Irish Mountain
Running Association

Galtymore

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Vivian O'GormanAug 1 2014, 10:22pmHi Folks,

This is it the final race of the 2014 Irish Championship.It is a close race to final glory particularly for the senior men.

Now I know the results of Slieve Donard are not on our website at the momment. This is due to formatting problems. But we are trying to fix this and hopefully we will come up with a solution.

In the meantime,however,the results are on the Newcastle AC website - www.newcastleac.org and click on results on the home page.

I will put up more information on Galtymore early next week but I do need a few volunteers.

First Aid Person - non run
Laptop Operator - can run
Summit Marshall by 2
Race Registration by 2
Finish by 2
John J BarryAug 1 2014, 10:28pmVivian, I'll do laptop and run.
Vivian O'GormanAug 1 2014, 11:09pmThats grand - thanks John

I should also say that this race is most definitely NOT for beginners. Please DON'T make this your first ever mountain race. If you haven't run a mountain race this year DON'T make this your first either.

If conditions are bad or good the chances of getting lost are real. The route will not be marked and don't even think of trying to keep up with someone else because that just doesn't work.

Mountain running is a great sport but try an easier race first and see how you get on.
Dermot MurphyAug 6 2014, 1:50pmFrom Tom Blackburn -
Hi Lads, We have Tea and Sandwiches and prize giving organised at the Coach Road pub after the race on Galtymore on Sunday. If anyone is coming to the glen of Aherlow for the race there are Two camping sites one is less than a mile from the Coach road pub,and one at Ballinacourty Restaurant.Closer to Galbally, Roy Galvin does accommodation at Tig Roy which can be easily found on the internet. If anyone wants they are welcome to camp on my lawn we also have a few extra mattresses so if you ring me soon you might even have a bed for the night.0876994976.
Vivian O'GormanAug 7 2014, 9:33pmHi Folks,

I am still looking for a First Aid Person and Summit Marshall

The race will start at 1pm.

Race Registration will open at 12pm and close at 12.45pm

Early Start anytime between 12 and 12.30 - just let me know before you go

There is most definitely a kit requirement for this race:
- Windproof Jacket
- Whistle
- Hat and Gloves
- Map and Compass

The map can be downloaded from the details page

This is NOT a beginners race. You MUST be capable of navigating the route on your own

This is the last race of both the Irish Championship and the Munster Championship. Both of these Championships are very tight to call particularly for the men. So if you want to know who is involved have a look at the Championship tables - under leagues on home page. Also the rules that may be applied in the case of a tie between athletes at the end of the last race - under Constitution on the bottom of the home page then Competition Rules and its rule number 6.

Best of luck to all!!
Brian FennessyAug 10 2014, 9:01pmBig thanks to viv and the other volunteers for todays epic race. I thoroughly enjoyed it even if conditions were challenging. And well done to all the runners for taking part. Thanks again brian
Rob McEvoyAug 10 2014, 10:37pmYes well done and thanks to all the organisers and volunteers. It was certainly a day in the Galtees to remember.
Vivian O'GormanAug 10 2014, 11:13pmWell done to everybody today in extremely trying and challenging conditions.

Thanks to Sean and Laura for helping me out especially at the finish and to Jim for helping at registration. Also Trish Blackburn for lasting as long on the Summit as she did and was still smiling when she came down!!

Thanks also to Brian Flanelly for putting the results up so quickly

Finally a big congratulations to Bernard Fortune the 2014 Irish Champion

I think also that Tom Blackburn is the Munster Champion

Well done to both
Conor MurphyAug 11 2014, 10:11amThought it looked pretty benign when we were setting off, then the rains kicked in within a few minutes and before long it was like being inside a washing machine, cold spin, with rocks and hail fired in too. From Galtybeg on was particularly tough, gales and lashing rain with little visibility, it only really eased off when we got below the cloud in the saddle between Galtybeg and Cush. Still, what doesn't kill you and all that.
Maike JürgensAug 11 2014, 10:18amthanks all for a "nice" race, race report up, James i owe you cake :)
Jason KehoeAug 11 2014, 10:49amThanks Vivian for all your work during the championships and all the helpers yesterday. You had your hands full at the end but it all worked out thankfully. We saw the future of racing coverage with the remote controlled quadcopter camera at the start. Give it another 10 years and it will be following the race pack automatically.

Some pretty epic conditions out there in the Galtees, 'washing machine' is right! It was like an underwater dream in places.

The competition was fierce. Well done Rob Cleary for leading the assault and Paul for taking the win.

A big shout out to Bernard Fortune on a great Irish Championship win, I'm sure it's been on your list for a long while. It's been a long season, thanks for pushing me all the way to the very end. We were both seeing stars at the finish line despite all the cloud!

Cheers,
Jason
Conor MurphyAug 11 2014, 6:04pmI realised that my earlier post was all about the weather and made no mention of the organisers and volunteers. I mean, it was a day when even standing around registration was miserable. Fair play to all, thanks so much.
James H CahillAug 11 2014, 6:22pmThank you Vivian and all your assistants for a great day in the Galtees yesterday. It was a trifle chilly on the summits. I hope all those who fell / got hypothermic make rapid recoveries and are out on the hills again very soon. Great race report Maike and I look forward to the cake! Short video of the Galtee excursions is at this link: http://youtu.be/uCztQ740wag
James H CahillAug 11 2014, 6:28pmGreat report from Sam also - very enjoyable read
Pat BarryAug 12 2014, 12:45pmEcho what others have said - what a great (and challenging) day in the hills. Thanks to the race volunteers, espically the responsibly you take on with ensuring the DNFs were accounted for. Loved the reports in particular the comment about the blue sheep wool - I took note of that as well.
Pat BarryAug 21 2014, 11:42amDid the video from the "eye in the sky" ever appear anywhere?