Irish Mountain
Running Association

Dargle Four Peaks

AuthorDateMessage
noel bolandMar 5 2024, 1:50pmI see a number of races are open mountain with no GPS and compass and map required, this would be new to me so very interested, question is could any advise on how to learn navigation this way and also are you allowed run with someone who is experience at this ???
Warren SwordsMar 5 2024, 3:43pmThere's a few businesses who organise navigation courses on the Wicklow hills.

The following videos are a good starter on how compass works and how to nav. The second is more detailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeAfmhUSWog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaqynPX3sPo

I used similar videos and then practised taking and following bearings on hills/local park that I was very familiar with. i.e. you already know the direction of travel you are supposed to be heading but using compass and map to confirm.

Once you discover how the bezel (the twisty bit), the needle and direction arrow works, it's a bit of Eureka moment.

Dargle Four Peaks looks relatively simple to nav but the area between War Hill and Tonduff is hard to nav in bad weather.
Andy KeelingMar 5 2024, 3:51pmHi Noel. A good way is to go on a recce with someone who can show you how to use a map and compass. People will often post pre race recces that they are going on here before the race. No solid plan but I'm looking at Easter weekend for a possible 4 peaks recce. I'm not a qualified map and compass trainiologist but I can show you how I do it. Anyone else who wants to learn is also welcome. Alternatively as Warren has said there are places and people who run mountain skills courses if you would like to learn in a more formal way.
noel bolandMar 5 2024, 8:26pmThat is brilliant guys thank you, some sound advice there, I may take you up on that Andy if I am free, again thank you both.
Hazel ThompsonMar 5 2024, 9:22pmYou could also try orienteering. Lots of opportunity to get some guidance from experienced map readers and compass users and a chance to put it into practice. See orienteering.ie for details of when events are on.
noel bolandMar 5 2024, 10:03pmThank you Hazel
Andy KeelingMar 26 2024, 7:03amNoel and anyone else who wants to join in. I'm going to go for a slow recce of the 4 peaks this Saturday (30th) morning. Meeting at the race start at 0830. Bring your maps and compasses. You can get me on 0 ate three 89 two one 65ate and let me know if interested.
Brian KitsonMar 26 2024, 11:03amQUESTION: how many other multi-peak Championship races in the Grand Dargle Valley do you know that provide FREE route choice along with a decent chance of a finish line bottle of suds over which you and your fellow runners can lament the poor choices made as a direct result of that freedom provided?

ANSWER: That’s right, not many.

There are a couple of additional reasons why you should get a recce in and enter this event in April. Firstly, we’ve moved the event from Summer to Spring. The reduced vegetation will open up more route possibilities and should make the going better. It may also be your last chance to take part as I’m unlikely to run it next year.

Should you wish to familiarise yourself with the route or brush up on your navigation skills I highly recommend the recce with Andy on Saturday (see details above).

PS. Thanks to those who volunteered, I could do with a couple of more experienced helpers, please.
Conor MurphyMar 29 2024, 9:43pmHi Andy, I'm heading up for a look at the route in the morning, I might see you and tag along if your still planning on a recce.
Andy KeelingMar 30 2024, 6:49amHi Conor. Sorry, had no responses by late yesterday and now my plans have changed. Enjoy the recce. Hopefully see you at the race
Conor MurphyMar 30 2024, 12:44pmNo prob Andy thanks,
Brian KitsonApr 2 2024, 4:35pmCall out for volunteers as this race is in less than two weeks.

Please note. this is a nice race for volunteering but as it relies on a small crew (ie <8) I need to ensure enough of those signed up have a bit of experience to be able to help with any curveballs that arise on the day.
Gareth MorganApr 6 2024, 8:06pmIs it acceptable to use a Garmin watch to track yourself in this event if it's not being used for navigation/map?
Brian KitsonApr 6 2024, 9:06pmHi Gareth, yes, in line with all Leinster Championship races, you may record the route on a device for post race analysis, but you may not use it for in-race navigation.

Looks like I am ok for volunteers now.
Thanks all, will be in touch.
Alice ClancyApr 8 2024, 10:23amHi All,
Im bringing a few people out on a recce of Dargle 4 peaks on Thursday. All welcome! …pace will be ‘conversational’ ie slow!…going to have a look at the rock carvings near Tonduff too! Will be starting out around 11ish, aiming to be back 3-4pm….If you’d like to come, whatsapp me on oh-8-six three.4.three-9 (1) five 6!
Ps Entries opened this morning, selling fast! ;-)
Conor O'FarrellApr 8 2024, 10:34am@Alice. Does this event also include cryptography as well as navigation skills? ;-)
Alice ClancyApr 8 2024, 10:51amHa!! Yes indeed Conor, it requires all the major mountain skills!!!
Alan AylingApr 8 2024, 2:43pmI'll save you the trouble Alice. The "carvings" are a simple message, reading
Tonduff N Summit
Stringbean woz ere
Joe LalorApr 8 2024, 4:46pmThe "rock art" on Tonduff are unfortunately from the 1960s.
Alan KennedyApr 8 2024, 5:07pmSo it was you Joe???
Brian KitsonApr 9 2024, 9:36amThe 2024 Leinster Championship kicks off this weekend at the Dargle Four Peaks and entries are open. There are five cracking Championship races lined throughout the summer with your best three races to score. Bag an early race to give yourself a target to beat as the summer progresses.

The good news is that the forecast looks relatively decent for Saturday.

Couple of points:
1. All championship races require Level C- Advanced Kit. Given the current temperatures, navigation requirement, and the nature of the terrain it is likely that you will need to carry most, if not all items. Please bring your full kit to the registration kit check (start line) and we’ll let you know exactly what you need to bring. We’ll have an area set aside at the start/finish where you can leave any items you do not intend to bring on the race (it will be outside/unsecured – no valuables please).

2. Parking at pier gates is a 25-minute jog to start. Be mindful of traffic and bikes if travelling on foot along that busy, narrow road. We’ll hold a few parking spaces at the start area for carpoolers, ONLY FULL CARS WILL BE ALLOWED TO PARK THERE.

3. Great to see Alice also offering a group recce on Thursday. Worth tagging along if you need to sharpen up course knowledge.

4. Race start 12noon (early start 11am). Please read the event Details page - all the info you need is there.

I’m ok for volunteers now. Mt Leinster, Glacier Lakes and Belmont are coming up in the next couple of weeks and may still need help.
Keelin HolmesApr 9 2024, 10:00amYes, I also have same question as Brian about navigation, any courses that can be done ? Thanks Keelin
Jeff SwordsApr 9 2024, 10:20amThere's some courses coming up at https://hikeandclimb.ie/scheduled-courses/
Lesleyann WylieApr 9 2024, 10:25amHighly recommend Paul Nolan at One Step more and his navigation for runners course. The team adventure races are brilliant for learning how to use the map and read your surroundings from the map and its a lot of fun, less pressure and other teams and participants will help you along the way. Also in teams of two for the team adventure races you get to do it as a pair so you share the navigation load. The Rogaine in June is BRILLIANT for putting any navigation skills you have to the test and learning new ones. Again super friendly environment, some people run it, some hike but for navigating in open mountain its a great learning day out. The imra navigation races too, the three league ones. If you can get to those or even just one, competitors really friendly and
willing to help.
For these races I do think a recce is helpful if your not confident, the terrain can have less features between each point and everything looks the same. Thanks to those more experienced imra members that helped me get started last year.
Stuart ScottApr 9 2024, 10:55amHi Keelin and all. I'd second Paul Nolan, he's a former international hill runner and orienteer. Another option is to do a formal Mountain Skills course which will benefit you in so many other ways - Paul Nolan (again), Declan Cunningham, Wayne Jenkins and Cormac Lynch (Fia Mountaineering) are all expert instructors, genuinely nice people and are members of mountain rescue too with plenty of experience to impart. Check out mountaineering.ie for contact info.

As Hazel says, orienteering is a very enjoyable way to hone your skills in a controlled setting. Trial and error is the best way to learn.

And to add to Lesleyann's advice, you can always team up with an experienced navigator for the IMRA races. The only caveat is that you have to arrange this before the race and agree to stay together for the duration. With apologies to Brian (!), if you stick to the paths the Four Peaks isn't that difficult a race to navigate. Knowing where to take the shortcuts might give you an advantage but you might just as easily get bogged down (literally) - as happened me the last time! And that's what makes it so much fun!

Finally, although you're not allowed to use GPS to navigate, you're still allowed to use it in an emergency situation or if you get horribly lost. Just make sure you declare it to Brian at the finish. So there's an additional comfort factor there...assuming it actually works! And sticking with the compass, a safety bearing of due east should (eventually) get you to the Wicklow Way or due south will get you to the Sally Gap road.

So all in all, you should be grand!
Warren SwordsApr 9 2024, 11:13amDublin Mountains has lots of free orienteering to practice on. They have a map here of all the controls.

https://www.dublinmountains.ie/activities/activities/orienteering/

They also have a free event this weekend. Although they could a bit of nav themselves and shorten the URL.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/intro-to-orienteering-event-at-carrickgollogan-forest-tickets-879308935697?fbclid=IwAR3sKa7NXI4nPPQG4aPDG4naDuiVRK2S0Up9eZymRd663Fs9NyfiEbnk20A_aem_Ace023OQygojQq01OlQBKHfqTrnbcGibg_NoeE7ZgwlryaaGTGen4wJa6jyUHzNi-x8iJTAKQuCJUMV5BBESqKYd

I'd have to disagree with Stuart and say Four Peaks is not for the inexperienced. Section from War Hill to Tonduff would be a nightmare if you can't use a compass and the cloud is down.
Warren SwordsApr 9 2024, 12:03pmAlthough I got lost on a fully marked Annagh Hill on Sunday so may not be the person to judge...
Brian FureyApr 9 2024, 3:05pmIf weather is good then it's one of the better races to start with navigation wise.
Recommend getting the east west map for the area. Has good detail it.

https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/products/dublin-mountains-125000-9781899815531?variant=44645192007984&currency=EUR&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwztOwBhD7ARIsAPDKnkAd79K1C59Nd6Y0krxod4wYqQVCb29h7a3ikFhfw9Kd28eEo3Vx0g4aApY8EALw_wcB
Mick HanneyApr 9 2024, 3:24pmWarren's innate radar was leading him on most direct path to the pub.
Kathryn FitzpatrickApr 9 2024, 7:48pmHi, Are poles allowed?
Brian KitsonApr 9 2024, 9:21pmGood question Kathryn, I am not aware of a rule that prohibits poles at championship races. I believe the decision is left to discretion of the RD.

I’m going to ask all runners not to use poles. It’s a relatively short course and given the natural terrain and habitat we run through I believe we will leave less of a footprint if we leave the sticks at home.
Brian KitsonApr 11 2024, 9:32pm“ Sunny weekend weather with temperatures in high teens, says Met Éireann|” forecast headline in the Irish Times.

Looks like we may enjoy decent weather to kick of this years Leinster Championship…Mick Hanney is the championship director and all his Annagh posts remind me that I should give this race a bit of a nudge as entries close tomorrow at 6pm.

We’re on track for a record number for this race, it seems like you all like the earlier time of year. hope to see ye there.
Alice ClancyApr 12 2024, 10:07amBrian you’ll be happy to know that the recce yesterday may well prove a successful deterrent to this race selling out!! Eesh conditions are tough up there but a sunny day will make all the difference. A huge thank you to Kathryn F for helping guide us yesterday. See you all on Sat for bog-sledding galore!
Stuart ScottApr 12 2024, 10:49amWhat, the race is nearly sold out? That's the best way to guarantee another 50 entries! I've just entered and looking forward to it. I'll bring the togs!
Graham K. BusheApr 12 2024, 12:06pmHi everyone, Just a quick note to say there are now 7 seats available in the carpool, from various locations.
Even if this means that you drive part of the way but park elsewhere, you are helping to reduce the demand for spaces at the race location.

Looking forward to seeing lots of you "enjoying" the 4 peaks ... and 1 lake
Are togs part of the required kit?

:)
g
Andrew HanneyApr 12 2024, 12:21pmAlice, you must love this course doing it twice in a few days….. now which way did you go?
Niall CorriganApr 12 2024, 12:26pmIts comforting to learn that the ancient rock art on Tonduff is only as ancient as meself, as it has been enhanced recently by some avid bird lover. Who brings tools up there to do that?
David PowerApr 12 2024, 2:06pmThe Grand National may be on in Aintree tomorrow, where the going is "soft to heavy." Who will win that iconic race?
Similar thoughts float around this group, with thoroughbreds, workhorses and maybe a few donkeys lining up at the barrier tomorrow at high noon. Going declared as "heavy" but definately not "unraceable" as the course was inspected yesterday and passed.
Another meet takes place in Seefin, Limerick, where all the thoroughbreds are declared, leaving the rest of us to battle it out in the bumper in Wicklow at 12.00.
The betting slips are being readied.
1. Winning direction: 2/1 clockwise, 8/1 anti-clockwise, 50/1 anything else
2. Falling into a boghole up to your waist: 4/1
3. Losing a shoe sole half way round: 10/1 (happened me in 2022)
4. Liam Vines for the shortest distance covered: 1/4 on
5. RD Brian Kitson to start the race with a cigarette: 10/1
Pearse BroganApr 12 2024, 5:46pmGoing to do a Lucky 15 there, will skip out the odds on fav. I’ll hand in the betting slip in exchange for an IMRA chip and race number. Also bumper races are usually flat with no obstacles! And Chambard e/w in the Grand National…
Caoimhin MacMaolainApr 13 2024, 8:41amImportant Reminder: Runners must bring full mandatory kit to registration today (jacket, hat/buff, gloves, whistle, mobile, foil blanket or equivalent, leg waterproofs, 500ml water carrier, food, map, compass) . Please bring a bag also and leave items not required for the race in this bag at the start - but no valuables please. Please also bring a change of clothes for the finish. Goof luck and enjoy what should be a fantastic few hours in the hills.
Jeff SwordsApr 13 2024, 6:24pmResults published, imraresults at gmail dot com for any issues etc.
Alice ClancyApr 13 2024, 6:51pmThank you to Brian and team for such a lovely day’s bog sledding in the sun (and wind and hail and everything else) today!! And the results published before we got home too! Very slick operation.
Well done to Kathryn and to Enda, i heard the course record was broken today!!
Brian KitsonApr 13 2024, 7:55pmChampionship races are tough and I was delighted to see so many line up for this one . 59 starters is a record turn out for the Dargle Four Peaks and would surpass the numbers at many champ races. Amazing what a break in the weather (and the promise of a tin of beer at the finish line) will do for numbers.

Congrats to Enda Cloake on his brilliant course record in tough conditions and to Eddie O'Connor and Joe Warnes who came 2nd and 3rd respectively.
It was an incredible finish to the women's race with the three podium positions separated by just 30 seconds. Well done to Kathryn Fitzpatrick on her win and managing to hold off defending champ Orla McEvoy who followed five seconds later with Bernie Byrne coming 3rd a further 26 seconds back.

Congratulations to all finishers as it was tough out there. You've one in the bag and will hopefully you carry this momentum through to the rest of the Leinster Championship races with the Circuit of Avonbeg next up on 26 May.

Of all the pictures taken today my favourite is of the six bin-liners of rubbish the team of volunteers collected while you all were racing. It epitomised the hard work they each put-in to making this IMRA day out special for the runners and environment alike. I want to thank each of them:
Caoimhin MacMaolain- dep RD,
Mick Hanney - first aid,
Fionn Higgins - results/parking,
Michael & Jude Werjech - parking and rubbish collection,
Fiona - baking & hospitalituy,
Justin - kit rubbish collection/disposal
Conor Nolan - reg and results.

We found a Race Vest with maps etc inside, a pair of race leggings, sunglasses, and knitted head band. These items will travel with the race kit to the next race if you wish to collect and will eventually be donated to a good cause if not claimed.

We would love to read your reports of your day out regardless of where you finished. Alice as already kicked things off with a limerick which is pure gold :) .

Don't forget to share your fly-bys on strava if you are so inclined - always good fun to see the routes collided.

Finally, I do not know when the Dargle Four Peaks will return but when it does, rest assured it will be even bigger and better.
Niall CorriganApr 13 2024, 8:21pmThanks a hillion to Brian and the team for an immensely enjoyable day out. Probably my favourite IMRA race. Long may it prosper.
Brian FureyApr 13 2024, 10:10pmThanks Brian & team. Great job and great to see Leinster championship results up on same day .. thanks Jeff
Phil behanApr 13 2024, 10:36pmJust when you though this community couldn’t get any better. A huge well done for taking all that rubbish away. Seriously fair play. Shows how much we all respect the mountains. Well done guys
Brian KitsonApr 14 2024, 9:36amCorrection: full volunteer names are Fiona Sheerin and James Higgins (not Justin)
Brian KitsonApr 14 2024, 9:43amApologies for the chain messages but I would also like to congratulate Tim Charnecki on reaching his 100th IMRA race milestone at the four peaks yesterday. I’m sure your hard earned T-shirt will find its way to you shortly.
John BellApr 14 2024, 3:58pmStrava flyby <p>
https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#11173574685?c=gc7w303d&z=D&t=1c6cN3
John BellApr 14 2024, 4:02pmThanks Brian and your Team of volunteers for a great day out in the hills. The strava flyby shows that having this race earlier in the year encouraged a wider range of route choices, before the bracken comes up.
Mick HanneyApr 14 2024, 6:20pmFair play to Brian, James & co. for going above and beyond in clearing away rubbish from the race site yesterday. That really is giving back to the hills we love.
Joe WarneApr 14 2024, 8:09pmThanks so much to all the organisers. Still learning here and decided I don't like bog running :)
Rachel HarneyApr 14 2024, 10:26pmThanks so much for organising and helping those who did. It was a great race, very enjoyable!
Brian KitsonApr 15 2024, 9:18amA couple of great reports were added by Niall and David. Worth a read over your morning cuppa.

The brave marshal on Tonduff South mentioned in David's report was Brendan Delaney who did a highly commendable job of tracking who passed by in rough conditions. Thanks Brendan.

John, thanks for sharing the flybys; they are as entertaining and illuminating as ever.
Maike JürgensApr 15 2024, 10:40amAnother report added ...
Rob TobinApr 16 2024, 4:05pm...and another one.