Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mt Leinster Half

AuthorDateMessage
Paul KellyJul 8 2024, 2:24pmHello, With the race just over a month away I'm putting the call out for some volunteers, most importantly a first aider cos I can't do both ;-) . As we all know that these races can't be ran without ye!
Lillian DeeganJul 11 2024, 12:48pmHey Paul,
I’ve gone in there as FAO specially for you ;) I’d love to run it but the speed just ain’t in me yet. Happy event day prep time to you for now. For the last Half in the league, it’s gonna be a great one I’d be guessing.
Paul KellyJul 29 2024, 10:17amHi all,
With the race a mere 3 weeks away I'm going to put another call out for volunteers I'll need approx another 3 to allow this to go smoothly .
Thanks in advance
Paul
Conor NolanAug 4 2024, 12:01amA couple of queries -
Is it correct to assume that this event, like the other Hal League races, will be fully marked?
GPS allowed is implied (plotaroute) , so would we still need full Level C kit? Map, compass... plastic pants?

Thanks.
Liam VinesAug 4 2024, 12:44pmHow many races have you done?
Two weeks to go until the last race in the Leinster Half Marathon Series.
26 have the 3 races done but 60 have 2 races done. Who is coming to Carlow to claim their T-shirt???

Will Aoifie and Anna be left to fight out for the top spot or will Becky and Emily turn up to steel there thunder ???
Will Enda and Peter show up to rune Con’s Day??
There are battles right throughout the age categories. Even I am hoping Rory has something better to do on the day!!!!!

Anyone who is going to have the three races done at the end please check your T-Shirt size in your profile as I will be ordering the T-Shirts from this information. Keep an eye out on Instagram for the T design...
Will anyone join me in doing Mt Leinster and then Galtymore the next day?????
John Murphy74Aug 4 2024, 1:02pmLiam, on behalf of Wexford I lay claim to Mt Leinster and I will be planting a Wexford flag at the summit!!
Lillian DeeganAug 4 2024, 4:17pmHon the Yellow Bellies - Hup! @John I’ll help you ;)
Karlo KraljicAug 13 2024, 10:28pmIll copy/paste Conor's post in hope we both could get an answer.

A couple of queries -
Is it correct to assume that this event, like the other Hal League races, will be fully marked?
GPS allowed is implied (plotaroute) , so would we still need full Level C kit? Map, compass... plastic pants?

Thanks.
Alan AylingAug 13 2024, 11:55pmHello Conor & Karlo,

In keeping with the rest of the Leinster Half Marathon series, the route will be marked. Don't expect excessive marking (it's a long route!), but adequate marking will be in place at junctions. Much like at the likes of Brandon Hill & Croghan.

As a marked race over this distance, the Level B kit will apply. No need for map, compass or plastic pants. But do bring all the Level B stuff - waterproof jacket, hat/buff, gloves, foil blanket or similar, whistle phone. Exact kit to be carried willbe advised ar Registration. Food, water, anything else you like to carry for a race this length are optional.

Race page info has been corrected to reflect the above. GPS is allowed for this race (even if the race page says No; I couldn't correct that bit)
Conor NolanAug 14 2024, 10:31pmThanks for that Alan
Liam VinesAug 15 2024, 10:43pmLast day to enter the last race of the league.
We will have food and drinks at the finish area. Bring your own cup...
Check your T-Shirt size in your profile if you are going to have the three races done. They will be ordered Monday..
See you on Saturday morning.
Francis ConroyAug 16 2024, 2:49pmWhy not just mark up the Blackstairs EastWest map with the route and car parks; I guess Plot a Route & satelite images are grand if you have done a recce
Paul KellyAug 16 2024, 2:50pmHi All, I've sent an email out to all volunteers with info about the morning.
John CurtisAug 16 2024, 5:14pmJust wondering if there will be an early start option at 10.30 ?
REBECCA CAROLANAug 16 2024, 7:35pmWill there be anyone there tomorrow who is collecting old trail shoes/runners??
Lillian DeeganAug 16 2024, 8:23pmYou can pop them in my car Rebecca if you wish. I’ll see Alice or Andy next week.
Clare KeeleyAug 16 2024, 9:27pmHi John, I can see right at the bottom of the ‘race organizers instructions’ it says early start 10am, hope this helps.
Liam BoweAug 16 2024, 9:49pmYes, early start is 10am.
Loaded a couple of pics there this evening:
One of the view from cairn on Black Rock past the turfcutters cottage to the mast (15k to 18.5k on the route).
Other of the 'Enda Cloake' right turn at 10k (for clarity, markers swinging to the right and green arrow pointing right means turn right)

Few other bits:
Gate off the mountain at 9k is in rag order and will need care opening and closing as you pass through it.
There are animals on the hill - cattle, sheep and deer (possibly goats too).
Metal stile at c.20k on way down from the mast needs ultra careful negotiation - you will thank me for this warning and can curse RD Paul if you have an altercation with it (cos it will win the altercation!)

The going is definitely soft in places and it defo will feel like a half marathon, but the scenery off the back of the Black Rock with heather and furze in full bloom and also dropping down from the stile over the Carlow countryside will make it all worthwhile - enjoy everyone.
Elva DonnellyAug 16 2024, 10:00pmThanks for this Liam, ready to go now.

All this talk of Wexford side, Carlow side is bringing out my Carlow roots (Sheerins, The Ridge)...but far maybe for a warm down jog up to it for a pint!
Elva DonnellyAug 16 2024, 10:00pmThanks for this Liam, ready to go now.

All this talk of Wexford side, Carlow side is bringing out my Carlow roots (Sheerins, The Ridge)...bit far maybe for a warm down jog up to it for a pint!
Alan KennedyAug 17 2024, 5:26pmThanks Paul and Liam for putting a cracking race today. First time up Mt. Leinster and loved it. Very heavy under foot at times so glad this was a Summer race. Food, drinks and fruit after was perfect. A great end to the new Half League.
Mick HanneyAug 17 2024, 5:26pmTake a bow Paul, Niamh, Karl, Liam, Lillian and team for a great event today.
The route was fantastic (and fantastically tough) and was an education in the hills and trails around Mount Leinster.
Much as I love / hated the climb up Black Rock, it would make a great alternate route to the normal Mount Leinster race.
Fair play to the Cork lady who skipped by me on that particular uphill.
The marking was ace, the marshals patient and encouraging to most of us slogging past.
The bog was deep in parts, you just didn't know what parts so it was a bit of a lottery.
I had to head off immediately after so couldn't enjoy the post-race refreshments which were a plenty.

Well done Liam Vines for a brilliant half marathon series. This race deserves more attention - perhaps earlier in the 'league' next time around, even first?
I only got to complete 2 of the halfs but I'd wager this was the toughest of them.
Dave RyanAug 17 2024, 8:59pmWell done to all involved in the organisation of the event.
It's only a second year for a group of us, but so much work goes on in the background to help to make these events a success.
Much appreciated..
Good marking, even though I had the course on the watch just in case, but I didn't need.it.
As usual, plenty of delicious nourishment at the end by IMRA.
Toughest IMRA race to date..
Martin CullenAug 17 2024, 9:18pmThanks for putting on a great event. Very tough bog and hills. Will have to put in a lot more bog jogging for next year
Paul KellyAug 18 2024, 11:44amHi all results are up, have a flick through them and if you notice any issues let us know.
Thanks everyone for making the trip to Mt Leinster yesterday for what I hope was an enjoyable day out on the hills. Tough but enjoyable, if you like hills, open mountain and bog :-) Big thanks to the volunteers, Niamh, Lillian, Catherine, Tommy, Karl, with a big shout out to John Murphy and Liam Bowe for marking and marshalling. The race went smoothly because of ye! If anyone took pics please stick them up. Mt Leinster is like Lug on a clear day you can see forever! Hopefully we’ll see you again next year!
Mick HanneyAug 18 2024, 1:25pmA minor one. And probably not fixable at this point
The times of the finishes are all off slightly or more than slightly. I figure whatever time was used as an offset for the finish time was off.
In my case my result is showing a time nearly 2 mins slower than actual. I noticed other times off from results on strava too.
Placings are bang on which is the main thing.
Elva DonnellyAug 18 2024, 8:52pmThanks so much to all for yesterday, what a great course of "bog jogging" as someone noted earlier. Stunning scenery, the gorse and heathers were lighting the countryside up.

On the times, same as Mick, noticed my time is 2 mins+ my finish on the watch over the line. Not a problem that needs fixing for me..not qualifying for the Bog Joggjng Olympics anytime soon! But just FYI.

Watermelon finish line treats...perfection!
Eilis ConneryAug 18 2024, 9:56pmThanks a million to Paul, Lillian and everyone involved yesterday. You all organised some race and it was one of my favourites. Big thanks to the race markers too...great job!!
Conor NolanAug 18 2024, 10:44pmThat was a super course and a well run event. Marking was spot on, Thanks to all who made it possible. Hope we can do it again (early) next year.
Thanks too to the committee for launching the Leinster Half League this year. A great addition to the calendar.
Sorcha KearneyAug 19 2024, 1:55pmThanks for a great race. Fantastic marking was very much appreciated as I have a tendency to wander off course. The race had a bit of everything, but still plenty of running in it. Very well organised and run, and delicious refreshments afterwards. Worth the 5 hour round trip- I will mark it on my calendar for next year!