Irish Mountain
Running Association

Belmont and Little Sugar Loaf

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Barra ÓFianáilApr 3 2023, 10:16amIs there an early start?
Angela FlynnApr 4 2023, 6:08pmHi -yes there is an early start 7 pm and a juniors race.
John LushApr 10 2023, 9:42amWhat age is the junior race for? Does the junior race start at 7pm or 7.30pm. Thanks!
Suzie O NeillApr 11 2023, 7:38amIs there a link to enter juniors? Thank you
Alistair HodgettApr 11 2023, 3:00pmCouple of seats added to the carpool options for anyone looking for a lift....
Mary CollinsApr 11 2023, 3:01pmRegarding the 3 euro fee for car park, be aware that fee is paid on WAY OUT of car park. Last year, the machine only accepted COINS. So have 3 euro in coins available.
Jeff SwordsApr 11 2023, 3:07pmPretty sure the machine is contactless too.
Paul FlynnApr 11 2023, 3:07pmThe parking barrier in Belmont definitely accepted cards (including apple pay) the last time I was there.
Angela FlynnApr 11 2023, 3:46pmJuniors -see forum posts. https//:www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/5932 and 5487.-Juniours will start after the main race 7.30

Advising headtorches for those of you who may not finish until after 20.20 tomorrow night.
Carlos NunesApr 11 2023, 5:09pmIs the race still going ahead tomorrow even with a forecast of gusts up to 80 km/h?
John CollinsApr 11 2023, 5:49pmGreat if it goes ahead; was going travel up from Mallow. Thank you all!
Eamonn HodgeApr 11 2023, 6:09pm204 entries sold!
Angela FlynnApr 11 2023, 6:35pmWeather warning - the race will not go ahead if there is a status orange warning given -any lower level warning - race only be cancelled if local conditions are high risk and on the advice of the Estate owners.
Mark LindsayApr 11 2023, 8:11pmWhat time would be best to arrive if collecting chip and number for the first time?
Conor O'FarrellApr 11 2023, 9:27pmJust a reminder, vouchers are no longer being accepted at races.

Registration for this race is online only.
Niall HeffernanApr 12 2023, 1:39pmAny update for the race: looks to be pretty bad this evening
Neil FuscoApr 12 2023, 1:52pmBelmont usually close in this kind of weather so I’m not very hopeful
John CollinsApr 12 2023, 3:35pmAny update? On route from Cork
Angela FlynnApr 12 2023, 3:38pmWeather update-as of now the race will go ahead this evening and obviously we are advising extreme caution on the summit....
Registration will take place in 'Arthurs' barn' -that is the building inside the old walled garden of Belmont-
Conor O'FarrellApr 12 2023, 10:55pmHi All

Results are now up. Please send and queries to results@imra.ie.

Con
James CurranApr 12 2023, 11:12pmMy blue Ayrton Senna baseball hat blew away this evening. If anyone found it
Brian KitsonApr 12 2023, 11:18pmYou wouldn’t put a milk bottle out in the weather this evening yet 192 hardy souls came out and were treated to a great race up Little Sugarloaf.
You’d have wanted a few rocks in your pockets to keep you grounded on the summit but otherwise conditions were pretty good for racing on the lee side of the hill.
Thanks to Angela and to each one of her 18 volunteers for putting on such a great event. Results up already…bravo!
Alan AylingApr 13 2023, 12:06amReport up
Mick HanneyApr 13 2023, 7:23amFirst time in Belmont and its an impressive facility.
Great to see the Wednesdays back with old and new faces.
Well done Angela and crew, and thanks to Conor for his laptop supervision and super fast results upload.

The Q out afterwards could surely be addressed if a fee was collected for parking coming in, nearer the venue, leaving the barrier open for exit.
Dave DochertyApr 13 2023, 7:47amThe wind took my dark blue beanie wool hat if anyone found it. I found a world master buff on the course, should be with the race kit if anyone is looking for it.
Dave DochertyApr 13 2023, 7:49amGreat craic last night. Lovely to be back out there with all the heads. Thanks Ange & Co for all the hard work, and chats in the pub.
Mick HanneyApr 13 2023, 8:04amLOST & FOUND.
No sign of race buff or hat in kit. I'll double check.
A pair of Saucony trail runners, UK size 10, were left behind. Now in race kit.
Richard FoxApr 13 2023, 8:07amWow but that was the bizz. It was a breeze for the runners but what a cold gale for the vollies (like jury duty ye should probably get some sort of exemption after such a difficult case). Thanks so much Angela and the crew for putting this one together. Great to be back to the Wednesday stuff (even if I did have me headtorch in me pocket - just in case). Cheers and thanks so much
foxy
Thomas DonohoeApr 13 2023, 8:47amspecial word of thanks to all the volunteers last night for a great race, especially those up the hill!
Brendan LawlorApr 13 2023, 8:55amGreat race in testing conditions.. big thanks and well done to Angela and her volunteer team.. I posted the queries about the two missing hats on a forum in Wales, fingers crossed..
Ken CowleyApr 13 2023, 9:07amHa Brendan, I like your optimism that those 2 missing hats might be found in Wales! I will also check in the Alps, when I fly home to Switzerland in a few days time.. On a more positive note, I have put up a few pics from my post on 'Gate number 2' last night, including that lovely sunset, and some frozen looking runners..
Gerry McGuinnessApr 13 2023, 9:13amThanks to Angela and team for a great start to the Summer league. Testing conditions which added to the great race. Big thanks to all the volunteers especially thoses out on the course .
Warren SwordsApr 13 2023, 9:55amThanks to Angela and all the volunteers for a great race. Easily the worst conditions I've done a summer league race in.

But once you were running, you didn't notice the weather just the steepness of the trail. The actual climb to the summit was a relief.
Mike WalkerApr 13 2023, 10:23amSuper run, nice cheeky little uphill at the end, thank you very much.
James CurranApr 13 2023, 11:34amThose manky old trainers are mine. How did anyone notice them? It was dark. So lost hat and jacket on the moutain and left trainers behind beside where the car was parked. Thanks to Amgela and all the crew for a great run.
James CurranApr 13 2023, 11:38amThanks for collecting the trainers Mick.
Hazel CartyApr 13 2023, 11:40amThanks to Angela and all the volunteers for a well run race. Fairly windy on the route and particularly at the summit. I actually did see a beanie hat in a bush on the way back down close to the turning point for the junior race. Nearly lost by own at the top.
Brian KitsonApr 13 2023, 12:54pmReport up for a little lunchtime reading.
John CollinsApr 13 2023, 1:50pmáWow oh wow! What an adrenaline rush. Wind was so strong at summit that I was literally breathless in places. Coming down at knots; if I had wings I'd nearly have glided down. Well worth the 3 hour door-to-door trip from Mallow. These races will help my cyclocross and cross country no end! Well done to all concerned. Y'all are a sound tribe and great to meet new people like Seán Meehan & the curly haired youngster who pipped me by a whisker on the end line. The old dog for the hard road and the pup for the boreen!!!
Miriam MaherApr 13 2023, 2:44pmReport up, thanks Ange and everyone for a mighty little mountain race.
Tim GrummellApr 13 2023, 4:46pmFantastic race, well done Angela! Alan I just saw your race report, and the only thing I gotta say, is about the barrier (which I know your tongue in cheek about), having all that carparking available right beside the start and finish, not having to walk a km or carpool like most IMRAs, what a luxury, I sat in my car in the queue for the stupid barrier actually thinking my legs are so crippled right now that I probably couldn't of walked to the barrier not to mind up the hill to a mucky feild outside. 3euro well spent!
Niall McGuinnessApr 13 2023, 6:49pmLoved getting back to the Wed evening slugfests last night. Thanks to all, runners and volunteers, who made it happen.
Fergus CrokeApr 14 2023, 9:55amHi

I'm listed as the only DNF. Strava has me completing it in 64:02

Thanks
Alan AylingApr 14 2023, 10:12amFair point Tim, the parking at Belmont is as good as it gets
Eoin HamiltonApr 14 2023, 10:59amThat funny face I pulled on the top of the mountain stuck.
Angela FlynnApr 14 2023, 4:39pmA big thank you to all the volunteers who helped make Belmont a night to remember and for all your kind comments here. i would also like to thank Belmont Estate , who were also extremely helpful and easy to work with too. I demarked the mountain section the following morning in glorious sunshine, and got to enjoy the spectacular scenery on our doorstep. Just for your information and in light of the withdrawal of access to the Zigzags, Little Sugarloaf and Bray Head are private owned and access is given by way of 'agreed access' to which we are and continue to be grateful for. Being from Kilmac (sigh, yes, I know), this area has only very recently been available for use and I am still thoroughly enjoying the different views from the same mountain...
Furthermore, it turns out cash really is king in relation to the parking charges!. Lastly, in reflecting on both Alan's and Tim experience of the car park, I am reminded of how two entirely different perspectives can be equally valid..... ( definition of maturity anyone?)
Jeff SwordsApr 14 2023, 6:26pmWas it Belmont who provided the very pleasant lady to assist with barrier or was she IMRA? Either way she helped speed things up a little for anyone with cash and was pretty chatty in the process.
Miriam MaherApr 14 2023, 6:32pmJeff, I could be wrong on this, but I think that might have been Celia Brabazon, wife of David, who owns Belmont Estate. Either way she was very pleasant alright!