Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballinastoe

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Vivian O'GormanJun 29 2015, 12:44pmDoes anyone know who to contact and/or the
telephone number for the Golf Club beside Ballinastoe about the use of
their car park - you can call or text me on 0874150398 - thanks
Vivian O'GormanJun 29 2015, 1:37pmRace Marker and a few more volunteers needed...
Brendan LawlorJun 29 2015, 3:33pmOffice Tel: 01 2818480
Mobile: 086 859 15 45
ballinastoemensgc@gmail.com
Vivian O'GormanJul 2 2015, 1:31pmHi All -

I still need a Race Marker and more volunteers...
Jenny O'LearyJul 6 2015, 10:46amI'm a bit lost as to exactly where this location is, even though I'm from Kilmac! Can anyone meet me in The Coach House at 7pm so I don't get lost please?

I can drive as I will be over 165% . . .
Martin BagnallJul 6 2015, 11:01amHere's the location in Google Maps:
https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B006'26.7%22N+6%C2%B013'01.3%22W/@53.1074167,-6.2170333,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en-GB
James H CahillJul 6 2015, 11:01amJenny race start location is here: https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/%27%27/bike+rental+ballinastoe/@53.1075062,-6.2858111,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4867a387c0bde52d:0x5734d8f0ab2dfcf4!2m2!1d-6.217145!2d53.107526
Vivian O'GormanJul 6 2015, 1:53pmOk this is what is going to happen...

I have no course marker for this race!!

So the alternative is this - Djouce!!

The start/finish will be in Ballinastoe Wood - run to the boardwalk where
it turns right run straight on up the shoulder to the top of Djouce - turn there and return the same way..

This route will NOT be marked!! So if a couple of non running volunteers would do a marshalling job that would make it easier...

The distance is about 9km
Miriam MaherJul 6 2015, 2:00pmHi Vivian, put myself down to do shadow lap top operator to start learning..or I'd would do marshalling no bother. Can the juniors still run?
Brian E O'ConnorJul 6 2015, 2:14pmI'm not sure if this is the right place to post but this will be my first IMRA run in a log time and I'm wondering what I need on the day? €7 fee and bib number? Any help would be much appreciated.
Brendan LawlorJul 6 2015, 2:21pmThe route Vivian is proposing is the same as the Djouce Solstice run as described here

The route starts at the Ballinastoe car park,(Grid Reference O 194 077) then goes up into that forest with an immediate right hand turn, up the fire road for about 400m and then take a left up the fire break, cross the fire road again, and up track and out onto open mountain. Follow track up until you meet Wicklow Way, right on WW up onto White Hill and then on up to top of Djouce. Up and back is about 9km approx

I'll try to get a few markers out tomorrow evening but its a fairly straightforward route. A marshal at the end of the WW boardwalk coming down off White Hill to turn people east onto the downward track should suffice. Juniors can turn where the track meets the boardwalk and the marshal is located

@Brian its €7 for the race and €10 annual membership
Vivian O'GormanJul 6 2015, 2:37pmThanks Miriam I will tall to you later and yes juniors can
still run..
Jeff SwordsJul 6 2015, 3:31pmHi Vivian,

I'm down as a non runner and I can marshal wherever needs be.
Louis MulleeJul 6 2015, 3:50pmWhat time would you like the volunteers there?
Thanks
Angus TynerJul 6 2015, 4:47pmI'm sure there's some who would like to not run to top of Djouce again...and to run usual Ballinastoe route. I'll mark and under the critical eye of Zoë, I'm sure it'll be marked so that no one goes astray...:)
It'll be same route as last 2 years which differs a little on the western part compared to the map.
I'll need tape (plenty), and need to start early enough (5pm?) to be back for race start as I need to run it for my 7.
Sarah Ní RuaircJul 6 2015, 9:15pmVivian, Angus,

I was the RD for last year's Ballinastoe Race. I marked part of it with Paul Mahon and it took us about 2 hours. I met Paul at 3.30 and we set off. I had to leave Paul to finish the job and head down to set up registration so that we would be ready by 6pm. The race had just started by the time Paul finished the rest of the route on his own.

It is a complex and time-consuming route and I don't think 2 hours is long enough, even for a person with good navigational skills and fitness.

Sarah
Noel TobinJul 6 2015, 9:56pmHi
I am planning running the balinstoe race on Wednesday for the first time. I was just wondering if there is an elevation profile available or if anyone can give me an idea of what to expect. Also doe we need jacket & hat.
many thanks
noel
Angus TynerJul 6 2015, 10:06pmThanks Sarah for the advice, I'll start earlier!
John J BarryJul 6 2015, 10:31pmJimmy Synnet used a mountain bike one year to mark it. He flew around marking it.

I did it on foot one year with Mick one day and Aoife second day. Took us hours. Granted we didn't know the route which didn't help.
Vivian O'GormanJul 6 2015, 11:20pmThanks to Angus and Zoe Tyner for volunteering to mark the course.

Could all volunteers be at race registration at 6pm or as near as possible. I will give you your duties then.

The early start is at 7.10pm for those typically more than 160% of winning time.

There is a Junior short course. This will be marshalled. All Juniors must follow the marshalls instructions.

Car parking is limited. Please car pool if possible. We have permission to park in the Ballinasloe Golf Club accross the road from the woods. There is a charge of 3 Euro per car.There is no parking permitted on the roadside.Please follow the marshalls instructions.

Please don't forget your mandatory jacket.
Stuart ScottJul 8 2015, 2:31pmHi Vivian, Angus,

Is the route the same as the one on the map page? https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1252/

I'll bring a print out :-)

Thanks for stepping up anyway Angus and Zoe, can't wait!

Stuart.
Angus TynerJul 8 2015, 2:43pmThe western part where the course travels south is different Stuart, otherwise the same. See my GPS from last year which was the same as previous year.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/542628405

Visually parts of the route looks different this year because of felling and thinning. I did recce yesterday and had to try route backwards to find one of the paths. Also will bring loppers to open up one section as well.
Damien CoyleJul 8 2015, 11:02pmHey Everyone, hope you all enjoyed that awesome trail run this evening. Just want to say a huge thank you to Viv and his epic team for a fantastic event tonight. Fair play to yous hi. Special shout out to Angus for marking the course. I didn't lose my runners thankfully. See you all next week at the Sugar Loaf. Keep Smiling and Be Awesome. Damien
Vivian O'GormanJul 8 2015, 11:47pmI just want to thank all the volunteers that helped me at tonights
race. Particularly Angus and Zoe for marking the course
so well. It was a great night and very enjoyable.
Andrew HanneyJul 8 2015, 11:50pmMy photos are up!
James H CahillJul 9 2015, 1:48amThank you Vivian and all your helpers for a great day in the hills. Especially thank you Angus and Zoe for stepping in at short notice to mark the course and what a great course it is. It has everything and more
Jason DowlingJul 9 2015, 8:01amBig thanks to Vivian and all the crew for a brilliant race last night and particularly Angus and Zoe for doing such a excellent job on marking the course at such short notice. I ended up on my own a couple of times during the race and only for the quality of the marking, I'm pretty certain I'd have ended up lost on the mountain. A magical mystery tour of a race where you simply didn't know what was lurking around the next corner!! Definitely my favourite LL race!! Thanks to all the volunteers for helping to make such a great race.
Jim FitzharrisJul 9 2015, 10:34amI would like to add my thanks to Vivian for stepping up to the plate for this race and especially to Angus & Zoe for the excellent marking.

I was at the back of the field and relied almost totally on the marking which was really excellent throughout.

For the results, I did the short course in an hour flat. Those doing the short course came in behind the normal finish. On that basis, I alerted those recording manual results but did not want to disturb the laptop operator. Presumably this was picked up later when they reconciled results but just in case …....

Cheers,

Jim.
Warren SwordsJul 9 2015, 10:35amMany thanks to Vivian and all the volunteers. Not an easy race to marshal given the number of midges.

Thanks to Angus and Zoe for marking the course. I think a lot of us were delighted to see them step up to mark the Ballinastoe course.

Such a good course.
Brian McGuckinJul 9 2015, 10:53amGreat course last night. thank's to all..
Mick HanneyJul 9 2015, 11:07amA big thanks to volunteers last night. Particularly Angus for the marking. How you ran it afterwards too I don't know. Fair play!

This question has probably come up before, but when a route requires such a huge effort for marking and then subsequently demarking, is there a point at which we say we should a) look for a simpler route on that mountain or b) look for an alternative route elsewhere.

I love the route on Ballinastoe but we need to be aware of the impact this has on the volunteers supporting it.
Angus TynerJul 9 2015, 11:10amThanks for all the expressions of appreciation. I fear I may be asked to mark again...though Zoë is keen to accept! Never mind that she was off gallivanting after bumble bees while I was pointing out that time was ticking...(she found 2 new species to her)

One only has to read reports from previous years to know how much the Ballinastoe course is enjoyed...even if many of the reports are as a result of people going wrong and going round in circles many times!! I think from 2006.

So once Vivian's threat to race to top of Djouce was announced, I don't think I could have slept if I didn't step up. I think my main concern was of unhappy demarkers, finding the balance of putting out few enough to enable demarking, but enough to guide.

So even though I was doing course 3rd time in 2 days, I was looking for the next marker!

Part of the course I had to do backwards to actually find it, with felling and thinning changing the appearance.

As for the boggy bit, it doesn't take many going through it to really mess it up. I was quite surprised once I reached it in the race, but you did avoid about 80% of it as Zoë and myself found a route through the trees that I didn't see the previous day. Parts of the 80% were much worse!!

Strava flyby is worth a look
http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/?utm_source=strava_activity_header#341911000,3FthFOZfYRS4a2EU5HhhFA+BYRQT1GEU

I do see a couple slight diversions, John L and Warren. The latter could have been diverted by a slightly errant tape which must have blown off. I noticed this on my way round.
Angus TynerJul 9 2015, 11:16amMick depends if volunteers are willing and we were and the demarkers seemed joyful enough and thanked me for not using gorse!!
And the fact that you say you love the route (along with many others) is the reason we were willing.
Jeff SwordsJul 9 2015, 11:55amRe demarking, I did indeed thank Angus and Zoe for their marking skills and lack of gorse use. Some tie the tape as if they're tying the trees and gorse down to prevent them being stolen. From bitter, bitter experience I had a pair of gloves with me but the tape last night was the easiest to get off that I've come across, without risking being unintentionally dislodged, which was great.

As the last person through that boggy section I was expecting either to come across a sea of runners stranded waist deep, or become a victim myself. I feared for the junior lad. After I got through it I looked back and saw the tape through the drier bit the guys found. Looking at the footprints I reckon a lot of us saw the mud and jumped right on in anyway.
Jason KehoeJul 9 2015, 12:23pmNice photo Kevin, one for the yearbook Bernard Fortune! https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/102652/
Ronan HickeyJul 9 2015, 12:27pmYeah I was just behind that junior when we hit the boggy section and I can report he blasted through the mud before showing a not-so clean pair of heels and burning me.

As you can see from the pics, he seems to be pretty light on his feet. https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/102759/

Are we bringing back in that rule where we add ballast to the lighter runners to even things out?

Ro
Mick HanneyJul 9 2015, 1:03pmFantastic result last night by the first lady finisher. Any irish connection for Gerry teams :-)
Paul MahonJul 9 2015, 3:02pmGreat thanks to Angus and Zoe for taking on the challenge of marking the Ballinastoe route and keeping it alive.
The route is not for everyone but generally leaves a lasting impression and a smile on most mugs once conquered which is the intention of this somewhat convoluted and certainly testing race route :-)
Paul KevilleJul 9 2015, 3:39pmThanks again for a great race around ballinastoe. To vivian, angus and zoe and the rest of the volunteers and to Alan for patching me up at the end. It was a long night in a and e. Ended up with 5 stitches in my left knee. Hopefully it won't put me out for too long.