- A long distance traverse over the Dublin Peaks (not the original shorter race)
- Sunday 1 September, 2013
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 10 (Extreme) - Extreme, >1,000M ascent or > 30Km
- Race Marking:
- - Route not marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Long Distance Championship
- Entry details:
- No entry details have been entered for this event yet. Entries for league events usually open a couple of weeks before the event
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Getting There:
- Ticknock car park. Gr. O 168242
- Organisers Instructions:
- Race three of the long distance championship. Race starts at entrance to Ticknock Wood. Runners must visit each of the following summits, out and back, and punch a control card. The route between these points is of the runners choosing. There will be a manned checkpoint at the start of the Old Bog road.
Fairy Castle 172224
Bog Road 131196
This race can be completed entirely on tracks of some sort however the distance at 36km is considerable and route finding could be tricky. The recommended map is the new Dublin & North Wicklow Mountains by East West mapping. Note some runners have managed to complete the course in 31km but to do this you will need to go over very rough ground and have good navigational skills
This race will have two cut-off times. 2.30 at checkpoint at the start of bog road up to Kippure and 4.00 at same checkpoint on way down from Kippure. This is standard practice in long distance races. These times are generously set at 200% of the winning time. Runners failing to meet first cut-off must turn back and those missing the second must take the car back to finish.
Accepting these cut-off times for the Dublin Peaks is a condition of entry. Cut-off times are necessary to.
Protect the safety of runners
To make the decision to call out a search for injured or lost runner more promptly
To reduce the time race officials spend in exposed and remote location
A basic kit will be required to be carried, irrespective of weather, and will be checked at start and checkpoint Bog Road, failure to produce a jacket here will lead to disqualification. The kit will comprise of water/wind proof jacket (double top will not suffice), emergency food (gels, sweets etc) map or copy of route. There will be a water and feeding station at checkpoint Bog Road and the facility to retire and get a lift back.
Split times from 2010 and 2011 races:2010 Split Times
2011 Split Times
- Prizegiving Location:
- At finish
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize