challenge 1
- First race of the annual nav challenge league
- Saturday 28 August, 2021
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 8 (2,3,3) - Moderate Terrain, >500M ascent, >10Km
- Race Marking:
- - Route not marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Entry opens:
- 2021-08-23 18:00:00
- Entry closes:
- 2021-08-27 18:00:00
- Entry limit:
- None set
- Entry cost:
- €7 for seniors, €5 for over 65s and under 18s
- Route Description:
- Long course 17 km, mainly on rough open mountain. Short course 10km mainly on fire roads and forest rides with small section on easy open mountain.
- Getting There:
- Enter site through barrier near Ballinagee Bridge on R756 (Wicklow Gap road) 6km west of Wicklow Gap. Also approachable from Hollywood on R756.
- Organisers Instructions:
- The Nav Challenge is an navigation race where competitors use a map to find checkpoints.
NC1, navigational race limited to 50 runner with navigational experience. Long and short course available of roughly 17km and 10km. Runners must supply their own map. The map for NC1 is East/West map Lugnaquilla & Glendalough.
Start /Finish at O038022
A list of six figure grid references and control site descriptions will be given out at the start of the race. To make the race as inclusive as possible 5 minutes later a master map may be inspected for those wanting to ensure they have transcribed the grid references correctly. You will not be allowed to take a photo on your phone of the master map! You will also be given a card to punch at each control found at the allocated grid reference points. <
Mandetory Kit: Running Jacket with a hood, whistle, compass, relevant map for the area, mobile phone (for safety). You will also need to bring a pen/pencil/marker to mark your grid references on your map. (If you have the laminated version, a white board pen can be used and simply wiped off afterwards). Runners doing the long course should consider bringing some food and water. < <
- Prizegiving Location:
- At race finish
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize