Irish Mountain
Running Association

World Masters

AuthorDateMessage
Damien McDonnellAug 1 2022, 4:22pmHi all fellow IMRA runners, as you all know the World Masters in Clonmel are just a month away in September 1st to 3rd. At present there is a great interest from Irsh athletes which is brilliant to see. But unfortunately we are short atletes in some age categories W 65, M 70, W 70, M 75, W 75, if anyone is thinking about running or knows of anyone in these age categories, i would ask you to sign up or advise someone you may know to sign up. This is a great opportunity to wear an Irish vest in front of a home crowd, what more could you ask for. This is the biggest event IMRA has taking on and would be a great shame and dissapointed if we could not get full teams for this event especially when it is on home ground this year. If we get names filled in these categories there is a very good possibility that athletes from the north will represent Ireland instead of Great Britton once they see a team being entered. Can i ask anyone at all that is in 2 minds of weather to enter to do so before August 22nd, it will be the best running experiance you will ever get on home ground so i urge to sign up for this alone.
Turlough ConwayAug 1 2022, 7:46pmFolks, this is something we can can bring back to the masters categories in our clubs. Lets fill this up!
Turlough ConwayAug 1 2022, 7:47pmJust to phrase it better: can club members pass this information back to their clubs so masters athletes there can take advantage of an Irish vest and possible World Champs medal?
Mick HanneyAug 2 2022, 6:26pmHi, can IMRA raise this with AAI and get a message sent to all club secretaries?
Robert MalseedAug 2 2022, 6:36pmHow are we looking for the M50 team? I can ask around Mayo and Galway for gaps in other age group teams
Damien McDonnellAug 2 2022, 9:58pmHi Robert, the would be great if you can. At presant there are 40 M50 entered, no harm if anyone still wants to sign up for other age categoeies, people could pull out at last minute due to other commitments or injuries. The more we have entered the stronger the teams will be.
Paula Donnellan WalshAug 3 2022, 1:19pmHi just wondering how people enter? I know an over 65 and one/two more that might consider. Would they need to have done mountain training etc? Is it very difficult. Sorry for all the q/s but would like to have some info before approaching people

Thanks
Mick HanneyAug 3 2022, 1:29pmEntry is on the World Masters Clonmel website: The world masters event is the first day. The open race (open to all ages) is the 2nd day.
https://www.wmmrch2022.ie/
First hill is tough, but walkable if not runnable. After that very runnable.
Laura FlynnAug 3 2022, 1:51pmIt’s great to hear there’s a group of over-65 ladies interested. Mick has given you some good info there. Can I suggest to you also Paula that you look at the results from the Great Irish Trail Run that we had in June. You’ll find it on this site on the events page and you’ll see that the results are divided into the different age groups.
If you click in the F65 tab you’ll see the time, just under an hour, which Magella Diskin did. This is an excellent time (Magella is a former Irish champion in mountain running) , you’ll see 2 ladies competed in the 60-65 category with times of 1 hr 1 min and 1 hr 17.
If you live in the area I’d strongly recommend you go out on the route and see what you think.
It’s technically not difficult but it’s certainly challenging. The hill for the first mile on narrow road is possibly the hardest bit but lot of people will walk/run this.
If you want to give me call I’m happy to discuss with you. If I had some more info on your 5k , 10k, half marathon times and what type of training you’re currently doing I’d be better able to advise you.
I suspect as you’re asking here about the event
that you’d be well able.
If you email me on Laura.flynn@imra.ie I’ll send you my number
David BosonnetAug 3 2022, 7:43pmFolks there's a breakdown of the various age categories and nationalities currently entered for the Masters at:-
https://www.wmmrch2022.ie/one-month-to-go-update-on-runner-categories-and-nationalities/
Noel BarronAug 3 2022, 8:11pmDo you receive an Irish singlet to run in as part of your registration?
Damien McDonnellAug 3 2022, 8:55pmNote to Irish Entrants
As there are no qualifying regulations, the A.A.I. will not be in a position to provide Irish gear to all the competitors for this event.

You can purchase Irish gear at https://www.jfsports.ie/product-category/club-shop/irish-masters-athletics-association/
Damien McDonnellAug 15 2022, 8:58pmHi all as part of the World Masters committee i would like to thank everyone who has sighned up to date. With only a week left till entries close on August 22nd,. there is still time for those who are still thinking about sighning up. I would ask you to do so before this date to gaurantee entry in to this event. We are still short on athletes in these categories to make up teams, if any runners are in these categories or know of anyone can you please sign up or get on to people you may know that are eligible. The categories and numbers that are short are.
W 65 - 1, W 75 - 2, M 70 - 2, M 75 - 1. As you all know this is on in Clonmel and Ireland for the first time in the 40 year history of IMRA. The World Championships are an amazing experience to be a part of and honour to host. I ask that we do our best to have full teams on the day, please if you know of anyone please ask them to sign up specifically in the categories mentioned.
Turlough ConwayAug 16 2022, 1:28pmFrom the other Masters thread:
Organizing a a zoom chat for Masters to discuss course/tactics early next week. Let me know if interested by reply here or em ail turloughconway at gm ail
Damien McDonnellAug 21 2022, 8:52pmWith the world masters with less than 2weeks away. There is still time to register up till 12am tomorrow night Monday the 22nd. With all teams almost full we would still ask those interested to sign up and experiance a race of a life on home ground. With that said we desperately need a female 75 to help make up a team with Irelands sole runner in this age category Caitlin Bent. It will be a horrible shame if we do not get someone to run with Caitlin to help secure a team medal on the day. This will be a great a weekend of racing with plenty of excitement all round Clonmel and throghout the course on the day and festivites afterwards. L
justin foleyAug 22 2022, 8:00amhi is a IMRA race licence required for the worl champs its possibly the only race im doing this year ? thanks
Turlough ConwayAug 22 2022, 10:22amJustin

It seems to be a straight fee for both Championship (entry closes this evening) and the Open race.
https://www.sportsreg.ie/e/world-masters-mountain-running-championship-7885
Turlough ConwayAug 22 2022, 10:23amIe IMRA reg fee not required.
Phil behanAug 22 2022, 10:48amHi Turlough, I'll mention this to Raheny Shamrocks.
Turlough ConwayAug 22 2022, 12:05pmThanks Phil

Note they are short a F75 for that category so if there is someone in Raheny in that CAT they are looking at a guaranteed Team World Champ medal (and likely individual).
M35s relatively thin if any of those fast lads would like to give it a blast.
Reg closing this evening.
Turlough ConwayAug 22 2022, 12:49pmUpping this again folks:

(unofficial) Masters zoom talk tomorrow 8pm for Irish athletes ahead of World Champs including route discussion, pacing tips, warmup etc. Greeat to get as many attending and chipping in as possible.

(Send an email to turloughconway at gmail and ill add you to the zoom).

Good few attending so far.
Aine CullenAug 22 2022, 12:54pmI've posted on the Masters Athletics Facebook page about looking for a Female O75. A lot on that page travel to the Cross Country and T&F European & Worlds Masters so you might get lucky
Damien McDonnellAug 22 2022, 2:24pmThanks Aine, hopefully someone will sign up with definitely 1 if not 2 medals to be won.
Damien McDonnellAug 22 2022, 4:30pmJust to update on W 75, there is one more signing up as i type which is great, what would be brilliant is if a 3rd will sign to make a team of 3 and quarantee gold team medals for Ireland.
Damien McDonnellAug 22 2022, 4:47pmWith just over 7hrs to registration closes for these championships, there is still time for those to enter. This will be a most memorable weekend of hill racing IMRA and the local organising committe are organising. For Friday night all the way through to Sunday. This is the first time thrse championships are been held in Ireland and hopefully not the last time, so to be involed in parttaking in a bit of history and within the 40th anniversary of IMRA this is a chance not to be missed on in the making og IMRA history. I encourage anyone still on the sideline still thinking about it to enter before 12 tonight.
James KennyAug 22 2022, 8:20pmJust looking for info on the short course for O 60's men.What time on the Saturday is the short course run? What age groups run the short course? Have not ran IMRA races for a number of years though currently training for Dublin marathon. Trying to decide if I should enter tonight? Are there big numbers entered already for Over 60 Men?
Mick HanneyAug 22 2022, 8:48pmThis was the Starting Times for the Great Irish Trail race earlier in the year, which is an indicator of the Masters event. I'm assuming that the age groups that run before the mentioned break, run the short course (8.4km). Thats c. 2k shorter than the long. Go for it !!

Wave Start Plan
Age Category Wave Start Time
F55, F60, F65, F70, F75 1 11.00am
M55, M60, M65, M70, M75, M80 2 11.15am

There will be a 15min break here to give wave 1 and 2 time to clear the course.

F45 F50 3 11.45am
M45, M50 4 12.00pm
F, F35, F40 5 12.15pm
M, M35, M40, 6 12.30 pm
Damien McDonnellAug 22 2022, 9:02pmHi James the is Distance 8.4km, Ascent 509m, Descent 217m, thevrace starts at 10 on the day begining with F 75 then M 75 and so on with 15min intervals between each group, your category should going of at 12. A detail list of times will sent out before once registered, as Mick said go for it and enjoy the experiance and atmosphere of a great championship race on the day.
Michael CornynAug 23 2022, 9:43amIs there 2 races on Saturday a short course and long course?
Mick HanneyAug 23 2022, 10:35amThe Masters race on Saturday has 2 distances. Certain older age categories run the shorter course which is c. 8.5k, with the remaining age categories (the young ones!) doing the longer c. 10.5 race.

Not sure if there are 2 courses for the open race (on Sun) as I believe everyone starts at the same time in that race.
Mick HanneyAug 23 2022, 10:37amCongratulations to all concerned on the nearly 800 registrations for the World Masters races. Thats a great entry and has the makings of a great event.
Mike JordanAug 23 2022, 10:53amhttps://www.wmmrch2022.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/wmmrch-Event-Schedule.pdf

Event Schedule at above link has info on start times and courses.
Mags GreenanAug 25 2022, 7:48pmWe are doing a recce tomorrow am fri at 12 am from
hillside with Sheila Whelan from
clonmel
Peter O'FarrellAug 26 2022, 4:26pmI have an older version Ireland ASICS tracksuit in Large Men for anyone who might like it to be fully attired at the pasta party.

It's quite loose fitting so will fit or swim on most people.
liam lynchAug 26 2022, 8:48pmDear Peter,
Would love the loan of it.
Can we we communicate on the Friday PM?
Peter O'FarrellAug 26 2022, 9:42pmYou are welcome to it Liam. My number is ohh ate six 3 ate 4 8 ohh 84 cheers
David BosonnetAug 29 2022, 12:15pmEvent note and schedule available at https://www.wmmrch2022.ie/event-schedule/

As this a WMRA/WMA event, YOU MUST BRING AN OFFICIAL PHOTO IDENTIFICATION TO REGISTER WITH NAME, DATE OF BIRTH AND NATIONALITY e.g. passport or formal photo I.D.

You will also be required to sign the race entry form and can only be done by the participant.
Liam CotterAug 31 2022, 1:02pmWill an Irish drivers licence be ok for I.D., thanks.
Henny BrandsmaSep 2 2022, 10:56amGood luck to all the Irish participants in tomorrow's world masters, hope there will be a couple of medals to celebrate, but foremost enjoy the race. Pity I can't be there tomorrow to cheer you all on, but unfortunately family commitments keep me at home for this great event.
Henny Brandsma.
Mick HanneySep 2 2022, 11:56amBest of luck to all taking part.
Graham K. BusheSep 2 2022, 12:07pmYes, Best of luck to all the runners.
and those of us who may need to walk bits of it too :)
Liam CotterSep 2 2022, 2:03pmI checked with the organisers & an Irish Drivers Licence is fine for ID purposes.
Damien McDonnellSep 20 2022, 6:52pmHi all, just giving a quick on the World Masters in Clonmel, i know its a bit overdue i apologise for this. What can i say, what a weekend of racing and celebrations from the first night of registration on Thursday right through to the open race on Sunday. The atmosphere was nothing but electric from the first night right through to the.. opening parade and ceremony on Friday and the main day of racing on Saturday right through to the presentations that evening with great entrrtainment provided by local ceoltais group of music and dancing, with some celebrations going well on to the early hours of Sunday morning by some round the town of Clonmel rumourd had it.

Getting down to the racing it was such an honour to host these Championships here this year, with 800 athletes from nearly 30 Countries, with some represented with the biggest numbers ever at these chapionships. Only naturally the country would top all others with over 500 athletes signed which was a delight to see on every start line a sea of green jerseys lining up getting ready for the starters orders. Some other countries with record numbers appering included America, Japan, Romania and Grest Britain

As you all now there were every 5 year increments from 35 to 79 male and female, starting from 75 and working back to 35. Since there was so many Irish envoled i will be only going through top 10 finishers and team placings here with first 3 runners home counting on the team;

Women 75 Maggie Dunne. 4th
Women 70. Ger Power. 7th
Team. 2nd. Hazel Stapleton. 11th
Lynne Durham. 12th
Women 65. Pauline Moran. 1st
Majella Diskin. 2nd
Carmel. McDonnell. 6th
Mary Jennings. 7th
Mary Hinchy. 10th
Team.1st
Women 60 Una Winifred Gavin. 8th
Mags Grennan. 10th
Team. 2nd Esme Alexander. 12th
Women 55. Aine McNeil. 8th
Orla Crosbie. 10th
Team 2nd. Ann Hodgins. 12th
Women 50. Ide kellegher. 5th
Shileen O'Kane. 6th
Michelle Nolan. 7th
Diane Behan. 9th
Mary Steed. 10th
Team 1st
Women 45. Becky Quinn. 1st
Zoe Quinn. 2nd
Eliza Whdeeler. 3rd
Michelle Lannon. 5th
Sharon Woods. 6th
Patricia McLoughlan. 9th
Annmarie Kenny. 10th
Team. 1st
Women. 40. Lorainne Bolster. 4th
Michelle Kenny. 5th
Irene Eighan. 8th
Mary Louise Ryan. 10th
Team. 1st
Women 35. Kate Purcell. 1st
Laura McDonnell. 2nd
Kealey Tidewell. 3rd
Ester Dickson. 8th
Team. 1st

Men 75. John McMullin. 6th
Richard Mullins. 8th
Patsy McGreaner. 10th
Team 3rd
Men 70.
Team 3rd Martin Kerr. 11th
Sean O`Neill. 16th
Tom Quinn. 19th
Men 65. Martain McDonald. 1st
Joe Gough. 4th
Eugene Doherty. 7th
Team. 1st
Men 60. Willie O`Donoghue. 6th
Sean Foley. 7th
Conor Nolan. 9th
Team 2nd
Men 55. Tom Blackburn. 3rd
Stephen Hoey. 2nd
Team 2nd. Natt Glenn. 12th
Men 50. David Barry. 7th
Donal Leahy. 10th
Team. 2nd. Turlough Conway 11th
Men 45. Dessie Flanagan. 6th
Barry Minock. 8th
Team. 2nd. Gerard Gavin. 13th
Men 40. John Kinsella. 2nd
Ian Conroy. 4th
John meade 6th
Micheal McMahon. 7th
Team 1st
Men 35. Sean Hehir. 2nd
Phillip Goss. 4th
Paul Stevenson. 5th
David Power. 6th
Joe Warne. 7th
Tom Lupton. 10th
Team 1st

Well done to all who competed as you can see there was some excellant performances all round not just with what i have typed above but from everyone who competed to make this race such a success which would not have been without you the athletes. It was a great pleasure to have almost all teams full and see them on the podium in the hall, that's why it is so important to have teams in all age groups, a single athlete may or may not get placed but if there is a team everyone has a chance to get placed who makes the scoring places for the team and bring home at least 3 medals of some colour, we had 8 firsts, 7 seconds and 2 thirds in team placings. This proves that we can mix it with the best in the World at these Championships and get medals both individually and team.

I would also like to thank everyone who helped to get these Championships in Ireland, organise them and have everthing in place from the start. Mainly Tom and Trish, Mooreabbey. Milers and LOC who left nothing unturned to chance and all the volunteers who turned up on the day who travelled from far and near. A special thanks has to go to Hillview Sports complex for accommodating us over the weekend and all the help they gave us through out, also to the residents and land owners on the course for the use of the roads and access to there lands for the duration of the Chsmpionships. The committee would also like to thank the sponsors of this event that help make it possible