Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
alan murphyJan 9 2019, 12:17amwhen will reg open for this event
Robbie WilliamsJan 9 2019, 7:30amIt will be around mid March
Fergal O'ConnorMar 18 2019, 11:16pmEntry is open now
Fergal O'ConnorMar 18 2019, 11:17pmEntry is open now
John MurrayMar 25 2019, 11:16amReluctantly paid the €70 for the Sli Ultra but €65 for this race also!

Since when has IMRA become a commercial entity?
Robbie WilliamsMar 26 2019, 8:19pmNot a commercial entity John.

Ballyhoura is an event that requires much organizing, and we endeavor to put on good food, dessert, t-shirt, aid stations, hot showers and the like.

I can’t think of another race in the country where you can get all that for such a fee.

If the race loses money , it’s finished, so we have to make sure it covers itself.

Also, at the end of year, all those who have helped throughout the year get a Race Directors prize and also those doing extensive first aid help. These must be covered by race fees, so you see there is a lot of things that need covering with race fees, and also of course, the race prizes themselves.

Please feel free to pop along to the next AGM and any member can look through the yearly accounts and see where the feee go towards.
John MurrayMar 26 2019, 11:04pm.
I would strongly disagree with you there Robbie. You're running 4 races on the same day. 3 of which are limited to 200 runners and the 4th is unlimited. Going by those numbers and the entry fees being charged IMRA can stand to take in €30k plus. What other event on the calendar costs that much to run?

You did the Maurice Mullins last weekend which is probably one of the biggest events to cater for and yet the Ultra race only cost €20!

Not everyone wants a T-shirt or some fancy dessert so why not sell the T-shirt separately for €10 and reduce the entry fee? And dump the trackers...great and all as they are, the races are quite short.

I was at the AGM just gone and according to the Accounts I saw, IMRA is financially well and under no money worries so why isn't this race subsidised if the costs are so high as you make out?

Not all races cover themselves financially and it's usually the smaller weekly and mid-week events that cover these larger distance races. If you are that worried then don't try put on a BIG show...of which is not really the IMRA way!

Ballyhoura was on my list of races for the Ultra Championship League but after seeing the price I wont be supporting it...sorry!

Gordon PlaceMar 27 2019, 10:53amFirstly, wanted to say thanks, and that the events are always brilliantly organized.

I think the grub after is great and gives everyone a chance to sit and chat after the race, and many are hopping in the car for a long drive afterwards.

But John does make some good points.

The tshirt probably could be scrapped without people minding too much, or at least an optional extra. Might add a bit more work to organize them, but you have a cut-off date.
At other events, usually hear more moaning about size, fit or colour than anything else. Most of us probably already have a drawer full of never worn ones. Maybe they could even be scaled back to something for completing the IUC, MLD, MHM etc?

The tracker does seem like overkill on the likes of Ballyhoura although not sure it is being used there?
Brendan LawlorMar 27 2019, 11:01amHeres the Kerry Way Ultra to compare...

'The fee for the Kerry Way Ultra is €125 per person. We use Paypal to accept payments. Once you have filled-in the form below you will be directed to PayPal for payment'

So Robbie's event is about half that price

I think Robbie should be let get on with organising his races and if people think they are too dear, just don't enter. IMRA spoils us unfortunately
Gordon PlaceMar 27 2019, 12:46pmTrue Brendan!

Outside of anything to do with costs, I do think the t-shirt thing could be reconsidered in general. Mine nearly all go for recycling having never been worn. Be one less thing to organize
John MurrayMar 27 2019, 12:49pm-------------------------------------------------------

The Kerry Way Ultra is not an IMRA Event! It's a commercial self funded event and therefore depends 100% on covering it's own running costs Brendan.

IMRA is a non profit organisation who's bank account is healthy so why is it that all 4 races at this event are dearer than any others of its equal on the IMRA calendar? Whats the logical reasoning?

IMRA is an organisation that doesn't discriminate against Age, Gender, Nationality or Physical Ability when it comes to organising events but I feel they are slowly drifting in the direction of financial discrimination against some of its membership.

Maybe the committee should be reminded of Article 2 of the Constitution which states the objectives of IMRA are to organise and 'promote' the sport of mountain running, hill running, and trail running.

-----------------------------------------------------
Mick HanneyMar 27 2019, 1:48pmI do think that €60+ is too dear for IMRA type races.

On the other hand, having just come through the Maurice Mullins organisation, I also believe the €20 is too cheap for this event - the half at least, perhaps the full too.

In this case if the event was dearer people might think twice about booking it. In the end we had an oversubscribed event (perhaps because it was cheap compared to other events). I was disappointed then for find that having organised transport for 220+ people, that nearly 40 people didn't show up on the day - which others would have been happy to take the places of. Also, for €20 we are probably not even covering costs for the Half taking into account everything.
John MurrayMar 27 2019, 2:32pm---------------------------------------------------------

Mick the Maurice Mullins is a perfect example of what I'm trying to get across. Yes it probably didn't cover itself completely in terms of costs but it was a great success at a low entry fee.

There are a number of larger races throughout the year which don't cover themselves either but it all comes down to balancing the accounts at the end of the year. The smaller mid-week races which as you know can have +100 people turn up and be run with no overheads. It's these races that help subsidise the others.

Again I'll repeat, IMRA has a healthy bank balance and and an ever increasing membership year on year so I can't understand why these Ballyhoura races are being put out at these prices other than for making profit!

At the AGM the outgoing Committee asked the floor if there was anything the surplus money could be spent on. Need I say more! lol

--------------------------------------------------------
Robbie WilliamsMar 27 2019, 4:18pmThe IMRA committee and the MMRA committee have two completely separate accounts.

Look the Maurice Mullins was €20 and required the expenditure of just the mug. As I already said, we provide much more (this costs) at the Ballyhoura.

Also, it’s not like we are forcing people to do the races. There is a choice involved.

I already listed the expenditure given for races, as a minimum. I’m going through it every time. All available at every MMRA agm.
We also welcome volunteers for our races, with race committees and on the day, so they can help contribute to the whole building of the race and creating a viable financial structure to support it.

Again, nobody is being forced to do the race.

Still best value for what you get in the country.
Brendan LawlorMar 27 2019, 4:18pmHi John

The Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon cost €60 (for a shorter race) and there were 330 people entered for that

I mentioned the Kerry Way Ultra as a comparable event- I am very aware that its not organised by IMRA.

Another example is the Art O'Neill which costs €140 and there are several hundred people per annum turned away from that event.There are a few online complaints every year about the cost of that too but it still sells out in a matter of hours. So people do vote with their feet either towards or away from events

There are several people who register and do one IMRA race each year costing them €17, over three times what I'm used to paying (and yourself too probably)

Weekly league races for a fiver and the Maurice Mullins Ultra at €20 have us all a bit spoiled like I said

Having said all that I'm sure Robbie and the committee will take your concerns on board into the future
Peter O'FarrellMar 27 2019, 4:26pmWith all this surplus money washing about the place perhaps IMRA could change the first race of the year price to €10 for the 2020 season.
Encouraging non_IMRA runners to take part in events in darkest Laois for a tenner is an easier sell than the €17 Brendan mentions.
John MurrayMar 27 2019, 7:41pm---------------------------------------------------------

Two separate Accounts Robbie? And two separate Committee's? I did not know that. That's interesting!

So MMRA are a completely separate organisation from IMRA as a whole and can plan their own events and charge as they see fit without the IMRA Committee's involvement or approval?

So does MMRA have it's own constitition too or does it piggy back off the IMRA one? Does MMRA have a separate AGM?

As an ordinary IMRA member am I also a MMRA member? If so I'd like to see those accounts. Brendan mentioned the Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon cost €60 and had 330 entrants. I wonder how much change was left over from that €20k takings into the MMRA account?

Maurice Mullins:
GAA Hall for the day
Bus Transfers and returns for 220 Half Marathon runners
Aid Stations with water and sweets
Vans doing Bag Drop transfers

All the above was FREE according to Robbie and the only expenditure was a MUG, hence the low entry fee! lol

Oh wait, they have so much more to offer! I've been to the Sli Mhuscrai event...not much different to any other event I've done in terms of what was on offer. Definitely didn't justify the €70 entry fee.

As for your comment about not forcing people to do the races! It's the exact opposite is what you are doing Robbie! You are alienating some members from taking part by trying to run more complicated events with unjustifiable elevated entry fees!

The more I think about this the more I feel like the MMRA should be re-branded the Munster Mafia Running Association!

IMRA is a voluntary organisation, not for profit and is run by an elected committee to act in the best interests of it's members, to provide them with a range of races / events at affordable prices. If MMRA don't follow that same principle then some serious restructuring needs to be done come the next AGM!

Just to be clear, all the above comments are my own. I'm relatively new to the mountain running scene and have no hidden agenda other than my complete and utter disappointment with these MMRA entry fees.

The more i type the more I think 'CAN OR WORMS', so I'll say no more on the subject. Perhaps somebody who's been around a fair while can educate me in person as to the exact IMRA / MMRA relationship if they see me at an event as I think

Good luck with event!

Robbie WilliamsMar 27 2019, 7:59pmAll entitled to opinions.

Not sure the slandering of the Munster association is justified there John.
A lot of people putting in good work down here.

Nobody forced you to do the Sli. Only you.

I’ll pass your comments onto the committee.

As I said, if you don’t like it, don’t do it.
Gordon PlaceMar 27 2019, 8:12pmJohn,
You are basing your numbers on caps etc that must be stated, but look at the actual entry numbers. 30 odd in the 10km last year, 40 odd in the marathon. 55 in the ultra. And mid week races don't get a third of the leinster numbers in most cases. The Sli had 85, nothing like MM and as much organisation in them all
John MurrayMar 27 2019, 8:53pm--------------------------------------------------------

You're missing the whole point Robbie and what your role is!

I did the Sli Robbie because one of my focuses this year was to concentrate on the Ultra Championship League. You know those leagues that IMRA provide for their members as additional attractions to aim for outside other races.

Well 3 out of 6 of those races now appear to be MMRA run! So while the committee has done their job in providing me with a nice selection of races to chose from I am then 'forced' to succumb to the expensive Entry Fees you set for the likes of the Sli if I want to complete the league.

The Wicklow Way Race also falls into that League and is by far the longest race on the calendar with the most amount organisation and costs. That costs €60! I have no problem paying that for a race of that duration and setup.

The MMRA are on a money making power trip at the moment from what I can see in the calendar Robbie. Running as many events in one day as possible. Can you tell me WHY?

I have nothing against anyone from either side of the fence, it just seems to me that MMRA should just detach themselves from IMRA if that's the route they want to take. At least then the selected IMRA committee can continue to provide for the membership without MMRA dictating their own rules!

Ps: Thanks for taking the time to actually NOT answer 'ANY' of my questions!

John MurrayMar 27 2019, 9:09pm---------------------------------------------------------

@Gordon - They ran 3 races the weekend of the Sli. The Ultra(85), a Half Marathon (97) and a Trail Race(84).

---------------------------------------------------------
Robbie WilliamsMar 27 2019, 9:32pmDo you CHOSE to do the ultra league. And now it’s all our fault ?!
Almost no change in rave fees since last year!

Did you not look at the races & prices from last year and see what they entailed ?’

3-4 races in one day, yes ! It’s called being INCLUSIVE which mean that if I want to experience the Sli for instance but could t do the ultra then I could at least do the half and have a nice day out on nice trails. Or would you suggest we drag all the volunteers down on separate days for each distance????

My role is to help run the MMRA , the Munster committee overseeing the races in this part of the country. I wasn’t aware that I needed to be answerable to you at all times John.

However, rather the than MMRA detach itself which would involve a lot of upheaval, why don’t you detach yourself from MMRA , that is , not bother doing our races.

It seems you have an issue with our races. You totally have the right to.

It’s a difference lie of the land in Munster John, not a fraction of the volume of runners here, as up the country. I started the Ballyhoura experience to provide a run that would be a good day out, which I believe it still is!!

Again, come down to our next AGM in October, and you can have your input then.

Basically, you are on a side of the fence, and I will not tolerate you slamming all the MMRA does. This is a volunteer organization with a ton of man hours. People in IMRA in general work hard and wouldn’t like themselves to be suggested to be “a mafia”. I’m not sure if you are totally aware at how much organization goes into setting up races when you have a full time job and a family but why don’t you give it a whitl before you go slamming MMRA for races that are still EXTREMELY good value .

You said it yourself you are new to trail running. Well I suggest you get some “behind the scenes” action on the organization of races before you throw stones.

Good night now John
Brendan LawlorMar 27 2019, 9:34pmHi John

I’ve tried to answer your main questions as best I could below. Note I am not an IMRA or MMRA committee member

Two separate Accounts Robbie? (Yes)

And two separate Committee's? (YES )I did not know that. That's interesting!

So MMRA are a completely separate organisation from IMRA as a whole (NO)and can plan their own events (YES)and charge as they see fit without the IMRA Committee's involvement or approval? (NO)

So does MMRA have it's own constitition (NO)too or does it piggy back off the IMRA one? (Yes)Does MMRA have a separate AGM? - YES

As an ordinary IMRA member am I also a MMRA member? (YES)If so I'd like to see those accounts. (Go to their AGM)

Brendan mentioned the Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon cost €60 and had 330 entrants. I wonder how much change was left over from that €20k takings into the MMRA account? ( I don’t know)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Robbie, Tom Blackburn and several others are doing Trojan work to develop mountain running in Munster ( and the south east). Your very vitriolic attacks and accusations are unfair and unhelpful.But as Robbie said, you are entitled to your opinion
Gordon PlaceMar 27 2019, 9:38pmTrail race hardly counts, Slí - you‘d bus, grub, top, shower, hall etc. for the 85 runners, to come out of 6k. No one is retiring on the left overs.
Based on last years numbers, Ballyhoura is nowhere near the amount you mentioned.
Mid week races making little or nothing with 50 to 70 runners. If there’s a few quid left over to subsidize remaining year out of bigger weekend races, for first aid kits, first aid courses, fees, end of league prize, race directors prize, development etc. etc. Great!
Alan AylingMar 27 2019, 9:42pmJohn - I take your point about the cumulative cost of completing the Ultra Championship being high, I doubt anyone set out with making it expensive in mind. More likely an unintended consequence of the type of races the Munster lads put on. Maybe something the MMRA and IMRA committees could look at for next year.

What I would say is that after taking part in a good few MMRA distance events in recent years (several Ballyhoura marathons including the recent midnight jobbie, 3 I think Aherlow Loop-de-Loops and a couple of Galty Crossings), I cannot fault those events. Every single one has been organised to an exemplary standard, very enjoyable even if there's all the suffering you'd expect out there on the hill. Showers and good food afterwards, buses to starts, indoor registration... I'm personally a big fan of the technical shirts the lads organise, I wear them all the time! And I have my tea or coffee every morning from my first Ballyhoura mug! A lot of good times had, savage days in the hills enjoyed, friends made, beers drank etc because of those races. Yes, there's a cost to the runner and no harm questioning that cost, but there is undoubtedly a lot of cost in putting on the events as Robbie outlined. For me at least, there has been a great sense of value from those races.

If it's a money making exercise that will show up in the accounts at the end of the year. I don't expect it will.
Remi DelilleMar 27 2019, 9:43pmYikes, everybody! Sounds like we all need to go out for a good run and cool our heads :)

My views are obviously heavily biased as I just moved to Ireland from California, but I remember thinking, when I first looked into IMRA races before moving to Ireland, how cheap all of the races were (I even used it as a pitch to my partner as a reason why moving to Ireland was a fabulous idea!).

I've done the Ballyhoura Midnight Marathon and in retrospect, think that the entry fee was a bargain given how well run the event was. Last weekend, I did the Maurice Mullins Ultra and when I first signed up for it, I was amazed at how a race could be as cheap as 20 euros. It was another spectacularly run event without as many of the amenities as BMM, so I generally understand the cost difference.

I just looked back at some of my registration fees in 2017 and 2018 in the US:
Wasatch 100-miler: $267
Tahoe Rim Trail 50-miler: $167
The Canyons 100k: $240
Berkeley Trail Adventure 50k: $85
Broken Arrow Skyrace 52k: $140
Ohlone 50k: $135

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions on the entry fees in IMRA/MMRA (I didn't even know there were two organizations!), but my opinion, is: Robbie, please keep holding these great events in this beautiful country, and you can count me on me to show up as much as I can.

Looking forward to the next one,

Remi
Alan AylingMar 27 2019, 9:44pmAlso, nothing wrong with the format of several races offered as one larger event. A bit of something for everyone, good craic & atmosphere.
Paddy O'SheaMar 27 2019, 11:25pmJohn,
I'll make you an offer you can't refuse, come to Munster where we keep our friends close.....
On a more serious note, I have competed in and volunteered at all of the events you mentioned, they are top class events. Personalised attacks on a volunteer unacceptable, disagree with MMRA but laying it all at one volunteers door is unacceptable.
Paddy O'SheaMar 27 2019, 11:25pmJohn,
I'll make you an offer you can't refuse, come to Munster where we keep our friends close.....
On a more serious note, I have competed in and volunteered at all of the events you mentioned, they are top class events. Personalised attacks on a volunteer unacceptable, disagree with MMRA but laying it all at one volunteers door is unacceptable.
Tom BlackburnMar 27 2019, 11:57pmIt looks like I am very late getting to the party, but l would just like to explain a little about how Munster operate.
Mountain Running in Ireland is relitavly new it started from the national committee, Leinster and later munster was set up as a regional committee. We were very isolated and ran our events differently from National. We ran a Munster championship as a race in each county and two national championship races were held here carrontoohil and Galtymore. We were very spread out and isolated we often ran races with only a handful of runners.
In the last few years communication has improved transport and directions to get to events has improved.
Since Robbie took over as chairperson in Munster he has performed miracles we now have a large committee with everyone taking on the running of events, we want to run great quality events at affordable prices the quality of the events is very important we are trying to put everything on line and get more involved with national. There are some fantastic people in national as well and they have helped us to grow over the years. At the moment we are working to bring a World championship to Ireland, we feel this and everything else we do is to promote the sport and attract new people. We have even put in ultra distances to our calendar. We look after our volunteers and couldn't run events without their help and we will endever to keep the quality of our at a high standard. If anyone has a problem with the price and wants to run the event without paying for a bus a t-shirt or food or a shower or accomodation, maybe we can look at setting up a menu on the website for each event.
The main thing is we are all mountain runners together fighting for the same sport to make it better for everyone.
Tom BlackburnMar 27 2019, 11:57pmIt looks like I am very late getting to the party, but l would just like to explain a little about how Munster operate.
Mountain Running in Ireland is relitavly new it started from the national committee, Leinster and later munster was set up as a regional committee. We were very isolated and ran our events differently from National. We ran a Munster championship as a race in each county and two national championship races were held here carrontoohil and Galtymore. We were very spread out and isolated we often ran races with only a handful of runners.
In the last few years communication has improved transport and directions to get to events has improved.
Since Robbie took over as chairperson in Munster he has performed miracles we now have a large committee with everyone taking on the running of events, we want to run great quality events at affordable prices the quality of the events is very important we are trying to put everything on line and get more involved with national. There are some fantastic people in national as well and they have helped us to grow over the years. At the moment we are working to bring a World championship to Ireland, we feel this and everything else we do is to promote the sport and attract new people. We have even put in ultra distances to our calendar. We look after our volunteers and couldn't run events without their help and we will endever to keep the quality of our at a high standard. If anyone has a problem with the price and wants to run the event without paying for a bus a t-shirt or food or a shower or accomodation, maybe we can look at setting up a menu on the website for each event.
The main thing is we are all mountain runners together fighting for the same sport to make it better for everyone.
Tom BlackburnMar 28 2019, 12:01amIt looks like I am very late getting to the party, but l would just like to explain a little about how Munster operate.
Walsh RowanMar 28 2019, 12:30amJohn the committee in Munster led by Robbie do a fantastic job running MMRA on a voluntary basis. All who attended last year's AGM voted unanimously for Robbie to continue as president as he's done such a great job and is well thought of. The personal attack is not appropriate.
John MurrayMar 28 2019, 8:01am--------------------------------------------------------

OK...lets clarify something before everyone gets on the 'I love Robbie' bandwagon or starts spouting out the usual statement of 'everyone gives their time on a voluntary basis'...that's not constructive dialogue! I know how a voluntary organisation works!

Firstly, I have no idea who Robbie is or what his involvement is with IMRA other than him being RD on races and his name listed on the IMRA Website contact page as the World Mountaining Running Rep on behalf of IMRA.

Secondly, none of my comments are directed at Robbie personally, from what is said above it seems he does a great job for the Munster region. If I was to critise him in one way right now it would be his responses to me saying 'if you don't like it, don't come!' Not very constructive dialogue I must say.

Thirdly, if people re-read all my comments from the beginning and not just glaze over them (apologies to those who did and made constructive replies) you'll see that my initial frustration with this race was down to the cost of entry. I asked the question when has the organisation I joined (ie IMRA) become a commercial entity. From attending the IMRA AGM it was made clear that IMRA's bank account is healthy so therefore why are these races being run with high entry fees as opposed to others.

Following subsequent replies it then becomes apparent that IMRA is not actually one Organisation...but in fact two Organisations, two bank accounts, two committee's, two AGMs etc. but somehow crossover!?! All very confusing if you look at it from my side as an ordinary member and I'm sure there are many other members who don't actually know that either. On the EVENTS Page of this website (IMRA.ie) the Ballyhoura is listed as an IMRA event, not an MMRA event. In fact there is no mention or at least none I can find on this website as to who the MMRA are or what their connection is with IMRA.

Lastly...if MMRA are in fact a separate entity to IMRA then it's fair to say that they can charge whatever they like, run an event however they like, manage themselves however they like. I have no issue with that what so ever knowing now what I know.

My issue now which I'll take up separately with the IMRA Committee is the lack of clarity and transparency about how these two organisations collaborate.

Patricia BlackburnMar 28 2019, 8:55amHi John, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this outragious rant," a particular president comes to mind"!! Sure your entitled to your opinion and ask questions but in a diginified and respectful manner. Your attack, insuniations and accusations are insulting. How someone can come on a public forum without firstly educating themselves on the subject matter beggers belief!! IMRA/MMRA does it matter?? we facilate you to participate in your hobby!!.Individuals involved do not get finincal gain, all activities and monies raised are transparent if you bothered to do a bit of research you would know this!!.I'm sure you had some valid points and questions but unfortunatily your tone and attitude diverted from them.As you have admitted you don't know how MMRA and IMRA work, you don't know Robbie,I'm pretty sure you don't know me either.If you do decide to do the Ballyhoura Ultra, I'll be there on the organising committee, look me up and I'll sit down with you and explain a few things and answer your questions in a dignified manner.
Robbie WilliamsMar 28 2019, 8:58amOk ..

2nd Point:
Let’s talk about non constructive criticism? You had the first blow here.
Calling us a mafia association topped that so your point there is invalid.
After you tarnished MMRA I said, and still say: if you don’t like it , don’t come. It’s something obvious. I don’t do things I don’t like if don’t have to.

3rd Point:
MMRA is IMRA. Always has been. We just happened to develop some more /slightly different races with a slightly higher price tag than some that were currently there st the time in Dublin. Guess what , it worked, people liked it and still do. So we are providing a good experience for runners.
So what if it’s a difference price and has some extra stuff to give out in return.

IMRA in Munster is MMRA, we have a committee to organize all this as we couldn’t expect Dublin to do that from up there.
There hasn’t been a problem and there isn’t one.

Now, not wasting any more time with this, and entertaining your keyboard warrior side.

Go to AGM of MMRA if you have any concerns.
Paul TierneyMar 28 2019, 9:04am#justiceforjohn
Brendan LawlorMar 28 2019, 9:40am#putdowntheshoveljohnplease
Stuart ScottMar 28 2019, 10:59amVery well said Tom! I think the key thing is that each of the regions are in a very different stage of development so what works for one region mightn't necessarily work for another. It's very important for each region to have the ability to tweak rules to whatever works best for them. Trying to impose the same standard on all regions will just bring everything down.
David CarrMar 28 2019, 11:24amWhat Do you need clarity and transparency on its a voluntary organisation run by dedicated members... John just pay the entry fee and enjoy the races Nobody in the MMRA goes out to make a profit, everything in that organisation is done to further the joy of the outdoors and to develop people's interest in the sport and the mountains in turn, you insinuating that theses races are run for "profit" is wrong... Grand a small excess in one may cover the low entry for another but I can't imagine it's much and if it allows us to continue racing on all these great trails all year then I'm more than happy to pay... I don't see why it's such a big deal about the MMRA having a separate bank account they organise races in the south big deal get over it... Why are you looking for faults where there are none

As regards the "I love Robbie" bandwagon, come on, if he has to soak up the criticism for the hard work he does then people are quiet entitled to show their support for all the hard work and dedication he brings to the organisation in turn....

Its all about running in the mountains at the end of the day
Tanya SheridanMar 28 2019, 12:06pmHi John, in order to enable the Committee to consider and respond to your questions, could you please submit them to commitee@imra.ie?

All members should feel welcome to send your questions, ideas and concerns to this email address!

Please note that the comments on this thread do not necessarily represent the Committee’s position.

Thanks,
The Committee
Alan AylingMar 28 2019, 12:27pmIs there anything to be said for saying another mass?
Brian BuckleyMar 28 2019, 12:27pmMust say I am extremely frustrated and dissapointed by this attack on the MMRA, an organisation that goes above and beyond to organise events that bring us all great satisfaction and enjoyment (sometimes misery too :)) As previously stated here, this is a voluntary Organisation, people do not get paid or make any montetary gain from races/events. Robbie and the guys have put in hundreds if not thousands of hours of dedicated time throughout the years to put on first class events in Munster of varying lengths & difficulties. If it wasn't for Robbie, Tom, Patricia, Trish, Rob, Matthew etc... then we would have very few races in Munster, something that myself and I am sure fellow runners are grateful for. The calendar has grown and grown every year and everyone I know is appreciative of that. Maybe you should get your head around this before finger pointing and making ill informed and slanderous accusations regarding race fees and bank accounts.
The organisation holds an AGM every year so all members can get their say and money/account details can be seen, there has never has been an issue before nor do I forsee one.

If anyone has ever done the Ballyhoura race experience and come away dissapointed or feel cheated out of money then I would be extremely surprised. It is not just a great race but a great day out. €60 for a marathon with stocked aid stations, drop bags at half way, nice tech tee and post race showers followed by a Hot meal with dessert and tea/coffee/biscuits. If you feel this is overpriced then that is your own issue but I don't think you would get all that elsewhere in the county.

I think it's fair to say Robbie is entitled to get support on the forum just as you are entitled to slag him/MMRA off.
Walsh RowanMar 28 2019, 12:28pmMaybe part of the "frustration" displayed by John is founded in an unawareness of the total costs involved in participating in the ultra league. For newer members this may be a surprise as there is a different charging model between IMRA and MMRA events. Would it be an idea, at the start of the year, to publish what the approx entry fee might be for these events, so people can budget accordingly. For the record I'm signed up for Ballyhoura Ultra,it will be my 6th year particpating in a Ballyhoura Marathon/Ultra as I consider it to be a great event and fantastic value. Especially compared to the Great Limerick Run, and yes I know GLR is a for profit event. I also hope to take part in the Galty 7s but have no idea what the cost will be until registration opens, so am budgeting the charge will be similar to the Galtee Crossing. Even though these races are cheaper than private races, a lot of people still need to budget as additional costs such as travel, accommodation etc can come into play.
John MurrayMar 28 2019, 1:00pm---------------------------------------------------------

@ Tanya -

Thanks, I have already emailed you briefly but I have a list as long as my 'Shovel' and will forward to the email you have provided.

---------------------------------------------------------
Brendan LawlorMar 28 2019, 1:04pmI see Tom Blackburn got his spake in three times above ?? Well done Tom !

Might be time to leave this alone now folks ?

Lets get back to Annagh Hill and less controversial topics
Mícheál O'RourkeMar 28 2019, 2:37pmSo are we still getting a cup
Mícheál O'MullainMar 28 2019, 6:32pmJust saw this. There are no words.....save to just confirm support to, and appreciation for, Rob and the team for the great work that is being done on the Munster races.
Sarah BradyMar 29 2019, 9:44amI think for what you get at MMRA events they are fantastic value! I did Slí Mhuscaraí and Ballyhoura last year, and as well as really well stocked aid stations we were all given a proper dinner at the end (with a fab a vegetarian option), and even offered a beer in Ballyhoura! Also, the long sleeve tees we were given are definitely the best race t-shirts in my wardrobe, you'd nearly pay the entry fee to get a tshirt that quality in the Great Outdoors. It would be a lot less work for MMRA if they just charged €20 and provided nothing, but surely it's no harm to have a couple of races on the calendar that are a big day out, and as mentioned below, no one is forced to enter. :)
Paul DriscollMar 31 2019, 10:14pmGood evening folks quick question. I've signed up for ultra but would not be fimilar with the route or the area, just wondering would anyone be doing a recce or training run on course before race day, so a few of us could jump in to see what lies ahead??? Thanks
Robbie WilliamsApr 1 2019, 4:45pmHi Paul

I don’t know if any right now, if they pop up will be after Knockmealdown I reckon keep eye on MMRA Facebook page too.

Race will be fully marked too
Phil behanApr 6 2019, 7:23pmJust booked into the hostel there. Really looking forward to the ultra. Midnight marathon was a fantastic experience. See you all soon.
Robert CunninghamApr 14 2019, 10:59pmI'll be doing a Recce of the first 19K of the ultra on Good Friday morning @ 9am from the Church car park in Kilfinane,
And the last 21k (the half) on Easter Monday @ 9am. Meet at church car park Kilfinane and carpool to Ballyorgan.
Darren CroweApr 15 2019, 10:33amI have an Ultra entry but due to illness haven’t got enough training done to consider tackling it. Is it possible to drop to the half at this late stage, and if so, how? Understand it may not be possible
Robbie WilliamsApr 15 2019, 5:35pmDarren,

Will you mail me at rwpersonaltraining AT Gmail dot com
Lianne van DijkApr 17 2019, 8:26am@Robert Cunningham
I'd like to tag along on Friday (and possibly Monday) if that's alright. See you then.
Robert CunninghamApr 17 2019, 5:13pm@ Lianne Post,see you then.
Phil behanApr 18 2019, 5:17pmIf anyone is driving from Dublin on the Friday evening and returning after could they let me know here ? Will contribute to costs. Thks. P
Shane O'RourkeApr 19 2019, 2:25pmHello everyone
Are last years instructions still good? or will we see an update posted..
Robert CunninghamApr 21 2019, 3:04pm@ shane O'Rourke you will see an updated post soon.
Eamonn LyonsApr 21 2019, 7:58pmHi everyone. This will be my first ultra. Did the midnight marathon and loved it. Just wondering will there be many aid stations and if there is a bag drop point?
Thanks, Eamonn
Robert CunninghamApr 21 2019, 9:29pmHi Eamonn, everyone registered will receive an email with all race details once registration is closed.
There's always a few aid stations and 2 bag drop points.
Eamonn LyonsApr 22 2019, 10:34amCheers, thanks Robert
Neil GunningApr 27 2019, 5:27pmHi all

If anyone is still looking for accommodation I have a mountain lodge booked in Ballyhoura for Friday and Saturday night - there is 4 of us there already. There is a room with a double bed left if any couples travelling are interested it may be ideal. If someone wants both nights or people want only the Friday and only the Saturday that may work. Two of us are doing the ultra and two are doing the 10k.

Fire me an email neilgunning@gmail.com if you’re interested
Paul TwomeyApr 28 2019, 6:02pmHey, would it be possible to get a link for the first half of the marathon route please? I have ultra part 1 and half marathon routes complete. Hoping to carry out recce of the first half of the marathon route Tuesday if anyone wants to go along!!
Robbie WilliamsApr 28 2019, 7:33pmIt should be on the details page lads.

Ps: some small route changes may be in place on the day due to some last minute work by Coillte in two areas.
All will be sign posted on the day though.
Phil behanApr 29 2019, 7:56pmSorry for asking again lads. I haven't got access to my car this weekend and scrambling for a lift going from Dublin on Friday evening returning after the race. If anyone is going could they please let me know on philbert122athotmail.dot.com Thks.
John CarneyApr 30 2019, 12:18pmHi Robbie
Just from reading final instructions is registration/sign on still available on Friday evening like last year.
Kind regards
John
Robbie WilliamsApr 30 2019, 12:41pmHi Lads,
Ignore, that link on the details page is for last years.

Sign in for everything is on the morning.

Apologies for old link
Robbie WilliamsApr 30 2019, 1:02pmAny Ultras no able to do the event can change to the marathon or the 10km race instead. You can just sign in on the morning.

Unfortunately the half is not an option as the buses are full.
Pádraig DoyleMay 1 2019, 2:59pm@ Phil B.
I can give you a lift down, but I won't be going back to Dublin on Saturday. Maybe someone else might give you a lift for the return journey?

Sure let me know if the one-way suits! (you have my email addy). Hope you get sorted!
P.
Phil behanMay 2 2019, 1:27pmThanks @padraig. I've given up on a lift back. I'll try get a car off a friend for the day. Thanks again and see you Sat.
Michael J KellyMay 2 2019, 6:46pmRobbie, I know this is written somewhere but I just can't find it but can you tell me what times and when do we register and get numbers etc for Ultra. Thanks
Michael J KellyMay 2 2019, 6:47pmRobbie, I know this is written somewhere but I just can't find it but can you tell me what times and when do we register and get numbers etc for Ultra. Thanks
Michael J KellyMay 2 2019, 6:47pmRobbie, I know this is written somewhere but I just can't find it but can you tell me what times and when do we register and get numbers etc for Ultra. Thanks
Robbie WilliamsMay 2 2019, 8:14pmhttps://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/5213
Jason DowlingMay 2 2019, 9:25pmHi Robbie,

In the race e-mail for the ultra it referred to "Due to certain Coillte works and fallen trees the course on the original gpx and details page may vary slightly from the course on the day".

I've been looking through the event page for a link to a downloadable gpx. I've also looked through the event page from previous years and apart from the trail-de-trial last year, there's no link to a gpx (except some strava links). Does a single gpx of the route (even if it is the old one alluded to above) exist? If it does exist, is there a link with which I could download it from?

Apologies if I've missed something which is staring at me but have looked through the thread and the instructions and could've find any link to a gpx.

Cheers,
Jason.
Robert CarneyMay 2 2019, 10:24pmJason,

Try this:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmNhXJNVzMcAa2M6gVQF23yNz4E

Rob
Jason DowlingMay 2 2019, 10:48pmThanks very much for that Rob, that worked a treat.

Much appreciated,
Jason.
Robbie WilliamsMay 3 2019, 6:22amYe are sorted??

I will explain changes in morning of race. Not too much of an issue, it will be all marked.
Ronan O'DonnellMay 3 2019, 7:26pmIs it too late to enter?
Ronan O'DonnellMay 3 2019, 7:27pmIs it too late to enter?
Robert CunninghamMay 3 2019, 11:47pmRonan, It's too late to enter.
Fergal O'ConnorMay 4 2019, 5:22pmWell done Robbie and co. I really enjoyed the ultra today. Tough going. Beautiful scenery and nice people. What more could we ask for. Thanks to all the marshals and organisers. Keep up the great work. The beer hit the spot too.
Fergal O'ConnorMay 4 2019, 5:23pmWell done Robbie and co. I really enjoyed the ultra today. Tough going. Beautiful scenery and nice people. What more could we ask for. Thanks to all the marshals and organisers. Keep up the great work. The beer hit the spot too.
Phil behanMay 4 2019, 5:31pmThe Ultra was a fantastic race. Well done Robbie and all the team. Munster hospitality out did itself again. Bravo !!
Brian FlannellyMay 4 2019, 11:31pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Eilis ConneryMay 6 2019, 10:29pmThank you to Robbie and all the volunteers for a great race Saturday and a great setup in Kilfinane Absolutely great day
Adrian HennessyMay 7 2019, 6:53amThanks Robbie and all the volunteers for putting on another great day. 4 races, hundreds of arrows, tons of food, hot showers and great weather! Hate to demote myself but I was definitely 2nd across the line in the Ultra behind Conor. Maybe his chip was playing up.
lorraine Mc mahonMay 9 2019, 8:24pmThank you so much for last weekend, fantastic event and looked after to the best. Brilliant course too..well done guys
Kazimierz PawelczakMay 19 2019, 11:55amhi, when results from the ultramaraton will be visible on the ITRA website ? thanks
Kazimierz PawelczakJun 9 2019, 9:07pmThis question to race director ,Robbie when results from the ultramaraton will be saved on ITRA accounts?
Robbie WilliamsJun 9 2019, 10:12pmHi Kazimierz,

I had thought they were already

I’ll check it out immediately
Kazimierz PawelczakJun 16 2019, 7:36pmRobbie still nothing on the ITRA ...
Richard NunanJun 18 2019, 6:29pmResults are uploaded - but there is a manual step to have them validated, they said these will be done by the weekend if not before (Glacier Lakes and Ballyhoura)
Richard NunanJun 19 2019, 9:32amResults are appearing on ITRA site now. Thanks