Irish Mountain
Running Association

Trooperstown and Clara Vale Loop

AuthorDateMessage
Liam VinesMay 12 2024, 6:35pmNew/replacement Leinster Half Marathon League race. 21K with 750m of climb. Has a bit of everything in it check out the pictures taken on the route.
On the day we could end up gate crashing a wedding but that won't stop us nor will any birds of any kind.
19 of us have two races in the bag in the LHML.
Entries will open next week so join me getting number 3 done..
Jarlath HynesMay 12 2024, 7:44pmHi all, we're now looking for a crew of volunteers for this race...

Laptop operator & First Aid, another race marker would be good, and LOADS of helpers for marshals, car-parking, registration, finish line etc etc. Assistant RD also an option, if someone fancies that.
So don't be shy, sign up soon...please :)
Karl BourneMay 17 2024, 10:52amThis looks like an interesting one! Lovely trails around Clara Vale. any more info on the route?
Jarlath HynesMay 17 2024, 3:52pm@Karl, I've added a PROVISIONAL route to event details.
More event details, exact route details etc to follow next week.
(Liam is working very hard in the background to organise this as an alternative to 'cancelled' Slieve Bloom event.)

We still need a First Aider... tia
Jarlath HynesMay 28 2024, 5:28pmRevised route map now uploaded to race details (start/finish now at bridge).
10.30am Early start option available for anyone who qualifies.

We need one more volunteer for registration and/or finish line please.
Liam VinesMay 30 2024, 8:22pmTrooperstown and Clara Vale is open for sale in the shop selling fast..

Is anyone brave enough to take on the double Clara Vale Saturday morning Stranahely Woods Sunday morning??
Mike JordanJun 3 2024, 5:11pmHi all, looking forward to this race on Saturday. I ran the course the other week and it's a lovely fast trail running route.

It would be great to get a few cars up on the carpool early in the week. If you have an entry and have space in your car, please pop it in the carpool. Seeing cars offered early in the week can be a big benefit to those who may want to enter but might struggle for transport.

Thanks to all the volunteers who already signed up. We're still looking for some more volunteers to help the event run smoothly. If you have some time to spare on Saturday, sign up on the race page please.
Mike JordanJun 5 2024, 11:37amCourse notes:

It’s a long runnable route with lots of junctions. Junctions will be taped before and after each turn. Follow the tape. The nature reserve in the Vale of Clara has several waymarking signs and arrows. Sometimes these will point the right direction but often they will point the wrong way. Follow the tape. GPS track can be downloaded from the plotaroute site and can be followed for reassurance.

If you have great patience, have a read of the below in conjunction with the race map.

Start and finish at the bridge beside the carpark.

From the start, turn right at the T-junction then left onto a small track uphill through the trees. After the service road, take the small trail through the trees at the lay-by. Then up and over Trooperstown Hill to the start of the loop. This section will be out-and-back so when you rejoin it later, head back to the finish!

The loop is clockwise over ‘Boots’ Hill then downhill towards Clara Vale. After ‘Boots’, there is a junction of big tracks, and then after a couple of hundred metres downhill there is a left turn into a gap. It’s easy to miss as it’s downhill so keep your eyes peeled here.

Turn left when you reach the road and continue to the carpark on your right. Go through the pedestrian entrance to the nature reserve.

Ignore the local signage and follow the tape. The next couple of kilometres are on fireroad until a right turn down a smaller trail (~11.6k).

Follow the Avonmore river back to Clara church. There is a small gap onto the road which is easy to miss near the church (~14.3k). Keep eyes peeled here!

Turn left downhill on the tarmac. Don’t cross the bridge but enter the grounds of the church on your right. Facing the church there are steps over the wall hidden behind the hedge on the right. Go over these and pass the church on the right hand side.

Follow the Avonmore Way up to the road. Turn left on the tarmac to reach the water station at the forest entrance (~16k).

Head uphill on the fireroad until a small track on the right brings you up through the trees. There’s a few fallen trees to navigate but continue up to the swing gate and the open mountain. Follow the ‘green road’ to rejoin the loop and, turning left, go back over Trooperstown Hill to return to the finish.
Stephen BrennanJun 6 2024, 5:20pmAre you using chip timing for the race?
Liam VinesJun 6 2024, 8:00pmNo chips needed Stephen.. Old school pen and paper..
Jarlath HynesJun 7 2024, 11:16amEntry closes this evening for this race...

Thanks to all who have signed up AND thanks to all who have put their cars up to carpool.
There is limited parking at the race start, please consider parking at Roundwood or Laragh & carpooling from there. The car park volunteers on hand to help out & ensure cars are parked safely without blocking through-traffic (on a surpringly busy road), be nice to them please...
I realise that carpooling isn't an option for everyone, but if we can keep car numbers down, hopefully we can avoid diverting cars to Laragh car park.
Feel free to use this thread to look for a lift...

Weather forecast looks good.
Mike, Brendan & Barry are raring to go & get the course marked, early tomorrow morning.
Liam V is going shopping, so it there might be be some goodies at the finish line, no promises.
(In fairness, ye have been a bit spoilt recently, so I'm setting the bar very low...)

There is a water station for refills at approx 16K, so bring whatever you need to get you there.

See you tomorrow.
Sarah FlynnJun 7 2024, 3:54pmHi all,

Looking forward to tomorrow!
What time is registration in the morning please?

Thanks!
Mike JordanJun 7 2024, 5:48pmRegistration will be open by 9:30am tomorrow.
Declan McInerneyJun 7 2024, 5:54pmI will car pool or give a lift from the Laragh car park at 10.00am in the morning if anyone wants.
Mike JordanJun 7 2024, 6:00pmGreat to see over 100 entrants for this first time event.

We're running this event with a very small number of volunteers so please arrive in good time, patience and humour!

We'll have 3 marshals and a sweeper/demarker out on the course. There will be long sections without a marshal so please look out for tape at every junction and follow the tape when you see it.

For anyone who thinks 21.5k with 750m of ascent will take them over 3 hours tomorrow, please consider taking the early start at 10:30am.

3 hours was about 186% of the overall winning time on the previous 2 races in the Leinster trail half marathon series.

See you in the morning!
Conor NolanJun 7 2024, 7:24pmEvent info says No GPS. Is this correct? I wouldn't normally even think about using guidance, but since it's a new route, etc., it might be needed (by me).
Mike JordanJun 7 2024, 7:35pmGPS ok for this one Conor but be advised that marking on the day takes precedence. Did I mention 'follow the tape'?
Liam VinesJun 7 2024, 11:32pmGoing to be STUFF at the finish.
Bring your own cup for the drinks..
See you in the morning..
Niall CorriganJun 8 2024, 2:58pmTake a bow ladies and gentlemen. A superbly organised and executed delight. I nearly enjoyed every minute of it.
Stephen BrennanJun 8 2024, 3:43pmThat was fun. Lovely course.

That's to everyone who helped in any way.
Mick HanneyJun 8 2024, 5:22pmSuper event.
Great route Liam.
Well done Jarlath and team.
Marking was spot on as was the weather.
Caroline ReidJun 8 2024, 5:41pmThanks to Jarlath and everyone involved in delivering such a magic race today! What a cracker of a route. Thank you all :)
Liam BoweJun 8 2024, 7:43pmThanks Jarlath and crew for a lovely morning in the Wicklow hills and valleys
Jarlath HynesJun 8 2024, 8:15pmWell done to everyone who ran today, it was great to see so many familliar faces AND so many new faces also - you're all very welcome.
The overall feedback on the route was positive, which was great to hear given that Liam had very short notice to plan a replacement race for the cancelled Slieve Bloom Half. Thanks Liam for all the pre-race work.

And thank you to the small crew of very hardworking volunteers
* the Race marking/demarking team - Mike, Brendan & Barry
* carpark, First Aid, marshaling - Foxy, Stephen & Brendan (all double jobbing!)
* registration & finish line - Joan, Dillon & Lillian

Full results will be processed & sent to the Results secretary tomorrow, so are likely to be posted midweek.

Female Top 3
1st Becky Quinn 2:02:15
2nd Aoife O'Brien 2:06:17
3rd Julie O'Hagan 2:11:00

Male Top 3
1st Daire Finn 1:30:54
2nd Enda Cloake 1:31:09
3rd Mark McAdden 1:41:43

If you enjoyed today, don't be shy about putting your name down as a volunteer for a weekend race... :)

Thanks all, see you on the hills.
Declan McInerneyJun 8 2024, 8:25pmAbsolutely brilliant day out on the hills lads, well done to all the runners and volunteers.
Jenni MileyJun 10 2024, 7:58amBrilliant course and a fab day on the hills. The route marking was excellent and the climb back was tougher than I expected - great day out. Thanks !!
Kate O'MahonyJun 10 2024, 10:14am@Jarlath, such a great event Saturday, really enjoyed it! I noticed my name (Kate OMahony 1239) is not on the results list, I came in behind Joyce, I wonder if you might be able to check, please?
Jarlath HynesJun 10 2024, 10:18amKate, thanks for message.
Results are currently been amended, something lost in translation somewhere. Jeff is looking at it.
Niall CorriganJun 10 2024, 10:27amThere is absolutely nothing wrong with those results. They are perfectly fine as they are. (2:32 by my watch in case that was lost)
Jarlath HynesJun 10 2024, 10:33amNiall,
good to see you on Sat, glad you enjoyed the race.
The first 5 females aren't correct & the 'seconds' are missing from some of the times.
Haven't uploaded to 'system' as per csv/excel file sent to Jeff.

(Kate was listed as 1237 NOT 1239....)
Niall CorriganJun 10 2024, 10:35amAnd I’m 29th instead of 69th.
Jarlath HynesJun 10 2024, 10:57amNiall, screenshot it quickly for your Insta.

Amended results coming soon.

My mistake, a little fullstop sneaked in to some of the results. poor Jeff is being tormented!
Jeff SwordsJun 10 2024, 11:01amResults should be ok now, and further issues email IMRAresults at gmail dot com
Jarlath HynesJun 10 2024, 11:03amResults have been amended, should be in order now.

Niall, I've upgraded you to 50th (I'll get the 'brown envelope' from you at the next race... :) )
Niall CorriganJun 10 2024, 11:08amDamm! Never thought to screenshot it. Thanks again for all the hard work folks. A great weekend of IMRA fun.
Kate O'MahonyJun 10 2024, 11:49amThanks Jarlath!