Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Half

AuthorDateMessage
Dillon RyanFeb 3 2024, 5:47pmHi, what dated will entries be live? - just to note in calendar

Thanks
Clare KeeleyFeb 3 2024, 10:28pm**Re-posting this from original 28th January one with some edits **
Hi everyone.,
The Wicklow Way Half is on the 9th of March this year. It is the first race of the new Leinster Half-Marathon League. You will find the full list of races under IMRA Leagues for 2024 (3 to score). Entries open for WWH on Wednesday 7th February and close on Saturday 24th February. I will post a reminder closer to the time. If you are someone who tends to miss forum posts it’s worth having the forum posts connected to your email so less likely to miss a reminder post. You will find this setting when you log into your IMRA profile under Interaction Settings. I would ask everyone to have a read of the new kit requirements. As always a big thank you to those who have already volunteered (great response- thank you all!) really appreciate it, all we now is a First aid officer. Anyone who would like to shadow any of the roles with a view to taking them on in the future , just let me know. Clare
Clare KeeleyFeb 7 2024, 8:46amMorning all,
Entries for the Wicklow Way Half race open this morning at 9am and will remain open untill 24th February at 6pm. It’s a great race and a fun morning on the hills. We still need a First Aid Officer, without this role races can not go ahead.
Enjoy the training and see you all on the 9th March.
Clare
david obrienFeb 17 2024, 7:13pmCan U18’s take part in this half marathon. Thanks
Alan AylingFeb 17 2024, 8:37pmA runner turning 18 during this calendar year may do so. Younger than that, NO.
All in the IMRA competition rules, available in the Constitution tab at the bottom of the IRA website. A revised version with the dates corrected for this year will be on the site shortly, for now what's there should be clear enough on what distances under 18s are allowed to run.
david obrienFeb 17 2024, 9:20pmThanks Alan for the info
Clare KeeleyFeb 24 2024, 8:31am=================
***Reminder****
=================
Wicklow Way Half entries close this evening, Saturday 24th at 6pm. No late entries, no transfers and no refunds as per IMRA policy.

Thanks a million to all the Volunteers, we have a great crew now. I have been in touch with most of you and will send out another email by this evening so if you haven’t heard from me in the next 24 hours let me know here.

Clare.
Clare KeeleyFeb 25 2024, 1:12pmEntries reopened untill 6pm this evening then it is closed closed!!
Clare
Brendan PollardFeb 25 2024, 3:16pmClare,

this is really appreciated, thank you. I will not lie i was a little upset last night when i noticed i missed. Back in a happy place.

thanks again,

Bren
Obigraf DaskalovFeb 25 2024, 4:34pmThank you for reopening the entries, was really looking forward this event.
Obigraf DaskalovFeb 25 2024, 4:35pm4 seats available from North Co Dublin. For the early start.
noel bolandMar 2 2024, 11:19pmAm I allowed carry poles ???
Ray Chambers CurtinMar 3 2024, 9:29amNo poles Noel, No poles. Real trail runner's don't need poles. That's just my opinion. The distance is to short and elevation. A lot of wasted energy using poles. Even if you have mastered running with them. Enjoy the event, it's great one to kick things off
Clare KeeleyMar 3 2024, 11:03amHi Noel,
As RD i won’t be stopping anyone who arrives with poles if you need them for stability reasons etc.. but I ask that you be mindful of the safety aspects around other runners and trail users. See you need Saturday.
Clare
Mike WalkerMar 3 2024, 12:12pmHi Claire, I appreciate the answer is most probably “no”, but is there or might there be any facility for a late entry? Thank you
Alex HirstMar 3 2024, 2:36pmSame question from me too, Clare, please!
Ashley CampbelllMar 3 2024, 3:36pmHi Clare, I would like to register as late entry if still possible?

Thanks,

Ashley
noel bolandMar 3 2024, 4:56pmHi Guys certainly not a master of poles just assist on the climbs, I found them useful on the Eco Trail 45k, I in the M50 category and run for pleasure rather than race and the aim will be to get in under the 2.40, so I will hope to go early start.
Clare KeeleyMar 3 2024, 5:22pmTo Ashley, Alex and Mike! I know it’s always worth the ask but it’s a definite no!! The race closes with time for me to order finishers prizes etc… Loads of more races on the calendar for the year!
To Noel, I don’t think I have ever seen anyone with poles run the Wicklow Way Half race, I find poles dont work well on the board walk at all, you would definitely have to have the ability to fold them down when not in use.
Myself or Deputy RD Greg will be on early this week about car parking and some race day info so please keep an eye on the forum .
Clare
noel bolandMar 3 2024, 8:30pmThanks Clare, I will go with the experts and run without cheers.
Caroline BidetMar 3 2024, 9:50pmHello, I need to be an early starter as I'm slow. Do I just need to show up for early start registration, or should I send a request to a particular email address? Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Clare KeeleyMar 4 2024, 6:41amHi Caroline, just arrive for early start registration at 8.15am, we will be marking you as early starter then, early start is 9am.
Clare
Mick HanneyMar 4 2024, 1:07pmPromoting this forum thread, as the one to use for the WWH.
Sara SalgadoMar 6 2024, 5:00amHi good Morning I am wonder where can I see my race number? Many thanks
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusMar 6 2024, 7:58amHi Dillon, I can see it on IMRA Website: https://www.imra.ie/shop/history/

When you purchase your membership, it assigns the number beside your purchase.
Jeff SwordsMar 6 2024, 7:59amWhen you're logged in go to the home page and you'll see the text "Welcome Sara ()" with your race number within the brackets.
Clare KeeleyMar 6 2024, 8:57amHi all,

I hope everyone is looking forward to the first of the Leinster Half Marathon League races this Saturday up along the Wicklow Way.

Can I ask everyone to have a read over the EVENT DETAILS on the race page as all the information regarding race day instructions is laid out there ,which should ensure everyone has an enjoyable day on the trails.

Runners also need to familiarise themselves with the new Mandatory Kit requirements. Everyone is required to bring the full Level B-Standard kit with them and have the ability to carry the full kit if it is necessary . The kit required for the race will be posted on the information board at registration, we will make a decision that morning based on the conditions on Saturday. Failure to carry the required kit on the day could unfortunately render you unable to start or subject to a DNF.

Pier Gates car park is a busy area on a Saturday morning so we must be mindful of space in the car park. Carpooling is key and strongly advised! Please make great use of the carpool facility at the bottom of the event page. There is currently only 3 runners who have offered ( thank you guys!) spaces in their cars and it would be great and essential to see these numbers rise. We will be charging for car parking using card only payments ( sum-up machine).
- A full car is free of charge
- 3 people per car will be charged €2
- 2 people a car is €3
- 1 person per car is €4
Please follow the carpark marshals directions on the day and do not arrive before 8 am as we need time to set up etc..

There is a hyper link on the event page which will give you directions to the start finish area known as “Pier Gates” if you want to Google directions yourself please put in ‘Aroma Cafe Van Roundwood’ and that will bring you there .

I will be back on Friday with a few other bits, Deputy RD Greg will let you all know the workings of the Crone Woods half way point too.

Read the Event Page and any other questions just ask!

Clare
Mick HanneyMar 6 2024, 8:43pmHi,

Due to circumstances outside of our control we won't be using chip timing on Saturday. So, at registration, don't worry about getting a chip allocated or scanned.

Please follow directions at registration and we will add each runner onto the laptop (verified against the pre-entered list).

At the finish we'll do our best to provide a normal (as possible) results service. Please make sure your race no. is visible coming through the finish line.

Regards,

Mick
Colm DoolanMar 8 2024, 5:48amHi there,

Would there anyway I could get a ticket for this event? Apologies for the short notice.
Thanks
Colm
Rachel O'CallaghanMar 8 2024, 7:33amHi Clare, I’m a DNS for this race tomorrow. Number 2133.
Best of luck to everyone. Enjoy the race.
Thanks

Rachel O'Callaghan
Caroline BidetMar 8 2024, 9:26amThank you Clare re. Early start. I'll be there for 8.15am.
Greg RobinsMar 8 2024, 5:42pmCrone Wood turnaround briefing and appeal:
- Watch out for hikers/dogs/kids milling around the barrier.
- Run down and touch the barrier first, then start back up the hill.
- Make sure your number is acknowlegded before you leave. If we don't log it you were never there.
- No need to stop. If you do stop, move beyond the barrier into the car park. Keep the barrier area & race table clear.
- Basic running repairs available for any injuries, triage will be by volume of blood, not wailing.
- Water barrels available to top up your bottle. Please be considerate (no drinking from the tap/washing/brushing teeth, etc.)
- Bowl of jellies and jaffas - when they're gone, they're gone.
Clare KeeleyMar 8 2024, 10:11pmLast minute stuff…
The weather tomorrow is going to be wet and cool so dress appropriately. Definitely make sure you bring all kit required for Level B and we will make a call in the morning. I was up on the some of the route this morning and there was still some patches of snow! The wind was sharp!
This year as a little pilot project we are providing a small savoury treat at the finish….. all I can say is ONE EACH!!!
See you all in the morning.
Clare
Mark TongeMar 9 2024, 1:37pmThanks to Clare and all the volunteers for a brilliantly run event. We were also lucky with the weather too. The buff and especially the sausage roll were a great finishers treat.
Brian PurcellMar 9 2024, 2:06pmWell done Clare and all the crew for a great race, the food after was delicious, fair play
Alan KennedyMar 9 2024, 2:11pmThanks Clare for a great event. And as always the brilliant volunteers in horrible cold conditions especially at the end, Mick, Linda, Vivian and many others. Sausage rolls and coke after was great treat.
Dave DochertyMar 9 2024, 2:52pmBest sausage rolls ever! Who supplied them again? Something 28?
Massive thanks to Clare and crew for all the hard work. Can we switch off the shitty weather for the MM race?
Joan RyanMar 9 2024, 3:00pmClaire you did a fantastic job of Race D

Thank you so much to the great volunteers for being out for so long.

And the treats at the end were just what was needed.
Stephen BrennanMar 9 2024, 3:06pmThat was great Cl. Thanks everyone.

Feet up now to watch the match
Stephen BrennanMar 9 2024, 3:07pmClare!
Peter ThompsonMar 9 2024, 5:03pmGreat race, well done Clare and all the volunteers!
Alice ClancyMar 9 2024, 5:07pmThank you so much Clare and team for today!!! It was well organised and marshalled! Manky weather to be sure, but lots of good cheer on the route and lovely treats at the finish line distracted us all from that!!
Obigraf DaskalovMar 9 2024, 5:30pmGreat job Rd and team. Thank you for great event. Purfect surprise at the end.
Is it too much to ask who supplies these sausage rolls, they were amazing..
Thank you!
Clare KeeleyMar 9 2024, 5:32pmAnother year and another Wicklow Way Half!
Thank you all for running and racing today, for looking out for each other and for being so patient at the start when I realized I had made a mistake with my race list (I still have no idea how I managed to do that -jasus!)
Our race winners today were Barry Mc Evoy and Sarah Flanagan, 2nd place went to Peter Roche and Martsje Hell and third places to Karol Cronin and Emily Ryan.
Just the biggest thanks to our team of volunteers today who kept their cool at registration when we had to kick into old school writing down everything.
At Pier gates we had Linda Rowden, Eimear Deegan, Mick Hanney, Andy Hanney, Vivian OGorman, Stephen Byrne, Sarah Byrne, my own Sarah Keeley, Francis Conroy, Niall Mc Hugh, Deirdre Grogan and Jemma Mc Carthy, over at Crone Woods turn around we had Greg Robins, Lee O’Boyle , Henny Brandsma, Ann Robinson and Trisha Mc Loughlin.
Our pilot project of the hot savory snack worked out really well , thank you to Kitchen 28 in Kilcoole for providing a super service.
Thanks to Noel Robb for the printing of the Buffs again this year.
A big thank you also to Niall from Biking.ie who offered us his trailer yesterday when the weather was looking terrible and that too worked out super. We really appreciated that kind gesture.
A special thanks to my Sarah and Liam for helping me make decisions on various things (all things!) and lots of workings out of stuff.
Please be patient with us getting the race results out to you all, I know everyone is dying to see their times and positions , this year we had no chip timing and my issue with my wrong race list will slow it down , Mick Hanney is working away on getting them all right and we will get them out when we are happy with them.
So for another year- thank you xx
Clare
Eiviltas Evan RadaviciusMar 9 2024, 5:32pmThank you, Clare, and all the volunteers for a great race today! :)
Karl BourneMar 9 2024, 5:51pmThanks Clare and team for a really well organised race. Tough conditions for all but this is the game we are in and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

The sausage rolls at the end were sent from God. Absolutely amazing!

Hope the poor girl that rolled her ankle in the Dargle Valley was ok as well? She looked in a fair bit of pain but thankfully had someone tending to her.

Great to see the removal of some of those God awful boards too! Hopefully a few more gone in 2 weeks time for MMU. See some of you there!
Alan KennedyMar 9 2024, 5:58pm@SarahFlanagan congrats on the win, maybe that base layer helped after all ;-)
Rachel HarneyMar 9 2024, 6:23pmThanks so much Clare and all organisers and especially the volunteers standing in that cold today. It was such a fun race!!
Laura-Anne MolloyMar 9 2024, 6:46pmThanks Clare and team for a great race, my first time on the Wicklow Way and won't be the last. Another fan here of those delicious sausage rolls, yumyumyum!
Pól Ó MurchúMar 9 2024, 7:20pmWell done Claire and volunteers today. Fab race and omg the sausage roll at the end…mmmmm. Well done to the winners and top placed runners. Looked to be some battle when ye were coming back out of Crone.
Dave RyanMar 9 2024, 7:34pmWell done Claire and all the volunteers. A chilly day to be standing around. The runners were the lucky ones, I think, and a big Shout out for the laptop operator. How his fingers didn't freeze while checking everyone out and everyone in.
Well done to all involved in the organisation of the event.
Mick HanneyMar 9 2024, 7:46pmHi,

Well done Clare for a smashing event.

That sausage roll was fab. If only the weather was a bit warmer and drier :-)

I have finished processing the results and I am in touch with the results secretary to upload. If we missed you in the results please let the result secretary know in due course, your name, race no., your time and whether you were Early or Regular start.

Thanks.

Mick
Gerard KeoghMar 9 2024, 8:04pmWell done Clare and team of volunteers
I did get a warm laugh on a bitter cold morning
Regarding the print out of the 23’ race :-)

Sausage rolls were delish

Well done guys
Ronan DoyleMar 9 2024, 8:16pmGreat race,
Thanks to Claire and all the volunteer's
Alex KirwanMar 9 2024, 10:31pmThank you Claire and team for another superb event!
Fanny GardynMar 9 2024, 11:31pmThank you for an amazing event today. The RD and volunteers were fantastic despite challenging conditions. Great atmosphere too. Can’t wait for Maurice Mullins.
Mick HanneyMar 10 2024, 8:44amSome of our early starters yesterday were relatively fast. For future reference the early start is for runners who are normally slower than > 160% of winners time.if yesterday was your first race we hope you enjoyed it but please bear in mind the early start guideline for subsequent races.
John O'BrienMar 10 2024, 1:59pmThanks Claire and crew for organising a brilliant race.
Really enjoyed it, and well done to all the participants.
The sausage rolls were a great call!!
Mary CollinsMar 10 2024, 3:00pmThanks Claire and all your hardy volunteers for the Wicklow half. Found the wind tough out there so thanks for patient wait at end.
Stephen BailieMar 10 2024, 5:12pmSausage Roll Heaven
Clare KeeleyMar 10 2024, 9:45pmI really appreciate all the lovely comments from yesterday x
Photos of the podium winners up on the site now.
Thank you Mick for working on getting the results ready for results secretary so quickly.
The very best of luck to Deputy RD Greg taking on his first RD role in Ardgillin in May- you are going to be great!
Anyone considering RD’ing, check out Liam’s forum post and get your name in for the training evening coming up soon. It is very rewarding, even if your brain is so fried you print off the previous year race entry list!!
See some of you at MMU!!!
Jeff SwordsMar 11 2024, 12:00pmResults are up now, any issues email imraresults at gmail dot com

Thanks to Mick for the hard work on the laptop on the day and for getting the results file to me quickly.
Mick HanneyMar 11 2024, 6:57pmThanks Jeff.

Ok people, time to show your love for Saturday's great event, by getting some race reports up there. All literary styles welcome.
Jeff SwordsMar 12 2024, 11:59amUpdates and clarifications etc to the results for those who've been in touch have been made.
Andrew HanneyMar 12 2024, 1:49pmAs this race was being manually recorded results wise, I was there to photo the finishers so we would have a record to help Mick. Far too many people did not show their numbers crossing the line despite being told to do it, so for those cases I couldn’t help.
When the marshals shout show your number it does not mean call your number out. Show your number is also so we can capture it on camera and add you to the results. For the next time! Well done everyone.
Barry McEvoyMar 27 2024, 8:04pmHi Report readers,
Report up for this race.
Thanks Clare and volunteers for a great time.
Baz
noel bolandMar 28 2024, 2:30pmBrilliant reading guys thank you.