Running Association

Coillte Crone Caper

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganMar 28 2023, 1:00pmHi all,

I'm RD seeking for this mid July race.

Thanks - Lillian
Alan KennedyMar 28 2023, 4:35pmHi Lillian, I will give this a go. Alan
Lillian DeeganMar 29 2023, 10:39amAlan, morning and thanks very much for the offer here. As an IMRA newbie, I love how eager you are - Fair dues! I’ve had another offer for RD and I think if it suits, you could hop in as DRD to get a feel for how things go behind the scenes at this one. No pressure mind. See how you go. Thanks again, Lillian
Alan KennedyMar 29 2023, 11:16amPerfect and I'm happy to do Deputy.
Lillian DeeganJun 23 2023, 10:38amMorning everyone,

I'm on with news of a need to swap dates about a tad.

We have hit a parking bother for July 12th. The Coillte Crone Caper race will now be held on July 19th. As soon as is possible, we'll get the calendar changes made.

To help take the pressure off our two race directors involved in this date change - can I ask members not to be shy in coming forward to give the lads a hand to pull the required race crews together.

Thanks all - Lillian
Joseph BoyleJul 4 2023, 2:59pmHi, Seen as the preceding LL races now have a laptop operator, I can now put out a request for one for this race on the 19th July. We also need 5/6 additional volunteers for the race, and don't forget Ballinastoe on the 12th, I'd say they also still need some volunteers.
Tim GrummellJul 5 2023, 8:34amAny idea how long the junior course on this will be?
Joseph BoyleJul 5 2023, 9:47amTim, It's roughly 5K, I'll get a map up shortly, basically the Juniors start where the race finishes and not in the carpark and they don't do the loop up to Maulin.
Lillian DeeganJul 7 2023, 3:03pmI'm bumping back up RD Joe's shout out for race helpers.

"Hi, Seen as the preceding LL races now have a laptop operator, I can now put out a request for one for this race on the 19th July. We also need 5/6 additional volunteers for the race, and don't forget Ballinastoe on the 12th, I'd say they also still need some volunteers."
Joseph BoyleJul 10 2023, 5:14pmHi, another call for a laptop operator for this race on the 19th and a couple of additional volunteers also. Thanks again to those who've volunteered already. Don't forget Trooperstown on the 26th also, the last LL race of the season.
Joseph BoyleJul 13 2023, 11:52amThanks to everyone who volunteered for the race, we have a full compliment now. If you wish to volunteer could you look to upcoming races and in particular to the last LL round in Trooperstown next Weds week the 26th. I'll get instructions out to volunteers in the next few days.
Henny BrandsmaJul 16 2023, 8:06pmHi Jody, unfortunately can't volunteer for this Wednesdays race, I hope you're other two helpers can manage the parking, sorry for the late reply, cheers Henny.
Joseph BoyleJul 17 2023, 2:58pmHi,
We've had a few volunteers that aren't now available on Wednesday, so I'm putting a late shout out for two more non-running volunteers.
Jason DowlingJul 17 2023, 3:28pmHave put my name down for volunteering Joe.
Joseph BoyleJul 17 2023, 8:20pmThanks Jason and Patsy we're back to a full compliment now.
Joseph BoyleJul 18 2023, 4:07pmJust a quick note in relation to tomorrow evening for those that may not have read the event page.
Parking for the event will be covered by IMRA, please have your IMRA number with you for ID or if you've only just purchased membership please have the receipt open on your phone. There should be an IMRA member on the barrier when you arrive.
For anyone new, registration is at the Waterfall and not the main Powerscourt Estate, they are 6 KM apart.
Please only park in the appointed area.
REBECCA CAROLANJul 19 2023, 1:13pmIs it possible to sign up for tonight? It says entries closed!
Caitlin BentJul 19 2023, 1:34pmHi Joe, A last minute clarification re short course route - The short course stays on the WW and not detour to upper forest road (as per long course) on outward bound part, as per map. Last year I was directed up that ride and back down by stream to WW. Hoping it's as per Map shown:)
Alan KennedyJul 19 2023, 11:46pmTough race tonight but enjoyable as always. Thanks to Joe and crew for great organisation and to Alan for a very well marked course and all that tape was welcome to see especially on the run home. And thanks to IMRA for covering the car parking tonight which was a nice treat.
Conor NolanJul 20 2023, 12:24amThanks Joe and crew for a great race. It is a toughie, but don't we love that :) Great marking by Alan and shout out to all the marshalls for their guidance and encouragement.
Apologies to any early starters that became collateral damage to the Séan vs. Conor death match. Especially Eva who I nearly flattened at the finish line. Sorry.
Brendan LawlorJul 20 2023, 7:30amThanks to Jody, Dan , volunteers and route marshals for another evening of torture in the Wicklow hills.. marginally harder than Ballinastoe I would say due to the severity of the various climbs and the descent of death down to the finish line in a dark forest.. epic !
Richard FoxJul 20 2023, 8:44amOh my goodness yet another cracker. Thanks so much to Jody, Dan, Alan “I can find an Abyss on a snooker table” Ayling and all the super encouraging volunteers out there yesterday. Another momentous event among some amazing folk. Cheers and thanks so much.
foxy
Joseph BoyleJul 20 2023, 9:05amA big shout out to all the volunteers last night who made my job so easy. Dan as DRD, Lillian as First Aid, Alan as Race Marker and Route Designer assisted by Phil on the marking, Conor and Tim on the laptop, who got the results up really quickly. Ian and Ailbhe on Registration and Finish Line Manual Recording, Niall who manned the front gate and came back to assist with the Manual Recording. Rob and Andrew who did a mighty job with the parking and keeping cars moving. To all the marshals Patsy, John, Clare, Derek, Jason, Mark, Phil, Becky and Stephen who did a great job according to all reports from the runners, apologies for not been able to wait for the last few to come in and for not answering any messages as we'd no reception at the finish. A special thank you also to Justin Rea whom I believe was involved in the original concept for all his assistance in dealing with Powerscourt. Thanks also to Powerscourt for the use of this great facility, to Plucks for providing the after race facility and food (or so I believe). Finally thanks to the committee, to Coillte and especially to all the participants who make it all worthwhile. Apologies if I missed anyone.
Warren SwordsJul 20 2023, 10:36amThanks to Joseph and his team for a perfect night of racing.

A sheer joy to run around the hills for an hour or so. Hardest race of the League for me. IMRA needs to amend the race difficulty markings to include an Alan Ayling rating. Great stuff altogether.
Martin BagnallJul 20 2023, 11:19amThanks Jody and team for organising a brilliant race. Lovely route and ideal running conditions.
Alan KennedyJul 20 2023, 1:25pmGreat idea from Warren for an AA rating for any race that Alan marks. That one was savage.
Gerry McGuinnessJul 20 2023, 8:31pmThanks Jody to you and your team for another great nights running.
Turlough ConwayJul 21 2023, 7:53pmGreat event, thanks to volunteers.
Just finished my report. There is an AA rating in there.
Alan AylingJul 21 2023, 11:29pmGlad everyone enjoyed (and hated?!) the race so much. Super race reports Warren & Turlough. That descent off the summit with Bernard, Warren, Liam, Gareth & probably others in the mix... was sublime, every bit as good as Warren described it.
Great job Jody & crew getting it all done on the day. Big shout out to Phil for the help with the marking.
I could try and give credit to Gerry Brady for being the original designer of unnecessarily tough courses on Maulin, but people would say I was passing the blame. It's just the perfect hill for a little fun and mayhem.
Turlough ConwayJul 22 2023, 9:47amThought it was a great running course Alan. A long tough sustained climb (what I was looking for). Steep enough that specific recent mountain running experience or training required: you were'nt going to be able to change out of the road runners and get up there relatively fast without practice.

A direct descent sometimes technical, and then sometimes fast but more or less a direct line towards the finish. Again you're running down a long steep hill, that's the sport, you practice that you'll do well. The variety made it very enjoyable. Everyone I was chatting to after thought it was great and the whole event was great.

One lesson for me occurred after a chat with paul Mahon after. Paul had a close up view of my descending and asked about my footwear. I wore light trail runners and that was a mistake.

I think steep descents you can take them fast and as long as you don't trip you wont end up on your backside as youre steps are light.
If you can't do that you try to take it medium pace (and your grips aren't up to it) you end up on your backside. So it's painfully slow.
Lesson for me is if you're descending is poor going heavy on grips will help your race.

I'll write a proper report this weekend as I'd like to remember the race and don't worry when we chat again it will be me not medal guy who you're talking to...unless you say something that triggers him.
Turlough ConwayJul 22 2023, 9:47amMountain running course*
Barry MinnockJul 24 2023, 9:51amThat's an absolute cracker or a course - top-3 in the calendar for me. Potentially hard on the early starters due to single track areas and feeling on edge to let runners through. My advice is to keep doing your thing - it is for runners coming through to find a way around ...
Only suggestion to course I would have is to change the start point to be at the waterfall - a bit less road (and that's coming from me) and also would ensure everyone takes in the majestic base. Hopefully it stays on the calendar and it's one I'll be back to annually. It's a very honest course - if you're fit, you'll enjoy. If you're not, then that climb-descent-climb combo is a bit on the sadistic side :)
Thanks Joe, Alan & crew for a fab event