Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dublin Peaks

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
ANN SIMONApr 17 2014, 2:39pmHello,

I was looking at your web site + would like some information concerning a race coming up in 4th of October in the Dublin mountains.

I actually live in France + have joined up with a mountain running club.

We are thinking about coming for this race on the 4th oct.

Could you give me some information as regards :

What is the roughly the biggest height to climb ?

- climb fairy castle + Tibradden ?

- Climb between Tibradden + Cruagh ?

- climb between Cruagh + bog road ?

- climb between Bog road + Kippure ?

This race is classed amongst most difficult in terms of orientation. Is the route well indicated (I'm asking this as we've never done this race before) ? Is there a risk of getting lossed ?

When do we have to check in to participate + what is the price ?

Thanks for your help + looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards.

Ann SIMON

James H CahillApr 17 2014, 3:29pm
Hi Ann,

The Dublin Peaks is a great out and back route. Highest climb is Kippure at approx 754m. Here is a garmin of my route last year, and you can pick out the peaks and see the climbs between them.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=golzgrxbqinoakhe

Almost all the route can be done on trails and tracks (with the exception of approximately 600m over Cruagh Mountain.

Following the tracks will add more distance to the route and there are a number of off track options.

In previous years you registered at the start on the morning of the race (and perhaps someone could confirm for Ann that this is the same this year). You will need to join IMRA to race (€10) and the cost of entry is €7. Great value for a fantastic route in the hills
James H CahillApr 17 2014, 3:32pmAnn I should add that this a totally unmarked route and with the exception of marshals at Pine Forest and the Bog road to Kippure there is no en route guidance. To complete the race on tracks / paths, you will still need decent map reading / navigation skills.
James H CahillApr 17 2014, 3:32pmAnn I should add that this a totally unmarked route and with the exception of marshals at Pine Forest and the Bog road to Kippure there is no en route guidance. To complete the race on tracks / paths, you will still need decent map reading / navigation skills.
Ann simonApr 20 2014, 6:21pmHI James,

Thanks for jour information.

This trail seems a little bit tricky for frenchies ! Well I'm Going to suggest this trail to my running partners. Some have zone trails of 160 km + are very keen on coming to Ireland

At thé Start of Dublin mountains what is roughly thé height ?

Ils there Any other trail that you'd recommend for my group ?
looking forward to hearing from you+ all at Imra.

Thanks again.

Best regards to all at home
James H CahillApr 20 2014, 8:49pmHi Ann,

Well if some of your group are in the 160km plus run distance category, an excellent introduction to the Wicklow Mountains, for those who are up to it, is the Wicklow way race, this is 127km and traverses the entire Wicklow and Dublin Mountains. It is all on tracks and trails and is marked and signposted the entire way (although a map should be brought for clarity). There are support stations en route and there is a maximum time of 21 hours : https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1119

The Dublin peaks is an excellent shorter race and as it can be done almost entirely on tracks (except for approx. 500m over Cruagh and approx. 500m to to the peak of Kippure).

The other longer races are open mountain and do require navigation (unless someone else can see one that might suit?)

The Dublin Peaks race starts at an elevation of approx 275m

One other race you might consider is the Dublin Wicklow Mountain Rescue "Run the Line" Race http://runtheline.ie/ This race is through the Dublin and Wicklow mountains and is on a marked route, but typically covers trails,tracks, single track, technical areas - a bit of everything and it is an excellent route
Joe LalorApr 20 2014, 8:49pmHi Ann, Although the heights of the Peaks in this race are modest (Fairy Castle 537m, Tibradden 470m, Cruagh 521m,Kippure 752m) there are several issues of which you should be aware before deciding to travel for this race. Unlike most IMRA races there is no defined route, a free choice is offered to runners between compulsory check in points, and as such there is no marking. The route is advertised as 30km but some runners over the years have managed to pare this down to 28km by going over some very rough ground, so local knowledge plays a part. For someone without this local knowledge good map reading skills would be essential.
In summary unless you are coming from a mountain navigating background I would advise you to try one of our regular races first.
Noel KehoeSep 22 2014, 4:47pmhello
i hope you are well
i am really looking forward to the event
i have been working on the route for weeks
I was wondering will there be an early start?
also what form is the check in at the controls - are these manned or is it a punch card or what?

your help would be greatly appreciated

kind regards noel
Joe LalorSep 22 2014, 5:53pmNoel, In answer to your questions.

There will be early starts available from 11am.
The checkpoint at old bog road and Kippure will hopefully be manned, all others will have punches which must be used out and back.
Maike JürgensSep 22 2014, 6:10pmHi Joe, i should be able to vonlunteer at the finish from around 14.00 or 14.15 if that is of any use to you (and bring finisher's cakes).
Maike
Joe LalorSep 22 2014, 7:03pmThanks for that Maike, that would be great. I am looking forward to the cake already. There will be a cut off time for eating the cake, if you finish too late it will be all gone. As Boris Johnson says "I have a policy for having cake AND a policy for eating cake"

I am looking for a summit marshall for Kippure and someone to do the old bog road checkpoint/food station (car required)
Pat QuillSep 22 2014, 11:08pmJoe,
I am available to do either role as required.
Joe LalorSep 23 2014, 9:59amThanks Pat, Could you send me contact details to jlalor(at)eircom.net

Joe
Joe LalorSep 29 2014, 4:16pmStill looking for Marshall on Kippure, or as an alternative someone to put up an orienteering punch on Friday evening or Sat. morning.
Rob O'NeillSep 29 2014, 5:33pmHi Joe - I'm planning on running this race on Sat. If you are stuck I can run up & put the control on the summit on Sat morning. Could have it up there at 10.30am.
Joe LalorSep 29 2014, 5:38pmThanks Rob, This race is long enough without going up Kippure twice. I appreciate the offer but am sure I will come up with other solution before Sat.
Rob O'NeillSep 29 2014, 5:43pmgrand Joe, if you are stuck let me know - i am driving over the gap from blessington direction so it will be on my way, so not that bad
Joe LalorSep 30 2014, 5:54pmIMPORTANT NOTICE FOR RUNNERS ON SAT.

It has been drawn to our attention that the summit of Cruagh is on private property and not accessible for Saturdays race.
Therefore checkpoint 3 has been dropped from the race.
As far as I know we are still ok for access to Military Road as long as we stay outside (ie left of)boundary fence running roughly N to S after exiting forest on Mountain Meitheal boardwalk. Could I ask you to respect this as any deviation will only loose the good will of landowners.
Joe LalorOct 1 2014, 9:56pmWeather for Saturdays race not looking too bad at this stage, but come prepared. There will be a mandatory requirement to carry a jacket. Heretofore the spirit of this race was that there was a free choice between checkpoints but taking the Cruagh situation into account (see above post) I am insisting on leg 3(out and back) that runners use the Mountain Meitheal boardwalk. This is incidentally the easy and quickest route. If you are unfamiliar with this please ask at start.

There will be early starts available from 11.00
A shorter course (still quite long) with turnabout at Old Bog Road will be on offer.
Also at OLD Bog Road there will be food & water and an opportunity to retire in emergency circumstances.
Finally a very generous cut off time of 2.30 will operate at OBR, please comply with this
James H CahillOct 4 2014, 5:49pmThank you Joe, Maike and Pat for a great race today and Peter for putting out the most distant controls.

A great day and a great route. One of the best on the IMRA calendar
Joe LalorOct 4 2014, 5:59pmEveryone home safely. A big thanks to Pat, Maike & Peter.
A black bumbag and camel rucksac where left at the finish contact me at jlalor(at)eircom.net to arrange collection.
Results later tonight.
Zoran SkrbaOct 4 2014, 7:35pmFirst of all a big thank to Joe and Maike and Peter. Enjoyed the race even after the bang coming off Tibradden, needed 3 stitches.
Secondly I though the board walk on Cruagh, as per Joe's instructions was mandatory part of the route out and back. I saw quite a few people did not use it... I think if all used it the it would have affected results. I think the only way to enforce mandatory checkpoints or routes is to either have marshals or punch controls.
Joe LalorOct 4 2014, 10:43pmSee below for results, also sent to results sec. for input to data base. Should be formally it place in day or two.
Re boardwalk issue, this was a very late change forced on us as result of Cruagh situation. My main concern was to keep runners off private land at Cruagh and Kilakee. If we had more time I could possibly have held it tighter with control on Glendoo. I had look at this on Wed. but summitt of Glendoo is very indistinct (would be very difficult in fog)so decided to wait for next year to make change.

1. 1759 John Bell 3:09:13
2. 1541 Torben Dahl 3:10:37
3. 2302 Brian O’Meara 3:11:35
4. 268 Zoran Skrba 3:12:00
5. 596 Laurence Colleran 3:14:29
6. 1722 John Ryan 3:14:40
7. 1641 Martina Nolan 3:16:02
8. 1767 John McGregor 3:18:45
9. 759 Don Hannon 3:19:52
9. 2492 Suzanne Kenny 3:19:52
11. 36 Alan Ayling 3:23:04
12. 2093 Denis O’Connell 3:25:08
13. 2067 Rob O’Neill 3:37:59
14. 246 T.J. Keeley 3:38:25
15. 1552 Gerard Keating 3:38:39
16. 1766 James Cahill 3:54:07
17. 1648 Daniela Boehm 4:03:33
18. 1852 John McAuley 4:07:05
18. 199 Donall Flanagan 4:07:05
20. 1943 Annette Kehoe 4:09:20
21. 1663 James Curran 4:12:51
22. 2095 Cathal Watters 4:20:30
22. *** Kieran Watters 4:20:30
22. *** Patrick Sneed 4:20:30
25. 1601 Donal Troddyn 4:28:05
26.1762 Noel Kehoe 4:34:05
27.1697 Berndt Heim 4:41:59
28. 1903 Matthew Sammon 4:46:20
29. 652 Tadhg Crowley 6:24:00

Short Course

1. 1824 Paul O’Grady 3:35:23
Daniela BoehmOct 5 2014, 1:07pmA big THANK YOU to Joe and his volunteers - it's a lot of hours of waiting around and very much appreciated! A fantastic race and even better when there's freshly baked apple cake waiting at the finish - thank you, Maike:)
James H CahillOct 5 2014, 7:35pmGreat race report Dennis.
Mick HanneyOct 5 2014, 7:46pmNice report alright.

Please don't take this as criticism but as learning.. From a race director's perspective for future reference the early starts are there to serve those who will tend to be that bit slower covering the ground. Those who are usually 160% of the race winner in the event. Otherwise Race Directors will face practical difficulties where runners are out early on the course and fast at it, when sometimes the course marking or marshalls aren't quite in place. Thats just something to bear in mind for future events. Glad you enjoyed your first imra event. Powerscourt Rigde is next up if memory serves.
Brían O'MearaOct 6 2014, 9:03amVery enjoyable race. Thanks Joe & volunteers. Thanks to Maike for the Cake.
James H CahillOct 17 2014, 9:48amHi Just wondering if the results of the Dublin Peaks are going to be put on the system as it is the last race of the long distance championship?