Irish Mountain
Running Association

Beara Way Challenge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Rob KellyMar 27 2023, 11:41amHi! Is there any info on the route for this? I’ll be down that direction in a few weeks so would be a good opportunity to see what’s in store!
Thanks
Michael McSweeneyMar 27 2023, 5:28pmRob.
I'll put up the route later this week.
Micheal.
Michael McSweeneyApr 8 2023, 2:55pmCheck out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/9f17VU1DPyb
Robbie WilliamsApr 8 2023, 9:56pmPlease note: This route will now be called: THE BEARA WAY CHALLENGE.
niamh heffernanMay 11 2023, 11:52amHi there, is there an early start available ?
Michael McSweeneyMay 13 2023, 12:31amNiamh,
Yes an early start will be possible as the course will be fully marked. You may be ahead of the marshalls at the water stations though.
Just inform the volunteers at race registration that you are taking an early start, and they will send you on your way.
Micheal.
Seán ManningMay 14 2023, 11:56amWhat time will the volunteers need to arrive on Saturday
Michael McSweeneyMay 14 2023, 6:34pmSean
10am at Castletownbere Sports Hall. It's behind Colaiste Colm. Drive through town, past the Garda Station, next left, then up the hill. That's the hill the Challenge and Ultra will finish on. :-)
Michael McSweeneyMay 14 2023, 10:00pmSorry Sean. Not Colaiste Colm, but Scoil Phobail Bheara. Wrong Cork town.
Bojan PovsicMay 15 2023, 6:49pmHi, is Sports Hall start of the race as well?
Where are registrations?
How many water stations and at which points of the race cca?
Thank you.
Michael McSweeneyMay 16 2023, 1:29amBojan,
Start, finish and registration will all take place at the sports hall.
There will be two water stations, the first at about 11km, the second at about 19 km. But that's a big 'about'.
I'm not really sure what cca is?
We will put up a few more details on the event page tomorrow evening.
Micheal.
Kristen O'SullivanMay 18 2023, 12:13pmCan Volunteers for this event meet at the sports hall behind Beara Community School at 10am Saturday morning
Michael McSweeneyMay 18 2023, 12:44pmFor anyone who needs a bit more running of for family or friends, Bear Island Park Run is on Saturday morning at 930am. Ferry leaves from slip near Super Value in Castletown at 9am. Nice scenic 'International' run.
Seán ManningMay 18 2023, 1:03pmThanks. See ye there at 10
Bojan PovsicMay 19 2023, 12:00amGreat stuff. Thanx Michael.
Michael McSweeneyMay 19 2023, 12:41amREGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN AT THE SPORTS HALL IN CASTLETOWNBERE ON SATURDAY MORNING (20th) BETWEEN 10:00AM AND 11:45AM. No parking is available on the school grounds. Parking is available at the council carpark across from Post Office, next to Garda Station , parking is also available next to the Harbor. Parking in the town is free.
Judith KimenaiMay 19 2023, 2:25pmHi, just wondering if I could sign up for this event tomorrow at the start. I completely missed the messaging about this event (my own fault), and I eould like to check whether it's still possible to run it.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Judith
Eric KelleherMay 19 2023, 5:51pmHi Judith. If you can't enter tomorrow I have an entry for the half but I am unable to attend now. If it's possible to transfer to your name you can have my entry or if it's allowed you could run under my name if you wanted ?

Eric
Eoin KeithMay 19 2023, 6:13pmJudith, all IMRA races are online entry only. If you missed the entry window then you can't participate in the race. No transfers are allowed.

Eric, running under someone else's number would be a very serious safety issue, Please don't ever enable that.
Judith KimenaiMay 19 2023, 7:06pmHi Eoin,
Thanks for the clear explanation. I'll pay better attention next time.
Eric, thanks for the offer. As I understand from Eoin, it is not allowed to transfer tickets. I appreciate your effort to help me out, though!
Dominic ManningMay 20 2023, 10:30amHad to pull out of volunteering (told Michael privately already), issues with my car that only cropped up last night. Very sorry but will make it up at future events.
Derek HayMay 20 2023, 10:08pmA big thanks to Kristan and the team of volunteers for putting on a great event today, it's an amazing route, as remote as it gets with a bit of everything mixed in... Even the weather played ball!!
Brian FlannellyMay 20 2023, 10:44pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Claire MullinsMay 22 2023, 10:31amThis was a super event. A really nice route. Well done to all involved! Thanks to the volunteers!