Irish Mountain
Running Association

Ballineddan

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyJul 8 2024, 3:05pmThe 4th LC event will be coming up in a no. of weeks. This is one of the most scenic, and less travelled, of the routes on Lug. Its a lovely descent.
A few volunteers in advance would help. Thanks Clare for stepping in as First Aider.
Mick HanneyJul 22 2024, 9:41pmRace will start just in off the road onto the trail of Ballineddan. From here its a clear trail up to Ballineddan, then down a bit before the climb to Slievemaan, then down a bit before the last climb up to Lug. On way back care needed to find the correct line off Lug back towards Slievemaan. From here its a clear trail back to where you started.

After the race we'll go back to O'Keeffe's pub in Knockananna for refreshments and sandwiches and price-giving.
Mick HanneyJul 28 2024, 4:41pmI have updated the race details adding a Google pin location for the Start.

I will need a few more volunteers please. In particular, I need a summit marshal please.
Elva DonnellyAug 1 2024, 11:53amHi Mick, added myself to Volunteer list!
Mick HanneyAug 1 2024, 1:17pmThanks for adding your names to the volunteer list on this one.
Mick HanneyAug 2 2024, 9:57amShop will open for entries in a couple of days. If you are considering running this race, please review the mandatory kit list, including the need for a map. If we are lucky and weather is favorable the navigation is straightforward (you can see where you are going), but if the weather is inclement you may need that backup.

Also, as ever, if you can carpool please do.

After the race we'll adjourn to O'Keeffes pub in Knockananna. Those of you who were there after the Tinahely race will agree its a lovely spot for post-race chats.
Mick HanneyAug 2 2024, 5:04pmI am open to having a short course option which would be from start to Slievemaan and back, a total of 7k.

Would suit runners who wanted to experience open mountain in a safe way as trail is straightforward.

But as it’s unmarked it is not suitable for junior runners.
Mick HanneyAug 4 2024, 12:11pmEvent entries now online in IMRA shop.
Mick HanneyAug 4 2024, 6:06pmRegistration will open at 10:45am. Early start 11.30am. Early start is for those runners normally 160% or higher of winners time.
If anyone is interested in doing a short course (7k option), this is a 12 noon start, with the main race. No early start combined with short course.

Thanks to the volunteers who have put themselves forward. I am ok for volunteers with the exception of a summit marshal, if someone is prepared to do that.
Mick HanneyAug 4 2024, 7:36pmIf you haven't run a Leinster Champs race so far this year, don't let that put you off running this one. Its a lovely route and if the weather is kind its a great run, particularly the downhills.
Niall CorriganAug 5 2024, 10:27amThis would be a really nice, if somewhat deceptive, introduction to open mountain running for anyone thinking of giving it a go. Easy underfoot, no heather or bracken and almost no navigation required (don’t quote me on that). It’s going to be a fast one too, super descents. I’m sorry I’m going to miss it.
Mick HanneyAug 5 2024, 10:45amThe entries are coming in which is great to see.

Route Description.
1. Starting from just inside the gate off the road, you head up the track,crossing a fireroad and going thru a swing gate onto open mountain.
2. Ballineddan is first stage. Just less than 2k distance, with c. 345m of climb, with an avg gradient of 18%, on nice grassy trails.
3. There is a small pile of stones marking Ballineddan peak, the trail continues and descends slightly before the next climb of the day.
Its about 1.6k to top of Slievemaan, which has another pile of stones marking the top. Slievemaan is about 100m higher than Ballineddan and it tends to be a big boggier around the top, weather dependant.
4. Lug is next. The elevation difference between Slievemaan and Lug is 165m, but its deceptive. When you pass Slievemaan you descent down to nearly 700m onto soft ground which marks the col between the peaks. So there is more than 200m of climb on steep, often stony ground to reach the Lug plateau with a flatter run to the cairn.
4.Rounding the summit cairn, its back the way you came. A compass bearing to reach the entry point of the descent towards Slievemaan would be good to have, should visibility be down. That is the only tricky piece of the nav, the rest should be a distinct track. There will be some climbs on the descent, but its mainly good running. If the ground is soft, you'll need good grip to avoid a slip.
5. Towards the end you pass through the swing gate before the last couple of hundred metres to the finish, where you started from.
Mick HanneyAug 5 2024, 6:18pmThanks Niall, sorry you'll miss this one.

Reminder: This is the map you'll need. A fabulous map and arguably the one you'll need most in IMRA races on the east coast. https://eastwestmapping.ie/product/lugnaquilla-glendalough-2/

I have the laminated version which stands up well to all weathers.
Elva DonnellyAug 5 2024, 10:38pmHi Mick, happy to head to the summit for you. May regret saying that if the weather God throw some fun at us next weekend!
Mick HanneyAug 6 2024, 7:50amIf you are happy to do it Elva that would be great. Thanks!
I'll email volunteers later in the week.
Mick HanneyAug 6 2024, 1:02pmVery few entries so far from the ladies of IMRA. It would be great to see more, even if you haven't done any of the other Leinster Champs events.
Graham K. BusheAug 6 2024, 4:18pmRoll up, roll up, roll up...
or rather Hike up, jog up, CRAWL up, and roll down :)

Once again the 'great' Mick Hanney is introducing us to a new approach to Leinster's highest summit. So obviously I had a little look.
The route up goes via the smaller summits of Ballineddan (650m) and Slievemaan (760m)
Don’t be fooled by the numbers though… That first bit of a climb is steeper than I expected. But it did make the climb to Slievemaan that bit easier. With those two out of the way, it’s just a matter of scaling Lug, IF you haven’t opted for the short course, in which case you can just turn and zip back down.
All in all, this looks to be another great from Mick. Lots of nice runnable grassy trails. Might be a bit boggy in places.

As regards nav, the only place to be vigilant is coming off Lug in mist - finding the trail to Slievemaan.
It is a great descent, with one kissing gate just before the finish.

So, even if it’s for an early start, or short course, It is a great route to try… :)
Mick HanneyAug 6 2024, 6:10pmThis might be a suitable playlist for Sunday with some apt song titles.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6VQjN2DfqMIF5rZYtGqvWT?si=2ac3b232d7ef4db8
Mick HanneyAug 7 2024, 3:40pmShop remains open until Saturday for the Ballineddan race. There will be no film crew at this race but no doubt there will be stories to be told.
Alan KennedyAug 7 2024, 4:04pmDamn, so the rumours of James Cameron filming the long awaited sequel on Lug - "The Abyss 2: Alan's Revenge" is not true?? :-(
Mick HanneyAug 7 2024, 11:08pmSong Titles from the Playlist for an 'adventurous' event. A better race would have a shorter playlist!

Its a long way to the top (if you want to rock and roll)
Maps
I don't need a compass
Steep Climb
Lug
Lost My Way
Fell Down a Hole
Down in a Hole
Lost Shoe
Find a Way
All Downhill from here
Finish Line
Mick HanneyAug 8 2024, 10:21am3 more days for entries.
If you are sitting on the fence, it is time to commit.
This is pure open mountaini running at its best.
And a lovely pub for after race chats.
Mick HanneyAug 8 2024, 6:41pmPosted this on Insta the other day, a brief history of Lug race routes.

Looking thru the IMRA history, the mighty Lugnaquillia has been ran in many races.
Here are some numbers, but there may be others not showing on the online history?
Irish and Leinster Champs over 24 races (Fentons route).
Fraughan Rock Glen 9 times
Stone Cross 9 times
Circuit of Avonbeg 7 times
Stone Cross 9 times
Aughavanagh 5 times.
Never mind many Wicklow Rounds.
Any other Lug races?

Next Sunday sees the first race via Ballineddan / Slievemaan? Who will be the first winners? Who will take the strava crowns?
Mick HanneyAug 9 2024, 1:28pmA big thanks in advance to Elva for being our summit marshal on Sunday.
Fingers crossed the current favorable weather forecast continues.
Keep an eye on the forum as I'll post some pre-race reminders for entrants later or tomorrow.
Mick HanneyAug 9 2024, 6:44pmPre-race instructions for entrants / would-be entrants:

Ensure you have your mandatory kit. We will confirm at the registration desk what you need to carry. You can optionally carry water/food too. Make sure your phone is charged and not on silent.

If you have ran an IMRA race this year, bring your race no. If this is your first race this year, you will receive your no. at registration.

Use the google pin on the event to figure how how long it will take to travel to event. Give yourself adequate time based on whether you want to make registration for the early or main start. Those familiar with the normal Lug Fentons registration, we are a few k due east of that.

If you are near 160% of race winner, on average, in recent races please take the early start option. This is a tough route, not your average every day 10k.

When you arrive at the start you’ll be directed to park off the road on the forest fire-road

If the prospect of the full run to Lug puts you off you can do a 7k option which goes to Slievemaan and back on clear trail.

Take a few mins in advance to look at your map and have a bearing ready for the ‘exit stage left’ for the descent towards Slievemaan on the return leg.

Afterwards in O’Keeffes pub in Knockananna, we will have tea/coffee/sandwiches for runners. The pub has plenty of space both indoors or in their outdoor space, weather dependent.

Any questions please ask here.
Mick HanneyAug 10 2024, 6:56pmLooks like its going to be a warm one.
A peaked cap / some water might be in order. Up to individual runners..
Mick HanneyAug 11 2024, 4:34pmThanks all for a great morning at the new Ballineddan race.
We were fortunate to get great weather.

Thanks to:
Elva - summit marshall extraordinaire.
Adrian - Registration and finish line
Clare - First Aid
Francis - Traffic management on and off the hill
Eoin and Cormac - for help with the car parking

My nephew Graham was about on the hill taking photos too.

Thanks also to O'Keeffe's pub in Knockananna for their hospitality.

Having ran Ballineddan a few times myself over the years I have always wanted to bring a race here. Thanks Liam Vines for including it on the Leinster Champs. Feedback from runners was very good and it makes for a good alternate to the usual Lug race.

Results are winging their way to the IMRA results secretary

Podium Results:

Men:
1 Elvin 1:02:33
2 Ben
3 Robbie

Women
1 Becky 1:15:15
2 Orla
3 Joan
Alan KennedyAug 11 2024, 4:36pmThanks to Mick and team for a brilliant new route up Lug. Especially Elva who was summit marshall. Drinks after were most welcome on such a hot day and the sambos and chats after were great in O’Keefes.
Andy KeelingAug 11 2024, 5:06pmGreat new race on the calender. Really enjoyed the whole thing. Thank you Mick and team.
Brian FureyAug 11 2024, 6:18pmGreat new course. Thanks Mick and all involved
Elva DonnellyAug 11 2024, 6:56pmWell done to all today, what a perfect day for some great views too. Was a pleasure to greet you all at the top of Lug. Super job on this one Mick. And thanks to Francis for appearing from the mist to join me on the jog home!
Adrian ClintonAug 11 2024, 8:04pmHuge thanks to everyone involved in organising today. Great day out. And congrats to the winners above, amazing times!
Peter O'FarrellAug 11 2024, 8:13pmThanks to Mick and all his helpers for a super day out. It's a great course, amazed it isn't run more often.
Ben ConroyAug 11 2024, 10:27pmThanks Mick and helpers for great race and for keeping the check-in open so late! think I had 5 mins to spare if only they gave out prizes for cutting it fine.. great route up Lug. Hopefully we keep it on the cal..
Ben
Mick HanneyAug 12 2024, 8:16amThanks Alan, very apt film comparison there.

Ben - the prize for cutting it fine goes to Angus who went back to his car to collect his race no. and started in the 'late' start.

I forgot to mention my own family helper, youngest chap Zac who gave up his morning to hang around a mountain.

Results up. I've noted one error on a short course result which will be corrected.
Mick HanneyAug 12 2024, 2:11pmReport added from RD pov.
More reports and opinions on route welcome.