Irish Mountain
Running Association

New races for 2023

AuthorDateMessage
Alan AylingSep 13 2022, 8:22amMorning all,
If anyone has any new race routes they'd like to propose for 2023, please let the committee know within the next 2 weeks, i.e. by 27th September. If possible, try to provide info on route itself, what series (if any) it might form part of, parking, access etc. Don't need absolutely every detail at this point, but we'll be looking to see how realistic any suggestions are. No commitment that new ideas will actually end up in the calendar, but we will look at all suggestions!
Post on here or email alan dot ayling at imra dot ie or lillian dot deegan at imra dot ie
John J BarrySep 14 2022, 4:03pmA trail half marathon I've been reccing / devising the route over the summer. Starts Kilsheelan Co Tipperary. Takes the Blueway to Clonmel (5km) before hitting the trails

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/9134278171
Robbie WilliamsSep 14 2022, 8:51pmHi John

Have you got the Gpx file ?

I’d like to take a look at that . Are you interested in RDing or helping for it?

Sound

Robbie
Barry O'NeillSep 16 2022, 1:23pmHi Alan, I've emailed on a suggestion for you to consider.
Thanks,
Barry
Mick HanneySep 16 2022, 2:27pmHi Alan,

1. for the Leinster Champs, Lug via Ballineddan.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7360211034

2. for the winter/spring league, a proposal for a race in Annacurra. I have a route in mind, using mainly new single tracks, which should make for a nice morning's racing.

3. Leinster Champs. Potential to bring back a race from the past e.g. Aughavanagh.

4. Lastly, potential for a race - 1 way or out and back - on the Miners way from Baravore to above Glendalough.

Regards,

Mick
John MurraySep 20 2022, 12:47pmHi Alan,

No new race persay but was thinking perhaps a new 'Non GPS' race series for distances between 25-50km spread across the complete calendar year.

We have Ultra & Long Distance leagues but these tend to be more set course routes, GPS allowed and are more runnable terrain.

I'm thinking races like Stone Cross, Glacier Lakes, Dublin Peaks, Kilmac 5 Tops, Circuit of Avonbeg or Glenmacnass. Was also thinking Reeks Skyline and Galty Crossing but I believe these are GPS allowed.
Alistair HodgettSep 20 2022, 6:35pmWas looking for a night run as there are relatively few options to race at night. Weighing up the access and safety considerations...suggesting a good candidate is a loop of approx 12km starting up through Cruagh woods and taking in Cruagh, Glendoo and Killakee. Great views over Dublin and compact enough for marshals and easy navigation. Mostly trails but with short sections of open ground on Glendoo. Registration at Tibradden car park. If there are other candidates for night runs maybe it could be part of a night run series?
Máiréad O' KeeffeSep 20 2022, 9:24pmHi Alan, thinking of a race on 3 County boundes in Cork, Limerick and kerry border, be 12 km to 15k nice ups and downs amazing views.,and will run it for correct gpx file
Parking there plenty help my club will help , local bar food.
I'll email all correct details if interested.
Thank you
Conor O'FarrellSep 21 2022, 4:38pmGreat discussion Alan.

I was looking back through the years and there are a few races that could possibly be revived. I'm not sure of the routes of them all, but here are the old event pages:
Derrybawn Trail for the Trail League: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1096
Aughavannagh for the Leinster Champs: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1033
Croghan for the Leinster League: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/449
Gibbet Hill for SEL: https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/792

The Drumgoff race from a couple of years ago was also really good fun(despite the slog up to Croghanmoira): https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1920
Gareth LittleSep 21 2022, 6:49pmhttps://www.imra.ie/events/details/id/948/

Circuit of Glendalough is a good one. Last on 10 years ago if I remember correct.
Mick HanneySep 21 2022, 6:55pmHi Conor,

Croghan would be great. More suitable for Leinster Champs / weekend type race.

Gibbet high is a great trail route. I've run route a couple of times in recent years and it is fully way-marked (in one direction) so no marking even needed.

cheers,

Mick
Conor O'FarrellSep 21 2022, 7:10pmAgreed Mick, defo a champs type race. Did realise I'd written "League" by mistake.
Lisa Quirke CashmanSep 22 2022, 8:58amHow about reviving the old Mt Hillary Trail Race 9k 320m elevation. Could be reworked for longer distance and greater elevation climb.
niall flynnSep 22 2022, 1:50pmIt'd be to have a race in West Cork--not sure if anything's already planned in the area.

Lough Hyne, Sheep's Head Way, Castlefreke Woods are all possibilities.

I'm willing to help organising if anyone else is interested.
Robbie WilliamsSep 22 2022, 4:05pmMount Hillary was a great early season race

Used to have the sambos in the Glen Theatre after

Can yere club host that in 2023?
Robbie WilliamsSep 22 2022, 4:07pmNiall , used to have one in Castlefreak few years back if we can get someone to host it would be be great

Glengarrif one coming to next year

Lads if ye can come to AGM do please
Lisa Quirke CashmanSep 22 2022, 4:46pmMt Hillary would be delighted to host Robbie, no prob.
Robbie WilliamsSep 22 2022, 7:59pmPerfect Lisa

Will ye mail me if ye are coming to agm so and I need to know meat or veggie option
Gaelan ElliffeSep 26 2022, 9:15pmNice to read some great suggestions.

Aside from the Arderin-Clear Lake loop in the Sleibh Blooms,
I would like to propose a separate easier race in the midlands.
There are a number of options but the Glenbarrow, River to Ridge(that's been run a few times) or a slight variation early enough in the year might get a few more people interested. The Arderin Race was well received but I'd be reluctant to advertise it to potential novice trail runners.

If there are any queries or issues I have a few potential tweeks which could be used.
Sarah BradySep 27 2022, 11:55amI think maybe this is already in the pipeline from what I hear, but an ultra on the Slieve Bloom Way loop would be great. Early in the year would be nice too. There's so many events competing with eachother in summer, would be great to have something like this in February or so, to fill the gap left by Slí Mhuscraí, assuming that one isn't making a comeback (I'd be very happy if it was though, that was a super race. :D)
Brian FureySep 27 2022, 12:59pmWould like to see the West Dublin Peaks or Dublin peaks race back on the calendar:
WDP:
https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1243
DP:
https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1475
John ShielsSep 28 2022, 9:09amhow about a downhill only race from the top of Djouce on the Alying abyss route finishing at the river?
Brendan LawlorSep 28 2022, 9:20am'how about a downhill only race from the top of Djouce on the Alying abyss route finishing at the river?' - The Half Ayling.. or the Half Ailing.. with most of the field fully ailing at the finish line !
Warren SwordsSep 28 2022, 12:09pmDownhill only race would be great. The Abyss Blitz!

Scarr would also work. As would Ticknock if you were to do a mtb style event with runners going every 30 seconds or so in a time trial fashion.

Or Braveheart style mass start off a suitable peak. The Red Bull foxhunt a few years looked great https://youtu.be/nv2p5TT9yFo
Aubrey O'NeillSep 28 2022, 5:18pmWe could run the Downshill Uphill Mile and a Downshill Downhill Mile at the same time just for some added entertainment...
Brian MullinsSep 28 2022, 9:51pmNot new but hopefully Donard can be back on the calendar next year. Where else can you run at break neck speed along a seafront road before turning right and realising your mistake at running so fast too early when the glen river path meets you and your legs realise it’s going to be a painful outing. And that’s even before the descent starts ;-)
Dave DochertySep 29 2022, 9:29am@Aubrey, allowing the use of poles would give it another level of entertainment. Obviously it would have to moved to another mountain. "Jousting on Djouce"?
Barry O'NeillSep 29 2022, 10:38amIf the logistics could be worked out i think a downhill race would be class.
*frantically looks over maps for suitable location*
Ricki WynneSep 29 2022, 7:05pmSorry for asking on this page but couldn’t seem to find the right place to ask !!
I wondering has anyone been selected to run the 80km in Thailand at the wmra championships in November..
I’d also like to know how to qualify for such race because all the other qualifiers are for the shorter races … thanks everyone
Leo MahonSep 30 2022, 4:33pmThere were no trials for the World Championships this year because of the uncertainty of the Covid situation in Thailand and the cost of sending teams there after a very expensive European championships in La Palma
We decided to send three individuals Zak Hanna for the Senior mens vertical and Sarah McCormack in the Classic up and down Paddy O Leary in the 80km after he expressed his interest to the selection committee who agreed after he competed the CCCs as a trial
The ideal trial race for the 80km is the Glendalough Tucker Trial.At the time of the GTT this year it was far from certain whether there would be a Worlds or not
It was only confirmed for definite last week they were going ahead
Leo MahonSep 30 2022, 5:13pmCheck the events on the calendar drop an email to
selection@imra.ie and enter event as normal
There will be World Championships in Austria 2023 early June
Ricki WynneSep 30 2022, 9:41pmThanks a million Leo , really appreciate the reply .. I’d love to have got the chance to go !!!
But ya definitely I’ll be trying to qualify for it next year.. thanks again Leo …
Peter O'FarrellOct 2 2022, 10:13pmI'd like to see that circuit of Glendo back also.

Another race in lovely Laois is a fine idea, Gaelan I'd be happy to help out with that one.

The open mountain nav events are sometimes quite daunting to approach, having an easier navigation challenge where the routes were set out in advance, GPS was allowed, guide runners were allowed, in fact everything allowed in order to encourage folk unsure of their ability out on the hill allowed.
So somewhat more open mountain than the WWR and much easier then Stone x to Lug.

The recently much used Djouce/Maulin/Luggala area could host such an event, based from that big carpark at the top of Ballinastoe. 5 legs, all relatively easy, one longish one across to Luggala area.

Also, despite running in and helping out at in them for possibly decades now I never fully understood the need for IMRA hillruns to happen in January, and possibly also February. It's coss country time. It's cold. It gets dark early. The volunteer pool is relatively small, taking an actual break from Powerscourt till March the 1st could be a good thing for everyone, especially the results and records team.
A season for every game, and all that.
The winter league could become the Spring League, and with a race every fortnight from the first weekend in March it would lead nicely into the summer leagues and be something to look forward to.
John O' MahonyOct 3 2022, 11:08amNot a new race but just an enquiry on the sli gaeltacht mhuscrai. Has the race been discontinued due to the new road?
Any chance it will see a return to the calender?
Brian FureyOct 3 2022, 2:16pmI agree with Brian Mullins on Donard. It would be great to see it back on the calendar (as long as Newcastle ok to host). Also it's better to have a slightly shorter Irish champs race such as Slieve Donard instead of opening with Carruntouhil.
Stuart ScottOct 3 2022, 4:34pmI've an idea which will keep all the uphill and downhill addicts happy. The concept is simple - a two-legged relay where one runner runs up and the other runs down. To aid logistics and safety, the downhill runner must carry up a backpack with warm clothes and some food which the other runner can then walk back down. From an organisational perspective, the times would be cumulative so they'd just need to be recorded at the finish line using chips as normal.

I've a few routes in mind - somewhere like Scarrrr, Brockagh or the Ayling Abyss to Djouce would be ideal and the uphill and downhill legs could even follow different routes to avoid issues with the NPWS. Or Luggala to Carrigvoher would be suitably 'interesting' if we could get permission...

Either way, I'd be happy to help organise it if the interest and space in the calendar was there!
Maike JürgensOct 3 2022, 6:22pmLove that idea Stuart - would it be like the Killiney relay were teams get matched randomly at registration? or do you find a mate to enter?
Stuart ScottOct 4 2022, 10:23amI reckon both - ideally team up beforehand for competitive greatness but solo runners can always be matched at reg!
Conor O'FarrellOct 4 2022, 2:56pm@Stuart, will there be an early start?
Alan AylingOct 4 2022, 6:56pmThanks everyone for your input, on here and by email. Much appreciated. All will be given due consideration!
Warren SwordsDec 2 2022, 1:35pmMay be too late but there is a great opportunity for IMRA to celebrate what will surely be the greatest film to ever be made in Ireland.

Wicklow obviously has the Excalibur Drive in recognition of the classic 1981 film.

So I'd like to propose that we rename the Scalp race to the "Cocaine Bear Run" in recognition of the fact that soon to be Cocaine Bear was filmed along the route.

Perhaps we could have the current league leader dressed in a Bear suit start 2 mins behind runners and chase down the field.

https://youtu.be/DuWEEKeJLMI
Brian KitsonDec 3 2022, 2:47pm:) hear, hear for the Cocaine Bear Trail race. Run it on 24th Feb 2023, the release date of Ireland’s new finest film.
Pól Ó MurchúDec 3 2022, 5:23pmCertainly seems to be a much pacier film than the Wonder. @Val Jones will enjoy that one!
Robert CostelloDec 11 2022, 10:40pmA poignant final movie for Ray Liotta along the magnificent trails of Wicklow.
David PowerNov 13 2023, 2:08pmI've done some research on a race location in SAGGART, south west Dublin. I need help sourcing car parking - anyone with local knowledge appreciated. There's the golf club plus a few farms around that might lend a field, but probably not til summer, so mightn't be suitable for winter/spring.
https://www.dublinmountains.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/maps/Slievethoul_lugg_saggart_hill_loop.pdf
Paul KellyNov 13 2023, 2:47pmDavid where are you thinking of starting? There is a place near Lugg that has a christmas/Santa expierence that has a fair amount of parking. https://maps.app.goo.gl/Tii8J7Yj6uLm1CZMA There is approx 400m of road between Lugg Forest and Slade Valley woods. Where were you thinking of starting the race?
Natalie GrieveNov 13 2023, 3:04pmIMBRC have access to additional car parking at Slade for the club league.
Martin BagnallNov 13 2023, 3:26pmHi David, I run around those woods quite a bit as I live locally. If they are amenable to it there's a fair bit of parking at Slade Valley golf club and it's well positioned if you were thinking of a route along one of both of the woods.

There's also a bit of ground just south of the parking that's marked on your map. Not sure how many cars it would fit but it seems a decent size. I assume it's Coillte that would have a key for the barrier.

The woods would probably work best for a Trail League race, in my opinion, given their elevation and size.

There's a lot of mountain bike trails and the area is very popular with walkers so it's something else to be accounted for.
Rob TobinNov 13 2023, 5:26pmDavid, I'm very fond of Slievethoul's trails and I'd be delighted to support with planning and staging an event there.
Apart from the mountain bikers and walkers it also receives its fair share of equestrian visitors. Parking along the roads beside the two main fire road entrances is limited but as has been pointed out the neighbouring golf course and Lugg Woods might be options. I'm afraid I don't have contacts for parking but I've found the locals who I've interacted with have always been very approachable and helpful.
As hills go it is reasonably well served by public transport with Dublin Bus services stopping along the N81 within a few hundred metres. Maybe not within walking distance but it isn't too distant from the Luas at Saggart either. I'm sure some strategic carpooling would alleviate some of the pressure on parking!
David PowerNov 14 2023, 8:45amThanks all - I'll work on parking options. Mapped out rough routes last year, we could get a nice 6-7km trail race there. Spoke to Liam and a July date might work.
Andy KeelingNov 18 2023, 5:58amNot a new race idea but have thought for a while that the idea of having an "overall" or "mixed bag" style series could be interesting. Our neighbours up north in NIMRA have this approach where runners need to complete a number of short, medium and long races to complete the series. Short being <10, medium being 10-20 and long >20. This wouldn't require any extra races to be organised in the year. It may however boost numbers of some of the less attended events and encourage runners to have a go at some races that may be a little out of their comfort zone.