Irish Mountain
Running Association

Carlingford - Fox's Rock

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Paul O'ConnorMay 30 2014, 1:49pmHi,

For someone from the wee county, it's great to see another IMRA race heading in this direction! Just wondering if anyone knows the route for this?

Involved in setting up a parkrun in Oldbrige Estate (Battle of the Boyne site) which is due to start that morning so might not make the noon start but would like to try the route at some stage anyway.
Alan AylingJun 1 2014, 10:35amStart/finish at the junction beside the church on the road out past the Foye Centre.
Up the Tarmac roads and a laneway to a little gate leading out onto the open hillside.
From there - free route choice to Slieve Foye, then Fox's Rock, back via Slieve Foye again.
Only marked/compulsory bit is the road/lane section.
Maike JürgensJun 12 2014, 11:59amAlan, will there be an official early start (sort of 11ish)? thanks
Alan AylingJun 12 2014, 5:23pmHey Maike, yes we can have an early start. 11 sounds good.
Alan AylingJun 17 2014, 7:47amWe are looking for two summit marshals, one for Slieve Foye, one for Fox's Rock. An ideal opportunity to get a non-running volunteer box ticked and to spend a couple of hours enjoying wonderful views. Anyone wishing to do this please make yourself known!
Chris MarkJun 17 2014, 8:49amHi Alan - happy to summit marshal.
Cheers,
Chris
Mick HanneyJun 17 2014, 1:59pmDo we have a map of the route?
Kieran RocksJun 18 2014, 10:42amAlan, I'll do the Foxes Rock summit, if you're stuck for a marshall.
Since Alan says it's a free-choice route between the peaks, anybody who wants to get familiar with the area could run the Flagstaff-Carlingford NIMRA race on Saturday, but if a website map is needed I may be able to help.
Paul SmythJun 18 2014, 11:43amThe IMRA race is on Saturday. The Flagstaff to Carlingford race is on Sunday.
Alan AylingJun 18 2014, 12:16pmRace page now updated with map and details.
Still need another summit marshal!
Patsy Mc CreanorJun 19 2014, 1:31amAlan, I can do summit marshal for Foxes Rock summit Saturday if you still require somebody. (I am familiar with this area).Patsy.
Alan AylingJun 19 2014, 8:18amThanks for the offers lads, much appreciated.

Definitely like to take up either Kieran or Patsy for summit marshal on Fox's Rock. Is either of you particularly keen or not so keen etc?

And Chris for summit marshal on Slieve Foye.

The idea is that marshals will record runners visiting each of the summits, this isn't for race timing, but as a confirmation that all runners do actually visit the required points (it confirms this for the runner as well as for us!) and in the unlikely event of a missing runner, at least we would have some last known whereabouts.

Marshals to be in place in time for 11 o'c early starters arriving at the summits if at all possible.
Chris MarkJun 19 2014, 8:36amGreat. Would any of you be able to give me a lift out from Dublin? I'm near Grand Canal Docks but can travel out by bus/luas to meet.
Cheers,
Chris
Kieran RocksJun 19 2014, 10:14amIf Patsy wants to marshall, work away. Was only offering as I'm not too far away either and didn't want to see ye stuck.
And sorry for the date confusion - the IMRA race on Saturday will be good route choice prep for the race on Sunday instead ... you can never have enough of the Cooleys.
Enjoy.
Alan AylingJun 19 2014, 12:20pmOK, thanks Kieran.
Patsy, you're hired as summit marshal... the pay's rubbish but the scenery's lovely.

Chris I'm heading early (8 am ish) from Kilnamanagh, not far from Kingswood Luas stop if that's any good to you.
Chris MarkJun 19 2014, 12:26pmAlan - perfect, meet you at Kingswood luas at 8? My number's 0852863273.
Patsy Mc CreanorJun 19 2014, 10:00pmAlan, I am happy to do summit marshal at Fox's Rock on Saturday. I intend to be in Carlingford early around 9.30. Will connect with you before I head up to summit. Patsy.
Alan AylingJun 19 2014, 10:53pmSpot on - see you both as stated.
If anyone needs me, my number's 08seven 051nine723.
Cheers,
Alan
Cormac MacDonnellJun 20 2014, 3:58pmHI All..anyone driving up from Dublin that could offer a lift ..?
Maike JürgensJun 21 2014, 7:30pmthanks all for a great race, race report up.
Adrian Hennessy Jun 23 2014, 1:02pmThanks to Barry, Connie and the summit marshalls for running a lovely race in the picturesque Cooley mountains on Saturday - and to Alan for a testing course which saw an attempt at every possible route between Slieve Foy and Foxes Rock. The crow flies route isn't always fastest but I think it was on Saturday with the dry conditions.
Pól Ó MurchúJun 25 2014, 12:11amResults up now.
Sorry about Delay. Barry you might have a look at a couple of results if you still have the list of times. From what you sent me those listed in position 14 and 15 have times faster than those placed above them??? I have entered times given so may be a couple of errors here? Let me know and I can fix easily.
Mick HanneyJun 25 2014, 12:11pmHi Pol, I finished after Kevin, so the 2 runners in between I believe were early starters who I think finished along with Therese. Cheers, Mick
Pól Ó MurchúJun 25 2014, 7:52pmFixed now Mick.