Irish Mountain
Running Association

Fraughen Rock Glen

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgJul 7 2009, 9:31pmPlease note that the last race of the Leinster Championship has changed to a different route in the same area as the originally scheduled Cloghernagh due to concerns over the level of erosion on the original route.

Paul Nolan will race direct this new route called Fraughen Rock Glen and his instructions and a map have already been uploaded to the website.

Please familiarise yourself with the details so far if you have plans of running this race on 23rd of August.
niamh o CeallaighJul 8 2009, 9:18amClass route!!
Bruce ShenkerJul 8 2009, 12:00pmTerrific route, when I was new to Ireland I tried to walk up Lug that way and the mist came down and I had no clue where the summit was and I thought the sheep were laughing at me, so I am still amazed that I was smart enough to back off and do it several weeks later on a clear day. Lots of rock scrambling and rough terrain and even the bottom is a bit tricky but perhaps you know of some tracks I never found. I am very jealous of this one.
Basil FawltyJul 10 2009, 8:58pmErosion, eh?

Bloody mountainbikers.
Dermot MurphyJul 17 2009, 10:35amI am doing a recce of the Fraughen Rock Glen route on Sunday. If anyone wants to join me, meet up at the Glencormac Inn at Drumgoff at 10am - time is flexible at the moment. Please let me know by replying to this message or you can ring me at 087 7445475.
Jason KehoeJul 29 2009, 3:44pmHi,

Are all the Leinster championship races point to point? i.e. you just have to start and finish from the same point while just reaching the required summit(s)?

Thanks,
Jason
Mick HanneyJul 29 2009, 4:21pmThats pretty much it Jason, as I understand it. How many of them have genuine route options which could offer more advantage though would be an interesting debate. Was there a particular question you had with regard to FRG?
Jason KehoeJul 30 2009, 5:23pmJust looking at the map got me wondering what the options were. Will have to recce to see I guess.

Thanks!
Mick HanneyAug 19 2009, 3:16pmWould anyone be available to act as summit marshall for this race? If so please contact me on zero86 8539554

For anyone else considering taking part in this race please read up on the Organisers Instructions for kit requirements etc. Hoping for decent weather...
Paul NolanAug 21 2009, 7:22pmMyself and Izzy spent a bit of time 'gardening' the early stages of the route earlier today. The underfoot is quite wet so bring good grip.

The forecast is quite depressing for Sunday... Rain & Strong winds, not the ideal combination for the route. So bring a pair of trail shoes as well, in case we have to make a decision on the day of running a race up and down Table Track instead. Hopefully it won't come to that!

Munchies have been booked for after the race in Drumgoff.

cormac o ceallaighAug 24 2009, 7:59am Great race yesterday-thanks to paul ,Izzy ,Vivian( and martina for the tea and cake at he end!) for the organising, and markers which were most helpful in the heavy mist;well done to the new champions in the league categories.
Mick HanneyAug 24 2009, 8:24amThanks to Isabelle and Paul yesterday. And congratulations to Cormac on the milestone of his 200th imra race.
Mick HanneyAug 24 2009, 2:38pmReport put up.