Irish Mountain
Running Association

Scarr

AuthorDateMessage
Sean ForsythApr 2 2024, 10:49amWith the Leinster League getting ready to explode into action in Belmont in 3 weeks time, I'm getting an early call out for volunteers for Scarr.

This is the 2nd race in the league and after doing a route check on Saturday I can guarantee that it is an absolutely craicing course with a little of everything that makes Mountain Running special.

However what even makes it more special is the volunteers and I'm looking for loads of them to sign up to make sure this race goes ahead.

It's an early season race so easy to get your volunteering in and still have plenty of races on the calendar
Sean ForsythApr 8 2024, 6:31pmBumpity bump bump...

Still looking for volunteers please.

First Aid and laptop operator in particular.
Sean ForsythApr 15 2024, 9:31pmJust over 2 weeks out now. Still looking for volunteers please.

1st Aid and laptop operator are essential.
Sean ForsythApr 22 2024, 8:38amHey hey,

Thanks to everyone so far that has volunteered, it's very much appreciated.

I'm still in need of a laptop operator, and probably another 4/5 volunteers please?

Thanks

Sean
Brendan LawlorApr 22 2024, 7:40pmOur fearless Race Director Sean is tackling the Wicklow Round this weekend so he will be stressed up to his eyeballs with maps, routes, short cuts, weather forecasts, logistics, bananas, head torches and much much more!

Let’s make his life a little less stressful by getting a nice laptop operator and a few more volunteers ( non running or running will do) for the Scarr race please!
Sean ForsythApr 23 2024, 9:36pmThanks Brendan, mucho apreciado. You definitely should think about moonlighting as a hype man.
Brendan LawlorApr 24 2024, 11:37amHi all

A few important notifications about next weeks Scarr race

1) It WON'T go ahead if we don't get a laptop operator
2) There is a route limit of 200 imposed on the race by the National Parks.. given the very strong interest in this weeks Belmont race, early entry is advised once online entry opens
3) If we get a laptop operator, parking for the race will be in Gaffney's field as last year on the following basis:

Single occupant cars or vans (which we strongly discourage) €4
Two in a car / van €3
Three in a car €2
Four or more in a car -FREE

Its disappointing to see that with 320 entrants and rising in tonights Belmont race we have less than a dozen cars in the carpool
Angus TynerApr 25 2024, 1:06pmPut myself down for laptop. I could do with an experienced shadow, who can be runner.
Sean ForsythApr 25 2024, 2:59pmThanks Angus, greatly appreciate you stepping up.
Brendan LawlorApr 25 2024, 3:21pmSuper stuff, thank you Angus and Jeff !
Sean ForsythApr 28 2024, 8:23pmHey everyone,

I hope you're all having a great weekend.

Just a reminder that entries open for Scarr tomorrow.

It is limited to 200 entries total. So please get in early and if you do miss out, there's still plenty of races to go in the league this year.

Best regards

Sean
Ben ManganApr 29 2024, 8:21amHi Sean,

I have volunteered as "Helper" this Wednesday and wanted to contact you to check if anything needs doing before the day and what time you want volunteers there on the night?

Cheers
Ben
Phil behanApr 29 2024, 8:37amHi Sean. A few juniors from Raheny looking to head out. Is there a junior course on this ? Thanks
Stuart ScottApr 29 2024, 8:43am***** NO REFUNDS *****

As mentioned, the race route is still subject to permit. Sean, Liam and the Committee have been working hard on alternative options, should we need it, but any alternative will also be subject to permit.

While we all hope the race will go ahead, there will be no refunds if the race is cancelled for whatever reason. So only enter on this basis. Let's hope for an end to the rain soon!

Stuart
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 8:46amHi Phil,

There will be a junior course for this, so please get the juniors signed up

@ben, I will send an email out later this morning to all volunteers.

Sean
Andy WalkerApr 29 2024, 9:08amHi Sean, fingers crossed all goes ahead! Wondered is there an early start? Thanks, Andy
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 10:17amHi Andy,

There will be an early start for this
.sean
Elaine CaseyApr 29 2024, 10:28amWhat time is the early start? Thanks
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 10:45amHi Elaine,

Early start is 7pm; Juniors will start approx 7.40pm

Best regards

Sean
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 11:05amRemember the race is capped at 200 entries, I know the event page says 220 but it is 200.
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 11:40amMy apologies...post round brain fog still lingering, 220 is limit not 200.
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 2:36pm*******CAR POOLING*******

It is very important that we keep encouraging this initiative. For anyone coming to the race tomorrow please use the car pooling section of the events page.

As well as picking up people en route, there are also various handy places to meet and park for onward car pooling.

Kilmacanogue - plucks and public car park, also 184 and 45a buses stop here

Ashford - public car park near N11 pub

Laragh - Public car park (Glendalough overflow - just past GAA club); Brockagh car park

Trooperstown - Car park at Avonmore River

So please make every effort to car pool.

There will be a parking charge as previously noted by Brendan.

Single occupant cars or vans (which we strongly discourage) €4
Two in a car / van €3
Three in a car €2
Four or more in a car -FREE
REBECCA CAROLANApr 29 2024, 3:15pmThat sold out quickly!!!
Denis Mc glynnApr 29 2024, 6:33pmIf someone can't make Wednesday nite I would be interested in a place. Is it possible to transfer over. Not sure as I haven't done it before.
Kevin O'RiordanApr 29 2024, 6:59pmHi Denis,

Entries aren't transferable I'm afraid.
Sean ForsythApr 29 2024, 8:13pmFor everyone who put there name down to help with Scarr:

As I have a full compliment of people for the roles needed, I will be respectfully declining your offers.

If I have not accepted you as a volunteer, thank you for the offer, it was much appreciated and I would encourage you to look to other races in the calendar and put your names down.

Sean
Aisling O'NeillApr 29 2024, 9:08pmGood evening,

It's my first time volunteering at an IMRA race, and I was just wondering what time should I show up at Scarr?

Thank you!
Brendan LawlorApr 29 2024, 9:20pmHi Aisling

Sean sent an email earlier and he wants us there by 6. Look out for the email and another one tomorrow.. he’s recovered from the Round!
Dillon RyanApr 29 2024, 10:03pmWould publishing the start list be an idea to explore? Would certainly add pre race buzz/excitement :)
Denis Mc glynnApr 29 2024, 10:55pmOk Kevin.
Thanks
Louis MulleeApr 30 2024, 5:34pmCurrently 30 lifts to Scarr on offer on the carpool site currently (Thanks to everyone who has offered a lift!) ,

If you are able to carpool book your spot now!
Sharon WheelerApr 30 2024, 7:26pmHi
Is there any lifts going from Ashford car park or I can pick people up as I'm driving up on my own.

Thanks
Sharon
Sean ForsythApr 30 2024, 8:37pmHi Sharon,

If you check the car pool section on the event details page, I think there are one or 2 going from Ashford there

Sean
Hazel ThompsonApr 30 2024, 10:54pmHi Sean,
Just checking what time you need volunteers. I haven’t received any emails re helping. Thanks.
Eoin PhelanMay 1 2024, 12:50amHi, can someone post link for google maps to the start point please?
Brendan LawlorMay 1 2024, 7:16amHi Hazel

Can all volunteers be at registration by 6

Hi Eoin

Here’s the registration location

https://maps.app.goo.gl/3mx11DqtYxw5C9Py5?g_st=ic
Sean ForsythMay 1 2024, 9:52amMorning Hazel,

Just double checked there, I definitely had you on my sent list, could you check your spam, one or 2 others have told me that it went to theirs.

Thanks

Sean
Sean ForsythMay 1 2024, 11:54amMorning All

*****An update on the course this evening.*****

Unfortunately NWPS have not allowed us to bring this race to the summit, this decision was made early this morning, mainly due to the recent weather and condition of the trail up there.

I hope you will all understand that it is the correct decision to help protect the fragile ecosystem of our mountains.

The route will start on Wicklow Way (Gaffneys Lane) and follow the track around the forest down to the wall. Keeping the wall ON YOUR RIGHT, follow the tape to the top and a marshal will direct you from the gap in the wall down onto the ridge, following the ridge and tape to the last marshal who direct you to the trail to the finish line.

I would like to say a huge thanks to Liam Vines for the work behind the scenes liaising with NWPS on this matter and ensuring that we still have a good oule open mountain rough climb up to the gap in the wall and access to that lovely descent down the ridge.

Looking forward to seeing you all up there this evening

Sean
Caoimhin MacMaolainMay 1 2024, 3:28pmFair play Seán and Liam for getting this on in difficult circumstances. Delighted that the race is going ahead and to miss out on the painful chain of false summits that Scarr normally offers.
Andy McGeadyMay 1 2024, 3:56pmWhat's the underfoot going like?
david obrienMay 1 2024, 4:20pmHi Sean, I just wanted to inform you that my daughter Aoibheann obrien is on your volunteer list. She is here competing in Carlow at the Leinster schools and her 1500m event seems to be running late due to the whole day behind. I will be bringing her straight to Wicklow afterwards, but we might not get there until 6.30 ish.
Just in case you needed her for an earlier job. She will do whatever is needed once she arrives. Sorry for any inconvenience
Elaine CaseyMay 1 2024, 10:39pmThanks to all the organisers and volunteers for tonight, a lovely way to spend a Wednesday evening! Even if I did think at one point there was never going to be an actual top to start going down from!
Aideen BurkeMay 1 2024, 10:45pmThanks to Sean and all the volunteers for a great evening in the hills (that sunset!!) but a MASSIVE thank you to whoever found my black car key on the course and handed it in Sean… you saved me from what could have been a long night on the hills trying to find it (or else a very long walk home!).
Catherine DevittMay 1 2024, 10:56pmHi Aideen,
You are most welcome! I was delighted to find the key, and glad it found it's way back to the owner. Thanks to all the volunteers for a lovely evening in the hills.
Alan KennedyMay 1 2024, 11:05pmWell done to Sean on a Trojan effort the last few days. Can only imagine the uncertainty surrounding this race and to end up with an absolute cracker of a run, what summit?? Great help from Brendan and Liam V behind the scenes, Derek for super marking and Brian for de-marking and to all the helpers tonight.
Andy McGeadyMay 1 2024, 11:34pmWhat a descent!! Worth every step of the long trudge up the escalator to then let the brakes off and fly down.

A lot went into making this race happen.

Thank you.
Sean ForsythMay 2 2024, 10:00amMorning all,

I hope you all enjoyed the race last night.

I want to acknowledge the hard work that went into making last night happen, behind the scenes with Liam Vines and various members of the committee ensuring we had some part of a mountain to run on to the support from my race marker (Derek Hay) and Deputy RD (Brendan Lawlor) over the last couple of weeks.

Of course though, it's always the volunteers that make it work on the night.

I'm always amazed at how a relative bunch of strangers can get together on one day and seamlessly work to put on a successful race.

They all stepped up big time last night and made my job so easy and all did a fantastic job from a very well marked course at short notice by Derek, reacting positively to a delay in getting the laptop and reg going, the parking (and successful sum up operation) and co-ordination on the longest road I think i've ever seen, great marshalling to make sure everyone knew where to go, demarking and sweeping and the finish line work (laptops, results spotters and number takers), 1st Aid (thankfully only one minor incident I'm aware of)...all with smiles and enthusiasm.

I also wish to thank Elaine O'Brien Lawlor and Conor O'Farrell for stepping in last minute for vital roles.

A super effort all round and hugely deserving of your appreciation and hopefully more people will consider volunteering over the coming league, it's always a great opportunity to get to know other runners and have a bit of a laugh.

See you in the hills soon

Sean
David DunneMay 2 2024, 10:05amThanks Sean, Liam and Co for all your work getting this race on last night and what a belter it was, just what the doctor ordered :)
Dave DochertyMay 2 2024, 10:20amMassive thanks for a great evenings running. Sean and crew put on a stellar show in difficult and ever-changing conditions. Pretty impressive—even more impressive with a round battered body.
Joan RyanMay 2 2024, 10:41amThanks for a really interesting race last night.

Thanks to all the volunteers.
I wont forget that endless climb for a while!
Mick HanneyMay 2 2024, 12:00pmBrilliant event last night. Thanks to Sean and the volunteers. Especially Derek, who marked then ran the route. To do it once was enough!!

Great to hear about that car key find. I think you slipped on front of me at one point Aideen and that might have been the moment that the key went its merry way. There should be bonus league points for the finder.
Peter O'FarrellMay 2 2024, 12:46pmThanks again for a super route last night. That climb is something else.

7km is perfect at this early stage of the league with the impending darkness.
Phil behanMay 2 2024, 1:26pmThanks to Sean and all the volunteers last night. Raheny juniors loved the course. Thanks again for another great night in the hills.
Andrew HanneyMay 2 2024, 2:28pmWell done Sean and helpers. I can appreciate how difficult it is putting on a race when crucial parts (remembering the Djouce woods car park in December) are coming together at the last minute.

I think it was a great route and as said above the distance is just right for these evenings.
Warren SwordsMay 2 2024, 2:50pmThanks Sean and his team for a fantastic evening. The course made for great racing. That wall gets harder every year.
Aideen BurkeMay 2 2024, 5:43pmCatherine - I can't thank you enough. I fully endorse the bonus league points suggestion! And Mick - yes, I must have lost the key when I fell. Will zip up the pocket next time!
Liam VinesMay 2 2024, 6:04pmFirst of the email winners vouchers have gone out.
If your email address is not up to date on the website you will miss out on your prize. I struggle to keep the paperwork for my own business in order I am not looking after your vouchers for the summer.
So update your contact information. And tell your friends to do the same.
Gerry McGuinnessMay 2 2024, 8:19pmA big thanks to Sean and his team on another great nights running.