Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Race

AuthorDateMessage
Damian ConwayJan 4 2023, 3:06pmHi,

Just wondering which direction the race will be going this year? Will it be starting in Carlow ending in Marlay?

Thanks
Lillian DeeganJan 21 2023, 2:42pmAfternoon Damian,
Apologies for the delay getting a reply up before now. With the 2023 race page updated a tad, I can confirm we will race a south/north gig this year - Clonegal to Marlay it is.

To all race day hopefuls:
As above, I've added a little basic info. to the WW Race page. With us taking this one as a winter event for '23, I might well add a few more Mandatory Kit items - more anon there.

And I will get the CP Cut-offs and drop bag options up in a bit. I need to hit the middle section of the route on foot to check coverage for the trackers before I confirm all.

Entry costs: I've a few bits to look at for race day spending with the IMRA committee. As soon as I can reach on that, I'll get a cost for entry posted. I'd be hoping to keep the cost at €60 but I'm highlighting the cost as a just in case for now.

Finally, thanks to the few lads who have sent through their entry qualifier link details - lads, as soon as I possibly can, I will get back to all of you.

Good luck to all hoping to race the Wicklow Way come mid Oct. '23. IMRA have plenty of 50k plus races coming up which will allow you find a qualifier for Oct. 13th in good time should you be needing one.

I'll be back again late Feb. to firm up on the few outstanding updates for this gig.

Happy trail running till then.

Lillian
Rex BrillantesMay 14 2023, 12:48amHello.

Any updates for registration.

Thanks
alan ritchieJun 12 2023, 10:38pmAnyone recommend any sections to recce? Think about giving this a crack this year. Know the section from Maurice Mullins fairly well. So would be the first 80km or so I don’t know
Declan McInerneyJun 16 2023, 8:54pmI'm going to do a bit tomorrow if anyone is interested in a recce going to start from Iron Bridge near Aughvanagh around 1.30pm, run down to and back up towards Drumgoff.
Declan McInerneyJun 16 2023, 8:55pmDown to Moyne and back up towards Drumgoff
Lillian DeeganJul 4 2023, 11:59amMorning all,
I'm on with a brief update on the WW Race. Many thanks for the steady flow of entry pre-approval emails coming in. I'll get back to those who I've not been in touch with yet over the next few days all going well.

Plus, I am hoping to get the last of the event page particulars up by month end. The latter will include the '23 entry fee cost once budget approvals are firmed up on at committee mid July.

Happy miler building for now :)

Lillian
Walsh RowanAug 9 2023, 9:34amHi,

Just wondering if there is any update on approval for race entry and race details for this race as need to organise accommodation.
neil shanahanAug 13 2023, 12:03pmJust looking to know when the race approval for the race will start or if it has already? I haven't gotten any response on email for two weeks now.
Declan McInerneyAug 13 2023, 2:43pmAnyone interested in doing a night recce Clonegal to Iron Bridge/Glenmalure? Thinking around end of August to mid September. Would be good to get a group together to do this.
Fergus BradyAug 27 2023, 8:43pmHi,

Just wondering if race approvals had gone out yet. I haven't heard anything.

Thanks.
Lillian DeeganAug 28 2023, 3:27amMorning all,

The wait is over (almost) - I shortened the long finger tonight :) The event page has been updated and replies have gone out to all who emailed for entry approval. Sorry for the delay. It’s only fabulous to see such a strong field of women seeking an entry - go the girls!

If I’ve missed your entry approval email with qualifier criteria to wicklowwayrace@gmail.com - can you let me know.

Advance thanks to my early bird volunteers - it’s great to see so many hop in for this long distance event - thanks a lot guys. I’ll be in touch over the coming weeks to see where best works for you on race day.

Shop opening dates are up - please see the event page. Once the shop closes, it won’t reopen.

Only runners with prior approval will be on the start line in Clonegal.

Sign-in will be in Clonegal village from 19h. Gun time is 21h. We will run a zoom pre-race info. session in late Sept.- date TBC.

Any odd questions - fire them on.

Otherwise, good luck minding yourself and staying injury free till race night.

Lillian
Ali HallAug 28 2023, 10:49amWoo hoo! Great news, can't wait.
Ali HallAug 28 2023, 11:28amI have a question.

Are support crews (not support runners) allowed, and if so is there a restriction on where they can provide support e.g only at dedicated checkpoints?

Thank you :-)
Fergus BradyAug 28 2023, 2:01pmHi Declan McInerney,

I'd be interested in that night recce. Drop me an email (fergus.brady@gmail.com) and we can see if we can hook-up. Thanks.
Lillian DeeganAug 29 2023, 3:17pmHi Ali,
On race crews - yes, crewing is allowed only at official CPs in order to keep the race fair for everyone.

Anyone found to have crew assistance outside official CPs will have a time penalty added to their result without any debate. Nearer gun time, I'll give more specific details of this time penalty.
Ali HallAug 29 2023, 4:39pmThank you Lilian for answering that on support crews. Makes absolute sense.

One last one for me.

Are poles allowed? I know the start isn't conducive for them, but they may be useful for the last 30 miles perhaps.

Thanks
Lillian DeeganAug 29 2023, 5:03pmNo worries Ali. And yep, poles are ok to use for this event.
Declan McInerneyAug 31 2023, 6:53pmI'm going to do a night recce Clonegal to Glenmalure Friday 15th or Saturday 16th September. Anyone interested in teaming up? Give me a email deaglanmacan@gmail.com. Thank you.
Phil behanSep 1 2023, 1:52pmAli, poles at Glendalough would also be a good shout. The next stop after that would be Crone Woods so that might be a little bit too late to really get use out of them.
Jim WalshSep 9 2023, 8:55pmHi Lillian, is the gpx still accurate? I believe there have been a few tweaks to the Wicklow Way due to forest felling etc.
Thanks in advance.
Lillian DeeganSep 10 2023, 2:01pmGood man Jim- I'm a believer also. Glad to see you are too. Great to see you are checking all things race route wise - thanks.

And yes, there are two changes on the 80 miler route afaik. The file on the event page is all good in the main hence why it's stayed up. If I can source a new more up to date complete gpx link prior to event day, I'll post it here.

If you want to assist everyone racing, you can fire away and post a msg on here noting the route changes you are aware of.

#KeepBelieving
Lillian DeeganSep 10 2023, 5:55pmI now have a sufficient volunteer head count for this race.

Many thanks to all the folk who have hopped in for this one giving me your free time for this long distance, night into day event. Guys, I'll be in touch over the next 2 weeks to see what best suit you location wise.

For anyone else, if you are due to give back to IMRA on the volunteering front, worry not - We have the Kilmac. Running Festival coming up and RD Graham and RD Linda will be helper seeking aplenty.

With us nearing seasons end/ YE, I can confirm - we have 34 members with 10 races + one help listed. In order to qualify for the End-of-Year prize, members need to have 10 races and 2 helps (at a minimum). These 34 members need to try and squeeze in another helper few hours with IMRA to be counted for the 2023 item.

So don't be shy, fire away and hop in for Linda on Oct. 6th or for Graham on Oct. 7th if you can at all.

Thanks everyone- Lillian
Karl RichardsSep 13 2023, 11:41amHi All there are a few of us planning to run clonegal to glenmalure this free issue night. Starting at 9pm. The plan is to run it sociably and for some new runners to get to know the route as per race conditions. Others are welcome to join. Food water and rainproof jacket needed.
Raghnall O'DonoghueSep 13 2023, 1:19pmHi Karl, when are you doing this recce? Should that read "this Friday night"? Thanks
Karl RichardsSep 13 2023, 2:38pmYes the Recce is this Friday 15 September. There are 4 of us driving up from Wexford and will leave a car in glenmalure.
Raghnall O'DonoghueSep 13 2023, 9:53pmKarl, I'm down to do Stone Cross on Saturday morning to get some hills into the legs....I don't think I would survive both!

If there are any more night recces planned do post here and I will happily make up numbers. Thanks.
Lillian DeeganSep 16 2023, 9:26pmGreat going today Rags :) You and all your fellow hardy snipers taking Stone Cross to Lug got to sharpen yer nav skills no end on such a soft day above - fair dues. ‘Twas only marvellous seeing ye all brave the elements in such high spirits. Recover well racers, Oct. 13th is no length off :) Kudos to RD Jarlath and crew for putting on another smasher of an all day SCTL event.

WW Racer folk,
We have a bit of merch in the shop there. Brian and Kamila have run us off a real neat design on a long sleeve 3/4 zip running top. We’ve two colours available until this day two weeks - Oct. 30th. Shirts can be collected ar sign-in on race night in Clonegal. Happy shopping if it’s your thing :) Any Q’s, give me a shout here or via wicklowwayrace@gmail.com

Lillian
Lillian DeeganSep 16 2023, 9:56pmWoopsie -my bad - I've one eye on the match here :)

The above closing date for the shirt purchase option should read Sept. 30th.

We have a two week shopping window for anyone who want to buy a shirt to collect on the start line in Clonegal on Oct. 13th.
Aideen BurkeSep 17 2023, 8:26amLillian - apologies but I have to pull out of volunteering at this event due to a last minute overseas trip. Wishing you and all the crew and runners the best of luck, I’m sure it will be a fantastic race!
Laura FlynnSep 17 2023, 9:33amI’ll step in in Aideen’s place Lillian if you still need someone
Michael Jeremiah O'SullivanSep 17 2023, 2:11pmAnyone have space in a car pool? I was hoping the leave car at Marley Park and get a lift to the start. I could do itrhe other way round and get a lift back to the start. Is it okay to leave your car at Marley Park?
Thanks,
Michael
neil shanahanSep 17 2023, 8:00pmLillian where do put a size for t-shirt? Or is there going to a selection of sizes on the day?
Mick HanneySep 18 2023, 7:08amre: t-shirt size. If you click on Account (top left beside My Profile), t-shirt size is a setting that can be updated and held against your runner profile.
Lillian DeeganSep 18 2023, 11:18amNo worries Aideen, these things happen. Thanks for the early doors msg. Laura, thx a mil for hopping into Aideen's place.

Michael, you could make use of the car pool link to the bottom of the event page. Once you stick up your details for a car share, you'll have access to other fellow runners info allowing ye to make direct contact. See how you go and come back to me if needed.

On overnight parking at Marlay Park - I'm working on specifics. You'll be ok to park in a particular area about the park. More on this nearer race day.

And Neil,
On the shirt sizes - will you bear with me. I've sent a msg my end this morning for this detail to be added. I think we may have missed by accident, thx for highlighting the error. We'll get it corrected as soon as my side have a few free minutes.
Samuel FoxSep 18 2023, 4:43pmMichael - I am also trying to arrange logistics without having to get my wife to drop/collect me - where the suggestion has not gone down well :). I see that Aleksandras has a car pool ticket open on the event page and looking to arrange suitable logistics, perhaps if we have one or two more we could look at meeting up at Marley, parking up and booking transport down to the start line? Anyone else interested in this?
Lillian DeeganSep 19 2023, 9:02amMorning everyone

Neil - I've an update on the running top sizes. Having spoke to Conor last night, the follow up msg on the sizes is - Con will pull the shirts ordered and tie each purchase back to the runners imra sizing profile.

So, anyone who wants to order a running top you just need to pick/ purchase the colour and the item (in your size) will be in Clonegal on Oct. 13th.
Grzegorz KiedaSep 19 2023, 6:23pmHi,
Samuel and Michael I would be interested to join you for the idea booking a transport from Marley Park to starting line. You can sign me up for that.
Ivan LevkivskyiSep 19 2023, 7:13pmSamuel, I am also interested in booking a transport from Marlay Park to the start line.
Michael Jeremiah O'SullivanSep 20 2023, 11:28amHi Samuel,
That sounds like a good plan. Park at Marley Park and shared transport to the start.
Eamonn HodgeSep 20 2023, 12:15pmHi Samuel, are you thinking of a minibus from Marlay to Clonegal? If so I'd be interested.
Eamonn HodgeSep 20 2023, 12:20pmDoes anyone have a Titan Sports long sleeve top already? Not sure if I should get small or medium.
Samuel FoxSep 20 2023, 2:20pmPerfect - there seems to be a bit of interest. I will set up another carpool and if anyone interested can register their interest there by booking a spot, then I will get sent contact details and set up a group so we can communicate outside of this forum. Perhaps if people could do this by mid week next week so I can get a good idea of numbers and then outline what the cost may be. Hope this is all OK Lillian - we will likely have a few cars to leave in Marley overnight and will take instructions from you on where to leave them. Thanks all
Eamonn HodgeSep 20 2023, 4:37pmHi Lillian,

Do you have many entered so far?!
Any chance of a start list?

Eamonn
Paul FlynnSep 20 2023, 5:59pmEvent page says 54 entries sold.
Lillian DeeganSep 21 2023, 11:09amMorning all,

Sam, that all sounds great - thanks a lot for taking the lead on a car pool plan. As soon as I have specifics on a parking area, I will update everyone.

Eamonn, the reply to your first Q on entry numbers is as Paul noted (thanks Paul). These details are on the event page for everyone to see. On the second Q re: publishing the entry listing to date - I will be doing this when I have the trackers linked to the runners.

As it stands, I have two lads entered without prior approval. While I know one of the runners, I haven't a scooby on who the other is. Regardless, without prior approval to secure an entry, neither runner will be on my start list as per event page and as per shop instruction on pre-entry requirements.

Lillian
Stéphane ClaudeSep 22 2023, 9:50amHi Samuel, I'm also interested to book a seat for the Marley Park to Clonegal journey.
Samuel FoxSep 22 2023, 1:12pmHi Stéphane. Head to the carpool set up at the bottom of the event page and book a spot, then your number will be sent to me and I will add you in. Anyone else interested in sharing a minibus from Marley to the start line please do the same. That makes 10 or us so far, I will give it a few more days then try and firm up plans/costs.
Colin CaseySep 25 2023, 11:24amHi Lillian. Is this year's Ironbridge checkpoint at Ironbridge or is it at the forestry exit into military road 4/5k longer (Similar to 2021)? Thanks. Colin
Lillian DeeganSep 26 2023, 1:12pmHey Colin, the Iron Bridge CP will be just up from the river, off the little dirty climb headed north. A pic of the location has been added to the photos on here. The move up has been made to allow my CP volunteers to have a phone signal but more so to avoid hours of midge biting from the Derry River.
Alan ElwoodSep 28 2023, 5:48pmHi Samuel. I'm coming down from up North and would appreciate a lift to the start from the finish at Marley Park. Is that possible?
Peter DoyleSep 28 2023, 11:34pmAfter much procastination have finally plucked up the courage to enter.
Will be first time taking it on and hence somewhat nervous/ apprehensive of what I'm letting myself in for - especially in the initial night hours.
I've done the full route in stages over various IMRA races and hikes but this will be first time putting it all together in one go (and mixing day/ night).
Hence hoping there might be a few others in similar situation (steady plodders rather than racers) that are focussed on getting through the night safely and then, hopefully, to Marlay Par in the 19 - 21 hour time bracket.
So if anyone fits the bill and wants to buddy up for the night hours to keep ourselves on track I'd be delighted to hear from them.
Had been hoping to get out for a couple of night-time recces but a recently badly timed dose of Covid put paid to those plans. Might try and get out in next week or so if I can and if anyone else fancies it.
Alan ElwoodOct 1 2023, 8:03pmHi Peter. You're ahead of me if you've done the full route. I'm relying on map and compass for the vast majority of it. I'm not sure what age bracket you are in but I'm M50 and if all goes well (and it may not) thinking 18- 19 hrs might be a good time. I've a bit of night to day and distance running experience but this is my first ultra race of this nature so I'd be happy to trot round with you if that suits.

Also, (silly question time) I see that trackers are on the mandatory kit list but I'm assuming we get given one on registering. Does anyone know if that is correct?
John Garry MooreOct 1 2023, 8:16pmHi Alan

The tracker is part of the mandatory kit because it has to be attached to your running pack, the tracker will be supplied and fitted to your pack by Primal Tracking at registration in Clonegal.

Good luck
Grzegorz KiedaOct 2 2023, 12:23pmJust wondering if the water will be available to refill on the checkpoints ??
Lillian DeeganOct 2 2023, 12:34pmYep, the CPs will have water, coke, fruit, some jellies and chocolate.

We will have early morning hot food at the 1/2 way marker - Glenmalure Lodge.
Grzegorz KiedaOct 2 2023, 12:49pmThank you Lillian
Paul FlynnOct 2 2023, 1:13pmHi Lillian,

Just wondering, are you still planning to hold the Zoom call?

Thanks,
Paul
Lillian DeeganOct 2 2023, 1:17pmHi Paul,
I’m sorting the last few bits for the race day booklet this week. I hope to get same shared later this week. And I’ll be including the zoom session details there too.
Raghnall O'DonoghueOct 2 2023, 4:47pmHi Lillian. Will there also be Iron rich, high carbodydrate breakfast drinks on offer at Glenmalure lodge checkpoint as we pass through? Possibly in portions around 568ml. I hear they are Good For You.
Raghnall O'DonoghueOct 2 2023, 4:47pmHi Lillian. Will there also be Iron rich, high carbohydrate breakfast drinks on offer at Glenmalure lodge checkpoint as we pass through? Possibly in portions around 568ml. I hear they are Good For You.
Graham K. BusheOct 2 2023, 5:13pmSo Good, you heard it twice?
alan ritchieOct 2 2023, 9:26pmHi Lillian,

For the Hi-Viz/reflective upper layer can this be a luminous t-shirt or do you need something additional to put on top of waterproofs?

Will have head touch with flashing red light at the back for road sections/crossings.

Thanks
Alan
Peter DoyleOct 2 2023, 9:52pm@ Alan Elwood: good to hear from you and be very happy to buddy up for the event to so we can try and stay on track through the night hours at least and then she what the day brings. Others more than welcome to join our little band :-)
Lillian DeeganOct 3 2023, 3:15pmHi Alan,
Nope - the hi-viz/ reflective upper layer cannot not be a t-shirt. I need for all runners to be visible especially when on country roads from the early route stages. T-shirts luminous or not, won't be comfortably worn over a running jacket and backpack.

A hi-vis outer layer to be visible to cars and the like is what this part of the mandatory kit relates to. A basic RSA type hi-vis sleeveless top is what's required.

A msg for all ok'd entries: We will have a zoom session next Tuesday evening, Oct. 10th. More info. on this will be covered in the race day info. booklet to be emailed to you this week, Friday all going well my end.
Alan ElwoodOct 3 2023, 3:38pm@peter Doyle - excellent. I'll be following you then :-). The craic will be mighty I've no doubt.
@John Garry Moore - cheers for clarifying we are issued a tracker and don't have to bring our own (I thought that would be the case).
Eoin PhelanOct 4 2023, 2:47pmHi, I was down to marshall at Iron bridge. I can no longer make it. I have un-volunteered. sorry about the hassle
alan ritchieOct 4 2023, 6:31pmPerfect. Thanks Lillian
Shane O'NeillOct 4 2023, 7:41pmHi, I was wondering, if anyone has a GPS for the race.
Mick HanneyOct 4 2023, 8:06pm@Lillian - I'll have one of my lads in tow to help above Ironbridge.
Barry PlunkettOct 6 2023, 8:27am@Lillian After a sudden tragic death within my extended family this week, I was wondering if it is aloud to wear a t-shirt with a picture and message displayed asking anybody who would be kind enough if they could spare anything to donate towards supporting a young family of 3 children under 7 years old and a pregnant wife? Via a revolut or go fund me type of thing? I completely understand if this type of request is against the rules for reasons like scamming etc but just thought I would check to see if there is anything I can do to help the family in my own way though an extremely difficult time. Thank you.
Samuel FoxOct 6 2023, 6:40pmOne space now free on the mini bus from Marley, if needed by anyone give me a shout.
Richard GallagherOct 6 2023, 7:58pm@Samuel
Available for the free space on mini bus from Marlay
Rory CampbellOct 6 2023, 8:31pmHi Shane, there's a gpx of the wicklow way at https://visitwicklow.ie/wicklow-way-map-gps-and-overall-information/ but of course that's just a guide to the ww. Certain parts may have changed (ascent from glenmalure by mullacor no longer via the slabs is one example). Actual race is via the signage. Route will also be on tracker I imagine.
Shane O'NeillOct 6 2023, 9:24pmRory that's very helpful thanks very much. Long way to get lost.
Alan ElwoodOct 6 2023, 9:48pm@Lillian - instead of a foil blanket I plan to carry a survival bag. I assume that's okay given it provides more protection and can be used as a blanket if required. Just want to check you're happy before I turn up at the kit check.
Lillian DeeganOct 6 2023, 10:51pmHiya Alan,
Yes, that’s a quality item to carry. Let’s hope you nor any runner on your path needs to make use of it.
Samuel FoxOct 7 2023, 12:17amRory, added a new carpool place, if you sign up for the space there I will then add you into the group.
Samuel FoxOct 7 2023, 8:04amMeant Richard...must not have been reading straight so late at night, hopefully my map reading skills are better.
Ali HallOct 9 2023, 8:53amHey - I saw mention of a ZOOM call on Tuesday evening. Is this going ahead? Where can we find the details for it?

Cheers

Ali
Grzegorz KiedaOct 9 2023, 11:01amMorning Lillian
Ar the email with the last details went on already ?
Thanks
Lillian DeeganOct 9 2023, 12:33pmBarry - sorry to hear this, sincere condolences on your loss. Having had a funeral my end last week too, I missed making a reply to query, sorry. And yes, absolutely. There is no issue with your ask - fire ahead and good luck with it.

All participants,
The race day info. book has been email just now with thanks to my DRD Phil Behan - cheers Phil ;) The link for the zoom session is detailed on the comms also.

Any queries- send them on to wicklowwayrace@gamil.com

Lastly, Primal Tracking are working on the start list. As soon as it's shared with me, I'll stick it up here.

Lillian
Lillian DeeganOct 10 2023, 3:57pmTracker link for the 10th edition of the Wicklow Way Race has landed. The below link has the couple of route changes corrected. Saying same with a word to the wise - On race night and day - lift your head up from the arm candy when you hit a junction to be sure you stay on the route and not add extra unnecessary milers to your legs and mindset.

https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flive.primaltracking.com%2Fwwrace2023&data=05%7C01%7C%7Cf543a54621f2441694c508dbc903f65c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638324791149401077%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=SLoumdWyNzahXyWSJ52%2B0M9n%2BbSvbhHTw0abi%2Boc4uc%3D&reserved=0
Mick HanneyOct 10 2023, 4:18pmIt would help greatly at Checkpoints if runners would clearly mark their bag with name and Tracker no. (Easier than IMRA race no for this event?)
Rex BrillantesOct 10 2023, 6:57pmHi Lillian
Is the t shirt still available to order? I would like 1 medium please.
Thanks
Walsh RowanOct 10 2023, 8:40pmHi Lillian, many thanks for tonight. Could you please keep a large t-shirt for me if you have a spare, thank you
Michael Jeremiah O'SullivanOct 10 2023, 8:51pmThanks Lillian, medium t-shirt for me please if available
Lillian DeeganOct 10 2023, 9:29pmGreat attendance for that info. session tonight - thanks to Phil and all participants. The zoom recording is converting away on the desk here. As soon as it’s done it’s thing, I’ll do my thing and get it shared adding a few odd bits that came up over the call.

On the shirts - they arrived this morning. Boxes ain’t opened just yet. But I have ordered a few extra in both colours - so for anyone who wants one - can you email me on the race Gmail (don’t want to fill the forum with colours and size jazz). Sizes and colours from the spares will be passed on in order of requests that come in. For the few who have had to drop out, I’ll have your purchase with me on race da. Remind me if I see you about and otherwise, I’ll see you about the scene before YE.

Runners - enjoy your last few comfie sleeps ahead of gun time :)
Shane O'NeillOct 10 2023, 10:14pmIs anyone else not able to open the link for the tracking.
Phil behanOct 10 2023, 10:42pmTry this Shane https://live.primaltracking.com/wwrace2023/
Shane O'NeillOct 11 2023, 10:40amPhil thanks very much. See you Friday evening
Paul FlynnOct 11 2023, 11:31amLooking at the Primal Tracking route, it still seems to be going the old way up Mullacor. At least it's not going the way that was signposted when I recce'd it about a month ago.

Is anybody else seeing the same?
Eoin KeithOct 11 2023, 11:37amThe key rule about the route is this one :

Runners must follow the Wicklow Way route as it is on the day of the race. This means that any diversions as signposted on the day must be followed.

So it doesn't matter what is shown on the tracker. Follow the signposts, including any diversions that may be put in place (not unusual for Coilte to have diversions in place due to forestry operations). If the new route on Mullacor is what is signposted, then that is what you follow.
Paul FlynnOct 11 2023, 11:57amThanks Eoin. Yes I do understand that it is the signposts on the day that must be followed.

It's just that Lillian made a point of saying that the tracker route did include that specific change, which is why I am querying it.
Liam VinesOct 11 2023, 1:15pmHi Paul
It does look as if the route primal have down is the old route.I will give them a shout and see can they change it.
But all the WW way markers are in place on the new route so that is the route to be followed.
The marker that used send you Right up the Devils steps now is a straight on marker.
As Eoin says WW is always ran as it is marked on the day..
Avril ChallonerOct 11 2023, 1:28pmThis page shows the new route up Mullacor:

https://eastwestmapping.ie/wicklow-way-update/

Looks like you go another 200m or so past the old way up the Devils Steps. Photo of it looks like a decent path so shouldn't be easily missed. I haven't recced it myself so this is just info taken from the eastwest site.
Liam VinesOct 11 2023, 1:34pmPrimal route is up to date now..
You might just need to close the page and reopen it..

Only 2 more sleeps…..
Paul FlynnOct 11 2023, 1:43pmIt looks right now, thanks Liam and Avril.

For anybody using Garmin Connect, I've saved the full route as a pubilc course called "Wicklow Way 2023".
Lillian DeeganOct 11 2023, 3:01pmThanks for sorting that there lads - cheers.

On last night’s zoom session, getting to Clonegal came up as one for further mention. I’m sharing a link to where the Reg./ Sign-in area will be located.

Link to the Reg. area in Clonegal - https://maps.app.goo.gl/y1PRi9ufbs5JRP3b9?g_st=com.microsoft.Office.Outlook.compose-shareextension

Registration will open at 19:30 and close at 20:45. The race will start bang on 21h.

For Reg. sign-in - all runners need to present with their backpack in hand for kit check and for the tracker to be attached.

All runners will get their IMRA race bib No. at sign-in. This race No. has the IMRA emergency phone number on the reverse. The Emrg. No. has been shared in your road book - save it to the phone you plan to race with now to have it done ahead of gun time. And remember- phones cannot be on airplane mode to save the battery. I won’t be able to call you if your phone is in that mode.

Any other odd queries ahead of Friday night, fire them on.

Lillian
Ali HallOct 11 2023, 8:04pmHi Lillian

My crew is asking if the barriers for the Glendalough car park will be open allowing them access.

Cheers

Ali
Joseph BoyleOct 12 2023, 3:55pmAli,
Lillian's not at a computer at present and asked me to reply. I contacted the Visitor Centre and they said that the gates open at 08:00 on Saturday. Lillian also asked me to generally note to everyone to be mindful of the noise levels early in the morning as the hotel is next door. Best of luck to everyone taking part and see you on Saturday morning.
Raymond CumminsOct 12 2023, 5:19pmRe - Glendalough Car Park, early in the morning there is also the possibility of parking outside the Car Park. I have had my crew just outside in the past and it was fine.
John Murphy74Oct 12 2023, 7:27pmTo ask a stupid question. Which number do I.put ony drop bags. My number on the start list or the number in brackets beside it?
Lillian DeeganOct 12 2023, 7:46pmHiya John, stick your tracker No.(#57) and name on there. The CP volunteers will see you coming a mile off then. Are ya with me ;) [I was tempted to say chance your lucky number and hope for the best]
Lillian DeeganOct 12 2023, 7:48pmWoopsie - John - don't put #57 on there. Your tracker No. is #56 - I'll lose your drop bags yet.!
Lillian DeeganOct 12 2023, 9:48pmThis time tomorrow night wont come soon enough for many - here's hoping all our runners have a decent sleep tonight.

With the rain expected to pass off early morning, I'm few bits ahead of Reg. time.

> Reg. will open at 19:30 and close at 20:45.
> You will get your race bib and tracker at Reg. Bring your backpack to Reg.
> All mandatory kit needs to be brought to kit check.
> Runners with a crew - Please remind your crew - there is absolutely no outside checkpoint assistance allowed. The only assistance a runner can have from their crew is at any of the CPs on the race route.
> Take your time placing your drip bags in each CP drop bag vehicle at the start area. We will have markers at the Reg. area if you need to double check your tracker No. or name on each drop bag.
> Don't forget your hi-vis top.
> Midge spray - we'll have a few bottles to hand too.

I've just called the chipper agin there to remind them a few crazies will be local tomorrow night. And Paddy Dunnes pub also know we'll be in the locality for a few hours. Both places have toilets amd we are ok to make use of same.

And just as a reminder - The Cow has a music session on tomorrow night. While Eamonn has been kind emoug( to allow us use the car park, I want to just remind everyone- parking will most likely only be available out the Wickow Way route. Any crews we have can park out the road and come back to the pub to meet their runner. Our John McCann will have your drop bags laid out on the picnic tables under the flood light there.

So, sin è. See you in no time at all.

Lillian
Lillian DeeganOct 12 2023, 10:06pmI really should have spell checked that last one...

On with a another reminder kind of nugget - Everyone can bring a dry bag (dry clothes to change into after your race) to have sent to the finish line. Mark this bag for CP6/ Marlay Park. And obvs, this bag does not need to be of a small size. It can be a regular luggage/ gym like bag.
Andrew HanneyOct 13 2023, 7:56pmThe very best of luck to you all.
Mick HanneyOct 14 2023, 2:43pmWell done to all runners and to Lillian and her hardworking crew that worked day and night and day again to make this race a success.

It was great to be part of it at CP2. Good craic had. Particular thanks to Derek for assistance there.

Just a remark about CP bags, for learning of runners next year. Some of the bags were ridiculously (and not funny) big. Think about it for a minute. The checkpoints are by and large set up by a volunteer with an average size car. So bag size X no. of runners can fill boot space quick. Allied to that a CP has other gear that it needs to set up - food, water, tables etc. You can see that space can be at a premium, so please pack with that in mind.. Thanks to those that packed extra small bags :-)
Andy KeelingOct 14 2023, 6:39pmWell that was a doosie. Grueling, arduous, and a great opportunity
to run the full wicklow way and have the support of volunteer crews support through the ordeal. Massive gratitude to Lillian and all of the crews who gave up do much time to plan, run and look after us through the race. Thank you. You are legends.
Roger TegartOct 14 2023, 10:59pmI left my bag in the car that had the drop bags for cp3 an 4. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get back to Marley park after abandoning during the night. If someone has it ill arrange to come and pick it up during the week.
Rob TobinOct 14 2023, 11:17pmPhotos taken around Glendalough CP4 and the finish line in Marlay Park uploaded. A big well done to everyone who ran. Seeing runners skipping into Glendalough at daybreak in such high spirits at 80k, and again at the finish line, was awe inspiring.
alan ritchieOct 15 2023, 1:22amThanks to everyone that helped my dad and myself get from checkpoint to checkpoint until we got travel plans sorted after my car broke down and I SNF’d

Martin Hennessy’s partner (sorry I forgot your name) for the lifts. The lady and Glendalough for letting us stay warm in your van and Michael (I think) from Glenmalure Lodge for getting local mechanic/towing details for us

Thanks to Lillian and and all the volunteers on route
Lillian DeeganOct 15 2023, 7:39amIt’s the morning after the day before and it’s all over for another year.

Massive congratulations to each and all of the 70 hardy snipers that toed the line in Clonegal on Friday night for this years Wicklow Way Race. I think you all are absolutely amazing. From the other side of the race, the overall consensus at each checkpoint was, we had a fantastic group racing this year - fair dues to all
our runners for managing to get in and out of each CP in jig time. I’m sore there was plenty of calling hughie/ uneasy tummies on your drive home yesterday. Today and the next few days will likely see lots of sore body parts, difficulties with sitting on the toilet and struggling to get up and down steps but it’s all worth it regardless of how far you got in this race. Brain drain is your new friend for the next few days - Happy Recovery Time :)

This years race saw real nifty hard racing up the top of the field. Hat tip to our lead man - savage going there Keith Lane. And similarly for our lead lady - Lianne van Dijk #GoTheGirls. More power to yer legs and head space for closing out this distance in each of your respective times.

This race can be a two time gig for many - it can be pretty tough going to wrap in a 21h timeframe. For our racers who had to retire during the event - hard luck guys. Although, worry not, this year’s efforts will stand to you no end when you toe the line for October 2024.

Angela Flynn #21 - Ange, fair dues! 24h 52 mins - whoop whoop Sheer determination and true grit right there!

And Anthony Sheridan #69 - If I didn’t know you, I’d have been seriously troubled by your wild off track jaunting. As soon as I get all the results tidied up, I’ll go back over your mileage- it’s gotta be off the scale in our 10 year history :) From our race crew WhatsApp messages- this landed from Primal Tracking:
“ I will leave him ticking along on the tracking map until someone cuts him out of that undergrowth”. For evermore, our Coillte Crone Caper race will be linked to Sheridan.

Lastly and without doubt, very much not least - I want to say a monumental thank you to everyone of my WW Race volunteer crew. Lads ye were absolutely brilliant. Events like this one depend hugely on your giving so much time and effort to see these racers through checkpoint to checkpoint. I hope you all got home last night and today gets to be a relaxing day your end.

Results will be ran through today and published as soon as we can.

Lillian
Samuel FoxOct 15 2023, 8:40amThanks again to all the great volunteers and Lillian and Phil for a great race. It was a super night and day and the trails. Officially retired from WW attempts now.
Samuel FoxOct 15 2023, 8:44am#Patrick Devine-Wright. Think it was you I gave my WW longsleeve to at CP4. Could you drop me a line and I will give you my address to send it to. Samedfoxatyahoodotcodotuk cheers
Alan ElwoodOct 15 2023, 8:51amWhat an epic event. Friendly, fun and fantastic. Thanks to everyone involve making it possible. Great bunch of lads.
Alan ElwoodOct 15 2023, 8:55am@Alan Ritchie - glad you made it back. We met you dad broken down at Iron Bridge and Geoffrey (my crew mate) gave him a lift to Glendalough. So, we were wondering what had happed in the end. Hope you are okay too and that whatever meant you had to pull out wasn't too serious.
Raghnall O'DonoghueOct 15 2023, 9:17amAn enormous thankyou to all those who make this event happen. The scale of effort and logistics in organising really becomes apparent as you move between CPs and get 5-star treatment at each. Lillian and team and all the volunteers take a bow!
David DunneOct 15 2023, 10:30amLillian & team a massive thank you for all you did and do to have such a mammoth event go so smooth. CP’s were just magic and support was top class.
Declan McInerneyOct 15 2023, 10:56amLillian, Phil and all the volunteers - massive thank you for all your effort and organisation. What a fantastic event! I think you have to see it to believe it. Congrats to all the runners, hope to be back again for another go.
Peter DoyleOct 15 2023, 11:18amWhat a great experience! Delighted to finish the race.
That said it would not have been possible without the extraordinary efforts and support from the teams of volunteers, Marshall's, organisers, etc.
As a first timer I was in awe at the number of volunteers that gave up their time thru night and day to make the event happen and keep us runners going.
Special mention has to be made to the wonderful home cooked pancakes at Crone CP. Lifesavers - thanks to the chief!!
And, of course, extra special mention to Lillian who pulled it all together. She was everywhere on the route - start, at checkpoints, along the road, etc. The ice cream she handed out on final leg was delicious and life saving!
Thanks again for a great event.
Brian hutchinsonOct 15 2023, 11:22amThanks organisers, station volunteers, supporters and runners for an awesome WWR’23!
liam kennyOct 15 2023, 12:23pmThanks to Lillian and crew, epic race, most of all thank you to the IMRA community really showed up for this race, every checkpoint was special some old friends and definitely new friends met out there,
Lillian DeeganOct 15 2023, 12:37pmHup Liam - dying to know how many times Derek had to stop on the way back home :)

Results are gone to our Records and Results Sec. Conor will get them published as soon as he has a little free time.

Official Primal Tracking link: results.primaltracking.com
Karen ClarkeOct 15 2023, 1:33pmThank you so much to all the organisers, especially Lillian, and to all the volunteers - everyone was so encouraging and helpful. Fantastic event!
Patrick Devine-WrightOct 15 2023, 1:52pmThanks to an amazing race crew of volunteers and Lilian in particular. Hats off to you all ...
Patrick Devine-WrightOct 15 2023, 1:53pm@Sam - email coming to you now about your kindly loaned t-shirt ...
Michael Jeremiah O'SullivanOct 15 2023, 1:55pmThanks to Lillian and all the volunteers! Great event!!
Anthony SheridanOct 15 2023, 6:56pmThanks so much to all volunteers, marshalls and all those that made this race such a memorable event.

Special thanks to Lillian for her encouragement, support and patience as I continued to go off course and miss cut-off.

I do hope to be back next year
Stephen ManganOct 16 2023, 8:03amFantastic event, great credit to Lillian, the marshalls and volunteers. The crew of volunteers at every check point were brilliant, many kudos.
Grzegorz KiedaOct 16 2023, 11:10amThank you all. The race was amazing and all volunteers. Brilliant atmosphere and help from each side. For sure I will be back.
Imogen McGuinnessOct 16 2023, 11:12amWhat a great race! I really, really enjoyed running it. I want to thank all the volunteers for being so kind and helpful all along the way.
Lilian - You are deadly! Thanks for all the support over the year. I'll be back for more!
Alex KirwanOct 16 2023, 12:07pmAn incredible event! I can't thank all the volunteers enough - What a brilliant group of people - I was struggling big time for the first half, and the encouragement and overall good vibes was enough to give anyone the encouragement to getup and keep moving!

Thank you Lillian for the whole event and for the encouragement along the way. That ice cream made the climb up to Djouce a breeze ;)
Lillian DeeganOct 16 2023, 12:32pm“Djouce a breeze” Rare words them there Alex. I forgot to ask anyone racing how was Djouce weather wise this year.

Runners,
I think it is really lovely seeing the fantastic show of appreciation on here for our race day volunteers. I am getting similar emailed messages - thanks a lot guys. I always feel no one IMRA race director could ever pull off any distance race without such willingness from our membership. When the prep for a race kicks off months out from race day, it’s a definite, IMRA folk will give back in spades and that is nothing short of amazing. What a great setup to be part of.
Colin CaseyOct 16 2023, 1:33pmJust when I thought that this race couldn't get any better, Lillian and her wonderful team of helpers have only gone and surpassed previous years. From live music at The Dying Cow, to full Irish breakfast (and more importantly toilet facilities) at Glenmalure, to offers of sausages rolls in anticipation of the Curtlestown drag and to the ice cream van in Marley. A huge THANKS to Lillian and everyone at all the checkpoints who went above and beyond just so we could enjoy some time in the hills. You guys are the true heros of this race. Thank you
Paul DugganOct 16 2023, 8:01pmA big thank you to Lillian and all the fantastic volunteers who helped us runners. The attention to detail that goes into this race is incredible,thanks again everybody involved.
Roger TegartOct 16 2023, 8:23pmTrying to locate my large brown rucksack from Friday night. It was in the car taking drop bags to CP3 and 4. I wasn't able to get to the finish to pick it up.
Phil behanOct 16 2023, 8:33pmAmazing to see all the messages here. I was at most of the checkpoints mainly with the lead runners. From what I saw and heard, both the volunteers and the runners were an amazing bunch. The volunteers incredibly helpful and encouraging, the runners incredibly respectful and thankful of contribution and time people give to keep this race alive. I told Lillian that after I completed it, I would come back to volunteer. Now I keep coming back purely for the craic, the atmosphere, and the community around this race. Hats off to all the volunteers, runners and of course our fearless director Lillian. Here’s to WWR2024 !
Lillian DeeganOct 16 2023, 8:39pmRoger, thanks for identifying that bag. It is at my place. As soon as I’ve time to sort all items from the race, I will make arrangements for you to pick it up.
Angela FlynnOct 16 2023, 8:52pmHow to say anything that has not already been said? A massive thank you to Lillian and crew doesn't really do justice to the work of so many people from the IMRA community that makes this special event happen each year. This was my second and final attempt at this distance and well I did finish it - feeling a bit overwhelmed by the messages of support I got as the last finisher tbh.

The school stairs was not my friend today..
Derek JonesOct 16 2023, 9:01pmBrilliant from start to finish, craic at the checkpoints was legendary. To all the volunteers, competitors and organisers, many thanks for the great memories. Thanks Lillian for looking after my family so kindly at the finish line and myself throughout the race.
Regards
Derek
Roger TegartOct 16 2023, 9:24pmThanks Lillian; you can give out to me for not having my name on it when we meet!
Keith LaneOct 16 2023, 10:29pmHuuuuuuge thank you to Lillian, Phil and all the team for a great event. From the moment we set foot in Clonegal and all the way to marlay Park every volunteer, runner, crew member & spectator made this race something to remember.
Not only did you put on a great race but we all felt safe running off into the mountains to entertain ourselves and fulfil our ambitions, thank you!!!!
Well done to everyone who made it to the starting line
Angela FlynnOct 20 2023, 10:31pmRace report up - don't laugh or do.
James HigginsOct 21 2023, 11:55amI had a laugh and a smile Angela...but not at you but with you! Lovely report with loads of positive moments and thoughts. Well worth the few minutes it takes to read. Congrats and well done on running and finishing the Wicklow Way Race!
Caroline ReidOct 21 2023, 7:36pmGreat report Angela, thanks for taking the the time to share it. Well done again to you and everyone who toed the line in Clonegal.
lorraine Mc mahonOct 21 2023, 9:10pmorganising and volunteering in this race. We were really spoiled and wanted for nothing. A superbly organised race from start to finish..thank you Lillian. You have a fantastic crew. Much appreciated guys