Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballybraid

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Dermot MurphyMay 2 2016, 7:50amA race director and first aid person needed for Ballybraid. Race can't go ahead without either. I have added my name as a shadow race director if an inexperienced person wants to give it a go.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 4 2016, 9:15pmHi Dermot, will do race director.

Kevin
Mick HanneyMay 4 2016, 10:34pmThanks Kevin. I can mark the very last stretch of the finish, as was done last year, which should help keep people off private land
Kevin O'RiordanMay 5 2016, 7:56amThanks Mick, that's much appreciated
Caroline ReidMay 5 2016, 12:01pmHi Kevin, was just wondering if there will be an early start? I'm not running at the moment but if theres an early start, I'd try power walk it :) If theres no early start, no worries...I wouldn't want anyone having to wait around for me to come in. Many thanks, Caroline
Mick HanneyMay 5 2016, 1:48pmCaroline - a lot of us will be power-walking bits of this! :-)

I expect, if there is sunshine, nobody will mind waiting outside the Glenmalure lodge with a drink in hand ;-)
Kevin O'RiordanMay 6 2016, 12:05amStill need a first aid officer for this race.

Caroline, I hadn't planned on an official early start. I guess I could start some people off at 11 if there's demand for it. I don't mind waiting around for you to finish.
Graham ChampMay 6 2016, 1:49pmThis is my 1st time doing this race & I have not had a chance to recce it. Looking for some advice.

What is the terrain like, muddy & slippy or harder surface (normal or aggressive trail runners?).

I know it is free route choice & I hope people do not mind me asking route advice here. when you get to the top of Mullacor should you come back the way you came or head East on another trail? Is one route easier/harder, faster/slower than the other?
Mick HanneyMay 6 2016, 1:54pmHi,

Underfoot conditions will be a bit of everything. Regular trail runners should do the job.
This is a link to my last recce. If weather conditions are clear the route from Mullacor to the Shay Elliot is clearly visible. If the cloud is down you may need to take a compass bearing or run with someone who is experienced / knows the route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/560775339

Regards,

Mick
Kevin O'RiordanMay 6 2016, 2:00pmIt would be good to have some grip for the last section. Quite steep from control no. 3 to the road.
Graham ChampMay 6 2016, 2:10pmThanks Mick, That is very similar to what I have sketched out but was looking at the map too long to come up with it. I should have asked sooner ;) but it is nice to get some kind of confirmation that I am not a million miles off.
Mike JordanMay 6 2016, 2:39pmMick, I know it was only a recce but it looks like you didn't go to the cairn on Mullacor there ;)
Clearly not doing all that extra distance is why your recce took as long as it took me to race it last year :D
Mick HanneyMay 6 2016, 3:43pmHi Mike, went to the cairn we've always gone to and I've been up there a lot, solo and with others. If you are ahead of me I'll follow just to be sure ;-)
Mike JordanMay 6 2016, 4:05pmIf I'm not mistaken there's another cairn probably less than 100m to the west of the one you went to that I always thought was the top. Ah well, you live and you learn! I'll only get to the top ahead of you if I take the early start :)
Mike JordanMay 6 2016, 4:12pmActually the route description is to go to the 'eastmost summit of Mullacor marked by a pile of stones' so maybe the other cairn is technically the highest point but it's not part of the race!
Rene BorgMay 6 2016, 4:23pmhi Mike, no the Western cairn is lower - the Eastern is the highest point. I was there two days ago and on a clear day you are visibly looking down on the Western cairn. The higher cairn (Eastern-most) is the one 'swimming in mud'.
Mike JordanMay 7 2016, 11:29amThanks Rene. Obviously been too long since I was up there.....I might have to go up there tomorrow to see for myself :)
Kevin O'RiordanMay 7 2016, 1:52pmCaroline will be starting at 11. If anyone else wants to start early, that will be the official early start time. I will be at Glenmalure from 10:30 for registration.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 7 2016, 1:56pmEveryone don't forget that we no longer take cash at races. So if you need to register, get it done by this evening. If you've already registered and have vouchers or a friend with vouchers, no need to worry.

Remember this route is unmarked so map (preferably East West Glenmalure) and compass essential as well as your jacket which is mandatory for all Imra races.
Brian LeonardMay 7 2016, 4:34pmHi Kevin, have you accepted all the volunteers you need for tomorrow?
Kevin O'RiordanMay 7 2016, 4:48pmHi Brian,

Are you able to do first aid? That's the one role I'm missing by the looks of it. Other than that, it looks like I'm okay with the number of volunteers that I have.
Kevin O'RiordanMay 7 2016, 4:49pmBy the way, on behalf of the Glenmalure Lodge can I ask that people carpool to the race if possible. And also try to park near the back of the carpark so it doesn't look like the car park is full for any customers passing by.
Brian LeonardMay 7 2016, 5:33pmKevin, I can do first aid if needed. Can you give me a call to arrange when you get a chance?
Gerard KeatingMay 7 2016, 6:55pmHi All,
Can I buy a voucher of anyone tomorrow? I missed the deadline as was out with the family.
Gavan DohertyMay 7 2016, 8:10pmanyone interested in car pooling from Dublin South East (Blackrock/Foxrock/Booterstown type area)? Let me know, I'm on 086 262 1445. I can drive to you or we can work it out...

Gerard, no problem with voucher use.

Cheers,
Gerard KeatingMay 7 2016, 8:44pmSuper, Thanks Gavan.
I'll ring in the morning if I'm in a position to carpool.
Laurence QuinnMay 8 2016, 5:47pmDid anybody pick up a Harvey map of the Wicklow Mountains on a table outside the Glenmalure lodge today? I foolishly left it there after the run
Karen DevenneyMay 8 2016, 6:22pmResults are up. Any issues email me at karen.devenney at imra dot ie
Philip BrennanMay 8 2016, 6:57pmThanks for a great race today guys & wonderful weather to boot. I left a camel-back on one of the benches outside the Glenmalure Lodge after the race, it is a Quecha brand & has a blue hat & blue jacket inside it. If anyone comes across it please let me know.

Many thanks.
Mick HanneyMay 8 2016, 9:04pmreport up. Any more out there?
Niamh GarveyMay 8 2016, 11:08pmA really great race route today in beautiful sunshine. Thanks to Kevin and the volunteers. A huge thank you to Mick Hanney & James Cahill for talking me through the route beforehand (It was a last minute decision to do this race). And thanks so much to Gavan Doherty for giving me his spare map (I had the compass alright but still don’t know what to do with it!) A recce off Carriglinneen would definitely be advised for me next year – a bleedin’ obstacle course – gorse, thorns in ass, nearly killed a frog, found a few gardens that we weren’t supposed to be aiming for…..soooo pleased to see the road. Would definitely do this race again though!
Paul MahonMay 9 2016, 9:47amI have your map Laurence and bag Philip so hopefully will get them to ye at another race or drop a mail to info at outfront dot ie and we can sort sumtin.

Classic descent off the last peak that again caught out many with gorse and crags whilst in contrast the recce folk did well.

Looking up from the pub in the sunshine was thinking we might mix up an alternative course with a "Free Route choice" decent off Fannerin to the pub for a new loop next year ..................... Thinking starting at bottom of Zig Zags, up Clohernagh, (Maybe include Lug when in the neighbourhood!) Corrigasleggaun, Carrawastick, Croghanmoire, Fananerrin.................. bit longer and relatively simple navigation but still has a few route choice options on it
Stuart ScottMay 9 2016, 10:38amThat sounds good Paul, anything to get rid of that awful fireroad!

Though that route seems fairly similar to the Circuit of Aghavannagh - we could just have that race as well?

Many thanks to Kevin and volunteers for stepping in at the last minute. Excellent organisation, nice pint and chat after and ye even arranged the weather (except for Regina who seemed to be the only person in cloud!). And very sore legs today. What more could you ask for?
Adrian HennessyMay 11 2016, 9:38amreport up