Irish Mountain
Running Association

Kilmac Running Festival

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Graham K. BusheSep 13 2023, 4:06pmHi everyone,
We're looking forward to seeing you at Kilmac!
Thanks to Lillian for the plug on her Wicklow Way Race forum.
The festival is a busy event with the Friday night and 3 simultaneous races Saturday morning. And a Junior race too.
Of course we'd love to see you coming to run, but we also need a team of volunteers.
So, please visit the shop or click the volunteer button. It'll be great either way.
;)
g
Anne-Marie FlahertySep 21 2023, 10:57amHi Graham!

Will we need chip for the races?

(Have to root mine out)

Looking forward to it!
Graham K. BusheSep 21 2023, 11:52amHi Anne-Marie, Yes, we hope to be using the Chip Timing system.
You've still a bit of time to find it ;)
Con HalpinSep 21 2023, 7:26pmHey guys is there anyone interested in meeting up for a recce for the event in the preceding weeks?
Bernard GaughranSep 25 2023, 10:55amHi. I am a new member planning to do my first race in Kilmac - Long Hill run. Could you advise how I get a chip, etc
Graham K. BusheSep 25 2023, 11:07amHi Bernard, Welcome to IMRA..
Log into your account and go to Membership/Shop/Online entries. (Top of screen, PC)

Here you can purchase your annual membership (Membership year is Jan-Dec)
You can also purchase entry to your chosen race.
When you arrive at race registration you will receive a new race number and timing chip, as part of your membership.

PLEASE KEEP THESE SAFELY.

Your number will be valid for any remaining races in 2023.
Your chip will be valid beyond 2023.
(If either is lost, it can be replaced at a cost of 5 euro.

Enjoy the training, and see you in Kilmac.
g
Bernard GaughranSep 25 2023, 2:17pmThanks. Sorry, I've 2 more questions

I run regularly in the Dublin mountains on the trails. Is there any specific equipment/gear you would recommend for this type of run?

The event is planned to start at 8.30am. Would you advise to arrive 30 minutes before hand to register? And do you expect the race to start on time? Thanks
Graham K. BusheSep 25 2023, 3:07pmNo worries Bernard,
keep asking :)

A rain jacket is mandatory for ALL IMRA Races. It is the only required kit for the Long Hill race.
Must be worn or carried for the entirety of the race regardless of the weather..
Some races may require additional items. See the relevant Race Detail's Page.
The Long Hill race is mostly on trail and tarmac. There are a couple of grassy and stony sections.
I would recommend a good pair of trail shoes.
Depending on the weather conditions, you may wish to bring water/food too.

Yes, please allow yourself plenty of time to park, register, collect your number and chip, and get a warm-up done.

There are a number of races on Saturday morning, so I hope to keep to our tight schedule.
Cathal CurranSep 25 2023, 10:24pmHi there,

Just realised I’ve lost my race number - will there be race numbers registration?

Thanks
Graham K. BusheSep 26 2023, 10:12amHi Cathal,
have another look.
But, yes, you can purchase a replacement number in the shop and collect it at registration.
Please bring your confirmation email.

g
Bernard GaughranSep 26 2023, 4:56pmGraham, what's the deadline before the race for entry and ordering a number/chip? Thanks so much
Graham K. BusheSep 26 2023, 5:39pmHi Bernard,
Entries close 05/10/23. 6pm

Your membership 10 Euro covers the cost of the number and chip.
These can be collected at the registration desk before the race.

You sing in, collect your number, then collect and scan your timing chip at the laptop.

The shop availability details are on the relevant race page,

12km race . Long HIll
https://www.imra.ie/events/details/id/2409/

26km race Sugarloaf-Djouce
https://www.imra.ie/events/details/id/2410/

As RD, I prefer if people don't wait until the last minute to register
That's a hint for everyone :)
Sean ForsythSep 27 2023, 8:15amSinging in at registration Graham?..an interesting concept. Can we put ear plugs as mandatory kit?
Graham K. BusheSep 27 2023, 4:51pmWell now Mr. Smarty Pants.

Looks like I am ahead of the game!

For it is the unofficial launch of National Singing Week 2023!! ha, ha!

https://www.singireland.ie/participation/national-singing-week-2023

The, eh, typo was fully intended

So there!!

Would anyone like to suggest a playlist?
Alan KennedySep 27 2023, 5:09pmEasy, it has to be Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden :-)
Cathal CurranSep 27 2023, 6:38pmThanks re above.

On the music - Long May You Run, by the Stills/Young band.
Mick HanneySep 27 2023, 9:44pmA new song on me, but one for Graham.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6UiJR8RTY4lTGtZWTZSVRo
Mikey FrySep 27 2023, 10:54pmNot a bad song mick the sugar loaf mountain:)
Alan AylingSep 28 2023, 12:11amGood shout Alan!

Follow it up with that other Maiden gem The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Jeff SwordsSep 28 2023, 8:37amAnd moving smoothly on from Alan's suggestion, there's Foals with The Runner, which repeats the sentence "Loneliness of the long distance runner" in the bridge and the chorus consists for

"Oh, when I fall down, fall down
Then I know to keep on running"

which aptly reflects the IMRA spirit.
John BellSep 28 2023, 10:16pmOr Always Ascending by Franz Ferdinand, but maybe that's more appropriate for Nephin ;-)
Alice ClancySep 30 2023, 4:05pm‘Running up that Hill’ by Kate Bush….although i think Brendan Lawlor and the early starters have an excellent cover version ‘Crawling up that Hill’
Graham K. BusheOct 2 2023, 2:07pmHi Everyone.

For those of you who have just hit that Monday afternoon slump, why not cheer yourselves up?
Buy an entry to a Kilmac Running Festival race..

The shop CLOSES THURSDAY 6pm!!

Don't miss i

g
Dave DochertyOct 2 2023, 4:04pmAfter many years experience, the festival RD has seen fit to promote me to senior vice president of parking. So, I'm on to encourage as much carpooling as possible for this event. If you have a spare seat in your car please post on the carpool section of the event page. Please leave plenty of time to allow the volunteers to get you parked. We are trying to avoid tailbacks down the Glencap Road and keep the local residents happy. Parking for this event is only within Fitzsimons GAA park. No parking outside the gate and absolutely NO park along the narrow road up from Kilmac village. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Graham K. BusheOct 4 2023, 4:30pmA big thank you to all those that have offered to help on Friday night or Saturday (or both!)
I have sent emails to all the Saturday crew..

A few more events on the calendar for anyone else who needs to get their volunteering count up :)

g
Graham K. BusheOct 5 2023, 1:34pmOK This is it....

* * FINAL CALL * *

Anyone wishing to run Friday night or Saturday.

We'd love to see you joining us for the Kilmac Running Festival 2023

The shop is closing in just over 4 hours....
Lillian DeeganOct 8 2023, 11:44amMorning all,

Well done to Graham, Angela and all their volunteers for the huge amount of time and help given to this years Kilmac running festival. Another great two day event was had - thanks a lot everyone.

A small amt. of cash was passed on to the hall Reg. crew yesterday morning. If you mislaid money in the car park (or know someone who lost a little cash), will you give me a shout - Lillian.deegan@imra.ie and I’ll follow up.

Cheers, Lillian
Anne HodgeOct 9 2023, 11:25amBrilliant day on Saturday. Thanks Angela and all the volunteers - it was really enjoyable.
Bernard GaughranOct 9 2023, 3:32pmBrilliant event and thank you. Just wondering - when do you normally post the results/times for the runners?
Graham K. BusheOct 9 2023, 3:57pmHi everyone, Thank you for joining us at Kilmac last Friday night and or Saturday.
There are so many people to thank.
All the crew of volunteers, without whom nothing would have happened, let alone run as smoothly as it did.
The marshalling stints were long or isolated, (or both) those at race HQ had a number of jobs to do.

Parking, registration, marshalling, catering, first aid, so many components came together perfectly to see everything worked like clockwork.

All races got underway in time and everyone made it back to the GAA pitch intact.
Thanks to the runners who came to take on the various challenges. I hope you enjoyed them.

Thankfully we didn't experience the rain of the previous weekend and the 5-toppers had no visibility issues.

Congratulations to our race winners.

The results secretary will be working on the results lists. Please bear with us as all finishing times were recorded into one event and will be separated into the 4 races in due course.

kind regards,
Graham
Joseph BoyleOct 11 2023, 4:25pmSome photos uploaded from Saturday, a mixture of all three races. Congrats Graham and Angela on a great event, super atmosphere.