Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dublin Mountain Half to Hell with the Fairies

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Anthony AlexanderMay 8 2018, 8:39pmHi, I just noticed this race on the calendar. Is it new? Or resurrection of the previous Dublin Mountain Plod with start/finish in Marlay Park? There are no details posted. Thanks in advance for the info.
Mike JordanAug 10 2018, 2:19pmAny update on the route for this race? Thanks.
Robert CostelloAug 11 2018, 8:38pmHi Mike and Anthony,
I’m RD for this one. The plan is to have a race similar to the Dublin Mountain High race from 2013 (https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1050/) but with some adjustments to the start/finish to avoid as much road as possible and maybe some extra elevation. We’re actually reccing the route tomorrow morning at 8am (welcome to join - meeting at the Merry Ploughboy) and I plan to update the site early next week.
Any questions let me know.
Cheers,
Rob
Gordon PlaceAug 11 2018, 10:28pmSounds good, pity it clashes with the last of the MHM league. Need to get the 4th race in but probably only one or two going down?
Robert CostelloAug 12 2018, 11:19amSo here’s the provisional route. Barring some minor tweaks and logistics to finalise we will be going with it. 23kms and 800m of climbing. Plus bringing back the Tibradden race for those who missed it this year. https://www.strava.com/activities/1766598257
Martsje HellAug 13 2018, 12:43pmRoute looks great! Will this be marked / marshaled or bring map and compass? Thank you!
Robert CostelloAug 15 2018, 5:25pmHi Martsje,
The plan is for a marked route.
Rob
Gordon PlaceAug 16 2018, 11:25amGreat to see Nagles has been moved to the week before so no more clash. Thanks to whoever organized that.
Robert CostelloAug 18 2018, 3:33pmI have updated the race page for some provisional information on this race. Keep an eye out for further details and entry info by early September.
https://www.imra.ie/events/details/id/1620/
Mick StuartSep 9 2018, 4:49pmHi, do we need to register for this race? Or can we show up on the day and use our vouchers? Thanks, Mick
Henny BrandsmaSep 15 2018, 4:17pmHi Robert,is this race still going ahead?
If so do you enter on the day or is it pre- entry only,
Except the route there is not much news about this half marathon.
Regards Henny.
Steve CooperSep 16 2018, 10:37amLooking forward to this one - I guess the event will be open for online purchase pretty soon. Should be great!
steve
Robert CostelloSep 17 2018, 4:44pmHi all,
To confirm, yes the race is going ahead. I have updated the race page with all of the info you need. We're expecting to go live with race entries tonight so keep an eye out. Also, if you have still to make up your volunteering quota for the year, this race is the perfect opportunity. We will need at least 15 volunteers in order for it to go ahead so please put your name forward.
https://www.imra.ie/events/details/id/1620/
Thanks,
Rob
robert.costello at imra.ie
Donal BradySep 17 2018, 6:32pmDid this race move from the Saturday to the Sunday or did I mark the wrong date on my calendar?

Assuming it is on the Sunday, I'm gutted, can't make that day!! :(
Robert CostelloSep 17 2018, 6:36pmDonal. Yes, we had to move it. Apologies but it was necessary to minimise the impact on traffic in the area.
Donal BradySep 17 2018, 6:45pmAt least I'm not losing my mind!

That's a real shame it moved, can understand the reasons though!
Robert CostelloSep 17 2018, 11:18pmHi all, I have had to change the registration info for online payments for race registration only rather than race vouchers. This is consistent with other races of this nature and needed to understand the numbers in advance. So no race vouchers this time I'm afraid. Registration closes at 17:59 on Saturday 6 October.
Thanks,
Rob
Robert FarrellSep 19 2018, 3:51pmWell guys apologies if already confirmed but can't seem to find it but is this a marked route??
Lillian DeeganSep 19 2018, 4:15pm.
Hi there Rob,
Great to see your considering popping down for this one. To answer your Q - the route will be fully marked. If you pull up the race page detail - route marking info. can be seen on the 8th heading down the page.

Lillian ;)
Camille FERRESep 19 2018, 10:27pmHi Everyone,
Is anyone going there and is from Limerick?
Looking for a carpool & I will participate in the petrol fees.
Thanks
Camille FERRESep 19 2018, 10:27pmHi Everyone,
Is anyone going there and is from Limerick?
Looking for a carpool & I will participate in the petrol fees.
Thanks
Stuart ScottSep 20 2018, 10:18amHi Camille,

If you don't get any offers, there's always the Green Bus which will drop you at the Mad Cow and/or Dundrum. I'm sure there'll be plenty passing both those places that could give you a lift to the race.

https://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/dublin-coach-routes.php

Stuart
Camille FERRESep 20 2018, 12:48pmThank you Stuart! I hope I'll find someone :) Otherwise i'll try to make by bus then!
Robert FarrellSep 20 2018, 2:55pmThanks very much Lillian. See you there :)
Robert CostelloSep 21 2018, 12:10amThanks to all who have entered so far. We have 12 volunteers but could do with 6 or 7 more given the distance of the race and the road markings. I'm particularly after a laptop operator, some route marshalls and car park attendants. Please sign up as the race is near Dublin and easily accessible for most and good to get the final credits for the year.
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Robert CostelloSep 21 2018, 12:13amPOST RACE FOOD!
For those of you on the fence for this race, you might find the draw of some post race food in Scholars afterwards appealing. The Committee have just approved a budget for food as we expect to have a hungry bunch of runners at the prizegiving.
Mike JordanSep 21 2018, 8:46amGood to see the Tin-whistle Player volunteer role has been formally recognized by the IMRA committee. About time!!!
Graham K. BusheSep 21 2018, 10:15amI see they have added a new dimension to it...
Playing the Tin-Wiststle AND Running. I like it ;)
Mick HanneySep 21 2018, 2:16pmThat's gas. I can see it now. The race this weekend cannot go ahead as we need a tin-whistler! Although we might get accused of favouritism from musicians with other instruments.
Conor O'FarrellSep 21 2018, 2:48pmI can see it being added to the compulsory kit at this rate. Waterproof jacket and tin whistle must be carried at all times, random checks will be performed. :-)
Graham K. BusheSep 21 2018, 3:37pm@ Mick, I'm sure we could come to some kind of arrangement if RDs are stuck :) and I'd rather take a whistle up a mountain than the harp.
@ Conor, Is that must be carried, or, must be played? :o
Conor O'FarrellSep 21 2018, 5:31pmThe role is somewhat vague at the moment. At the least there should be a playlist. How about songs with a hilly theme?
Harold PerezSep 23 2018, 11:34amHi all
I would love to run this race, it will be my first time with the IMRA.
Could you point me to how do I register?

Thanks
Harold
Harold PerezSep 23 2018, 11:37amNevermind - I found it - Thanks :-)
Paul KellySep 27 2018, 11:21amHi All - I'll be travelling up from Carlow and will have 5-6 seats free in my van if anyone needs a lift? If anyone needs to be picked up en route I'll be driving via the M9 onto the N7 into Tallaght and will be returning the same way. If not full I'll pick up a couple of bodies in Scholars pub.

Regards

Paul
Shane O'MalleySep 29 2018, 2:46pmHi, are you still looking for non running volunteers. A non imra friend said she would like to get involved.

Shane
Anthony AlexanderSep 29 2018, 4:54pmLooking forward to the race. Just wondering about the registration instructions on the event page: if I am preregistered online and have an IMRA number, do I need to also register or sign in on the day?
Robert CostelloSep 30 2018, 12:59pmShane. Yes, we would be very happy for your friend to help. If you email me on Robert.costello@imra.ie I can arrange
Thanks
Rob
Robert CostelloSep 30 2018, 1:02pmAnthony. Yes, everyone has to sign in on the day so we know you have started and in case you don’t finish.
Thanks,
Rob
Robert CostelloSep 30 2018, 10:20pmStrava of the finalised route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1874822379
Cheers,
Rob
Lonergan BrianOct 1 2018, 5:56pmWill there be an early start for this race
Graham ColmerOct 1 2018, 7:36pmHi Robert, I have put my name down as a running volunteer. Happy to help out in anyway before the race. Thanks, Graham
Robert CostelloOct 1 2018, 8:24pmHi folks,
We have considered an early start for this race but as early starts are mainly for evening races we are not planning on one. The race will take the back markers approx 3 hours and we’ll have volunteers out to cover this.
Rob
Stephen MooreOct 3 2018, 2:52pmFolks, given pressure on car spaces, if I cycle up to the hell fire can I leave a bag at the start to collect at the end ? ie will there be someone hanging around at the start ?
Robert CostelloOct 3 2018, 10:31pmStephen,
Yes, there will be 4 or 5 of us at the start and finish so happy to hold onto the bag for you. Just let us know at the start and don't forget it when you finish.
Rob
Keith FahyOct 5 2018, 3:34pmHi Robert,
Keith Fahy here. Any chance you could give me a call on 087 6904236 please? Sunday will be my first IMRA race since I registered in Jan 18. As I'm driving from Limerick I just want to confirm a detail before Sunday. Thank you in advance and apologies for the late request.
Regards, Keith
Ian ConroyOct 5 2018, 5:15pmIt'll be my first race of the year also, though I registered and paid for membership as well as entry to Maurice Mullins Half. I'm presuming I just head up and my number (86) will be there for me? Thanks.
Daniel BatesOct 6 2018, 5:17pmHi. Will my winter running number and chip b ok for this race or do i hav to pick up another? Also i live in firhouse so can take 3 others up to hell fire club, wil b leaving at 8.30 so wil swing by scholars
John MollohanOct 6 2018, 6:23pmHowdy,I have missed the cut-off time for this - mea culpa. Is there any way of entering now?
Andrew MendelsonOct 6 2018, 6:52pmBit late in the day, but in case anyone is checking the forum at this late hour: I can’t see any info on required kit: do we need a proper waterproof taped seams job or will a showerproof jacket suffice?
Keith FahyOct 6 2018, 6:56pmHi Camille. .did you get a drive from limerick? I'm passing through in the morning at 6am.? Can let me know if you need a spin. My number is on an earlier message. Best wishes.
Robert CostelloOct 6 2018, 11:08pmHi all,
Just getting to the forum now after a day of route marking and organising final logistics.
Keith, I won't call you at this hour but if there are any issues in the morning call me on my mobile (in the email I sent). Everything you need to know is on the race page and in the email I sent tonight.
Ian, we will be giving out numbers to first time registrants tomorrow so no hassle there. We do not have the mat so no chip timing.
Daniel, yes you need to use your number for 2018.
Normal rules are showerproof jacket. This applies.
Rob
Andrew MendelsonOct 6 2018, 11:16pmThanks, Rob.
Caoimhin MacMaolainOct 7 2018, 3:54pmThanks very much to Rob, Brian, Lillian and all of the other volunteers at a great Dublin Mountain Half Marathon today. It was all brilliantly organised, marshalled and marked.

I know how much effort and planning Rob Costello has put into getting this new race established, over the past weeks and months. It was a superb event and I sincerely hope it becomes an annual fixture on the calendar.
Mick HanneyOct 7 2018, 4:30pmWell said Caoimhin. Great race, excellent organisation, top class marshalling and marking. A tough mix of terrain but the weather largely played ball. Well done to the first aiders on a busy day. Thanks Rob & team.
Gordon PlaceOct 7 2018, 4:54pmThanks Rob, Brian, Lillian, Warren, Clare, Liam and all the rest of the gang for a great race and route
Ross FitzgeraldOct 7 2018, 7:13pmSuper race today, well done to Rob, Brian and crew for mapping out smashing route that had a bit of everything and for the smooth running on the day. Hats off to Lillian and first aiders too and a speedy recovery to those involved.
Great spot prizes too ;)
Clare KeeleyOct 7 2018, 7:20pmWell done to everyone today! I have put up a few pictures I took earlier, a bunch were just too blurry to put up as runners just going too fast down the hill! Congrats to Rob who put on a great race for everyone, you could see a huge amount of thought and work went into it and Although there were a few DNF's, a bunch of these were down to runners and friends staying with and looking after other runners who hurt themselves so a huge congratulations to you, really lovely to witness.clare
Clare KeeleyOct 7 2018, 7:20pmWell done to everyone today! I have put up a few pictures I took earlier, a bunch were just too blurry to put up as runners just going too fast down the hill! Congrats to Rob who put on a great race for everyone, you could see a huge amount of thought and work went into it and Although there were a few DNF's, a bunch of these were down to runners and friends staying with and looking after other runners who hurt themselves so a huge congratulations to you, really lovely to witness.clare
Rose LeithOct 7 2018, 7:21pmHi Rob, Clare and all who helped out with me today. Sorry to have kept you all out in the cold while I was wrapped up in blankets. I am home and fine. Not sure the fence post faired as well?? Thanks for a brilliant race...I will have to do it all again and finish it next time!
Clare KeeleyOct 7 2018, 7:40pmSo good to hear you are home safe and sound Rose! You left behind what looked like a mini-crime scene:)!
Karen DevenneyOct 7 2018, 9:19pmThanks so much to Rob & team for all the hard work that went into today's race. It was a fantastic route & a great day on the hills! Results are up, email me at Karen.Devenney at IMRA dot ie if any issues
Robert CostelloOct 7 2018, 10:13pmThanks to all volunteers and runners for making today a real highlight for me. Hats off to the massive effort put in by volunteers to make events like this go ahead and finish with everyone home safe. Rosie, I’m happy to hear you go treated and are back home now. I’ll give you a call later in the week to check in and see how you are getting on.
Rob
Adrian HennessyOct 8 2018, 10:32amThanks to the small army of volunteers yesterday for putting on a great race. Especially those who stood out in the cold for a couple of hours or so.
Adrian HennessyOct 8 2018, 10:33amThanks to the small army of volunteers yesterday for putting on a great race. Especially those who stood out in the cold for a couple of hours or so.
Shane O'MalleyOct 8 2018, 10:57amGreat race on a fantastic course. Wonderful mix of different terrains which kept throwing questions at you.

Organisation was excellent which really showed itself when put under pressure dealing with injuries.

Great addition to the schedule and put me down for next year.
Conor MurphyOct 8 2018, 1:04pmMade the trek up from Kerry, one of those "we'll bring the kids to Imaginosity and the Zoo on Saturday and...oh.look, there happens to be a race on Sunday, might chance that" efforts.

Glad I did, enjoyed that, very well marked and marshalled. Thanks to the RD and all who volunteered.
Henny BrandsmaOct 8 2018, 2:07pmA big thank you to Robert and all the volunteers for a marvelous race over the Dublin mountains,as being a local tought I knew all the tracks and trails,but discovered you found another trail unknown to me, it's always great to be out on the mountains and hopefully we can keep this one the calender for next year.
Henny.
Conor O'FarrellOct 9 2018, 9:15amThanks Rob and all the volunteers for host a great event. It was a perfect day for running, although a little on the cold side for volunteering, so thanks to everyone for stating out in the cold so we could run/plod around the hills and forest for a few hours.

Also, glad to hear all the injured are safe and sound, I heard that the first-aid team were busy.

Con