Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ticknock Winter

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Tom SOMMERJan 17 2024, 7:08pmHi,
I'm very new to IMRA. Is this booked out or not yet open for registration? Please let me know if there is a way to know on the website when a race is booked out, I may have missed it.
Thanks;
Tom
Mikey FryJan 17 2024, 7:41pmTom usually opens the week of the race will say on the event page the day it will open keep an eye on event:)
John BellJan 17 2024, 7:43pmHi Tom, registration doesn't usually open until a few days before the event. The norm the week before except for some of the longer races. Best of luck and enjoy IMRA races.
Mikey FryJan 17 2024, 7:43pmAlso Tom if there’s a cap on race you can see the amount of entries sold and if there’s spaces left or else you can miss entry if you don’t book in time hope this helps…..
Tom SOMMERJan 18 2024, 9:15pmThanks a million Mikey and John. This is really helpful, just need to find a carpooling for that one. I might see you there!!
Henny BrandsmaFeb 11 2024, 9:41amHi there, will there be a map of the course on the event page, so we ha e a idee wat in store and have a look at it beforehand.
Regards Henny.
Alicia Christofi-WalsheFeb 13 2024, 10:43pmHi, Will there be a junior's race at this?
Robert CostelloFeb 14 2024, 10:25pmHi Henny. The route is likely to be the same or similar to the 2022 route found here. Will confirm at the weekend following a reccie. Alicia, I can also confirm that there’ll be a junior race of approx 4.5km. Rob
Alicia Christofi-WalsheFeb 17 2024, 5:48pmThat's great thanks Rob.
Unice VorsterFeb 20 2024, 1:34pmHi,

I was just curious what the reason is for only opening IMRA entries a few days before the event? Is there the possibility to open entries at a set time period before the event and earlier to allow people to plan?

Thanks,
Unice
Liam VinesFeb 20 2024, 9:02pmHi Unice
Weekend races open on a Wednesday mornings at 9am
Wednesday evening races open on a Monday morning at 9am
There are exceptions to this but it is the norm for marked races in the WSL and LL.
This system works well especially for races where we have entry limits.
Spots are not just taken by people without knowing if they will be there or not.
If you are planning races look to see if there is an entry limit. Races with entry limits have been selling out within the day lately.
Ticknock has NO limit so room for everyone.
Robert CostelloFeb 22 2024, 9:20pmHi all,
A few updates on Ticknock.
The plan is to start at the Gap but we CANNOT park there. I currently have 30 spaces secured at the Christmas Tree lot nearby (see race instructions) and will know Monday about more spaces. With this in mind we need to ensure everyone car pools and we aim to have 4 people per car. I have also had to cap the race entries at 200 to ensure we don’t have parking issues.
Food will be served by the Gap Kitchen post race and we’ll do the prize giving in the outdoor dining area so bring warm clothes!
The route is similar to the race two years ago and map is on the main race page.
Finally, we are doing well on volunteers but could do with a second First Aid officer if possible?
Thanks,
Rob
Conor O'FarrellFeb 23 2024, 10:53amHi Rob

Just a thought, would it be worth relocating the start to just above the Blue Light, and getting people to park in Fernhill Park and Hiking up to the start?

To limit the parking to 30 cars, you’ll need to limit the numbers to 120(best case scenario).

Con
Robert CostelloFeb 25 2024, 9:45amHi Con,
Thanks for the alternative suggestion. I will have a confirmation on parking spaces tomorrow and will post as soon as I know.
Rob
Robert CostelloFeb 26 2024, 5:29pmUpdate on the car parking situation, Johnnie Foxes have kindly offered their overflow car park until 1.30pm which gives us sufficient spots to remove the cap on race entries. Our car parking rules will remain enforce to encourage people to carpool as much as possible.
Thanks,
Rob
David PowerFeb 27 2024, 10:06amGo better than car pooling - why not CYCLE?
5 reasons why (if you live in Dublin):
1. You get your warm up done
2. You can park right beside registration and start/finish and food/coffee
3. Your carbon footprint is nada
4. You (should get) a 1 minute time bonus (maybe AGM motion for me)
5. You can admire all the people arriving on e-bikes who pass you on the hill up
6. You get your cool down on the way home
7. Past winners have tried - so it won't slow you down
8. If you MTB across Ticknock on the way over, you should get a 5 min time bonus (AGM motion #2)
Keelin HolmesFeb 28 2024, 1:06pmHi , how do I register a junior for ticktock, I can't seem to find it? Thanks Keelin
Dave DochertyFeb 28 2024, 1:51pmKeelin, You need an email address for the junior. Then register as normal. One runner, one account. You can't have a junior added to your account/profile. Hope this helps.
Keelin HolmesFeb 28 2024, 2:16pmOK thanks Dave !
Joseph BoyleFeb 28 2024, 2:33pmAs League Director for the Spring League, I was delighted to see this race open this morning as it was touch and go up to the weekend. Thanks to Rob and Liam Vines for all their work with local businesses to make parking facilities available in two locations. Even though there are more parking spaces available, things could still be tight so please carpool as much as possible. Parking charges are on the website or arrive like David and you won't feel guilty.
Anthony GillespieFeb 28 2024, 2:43pmHi.
I had purchased a replacement bib number while booking the Wicklow Way half 2 weeks ago. I have now booked on for this Ticknock Winter run. Can I request new season bib number collection this Sunday? Or am I ok to take part without the bib number and wait until the Wicklow way half to collect it? Not quite sure how it works :)
Many thanks
Anthony.
Joseph BoyleFeb 28 2024, 2:53pmAnthony,
Your number will be available this Sunday and you keep it for the year. You'll also getting a timing tag that you use for all relevant races going forward.
Joseph BoyleFeb 28 2024, 3:29pmAnthony,
One other point, you never run without your number as it has emergency contact details on the rear in case you get into difficulties.
Anthony GillespieFeb 28 2024, 3:38pmThank you for the swift reply. See you on Sunday :)
Alan AylingFeb 28 2024, 5:44pmOn David's AGM Motion #2... best not ride down through the GAP if you're coming by bike. Their insurance arrangements are based around riders paying and signing in, waivers and all, so riding down through their land without doing that wouldn't be welcome and could reflect badly on IMRA.
Dave DochertyFeb 28 2024, 7:06pmCan't remember. Do 14 year olds need to be accompanied on the junior routes?
Thanks
Christina TanFeb 29 2024, 10:10amHi, Tick Nock will be my first event with IMRA. I just saw the post on replacement bib and tag. Do I need to purchase them in advance? If so, where do I get them? Thanks
John ShielsFeb 29 2024, 11:15amHi Christina, if this your first IRMA race you collect the race number and tag at registration.
If you have lost this year's race number or tag then you'll need to purchase a new one.
Alan AylingFeb 29 2024, 4:56pmDave - NO, only under 10s need to be accompanied.

For anyone wondering, the details of what under 18 runners can/can't do in terms of race distances, marked routes, being accompanied etc are all the IMRA Competition Rules, Rule 4. The rules are available to download as a Word doc from the Constitution page (bottom right of IMRA site). A revised version with everything up to date will be loaded to the site shortly (current one has a few things slightly out of date).
Ruairí FinucaneMar 1 2024, 11:29amTicknock Junior Race query

Hello, Ticknock will be my daughter's first IMRA race (U14).

2 Queries:
Does the Junior Race start at a different time to the main race and if so at what time?
Does she need to carry to same gear as required for the main race?

Thanks
Dave DochertyMar 1 2024, 11:42amRuairi, the junior race typically starts 5–10 minutes after the main race. Yes, every runner will be expected to carry a mandatory kit.
Joseph HenchionMar 1 2024, 4:15pmHi, i'm looking for a lift to and from the race on Sunday. I live in Ringsend but could get to a southside DART stop. Thank you
noel bolandMar 1 2024, 6:50pmHi Joe all going well I intend to drive from Ringsend
Robert CostelloMar 1 2024, 11:33pmHi all,
Some updates in advance of Sunday:
- We have almost 200 entries so it is critical that we car pool. We have parking at the Christmas Tree lot and when that gets full we can use Johnnie Foxes overflow (but only until 1.30pm). This will facilitate 80-90 cars but charges will apply if there are less than 4 in your car.
- Weather - the weather looks cold but clear. Obviously after today that's subject to change. We will track and monitor but don't forsee it impacting the race at this stage.
- No early start - there won't be an early start at this race. Early starts are typically for evening races and with the prizegiving and food taking place at the finish we do not envisage a need for an early start this Sunday.
- Junior race - following some feedback we have rejigged the junior route. Instead of going out on the open mountain it will stay within the trails of the Gap and Ticknock. This is not as steep a route but slightly longer at just under 6km. It's definitely a fun route for juniors and feedback afterwards will be very much welcome. The junior race will start 5 minutes after the main race.
- Race kit - we will make a call on the day as to what kit is needed but please ensure you have the B standard kit below:

Level B - Standard
Waterproof jacket
Hat or buff
Gloves
Whistle
Charged mobile phone with emergency number stored
Foil blanket, bivvy bag or equivalent

I'll keep an eye on the forum over the course of tomorrow in case there are any further queries.
Rob
Joseph HenchionMar 2 2024, 11:09amHi Noel, thanks very much. Could you text me maybe what time you're planning to leave at. Here's my number: zero 851672060. Thanks again.
Robert CostelloMar 2 2024, 12:19pmHi all,
Just to confirm, the junior race will be 5km.
Rob
noel bolandMar 2 2024, 1:49pmHi Joe text you, (0868474841)
Robert CostelloMar 2 2024, 7:13pmHi all,
I’m just back from the Gap where I checked the roads leading to the race. All approaches from Dublin and Enniskerry are gritted and safe as are both car parks we will be using. However, best to avoid the Military road route coming from the West.
The Gap will be closed but this doesn’t impact the race and the Gap Kitchen will be open and providing food afterwards.
I have recruited Warren Swords in to finalise the race route while marking first thing. If there are issues with ice on the route we will look to avoid and make some adjustments. But remember this is a winter mountain race and quite often over the years we have held races, successfully, in conditions like this weekend.
Please ensure you have the full standard B race kit tomorrow as we will be checking.
Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Rob
Mike WalkerMar 3 2024, 12:11pmThank you Rob and all the volunteers for a really great race, and beautiful weather.
Alan KennedyMar 3 2024, 2:09pmGreat event, thanks to Rob and crew and to Warren for well marked course. Great crowd today.
Mick HanneyMar 3 2024, 2:40pmFantastic race today. Thanks Rob and crew, esp. Warren for the route checking / marking to keep us all safe.

Great fun in the snowy sunshine.
Shane O'MalleyMar 3 2024, 2:42pmAnother fantastic event with great course, great organisation and wonderful atmosphere.
Only one minor suggestion is that it would be useful if there is a note of the kit requirements at the car parks rather than at just at registration.

Well done again.
Dillon RyanMar 3 2024, 2:42pmGreat race today well done to rob and all volunteers. Really enjoyable!
Phil behanMar 3 2024, 3:37pmThanks for today Robert and the whole team. Wasn't an easy thing with all the weather warnings and high numbers attending. Well done to all involved. Fantastic race.
Joan RyanMar 3 2024, 3:42pmThat was a brilliant brilliant race. It was well marked even though I didn't know where I was at times with the snow but that made it even more challenging.

It's was well organised. Well marked. Great volunteers. Lovely snacks for after.

To top it off a first category win. I'll remember today for a long time!
James ClancyMar 3 2024, 4:38pmWell done Rob and your team of volunteers!! Excellent race and brilliant race marking through out. Really well organised from start to finish!!
Rachel HarneyMar 3 2024, 4:49pmSuch a fun race! Thanks so much to all who organised it!
Declan McInerneyMar 3 2024, 7:00pmEpic race, thank you to all the volunteers and everyone who helped organise, a fantastic morning in the hills.
James H CahillMar 3 2024, 7:21pmThank you Rob and all the volunteers for a great day out in the hills today. Super race and lots of fun.
liam kennyMar 3 2024, 7:29pmThanks Rob and crew for a enjoyable race today I had the little lad out on junior course today, very enjoyable course out there and very well marked with plenty of marshalls, great job everyone.
Brendan LawlorMar 3 2024, 7:39pmWell done and thank you to the two Rob’s and their great volunteer team for todays race. Sunshine, snow and additional parking all contributed to make for a super morning in the hills!
Catherine RyanMar 3 2024, 8:30pmThanks to all volunteers today tick nock winter race. Wonderful atmosphere. A treat afterwards with the ready made rolls . Markings for the race were spot on. Lovely prizes followed by a raffle. Well done IMRA. Catherine Ryan
Dave RyanMar 3 2024, 11:26pmWell done to all involved this morning.
Well organised, great atmosphere, and great race.
Robert CostelloMar 4 2024, 4:31pmHi all,
There was a Bellpark Tri Club top and a black glove left behind at the race yesterday.Both are in the race gear pack if you want to pick up at the next race?
Rob
Robert CostelloMar 4 2024, 4:31pmHi all,
There was a Bellpark Tri Club top and a black glove left behind at the race yesterday.Both are in the race gear pack if you want to pick up at the next race.
Rob
Eamonn HodgeMar 4 2024, 6:55pmThanks Robbie, the Belpark top is mine. I'll pick it up at the next race. Really enjoyed the race by the way. Great craic!
Tim GrummellMar 5 2024, 8:11amQuick one on the results, Rory Lush actually did the long course.
Jeff SwordsMar 5 2024, 9:30amI've corrected Rory's result, and a few others too, so results updated.