Irish Mountain
Running Association

Croagh Patrick

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Maike JürgensMay 15 2017, 9:48pmafter all the WW relay excitement, some upfront information to help you plan for the Connacht Champs weeekend :):

the Croagh Patrick race this year will feature as a Connacht Champs and Irish Champs race and will be held on SATURDAY, 8th July 2017

Please check the registration guidelines and times carefully. NO money will be accepted at race registration.

Please note the mandatory kit: Jacket, map (printout of the map on the website works) and compass.

so get planning for a lovely weekend in the west
Niamh Ni ChuaigJun 3 2017, 8:58pmHi there! where can I register for the Connacht Champs?
Dermot MurphyJun 3 2017, 9:14pmNiamh, registration probably will not be open for a few weeks yet, it usually opens a week or two before the race.
Dermot MurphyJun 3 2017, 9:14pmNiamh, registration probably will not be open for a few weeks yet, it usually opens a week or two before the race.
Niamh Ni ChuaigJun 4 2017, 12:55pmOK lovely, thanks
Maike JürgensJun 7 2017, 10:52pmregistration is opening on July 1st and will CLOSE on the Friday before the race at 14.00.
To register you have to be an IMRA 2017 member (10 €).

regarding VOLUNTEERS, it is looking a bit sparse at the moment, i am still looking for another 1 or 2 running volunteers to help at registration and, more importantly, a summit marshall, finish line helper and FIRST AIDER. Volunteers have a significantly higher chance of getting cake and a spot price and if you summit marshall you get more time to enjoy the views :)
John GreeneJun 8 2017, 6:47pmhi Maike,
I can do summit marshall for you, and take some photos.
cheers
Maike JürgensJun 12 2017, 6:04pmthanks John, thanks also Daniela and Padraig who since signed,
FIRST AIDER still needed.
Rosemarie FitzGeraldJul 1 2017, 10:13pmIs there a short course this year?
How much navigation is required for this & Nephin?
Maike JürgensJul 2 2017, 9:16pm@Rosemarie: there is no short course for this race as the start and finish line are in physically different locations.
Navigation is required for both races (hence map and compass as mandatory kit). Croagh Patrick is probably easier than Nephin but both races still require confident use of map and compass! you might be best off talking to some of the connacht champ regulars at the Wednesday night races, unfortunately, i am not at those. hope this helps
Maike JürgensJul 2 2017, 9:19pm@all: thanks for all volunteers, i have enough RUNNING volunteers but could still do with one more non-running, preferably first aider.

please note the MANDATORY kit, failure to carry may result in disqualification.

registration will close at 14.00 on FRIDAY.

early start at 11.30 for those usually more than 160% of finishing time.
Stuart ScottJul 3 2017, 10:34amHi all,

Just in case anyone missed it, there's a separate thread for the camping and Saturday night bbq again in Old Head: https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/4574

It's always a great social event and everyone is more than welcome!

Stuart
Maike JürgensJul 3 2017, 9:26pmthanks for volunteering, i have enough volunteers now.
Maike
Rachel CinnsealachJul 4 2017, 2:38pmRosemarie, You will be grand doing the full thing. If you like you can run with me for the whole race. I will be starting early. I'm not sure I'll be doing Nephin, but I am doing Croagh Patrick.
Philip WhartonJul 5 2017, 11:14amConfused as to the time of early start at 11:30 comment. Race is at 13:30? Please clarify if this is right.
Also, can we use race voucher at this event without registering?
Mick HanneyJul 5 2017, 2:13pmre: early start - last year this was 1 hour before main race start.

re: race vouchers - these are accepted at majority of races. So once you are a registered to run in 2017 you should be good to go if you have vouchers.
Maike JürgensJul 6 2017, 7:41amapologies for the confusion.

RACE START is at 13.30

EARLY START at 12.30

REGISTRATION starts at 12.15

vouchers will be accepted.
Donal CashmanJul 6 2017, 11:29pmIs there a CLOSING TIME for registration?
I have a late start and am coming up from Cork....looks like it might be tight for me.
Maike JürgensJul 7 2017, 6:58amregistration will close at 13.15 (pre-registration if you do not have vouchers will close at 14:00 today but you still have to sign in on the day)
Laura McGingJul 7 2017, 12:00pmCan anyone take part in this event or do you need to have qualified/ proved yourself? I did Gaelforce West up CP two weeks ago but otherwise have never taken part in a mountain race. I know the route well but have never 'run' it as such so would be very slow. Many thanks.
Maike JürgensJul 7 2017, 12:05pmhi Laura,

- you need to be a signed up member of IMRA (under purchasing options when you are logged in, 10 euro for the year)
- you need to be registered for the race (either online, online registration will close at 14.00 or use a voucher, voucher can be purchased online also)
- you need to have the mandatory kit at registration and on you for the duration of the race.
- you need to be able to navigate. note that this route is different from the Gaelforce West route, is not marked and traverses the mountain rather than up and down.
- IMRA caters for all speed abilities so you can take the early start at 12.30, just make yourself known at sign in.
hope this helps
Maike
Niamh Ni ChuaigJul 7 2017, 7:13pmLooking forward to tomorrow. Where do we pick up our number?
Maike JürgensJul 7 2017, 7:31pmSign in and number pick up is from 12.15 to 13.15 in the shed behind campbells.parking in the croagh patrick visitors car park.please make sure to bring mandatory kit to registration.
Rene BorgJul 8 2017, 5:35pmGreat to see a new record on the current Croagh Patrick course set today by Jason Kehoe which was by all accounts greatly made possible by the incumbent Brian Furey who set the previous best in the first year of the new course (2011) and seems to have run the third best time ever for the course in achieving his second-placed finish this year. Brian led the pace to the summit and was 30 seconds ahead at that stage being pecked back after the end of the scree on the descent.

A nice revival of the Furey / Kehoe rivalry of the 2011 championships.
Vivian O'GormanJul 9 2017, 8:07pmHi Folks,

A BIG thank you to Maike for doing a great job as Race Director for Croagh Patrick and to all the volunteers. It is a great race and the weather yesterday was fantastic. The views were brilliant.
Thanks also to Paddy and Judy Lord and to Denise. Paddy and Judy marked and marshalled the end of the ridge and Denise looked after the Tea and cakes at the finish.

It is definitely a race worth doing.
Vivian O'GormanJul 9 2017, 8:07pmHi Folks,

A BIG thank you to Maike for doing a great job as Race Director for Croagh Patrick and to all the volunteers. It is a great race and the weather yesterday was fantastic. The views were brilliant.
Thanks also to Paddy and Judy Lord and to Denise. Paddy and Judy marked and marshalled the end of the ridge and Denise looked after the Tea and cakes at the finish.

It is definitely a race worth doing.
Maike JürgensJul 10 2017, 9:30amthanks Vivian
thanks from my side to all the Volunteers who gave up their time so others could enjoy the fabulous day in the hills. big thanks to John for taking pictures at the summit (~160 i believe) and Elizabeth for pictures at the finish (especially the ones with the sheep trying to race also - unfortunately they hadnt signed in)
thanks also to all the runners. i am very pleased to note that all that were kit checked had the mandatory kit including a map and a compass and all respected the fence :D
Barry MurrayJul 10 2017, 11:55amreport up - Part I ;-)
Daniela BoehmJul 10 2017, 11:34pmThanks a million, Maike and crew, for arranging an amazing first day of the CC for us including the most glorious sunshine and a view clear enough to count the 365 islands in Clew Bay! :) It figures we'd get a beautiful day once elusive Mweelrea was off the calendar ;)
John BellJul 11 2017, 11:52pmAnother race report just added.
Maike JürgensJul 13 2017, 7:11amPaddy Lord's pictures from the top of Ben Goram are now uploaded, i tagged as many as possible. thanks Paddy.
most of John Greene's pictures can be found on facebook, thanks John