Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav challenge 2 - Glendalough ("Leg 5")

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Gavan DohertySep 3 2013, 8:50amDetails for Nav Challenge 2 are up. The Short Course is similar to the recent Derrybawn Woods Trail. It's been subtitled "Leg 5" as it passes the junction where countless runners go wrong in the Wicklow Way Relay (Leg 5). You can recce all you want, but it's easy with a map..! If any of you have run the Wicklow Way Relay (or thinking of it) but are unsure of the navigation, then this is for you.

The Long course remains a significant challenge.

Please note however, the Short Course will not be a subset of the Long this time. It will have only one checkpoint in common with the Long, and both courses will have a set order in which to visit the checkpoints. This means you'll have to choose Long or Short early on in your run.

Early starts are encouraged, mostly so that prize giving in Lynham's can happen on time! If you want to start an hour or so beforehand (from 9:30am) just turn up on the day. If you want to start much before that contact me (we already have one extra-early start). Unless you're planning to win, groups and GPS units are encouraged!

Any questions feel free to post up here or contact me directly (086 262 1445 or email gavan [dot] doherty [at] 247meeting [dot] com).
Gavan DohertySep 3 2013, 8:57amLooking for RUNNING volunteers (yes, you read correctly, come along, help out a bit, get some good IMRA karma & enjoy the race).

need the following:
- Registration (x 2). we need 2 volunteers to be there at 9:45 ready to run, register themselves and then finish at 10:45 in time for race
- someone to put out short course checkpoints (ideally someone running the long). They're all accessible by mountain bike, should be possible to put them all out in the morning before running
- someone to put out the Long course checkpoints, probably the day before or very early on the day
- photographer

Gerry Cunningham has 'volunteered' to take in the Long course checkpoints by running around picking them up! Literally a 'running' volunteer.....

Andreas, are you still available maybe for registration?

post up here or contact me directly (086 262 1445 or email gavan [dot] doherty [at] 247meeting [dot] com)

thanks,
David Kelly70Sep 3 2013, 9:17amGavan,

You can count myself and Ger Lawlor in as your running volunteers for the registration.

Thanks,

Dave.
David Kelly70Sep 3 2013, 9:20amGavan,

You can count myself and Ger Lawlor in as your running volunteers for the registration.

Thanks,

Dave.
James H CahillSep 3 2013, 7:52pmHi Gavan,
I can put out the markers for the long course but can only do it the afternoon of Saturday if that is of any assistance.
Mick HanneySep 4 2013, 9:00amHi,
There is an open water swimming event taking place in Glendalough on Saturday and Sunday at the upper lough. It starts on Sunday at 10am. This could put pressure on available parking in the upper car park. Might need to be considered?
Regards,
Mick
Rene BorgSep 4 2013, 9:16amThere's an overflow car park in operation now in the grassy field just ahead of the Visitor's Centre. Hasn't filled at any stage the last few weekends (perhaps because of the 5 euro all-day fee) but that'll probably take of any parking issues.
Gavan DohertySep 4 2013, 9:28amThanks Mick,

I've been in touch with them - it's a 3.9k swim on the Sunday, so I'd suspect that the more popular distances will be done on the Saturday and there'll be plenty of room for both events.

On the volunteer front we're getting there (thanks James, Rachel & others). We could still do with a Long course runner to put out some of the of the Short course flags on the morning (running volunteer).

Volunteer on myIMRA, post up here or contact me directly (086 262 1445 or email gavan [dot] doherty [at] 247meeting [dot] com).

thanks,

Sam ScrivenSep 6 2013, 9:15amhi, does anyone have a spare seat for Sunday? From D6 or town or Luas

Sam
o87 2l36574
Ger PowerSep 6 2013, 2:23pmSam

if you can get the dart to Blackrock I can give you a lift. My mobile is O877957146 don't have internet at home so phone or text if you want a lift. I will be leaving early as I want an early start.

Ger
Rachel CinnsealachSep 6 2013, 10:23pmFolk's,

There will be spot prizes for the winners of Nav challenge 2, just like after the first one.

There will also be spots after the third one. Who know's you may win a "kinder egg!" or an Aldi Juicer... Or a cook book, Maps, gadgets, Wine/Chocolate

The winners of the over all NAv challenge will be awarded after Nav challenge 3. There will be four trophies awarded.

1st Male Nav Challenge 2013
1st Female Nav Challenge 2013
1st Male Novice Nav Challenge 2013
1st Female Novice Nav Challenge 2013

We will be having a "social afternoon in Lynams" after the event.

Sam ScrivenSep 8 2013, 8:20pmTough but enjoyable run around Glendalough today. Well done to Finbar McGurren on the win.
Thanks to the Dohertys again for organising, all the volunteers and also to James Cahill who put out the controls yesterday in what were probably pretty miserable conditions.
Angus TynerSep 8 2013, 10:51pmLong report up, which I may edit with more accurate detail when results are up.

Brían O'MearaSep 9 2013, 11:38amThanks to Gavan & volunteers. That was tough - but a great event. Some varied (alternating between nice and awful) route choice options between the points, with a great fast boneshaker finish from point 4.
Stuart ScottSep 9 2013, 12:11pmThanks Gavan and volunteers for another excellent event yesterday. The long course brought back the enjoyable suffering reminiscent of Philip's days - that climb up Camaderry was relentless, but well worth it! The similarly endless number of route choices saw positions traded continuously.

The short course was a nice trail run with complex path networks ensuring a perfect balance of basic map reading within a limited and safe environment, without too much possibility of going badly wrong. For anyone wishing to practice basic nav skills, I can't recommend these highly enough.

Last chance is next Sunday, so here's hoping for a record turnout!

Stuart.
Mick HanneySep 9 2013, 2:33pmJust want to echo the thanks to Gavin & team. These events are some of the most enjoyable that IMRA have to offer.

I was unable to do the long course but the short course was a lovely 12k route in the near vicinity to Glendalough and it opened up to me some new trails that I was previously unaware of. The SI set up is great and gives a potential for earlier starts which help the runner and the race director alike.

I can see a pattern emerging in the long courses. The next event will probably only have 2 or 3 controls with further distances in between :-)
Finbar McGurrenSep 9 2013, 4:15pmThanks Gavan and co for an excellent race yesterday. The route choice between CP1 and CP2 was very interesting. Having taken a direct route to CP1 and encountered some thick ferns I played safe and opted for the Spink route to cp2. Myself and the boardwalk never see eye to eye but this time I managed to get off it without twisting my ankle. Unfortunately some complacency on the other end meant I took a fairly big tumble heading down to the footbridge en route to cp3. My shoulder took a heavy knock but the adrenaline masked the pain all the way to the finish. This mornings X-ray revealed no breaks :)
Angus TynerSep 9 2013, 10:12pmGavan has mentioned in reports that splits have been uploaded to winsplits
http://obasen.orientering.se/winsplits/online/en/default.asp?page=classes&databaseId=27568

and I've just uploaded them to Splitbrowser
http://www.splitsbrowser.org.uk/splitsgraph.php?eventId=6742

that should keep you going for the week!

Glad to hear the x-ray showed nothing Finbar.
Peter BellSep 10 2013, 8:20pmGreat race, loved every minute, had everything. Lookin forward to Sunday. Thanks gav and helpers.
Gavan DohertySep 10 2013, 11:20pmRedacted map up on:
https://www.imra.ie/events/maps/id/1059/

well done Finbarr - that looked painful when you got in, glad there's no breaks.

thanks to everyone that helped, particularly James.

Paul Nolan is next Sunday's planner, and the distances are looking a bit shorter.

see you then.
Brían O'MearaSep 11 2013, 9:32amShorter?!? Heaven forbid. We're just getting used to the longer version.

Those splits stats put up by Angus and Gavan are very interesting. Hopefully there'll be a good turnout on Sunday. These really are the highlight of the IMRA calendar, in my opinion.
Derek KellettSep 11 2013, 1:56pmWell done all, really enjoying this series again this year. Looking forward to next Sunday. Thank you.