Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Race

AuthorDateMessage
Samuel FoxJul 21 2021, 11:35amGood morning. Has there been any discussion on the entry criteria for the race this year - will it be the same as previously, a 50k ultra or more? I am just trying to plan ahead to make sure I can cover any qualification criteria - there are slim pickings for longer races!
Jeff FitzsimonsJul 22 2021, 9:14amHi Samuel, yes, we are retaining the 50k ultra minimum criteria for this year. BUT given the year that 2020 was and 2021 has been to date we will accept a finish in a running race of 50km or more in any of 2019, 2020 or 2021 as a qualifying race.

I hope that's clear.
Samuel FoxJul 22 2021, 9:48amThat's great, very helpful thanks!
John McCannJul 22 2021, 1:13pmHi Robbie and Jeff
Are there plans to reapply for UTMB qualification points this year? Long story short, I am trying to move my registration for UTMB to 2022 but I will need additional qualification points in order to do so. The Wicklow Way Race used to have 5 points available so hoping to target this race to secure the necessary points.
Phil behanJul 22 2021, 2:49pmI take it those who registered for 2020 will still be valid for entry in 2021 ? I cant remember if I requested a refund or just kept it rolling on to 2021.Either way I'm in, been waiting for this since 2019 :)
John Murphy74Jul 22 2021, 3:09pmI was just thinking the same thing Phil, if I remember correctly it was a choice?
Pól Ó MurchúJul 23 2021, 12:02amHi John (McC),
That would be the plan alright. I was only discussing this with Robbie the other day and trying to pull together GPX for the routes that we will be submitting for approval. Hope to get boxed off in the coming weeks all going well.
@ Phil & John there should be a mail going out I. The coming days about deferred entries. Been working on updating the list with those that had refunds and moving the rest to the relevant races. The mail will offer those that can’t make it a final chance to get a refund and those that want to keep their entry will automatically be registered.
Paolo GirolamiJul 27 2021, 12:26pmDoes anybody know if the 2021 race will start in Clonegal, as planned last year, or in Marley?
Robert WarmanJul 27 2021, 2:00pmWill there be water available at the CPs or do we need to be 100% self-sufficient?
Dave EvansAug 12 2021, 8:04pmHi guys just enquiring as to what the format is hoped to be for this year? Will it need to be totally self supporting etc?
Jeff FitzsimonsAug 12 2021, 8:19pmHi all, apologies for slow reply. I am taking on RD duties again this year with Robbie. Race is most likely a Clonegal start at 21:00 as opposed to the previous 24:00. I am speaking to DLR Council tomorrow to confirm.
Yvonne WalshAug 15 2021, 2:14pmHi when does entry open? Thank you
Eoin KellyAug 17 2021, 9:35pmThinking of giving this a go this year. Just completed the tucker trail and really enjoyed it. Not sure that I had another 50 km in the legs at the end though. So........... Anyone got any compelling words of advice either way?

Do it because after 80 km the next 50 are easy sort of thing!
Brian KitsonAug 17 2021, 10:50pmShur lookit, there’s always a bit of risk when stepping up a level but the longer you go the more the game becomes about dealing with small problems before they become big ones. Keep actively managing your effort level, nutrition, kit and internal dialogue and there’s no reason you can’t keep tipping away til the end. If it doesn’t work out for you this time you’ll have learned something of value for your next crack at it.
John Murphy74Aug 17 2021, 10:59pmEoin, I'm making the step up too and I haven't had the tucker trail experience. If it all gets too much we can stop for a pint somewhere!
Phil behanAug 18 2021, 12:02amEoin, was with running with yourself and Karl for most of the Tucker Trail. I’ll be doing this too in Oct and happy to team up again if you want ? P
Avril ChallonerAug 18 2021, 1:57pmEoin I had only done a 80km before I did the WWR a few years ago and survived the extra 50km. Focus on getting the first 80km done, then you'll soon get the excitement of hitting the 100km mark just and once that wears off you will be so close to the end it would be a pity to not finish!

Get an overnight recce in if you can (i.e. start Friday night and run to Sat morning) just to test the body out. I'm sure you'd find company if you posted here. It lets you test out the feeling of running all night and how it impacts nutrition etc.
John J BarryAug 18 2021, 5:23pmEoin,
It's a great event and worth trying. Doing the 80k is a great stepping stone. The night time recce was recommended. But more importantly if you can to recce the whole route in daylight (say over two days which is also brilliant training for the event). One doesn't really want to be second guessing themselves on the route since it's not the best marked route. Nav errors by athletics during the race are unfortunately common.

There is usually a recce using car drops / bus. Keep your eye on the forums.
Jeff FitzsimonsAug 23 2021, 11:13amHi all,

update on the race as follows.

1. Direction of South to North with start at 21:00 in Clonegal on Oct 15th and final cut off in Marlay Park at 18:00 on Oct 16th. I'm just awaiting final confirmation from DLR Parks in respect of Marlay but should remain as stated.

2. Race entry will open in the next few weeks, once final confirmation of point 1 above is received.

3. Normal process applies for pre-approval to enter, send an email to wicklowwayrace@gmail.com with the following details

A. Your name
B. A link to qualifying race result, you must have completed a 50km or greater running race in 2019, 2020 or 2021. Stretching this qualifying criteria out to 2019 to account for the year that 2020 was, so if you're depending on a 2019 race to qualify please be honest with yourself in assessing your readiness for 127km now.
Eoin KellyAug 23 2021, 2:16pmThanks for all the tips guys. I've sent the email with my qualifying race so step 1 is done. Just have to convince myself that it is a good idea and then secure the relevant permission slips from home.

Pretty sure I won't get an overnight run done in advance, i don't have anyone crazy enough to do that with me and no way my wife will allow me off for an overnight run by myself. She wouldn't sleep and then we would both be tired and grumpy the next day!

I'll recce the bits of the route that i'm not familiar with over the next few weeks though, and maybe try for a day doing half of it, from glenmalure back to marlay.

Hopefully be on the startline, and if I am I would be delighted for some company Phil.
Paul BurchmoreAug 23 2021, 2:54pmI recce'd the first 25km of the route yesterday, as I am unfamiliar with that section, then walked/ran back to the car at Clonegal so a nice 50k training outing. Was glad I did this as there were a few quite tight climbs that I would not have expected so early on. So much for my "easy" pacing strategy!
If anyone is looking to run the section around Raheenakilt next weekend, I saw signs saying it was closed due to a local car rally or some such carry on.
Took longer to drive to/from home in Fermanagh than actually spent running so I won't get down to that end of the route again before the big day but will be at the Maurice Mullins in a couple of weeks.
I think the suggested night time runs are important, and will be doing a few more of those in the coming weeks.
Good luck with the training!
Mick HanneyAug 23 2021, 3:39pmFair play Paul. I would suggest that a recce of that part of the route is essential if you are not familiar with it. There are junctions were it is possible to go astray as the signage might be not totally clear, or covered over by vegetation.

I was helping out last time out at Ironbridge and I recall a no. of runners missed the cut-off time there as they had gone astray between Shillelagh and Tinahely, so its easily done, if you are not somewhat familiar with the trails. Add to that the darkness element....
Alain DouglasAug 23 2021, 4:01pmHi Paul,
I'm going to be coming from Belfast to do the Wicklow way so maybe we can meet up do a few night time long runs in the next few weeks in Northern Ireland?
Roelie SmitAug 23 2021, 4:02pm@ Eoin Kelly - I'd be crazy enough to join you for a night recce of any part of the course. Not doing the WWR myself, but if you're looking for a recce buddy let me know (for night or day recces). So long as you don't have any of Viviene's bananas and run away from me again.
Roelie SmitAug 23 2021, 4:04pm*Vivian*
Avril ChallonerAug 23 2021, 4:15pmEoin if need company I can join you provided there is a date that works. I even had a tracker (from my dog) that would give your wife a live location so she knows you are still moving. I'm sure a few more would also be interested. Send me an email if you want to arrange avrilchalloner@gmail.com
Phil behanAug 23 2021, 4:31pmHi all, if any night recce's are taking place please let me know. I'd be familiar with most of the route but could do with a bit of a refresher, also based on Mick's post below. Thanks.
Paul BurchmoreAug 23 2021, 4:38pmYou are spot on Mick, once you hit the first section of trail at around 4km there are 2 or 3 turns with no signs where you could easily take the wrong option - I did at least once :)

Thanks Alain - i'm sure we could find a suitable bit of forestry somewhere handy for some night runs. Whatsapp me on 07900 263960 to see if we can find some times.
Eoin KellyAug 23 2021, 7:01pmAwesome guys, I'll shout here if and when i have the requisite forms completed in triplicate and stamped by the management ;-)

I'd say a recce from clonegal heading north might be a good idea. I'm around this weekend and away after that for a couple of weekends. Could look at doing a good stretch if we had two cars, one left in clonegal and run to another a few km north?

Once school starts back i'm good for Fridays too for long runs.

I'll keep this updated.
Samuel FoxAug 23 2021, 7:55pmThanks for the update. Still undecided if I will go for this October, or perhaps wait for a summer race, in the case that this race may rescheduled in 2022 to its usual calendar spot of June?

Just reading through the comments RE pre race recce. Probably opening up a can of worms here, and apologies for the endless posts no doubt previously - but this is GPS allowed, meaning I can use the gpx file I have if in doubt on unmarked junctions? Am I correct?
Seán HigginsAug 24 2021, 10:34amI’m also keen to get a night run in over the coming week. I certainly need to recce Clonegal to Tinahely and ideally to Glenamlure.
rathsean@gmail.com
Anne LyonsAug 27 2021, 11:37pmHi I can also go to Half way mark if need for water etc
Mick HanneyAug 28 2021, 8:03amHi Anne, We are ok in terms of volunteers, we will have 2 at Crone. Thanks for offering.
Thomas DonohoeAug 30 2021, 10:19amgreat race, thanks to all the volunteers
Avril ChallonerAug 30 2021, 11:28amHi, Seán Higgins and I are planning a recce of the southern end of the route on the night of Sept 16th (Thurs night). Aim is to get a good chunk from Clonegal up to Glenmalure done, potentially cutting out the first few km of road.

Anyone who would like to join us is very much welcome to and we can organise the details via email (avrilchalloner@gmail.com).
Kazimierz PawelczakSep 1 2021, 8:04pmquestion to the organizers. Is WWR a qualifying race for UTMB? I don't see this run on the UTMB website as a qualifying ...
Robbie WilliamsSep 1 2021, 8:44pmYes it’s awaiting approval for 4 points
Kazimierz PawelczakSep 1 2021, 9:36pmWWR didn't have 5 pk last time? something has changed?
Eoin KellySep 2 2021, 5:33pmGetting closer to committing to this race (and possibly getting committed too if my wife has any say in it!).

Doing the night recce with the hardy souls above so that should give a good idea of the fun involved. It'll be Circle K breakfast rolls for the kids school lunches on the friday morning after the recce i would imagine ;-)

As always, thanks all for the advice and support.
alan murphySep 4 2021, 11:21pmjust wondering will be 4 utmb points this year and not 5 like before cheers
Richard NunanSep 5 2021, 8:11amApproved for 5 points
Ricki WynneSep 7 2021, 3:28pmIs there a gpx file for the Wicklow way race , thanks
Clare KeeleySep 7 2021, 5:32pmHi Ricki, there have been a few changes to the route recently and a detour that has been there about a year that looks like it could be reverting back to original route soon so anything you might get has the possibility of being inaccurate. Its way marked, head up and eyes open and you will be grand. Well done in Kerry! Clare
Gerard KeoghSep 8 2021, 11:17amRecently send my pre race info, how many participants will it be capped at
Robert JankowskiSep 9 2021, 8:54amHi, can we get some more race info anytime soon? 5 weeks left to the race, kit requirements, check points locations, what crew stops are allowed, other important info, registration location and time? Thanks
Gordon PlaceSep 9 2021, 9:32amHi Robert, plenty of info on the previous years pages on kit and check points, pacers etc, 2018 was last from Clonegal. Likely to be much the same even if reg info has to be updated
Jeff FitzsimonsSep 11 2021, 11:22amRD UPDATE

Hi all, I will be reviewing qualifying races submitted and looking at deferred entries over the weekend. Expect to see replies to your emails and updates on this thread to address race details in the next few days.

Jeff
Jeff FitzsimonsSep 14 2021, 11:01pmRD UPDATE

Emails have gone out this evening to those who submitted emails to get pre-approval of their entry in the race. If you have sent these details previously and did not get an email from wicklowwayrace@gmail.com please send a new mail to that address.

Thanks, Jeff