Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Way Relay

AuthorDateMessage
Rene BorgJan 18 2019, 9:48amPlease note the part of the Wicklow Way covered by leg 7 has been permanently rerouted. This impacts the section that previously ran on the busy R747 outside Tinahely. A new section now removes this road section and goes through private land which has been opened up for this purpose.

I have not had time to recce the new section yet but it's likely this will shorten leg 7. Historical records can thus be sealed into the chamber of history.

For those recceing over coming months keep an eye out for this change as the route will obviously differ from what you have been used to once you reached the area close to the R747.
Lillian DeeganJan 18 2019, 10:05amFair play Rène,
The new section allows for 170 odd lovely climbing steps with 3 platforms and a section of hard core surface to boot. Pretty and all as it is, it’s gonna be a killer on tired legs heading for The Cow :)
Paul JoyceJan 18 2019, 11:17amMight this be an opportune time to move the 7/8 handover point back to its historic river crossing? Lovely as they might be, 170 steps at the end of a half-marathon leg 7 surely class as cruel and unusual punishment. Added onto the start of leg 8 however they might help put some elevation into this largely flat final leg.
Jim FitzharrisJan 18 2019, 2:40pmNice idea Paul but if memory serves me correctly, that handover point was specifically moved because there were serious issues with supporters' cars parked on the bridge and in the surrounding lanes. I am sure Joe Lalor could confirm or otherwise.

Cheers,

Jim.
Paul JoyceJan 18 2019, 3:19pmYou're right Jim, and in it's favour the new changeover makes it handy to park and walk up from Crossbridge.

I jogged the new steps at lunchtime; they ascend 30m over a 100m distance. They'll add a nice sting in the tail for those finishing leg 7!
Mick HanneyJan 25 2019, 2:40pmPhotos added to the activity below
https://www.strava.com/activities/2102179434

Better than the road but running down is difficult as steps are so tightly placed. Still a chunk of Cuckoo lane to run when you ascend steps.
Robert AsherMar 26 2019, 2:43pmWas wondering if the application date/form for 2019 will be updated soon? The details on the race page are still showing the 2018 info (e.g. its saying to apply on 'Thursday 5th April' - should I assume it's actually Thursday 4th this year?) - have a team all ready to sign up :)
Jason KehoeMar 31 2019, 9:35amOFFICAL UPDATE:
-------------------------
Opening date for WWR entries is Friday 12th April 2019. Just waiting on access to update the event details page. Same registration process as last year but we have new conditions of entry which will be explained on the event page, highlight change is that each team now needs to provide a parking Marshall at an organiser pre designated handover point. We are also hoping to have a relay baton in the form of a GPS tracker for each team which will need to be carried and handed over. Limit of 30 teams as usual which will be reviewed if limit is reached.
Brendan LawlorMar 31 2019, 6:34pmHi

Myself and Paul Duffy (both Roundwood based) are available to join a WWR team if anyone needs a slow vet and a quick M40. Any leg considered but preference is legs 1-5. Email blawlor7 (at) gmail dot com
Diarmuid O'ColmainApr 1 2019, 12:16pmVery modest post from you Brendan! I'm looking for a team to grace with my presence also and yes, I am slow for sure, this year at least.

High speed comeback deferred to next year! Probably best to programme me to run one of legs 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8.

docolmain (at) gmail.com
Jason KehoeApr 11 2019, 9:44pmCaptains, don't forget about the entry date for this. Tomorrow Friday 12th at 4:00pm on the dot. Usually fills out in 12-30 mins then you go on a waiting list.
Jason KehoeApr 12 2019, 10:57pmOFFICIAL UPDATE:
------------------------
Cap of 30 teams just about reached in 4 minutes! Team entries who had valid entries are listed below, still waiting on two teams to clarify their entry details. We will make decision an adding an extra five places over the weekend.

Team Name - Captain
Glendalough A/C - Rene Borg
Le Chéile AC - Miriam Maher
Ticknock Trailers - Caoimhín MacMaoláin
Trail Runners - Warren Swords
Who Likes Short Shorts! - Emmet Wardell
Racing 795 - Jarlath Duffy
Agony of Defeet - Lisa Shine
Ronan Rafferty - Pearse Coyle
Bravehearts - John Rowe
TTRacers - Terry McConnon
Pearse Street Physio - Conor McElroy
Tinahely Tri Club - Alan Byrne
UCDO - Mike Long
The Tri Hards - Donal Morrissey
Clane AC - Oisin O’Briain
Kilcoole AC - Andrew Hanney
Sportsworld - Michael Cunningham
Rathfarnham AC - David Power
Brothers Pearce AC - Mark Pearce
Run The Line - Stuart Scott
The SIG-nificant Others - James Ryan
Team Mare - Maoliosa McHugh
The Fell’s Angels - Conor O’Farrell
Rush Running - Andreas Kusch
Blackrock AC - Rob Asher
Hurt Squad - Robert Costello
IADT - Joachim Pietsch
Grassroots - Jarlath Hynes
Wicklow Rovers - Peter Gorman

Mark PearceApr 16 2019, 10:43amDoes each member of the team need to pay the annual IMRA membership or is this included in the 140eur entry fee? I am not able to purchase the WW entry from the shop without having this annual membership, hence the question.
Mark PearceApr 16 2019, 10:43amDoes each member of the team need to pay the annual IMRA membership or is this included in the 140eur entry fee? I am not able to purchase the WW entry from the shop without having this annual membership, hence the question.
Mark PearceApr 16 2019, 10:44amDoes each member of the team need to pay the annual IMRA membership or is this included in the 140eur entry fee? I am not able to purchase the WW entry from the shop without having this annual membership, hence the question.
Mark PearceApr 16 2019, 10:44amDoes each member of the team need to pay the annual IMRA membership or is this included in the 140eur entry fee? I am not able to purchase the WW entry from the shop without having this annual membership, hence the question.
Mark PearceApr 16 2019, 10:45amDoes each member of the team need to pay the annual IMRA membership or is this included in the 140eur entry fee? I am not able to purchase the WW entry from the shop without having this annual membership, hence the question.
Mick HanneyApr 16 2019, 7:43pm@Jason - I added myself as volunteer. Happy to either do timekeeper at Ironbridge or Shillelagh. Whatever works for you.
Jason KehoeApr 16 2019, 10:48pm@Mark

Answer is in the entry form rules:

#12. All runners must have a free MyIMRA account on www.imra.ie. The €17.50 Entry Fee
includes once-off IMRA membership for this race only and includes insurance.

However I think your issue is that the limit of 30 entries has been reached on the website. We will be expanding this to between 32-35 teams again this year.

All captains should be familiar with the NEW 2019 rules so they are not caught out in their preparations or indeed on race day regarding car use and parking rules, time penalties, disqualification and competitiveness.

@ Mick - Thanks Mick, our new volunteer coordinator Bill Halliden will be in contact in the next few days.

Thanks,
Jason
David PowerApr 17 2019, 6:37pmJason, it's great that IMRA membership is included as part of fee for team members, but just some feedback for Captain - the CART automatically added 2019 annual membership for me to the price and I assumed I had to have that to proceed. Not an issue, as I'll use the membership to enter other races. David
Mick HanneyApr 17 2019, 9:29pmSuggest its a good idea to clarify in advance what the rule is in terms of a runner going off the WW, so there is no ambiguity should it happen again. If trackers are worn (as a virtual baton) they will be less debate but a clear cut rule should be established. Just saying.
Jason KehoeApr 17 2019, 10:43pm@David - sounds like a Web Admin issue. I'll raise it thanks!

@ Mick - New Rule #7 should cover this: If a runner does not complete their stage route “in its entirety”, they will be deemed ‘non-competitive’.

As always RD has final discretion as there is nearly always an exceptional circumstance to the rule and spirit of the race. But this should tighten things up regarding 'short cuts' and indeed 'long cuts'! When they make a mistake their best bet is to double back to where they think they left the course. Yes it may take significant time but better than the penalty. Recces will be even more important now.

Some advice while on Recces: If someone is showing or accompanying a runner along a stage of the race, hang back slightly behind them when coming to turns and junctions so they have to think and make the decision themselves. Let them make the mistakes and learn the hard way, it will stand to them come race day.

Thanks,
Jason
Mick HanneyApr 18 2019, 8:23amThanks Jason. I was unaware of the documented rule until I looked up the google docs entry form. Might be no harm to have a link to the event rules in the event details as teams might not have seen that (aside from their captain filling in the form).

Recces are always important :-)

There is a question on the gpx link for leg 6 as to whether there is a detour or not. Answer is, there is NO detour - its back to its original longest form.
Andrew HanneyApr 18 2019, 1:35pmLeg 5: I haven’t been up there since last year, is there still a detour does anyone know?
Mick HanneyApr 18 2019, 3:25pmThe leg 5 detour from last year is long gone.
Jason KehoeApr 20 2019, 12:56amOFFICIAL UPDATE:
-----------------------------
Please find 2019 team numbers below. Runners should shout the team number clearly and then (when they get their breath back!) confirm their team name to the handover marshall.

Team #: Team Name Captain
1 TTRacers Terry McConnon
2 Rathfarnham AC David Power
3 Mountain Swifts Vivian O’Gorman
4 Ticknock Trailers Caoimhín MacMaoláin
5 Hurt Squad Robert Costello
6 Sportsworld Michael Cunningham
7 Glendalough A/C Rene Borg
8 UCDO Mike Long
9 Brothers Pearce AC Mark Pearce
10 Tinahely Tri Club Alan Byrne
11 Kilcoole AC Andrew Hanney
12 Le Chéile AC Miriam Maher
13 Grassroots Jarlath Hynes
14 The SIG-nificant Others James Ryan
15 Bravehearts John Rowe
16 Rush Running Andreas Kusch
17 Agony of Defeet Lisa Shine
18 Clane AC Oisin O’Briain
19 IADT Joachim Pietsch
20 Wicklow Rovers Peter Gorman
21 Shin Pain Shane Walsh
22 Trail Runners Warren Swords
23 Who Likes Short Shorts! Emmet Wardell
24 Racing 795 Jarlath Duffy
25 Ronan Rafferty Pearse Coyle
26 Pearse Street Physio Conor McElroy
27 The Tri Hards Donal Morrissey
28 Team Mare Maoliosa McHugh
29 The Sigs and Sags Brendan Scullion
30 Run The Line Stuart Scott
31 The Fell’s Angels Conor O’Farrell
32 Blackrock AC Rob Asher

-----------------------------
Stuart ScottApr 20 2019, 9:50amThanks Jason. Is that the finishing order too? :-)
Stuart ScottApr 20 2019, 10:00amWell done with the trackers, I think they'll be a great addition! I don't want to open a can of worms but I will anyway...! Will the link be public and if so, what's the official rule on whether phone calls are allowed? Phone reception in lower Wicklow will hopefully police that a little bit but an official rule is probably no harm. Thanks!
Alan AylingApr 20 2019, 12:43pmAs a "marked route", navigational aids such as GPS would be allowed; phone calls aren't really any different, are they?
As long as no one out recceing builds any cairns as nav aids there should be nothing to worry about ;-)
Jason KehoeApr 20 2019, 3:22pm@ Mick - thanks for that input. Updated the description and added rules to the event page.

@ Stuart - for any teams that are competing with the same name this year as last, that was the rough descending order of finish places and new teams have been slotted in randomly. There are also some regular top teams not there this year e.g. Crusaders A/C, Boards. If you are a regular of the race it's kind of interesting to know what teams you should have in your sights.
RE: Phones. I think I'm in favour with Alan's view. It's not a navigational challenge but a fully marked course. Getting a phone call is slower than a pre-programmed GPS watch telling you that you have left the course. The less rules the better in my book. We have a whole lot of new ones this year to try and improve the race. We can take feedback afterwards and fine tune for next year.

Thanks,
Jason
Caoimhin MacMaolainApr 22 2019, 9:21pmQuick question please on team composition - to qualify as an O40 runner, must the runner be IMRA O40 (i.e. turning 40 by end 2019) or already over 40 years of age on race day? Thanks!
Diarmuid O'ColmainApr 22 2019, 10:25pmHi Rene
noted that the description of some legs cannot be depended on so how should we know the approved route on these legs? For instance in Leg 4 coming down off Paddock Hill through the forestry towards the road, there are several alternative possibilities. Similarly from the road to the Visitor Centre in Glendalough there are some alternatives. I think that the WW markers may solve this (i.e. maybe you are guaranteed to be on the approved route if following the WW markers) but I'm not sure if that is correct or not. Comments?
Diarmuid O'ColmainApr 22 2019, 11:17pmJust to further explain what I mean, the old and more recent versions of the EastWest Lugnaquilla/Glendo maps show slightly different routes through the forestry linking Paddock Hill with the Glenmacnass road. In fairness the differences are minot to the point of being considered to be pedantic, and I am pretty certain the recent route is the one reflected in the WW markers on the ground. However the differences are probably more significant on other legs of the Relay.
Jeff SwordsApr 23 2019, 9:52amIsn't the simple rule that you follow the signed WW on the day? So recces should clear up any issues.

Re leg 4, coming off Paddock Hill a couple of years ago the signed Wicklow Way started to take the new section along the zig zags through the forest before coming out onto Military Road.

There have been runners who just continued straight off the hill, skipping the forest and therefore a shorter route.
Rene BorgApr 23 2019, 12:18pmDiarmuid - Jeff has it right - whatever the markers show on the day is what runners must follow and any deviation from that requires the runner to run back to the last known marker.

The descriptions are old and will no longer be updated (at least not by me) so should probably be taken down or made more general.

There are very substantial changes coming to the Wicklow Way over the coming years - including redirecting leg 5 permanently up towards the Spink. So it's better not to have a big file that needs updating as these changes are made but instead to simply ask runners to follow whatever signposts are there on the day. And yes recces should clear that up unless you are unlucky that a diversion is put in place in the weeks between your recce and the race!
Stuart ScottApr 23 2019, 12:58pmHi Jason,

That sounds like the right call. It would be extraordinarily hard to police anyway and it's bound to happen so I just thought it was better to have the rule in place in advance than to have a debate afterwards.

Thanks for clarifying it,

Stuart
Rene BorgApr 23 2019, 2:12pmCaoimhin: IMRA race, IMRA rules basically. So it's your IMRA age category that counts.

So for those not lucky enough to be IMRA members yet: your age category is linked to the year so anyone who is turning 40 this year get's a pre-taste of what that feels like.
Rene BorgApr 23 2019, 2:12pmCaoimhin: IMRA race, IMRA rules basically. So it's your IMRA age category that counts.

So for those not lucky enough to be IMRA members yet: your age category is linked to the year so anyone who is turning 40 this year get's a pre-taste of what that feels like.
Bill HallidenApr 23 2019, 7:26pmHi all - I am looking after organising and co-ordinating the race marshals for the WWR this year and while we have a few volunteers already we need many more - both handover and traffic marshals. For those who have already volunteered can you email me on halliden2@eircom.net with your contact details, indicating you two most preferred marshalling locations and I will confirm back to you.

Team Captains - no need for you to send me an email re your team traffic marshall as I will be allocating a marshalling location to you, which I will do by email in the next day or so.
Mick HanneyApr 23 2019, 9:42pmLeg 7 runners are going to love this :-)
The steps up from the Derry river. A 1 in 4 climb after more than 20k.
https://www.strava.com/segments/19986770
Peter O'FarrellApr 24 2019, 1:05pmThe mandatory randomised traffic marshalls idea seems a little convoluted.
Will the list of mandatory randomised traffic marshalls be published so teams can unrandomise their randomised mandatory traffic marshalls amongst themselves?

Where are we putting 30 (or 34) traffic marshalls?
Why are we putting 30 traffic marshalls? Are they not just increasing traffic?????
Bill HallidenApr 24 2019, 1:33pmHi Peter the need for traffic marshals is firstly to ensure the safety all involved in the event, other people using the roadways near each handover location, both pedestrians and motorists and to ensure that we don't get on the wrong side of locals or the Gardai and risk not being able to run the event in subsequent years. In relation to the number of marshals the need is due to our experience in past events - namely some very busy and therefore higher risk handover locations, there have also been issues with team cars being parked in locations that caused problems with local landowners which again threatened the viability of future races. As regards allocating the marshal locations for teams this will be done on as equitable a basis as possible but allowing teams to select their own marshaling locations is not feasible.
Paul JoyceApr 25 2019, 9:36pm@ Bill- I've a load of Do Not Think Of Parking Here signs in the shed I usually put out the night before at the Derry crossing (old contentious leg 7/8 handover) but to be honest they (or several thousand marshals) make no difference to some teams who think rules don't apply for the few-to-60 minutes they "need" a car there... I sort of agree with Peter regarding not complicating things... a single traffic marshal at each contentious point bearing big red DNF cards would soften their cough for following years and cut down on volunteer requirements...
Either way hope all teams abide by the few important rules and continued success with this great race.
Bill HallidenApr 27 2019, 1:15pmThanks Paul - are you volunteering to put the signs out for us?:).
Bill HallidenApr 27 2019, 1:21pmWe are still short of non-running marshals for the WWR - if you can assist for a few hours on the day please email me on halliden2@eircom.net
Paul JoyceApr 27 2019, 7:16pmYeah no problem Bill I'll stick them out the night before
Bill HallidenMay 4 2019, 4:12pmHi all we are still short a signficant number of non-running marshals for the WWR race and without the right number of marshals to run the event safely and fairly we are in danger of not being able to run the race at all. We need one Marshal for Oldbridge from 09.00; two for Glendalough from 09.40; one for Ironbridge from 11.15; two for Crossbridge from 12.40 and two for Shilelagh from 13.10. If anyone is going to spectate or support a team along the route and is willing to help out please contact me via the forum or email me on halliden2@eircom.net
Diarmuid O'ColmainMay 4 2019, 6:13pmFollowing on some comments earlier in the forum (thanks to Jeff, Rene, Jason and Stuart), I recced leg 4 today; there is no problem following the route from beginning in Oldbridge to the end in Glendalough - just one very minor point to be clarified - the finishing point will, I presume (as usual) be reached after running past the Visitor Centre, across the grass, up the bridge and onto the Green Road.

Other than that, the route could do with a few more yellow arrows between Paddock Hill and the finish, but a good recce should eliminate any problems - some of the arrows need a fresh coat of paint! but I don't think the absence of that will cause any serious problem.
Diarmuid O'ColmainMay 4 2019, 6:14pmAnd as far as I can make out, the route the yellow arrows follow is the same as shown on the latest EastWest map for the area.
Diarmuid O'ColmainMay 4 2019, 6:15pmAnd as far as I can make out, the route the yellow arrows follow is the same as shown on the latest EastWest map for the area.
Diarmuid O'ColmainMay 5 2019, 8:17amHi BillI should be able to help - a bit dfificult to estimate when and where just yet - I'm running leg 4, starting around 10 and finishing around 11.
Colette MatthewsMay 6 2019, 5:55pmHi Bill, I can fill the spot on Ironbridge. I'm new to IMRA though so you'll have to give me details of what you want me to do other than directions. My email colette_omalley@yahoo.co.uk
Tom MelliganMay 8 2019, 9:22amHi Bill. I would be happy to help out if you still need people. Don't mind where just let me know where you need me.
Mick HanneyMay 9 2019, 7:45pmTo help with the parking situation, particularly with changeovers that have limited space (e.g. Ironbridge) use of car-pooling by teams and dis-use of single occupancy cars will help a lot.
Bill HallidenMay 9 2019, 10:47pm@Tom It would be great if you could help out at Glendalough or Oldbridge....can you send me an email to halliden2@eircom.net to confirm. Thank you.
Bill HallidenMay 9 2019, 10:53pmImportant Notice - Possible Cancellation of WW Relay - due to lack of volunteers to run the race we are in danger of having to cancel the race all together. We are just over seven days out and we are still short five non-running marshals. We need one for Oldbridge, Glendalough, Crossbridge and two for Shillelagh. If anyone can volunteer please reply to this message or contact me on halliden2@eircom.net.
Andrew MendelsonMay 10 2019, 7:57amBill, I can help at Glendo, preferably in an idiot-proof role. (andrewdotmendelsonatgmaildotcom)
Mick HanneyMay 10 2019, 9:37amHi,

I totally get how we need marshals for certain locations e.g. Oldbridge, Ironbridge. However, I would hate to see the race not going ahead if marshals aren't available for some locations which - lets be honest - are ok and self-managing. For instance, last year I was only volunteer at Shillelagh and it was fine. Glendalough is probably in a similar boat, Crossbridge too. I suggest we focus on the real trouble spots and can look forward to a great event.

Regards,

Mick
Paul JoyceMay 10 2019, 9:56amBill,

I can help out at Shillelagh (probably need to leave around 5pm though)

Agree with Mick that one Marshal is enough at several locations...
Bill HallidenMay 10 2019, 3:10pm@Andrew thanks for volunteering - I will contact you by email over the weekend to confirm details
Bill HallidenMay 10 2019, 3:15pm@Paul thank you for volunteering - you are the final piece of the puzzle. I will be in touch over the weekend to confirm details.
Bill HallidenMay 10 2019, 3:15pm@Paul thank you for volunteering - you are the final piece of the puzzle. I will be in touch over the weekend to confirm details.
Bill HallidenMay 10 2019, 3:35pmWe have had a great response to our recent appeal for volunteers and we now have enough people signed up as non running volunteers to run the event safely and fairly - a big thanks to everyone who is giving up their time so that the event can go ahead. All non running volunteers will get an email by Wednesday of next week with final guidelines etc.
Pearse CoyleMay 14 2019, 9:36amFolks - sorry to cut in here: on WWR race day I'm trying to get from Shillelagh to Killaloe, Co. Clare. Do we know of any person or group likely to be heading West or towards Limerick after the race? Please msg me directly on pearsecoyle@gmail.com Thanks
Colm MoranMay 14 2019, 10:43amHi,
I was looking at the jpeg of the route for leg 6 linked on the event page, and I can see that their is a purple line along the route that does not follow the Wicklow Way the whole way.
I assume from previous messages that the WW must be followed using the markers, as opposed to the purple route marked on that map?
Cheers
Mick HanneyMay 14 2019, 12:22pm@Colm. Yes, that picture is old. Its WW markers all the way on leg 6, no diversions in place.
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 3:34pmLeg 54 question - after running along the section with the forest to your right (after approx 3.8k) you come over a stile on to on open top mountain - do you run straight across the worn path here as per WW signs.. guessing the answer is yes but on both my recce's I went left down to the bottom and back up to the far side as per the gpx
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 3:35pmleg 4, sorry
Stuart ScottMay 14 2019, 3:45pmI wish there were 54 legs!

Jason, just wondering what the plan for the trackers and the mass start will be? Will affected teams need to transport the tracker to Ironbridge for the Leg 7 runner to collect if their Leg 5 runner arrives in after the mass start? Many thanks.
Jeff SwordsMay 14 2019, 5:08pmHi Mark,

Are you talking about the section of forest just before the 4k point on Military Road?

If so you go right into the "new" part of the WW through the forest until you exit onto Military Road and cross over through the little carpark.

The old route had you go straight, if I remember correctly there was a bit of discussion at a recent race in which one team took the other route.

Does the yellow man point straight down at that point?
Graham K. BusheMay 14 2019, 5:34pmI think Mark means crossing Paddock Hill when you come over the stile after the Brusher Gap Shelter.
The Wicklow Way cuts across this field (not left and down to the corner around the side of the field)
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 5:36pmHi Jeff,

You come over a stile at about 4 k after running on a trail with the forest on your right.. not sure if I am on military rd as see no reference to that on the map.. as you cross the stile there is a worn track leading straight across towards the top of paddock hill.. WW signs point this way but on my recce I was taking an immediate left after crossing this stile..
Gordon PlaceMay 14 2019, 5:36pmHi Jeff, I think it's the bit just after the 'Native Woodland Trust' reserve just before the 3 mile marker on plotaroute, before Paddock Hill. Plotaroute and the gpx sends you down left with sharp right at the bottom back up to Paddock Hill whereas the WW just goes straight on to it. You can see it when you select 'OSM Outdoors map' as the view in plotaroute as it shows the WW
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 5:37pmHi Jeff,

You come over a stile at about 4 k after running on a trail with the forest on your right.. not sure if I am on military rd as see no reference to that on the map.. as you cross the stile there is a worn track leading straight across towards the top of paddock hill.. WW signs point this way but on my recce I was taking an immediate left after crossing this stile..
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 5:43pmThat is it exactly Graham.. Thanks for explaining better than me :-) so on the day do I cut striaght across the field as per the WW signs? to go left and back up at the corner of the field would add a few extra mins to the leg for sure
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 5:45pmand yes Gordon you are spot on when describing the part I am referring to.. it is immediately after the native woodland trust
Jeff SwordsMay 14 2019, 5:54pmAh, Gordon just made me realise the plotaroute link uses miles! I was reading it as Ks, which coincidentally at around the 3.8 marker on that map also has a bit which has caused confusion for some before.
Graham K. BusheMay 14 2019, 5:56pmHi Mark, the Wicklow Way is straight ahead. That left turn and down to the corner is the route taken in the Mountain Rescue Benefit Race.
Jeff is referring to the section through the woods after Paddock Hill, which comes out onto the Military Road. G
Mark PearceMay 14 2019, 5:58pmThanks for the input Jeff, Graham and Gordon.. much appreciated.. straight across it is so :-)
Jeff SwordsMay 14 2019, 5:59pmAnd as the lads say you cut across the field rather than around it so the plotaroute is slightly wrong there.
Colm MoranMay 15 2019, 4:58pmIs it possible to find past results with leg times & records etc? Would be great if so!
Cheers, Colm
Eoin KennedyMay 15 2019, 10:09pmLast years results are in here Colm:
https://www.imra.ie/events/forum/id/1619/
Hilary JenkinsonMay 16 2019, 11:32amIf you need any extra help at Glenmalure i am available.
Hilary JenkinsonMay 16 2019, 11:33amIf you need any extra help at Glenmalure i am available.
Jason KehoeMay 16 2019, 1:35pm****************************************
OFFICIAL UPDATE
Below please see notes re parking restrictions along the route - this is as much for the people who will be taking over at the start of each leg as it is for your teams traffic marshal.

PLEASE DISPLAY YOUR PARKING NOTICE WITH ALL CONTACT DETAILS ON YOUR VEHICLE DASHBOARD (distributed to your captain already) - time penalties will apply if not displayed.

Leg 1) Kilmashogue - No restrictions
* Park facing outwards as close together as possible
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/JR8vMfmx5e2y9Zwg8

Leg 2) Curtlestown - No restrictions
* Keep outgoing runners EXIT CLEAR to the road
* Look before you run onto the public road
* Follow marshals instructions
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/HaCrfUwnhnYpw1wb6

Leg 3) Lough Tay - Restrictions, buses use this route regularly
* NO PARKING ON ROAD DIRECTLY BELOW THE BANK OF THE CAR PARK
* Reverse into main car park facing outwards as close together as possible
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/VustHZuuFECVxqy7A

Leg 4) Oldbridge - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Follow marshals instructions to park at Lough Dan overflow carpark.
* No parking at bridge handover point
* Do not park on grass verges
* Do not block house entrances or farm gates
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/DBjrMv1N7tPHBRMz8

Leg 5) Glendalough - No restrictions
* Pay parking may be in operation
* Do not park on yellow lines or footpaths
* Keep off path at the handover point
* Keep line of sight clear for Handover Marshall / Photographer
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/kBoHv8hRSkpmpsAe8

Leg 6) Drumgoff - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Follow marshals instructions to park in farmers field below Glenmalure Lodge unless otherwise instructed on day
* Waiting teams are to *KEEP CROSSROADS CLEAR* for traffic
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/xHq31yMkd2PJSBtaA

Leg 7) Ironbridge - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Fill car park firstly
* Keep incoming runners route ENTIRELY free
* Space should be left for large vehicles to pass
* Do not block gates or park on corners
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/gkW9z1oa8qLPan6p7

Leg 8) Crossbridge - HIGH PRIORITY RESTRICTIONS!
* Parking is ONLY at the far side of the hill (300m) and there are no cars allowed up to the changeover point (besides WWR volunteers).
* Do not park on bridge at river when supporting incoming runners
Google Maps:
Handover Point - https://goo.gl/maps/STZ5hoXs51uny5Kf9
Parking Point - https://goo.gl/maps/8kt6KPcxjoZhAZ4N6

Leg 9) Shillelagh - No restrictions
* Park in Kenny’s Lounge (Parkview house) car park
* Have a cool celebratory drink waiting for your final runner!
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5fiuCRGDxCrr3PKb9

Good luck on Saturday!

Andrew MendelsonMay 17 2019, 8:21amHi Jason and Bill,
I am down to volunteer at Glendalough per prior forum correspondence, but still need a steer on time and (exact) place. Please could one of you give me a shout at andrew.mendelson@gmail... or zero-eight-seven-nine-eight-seven-one-double three-two; thanks!
Rene BorgMay 17 2019, 10:14amTime to obsess about the competition, this year's teams:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho7yeutp9r2tfvn/WWR%202019%20-%20Team%20entry%20form.xlsx?dl=0
Rene BorgMay 17 2019, 12:34pmNow for the bookies a bit of information (note 4 teams of the 33 are not competitive in current setup - we are following up with them to confirm this is intentional).

17 of the 33 teams have 'returned' to defend previous years positions. Looking at the form this is how it stands (keep in mind 16 teams are not even considered as they are all 'dark horses'):

RANK BASED ON LAST 4 YEARS POSITIONS

TT Racers 1
Rathfarnham WSAF AC 2
Hurt Squad 5
Sportsworld 6
Ticknock Trailers 4
Glendalough AC 7
Mountain Swifts 3
UCDO 8
Tinahely Tri Club 10
Brothers Pearse AC 9
Kilcoole AC 11
Le Cheile AC 12
The SIG-nificant Others 14
Bravehearts 15
Grassroots Fitness 13
Rush Running 16
Agony of Defeet 17

RANK BASED ON AVERAGE TIME FOR LAST 4 YEARS

TT Racers 1
Rathfarnham WSAF AC 2
Hurt Squad 5
Sportsworld 6
Ticknock Trailers 4
Glendalough AC 7
Mountain Swifts 3
UCDO 8
Tinahely Tri Club 10
Kilcoole AC 11
Brothers Pearse AC 9
Le Cheile AC 12
The SIG-nificant Others 14
Bravehearts 15
Grassroots Fitness 13
Rush Running 16
Agony of Defeet 17

Form-wise TT Racers are superb with 3 x 1st place after their 2nd place in 2015. Rathfarnham arrested a negative trend last year having gone from 1st to 2nd and then 3rd before finishing 2nd in 2018.

Otherwise, 7 out of the 17 teams towing the line this year for a second successive year are 'on the up': TT Racers, RAthfarnham, Ticknock Trailers, MOuntain Swifts, UCDO, Brothers Pearse and Grassroots fitness all improved or maintained their finish position while the other 10 teams dropped in the rankings.

Brothers Pearse are the only team apart from TT Racers to improve or maintain position two consecutive years! Only one team has had a two or more years slide - we shall be nice here and not name them!

Only five teams returning this year have previously broken the 'Blue Ribbon' 8-hour barrier: TT Racers, RAthfarnham, HUrt Squad, Sportsworld, and UCDO). TT Racers and Rathfarnham have never FAILED TO DO SO!

Time to place your bets...
Rene BorgMay 17 2019, 12:37pmFinal statistics pre-race, special mention to the seven teams who have competed every year since 2015:

TT Racers
Rathfarnham WSAF
Mountain Swifts
Glendalough AC
Tinahely Tri Club
Bravehearts (Trim AC)

Some have a much longer unbroken streak than this (I'm looking at you RAtfarnham) but current results sheet only looks that far back.
Warren SwordsMay 17 2019, 1:57pmSuper line up this year, includes a Dublin marathon winner and an Olympian,

But more importantly, who's the bookies favourite to get lost?

My money is on Rathfarnham and the Mountain Swifts. They've got pedigree in this area.

The double combo of the Bells on the Mountain Swifts makes them the clear favourites to get lost given their recent exploits in testing the limits of course markers and marshals.

Although who can forget Rathfarnham going wrong on leg 2 in 2017, missing the turn for the little-known trail to Djouce.
Richard NunanMay 17 2019, 4:50pmBrilliant work Rene, its going to be great Dot watching also with the introduction of the Trackers this year.

I would agree with Warren, Rathfarnham to win.

Rumors are TT Racers time held time trials for positions, but Recces often prove to be more important on the day.

Best of luck to all runners and to Jason, Bill and all the volunteers on the course on Saturday !
Peter BellMay 17 2019, 4:52pmNot going to happen Warren
No1 they are giving us a gps thing and
No2 I'm going to reci the hell out of my leg on Sunday.
Preparation is key!
Conor O'FarrellMay 17 2019, 5:12pmEh?
Conor O'FarrellMay 17 2019, 5:22pmSorry, I had something important to say and Peter completely threw me. ;-)

Guys, please be aware that there is a cycling sportive on tomorrow that will be using a lot of the roads alongside the WW route; from Sally Gap through to Lough Tay, Roundwood, Laragh Drumgoff and Aughavannagh. Drive with caution and expect cyclists to be coming from in front and behind, at speed on the smaller roads.
Stuart ScottMay 17 2019, 5:25pmI think Peter should definitely wait till Sunday to recce the route!
Mick HanneyMay 17 2019, 6:43pmIs there a link for the WWR trackers?
Mick HanneyMay 17 2019, 7:09pmIf you look, you shall find:-

http://live.primaltracking.com/wwr2019/
Peter O'FarrellMay 17 2019, 8:45pmThe dropbox link currently has 32 teams listed (as does the live tracker), Rene mentions 33.
How many are expected?

There are always a few who didn't get to do their recces, they may find themselves wreckedy. You can easily gauge recce readiness this year by the lack of a mobile phone on the confident runner :)

Assuming no one gets lost it does look to be a close battle between TT and Rathfarnham with 30, or 31, other teams waiting in the wings for a tracker to veer off course - and coverage can be patchy, at best, in Wickla!
Rene BorgMay 18 2019, 9:42amCongratulations to Mark Ryan for consigning one of the older records in the Wicklow Way Relay to the history books. His 52:57 run on leg 1 takes 51 seconds off Keith Daly's 53:48 best time run in 2009 for the Donore Dashers.

10 years - it was a good run for Keith's old mark!
Neil DobbsMay 18 2019, 12:10pmWhat have Fell's Angels been doing with their tracker battery? They need tips from Trail Runners on energy efficiency.

Great conditions out there today. Fair play to all those who zipped by me on leg 2! Thanks to all the volunteers.
Paul JoyceMay 18 2019, 2:19pmFrom Shillelagh:
1st TT Racers 2:04:27
2nd Rathfarnham 2:14:03
Waiting on 3rd...
Brendan LawlorMay 19 2019, 8:13amSuper day in the mountains yesterday..many thanks to Jason, Rene, Bill and all the marshals. The WW Relay always delights . Congratulations to the TT Racers.

And big well done to Gavin Byrne who set a fabulous new fastest time ( 15 hours and 4 minutes), on the Wicklow Round yesterday .That was an hour and twenty minutes quicker than the last record which was set three weeks ago ! A vintage year for the Wicklow Round!
John BellMay 19 2019, 8:38amCongratulations to TT Racers, it looked like a great battle with Rathfarnham.

Thanks to Jason, Rene, Bill and crew for another very smoothly organised and really enjoyable day out in the hills.
Rene BorgMay 19 2019, 5:07pm6 out of 8 leg results are ready, so the full file will be posted as soon as I have the results sheet for leg 3 and 7.

In the meantime, here are provisional results for the legs 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6. there'll be errors here - email them to me rene.borg@outlook.ie. All changes made will be uploaded in one go - not piece by piece.

LEG 1

RANK NAME CAT TIME
1 Mark Ryan M40 0:52:53
2 Michael McMahon M 0:54:03
3 Greg Byrne M40 1:00:26
4 Peter O'Farrell M40 1:00:31
5 Eoin Condron M 1:00:36
6 Damien Byrne M40 1:01:03
7 Ronan Dunphy M 1:02:45
8 Fintan Redmond M40 1:02:57
9 Amidou Dembele M 1:03:11
9 John McAuley M 1:03:11
11 Peter O'Neill M40 1:03:47
12 Hugh Hunt M40 1:04:11
13 Karl Fitzgerald M40 1:04:19
14 Donal Brady M40 1:06:16
15 Becky Quinn F40 1:07:06
16 Christy Maloney M50 1:07:44
16 Alan Byrne M 1:07:44
18 Harriette Robinson F 1:08:33
19 Sinead Tangney F 1:11:35
20 Ciara Brady F 1:11:41
21 Aidan Woods M40 1:12:23
22 Mike Ryan M50 1:15:39
23 Evan Mullally M40 1:15:47
24 Johnny O’Brien M 1:16:44
25 David Hynes M40 1:18:47
26 Audrey Gahan F40 1:18:50
27 Richard Leahy M50 1:19:03
28 Jake Stanbridge Duffy M 1:23:34
29 Brendan Scullion M 1:24:23
30 Emma Parkinson F40 1:30:37
31 Mairead Cashman F50 1:58:42
32 Harry McGee M50 DNF
Rene BorgMay 19 2019, 5:10pmLEG 2

RANK NAME CAT TIME
1 Seán Hehir M 1:01:08
2 Tom Lupton M 1:04:23
3 Brian Gurrin M50 1:08:43
4 John Bell M40 1:10:58
5 Torben Dahl M40 1:13:46
6 Paddy Walsh M 1:13:48
7 Mikey Fry M40 1:15:36
8 David Naylor M40 1:15:44
9 Mark Hogan M 1:16:49
10 Ray Morrisey M40 1:17:50
11 Paul Dunne M40 1:18:34
12 Brian O'Shaugnessy M40 1:19:04
13 Neil Dobbs M 1:20:54
14 Oisin O Mir M40 1:21:06
15 Will Martin-Smith M 1:22:40
16 Jeff Butler M40 1:25:54
17 Jarlath Hynes M50 1:26:13
18 Valdas Tilunas M40 1:26:40
19 Robert Farrell M40 1:27:44
20 Padraig Doyle M40 1:29:31
21 Fergus O'Farrell M 1:33:19
22 Anthony Alexander M40 1:34:21
23 Peter Doyle M40 1:35:41
24 Paddy McDonnell M40 1:38:00
25 Shay O'Giollain M 1:40:58
26 Mick Gygax M50 1:41:53
27 Tony Proudfoot M40 1:42:58
28 Lisa Shine F 1:44:17
29 Brendan Lawlor M50 1:45:22
30 Donal Morrissey M40 1:48:31
31 Deirdre Nic Aodhain F 1:57:51
32 Turlough Conway M40 DNF

LEG 5

RANK NAME CAT TIME
1 Alasdair Brown M 0:56:49
2 Ian Conroy M 0:56:55
3 Ciarán Aylward M 0:57:49
4 Warren Swords M40 0:58:51
5 Peter Bell M 0:59:26
6 Paddy Byrne M40 1:00:56
7 Mark O'Connor M40 1:02:51
8 Mark Byrne M40 1:03:39
9 Liam Bowe M40 1:05:23
10 Peter Gorman M 1:05:47
11 Shane Parkinson M40 1:06:18
12 Richard Costelloe M40 1:07:51
13 David Kennedy M 1:08:22
14 Stevie Boyle M40 1:08:52
15 Maura Ginty F 1:10:18
17 Anthony Finn M40 1:17:15
18 Oisin Butler M 1:17:33
19 Rhona Mc Hugh F40 1:19:56
16 Ken McKeown M 1:10:34
20 Claudine Hughes F40 1:20:59
21 Conall Whelan M 1:21:39
22 Padraig Fitzpatrick M40 1:22:43
23 Noel Guilfoyle M40 1:23:35
24 Bridget Murray F40 1:24:27
25 Ronan Kavanagh M 1:24:43
26 Ciaran Woods M40 1:24:56
27 Michael O'Sullivan M50 1:26:36
27 Jim Durham M60 1:26:36
29 Trevor Lacey M 1:31:58
30 Pól Ó Murchú M 1:32:47
31 Roisin O'Connor F 1:37:18
32 Pat Hussey M40 1:43:36

LEG 6

RANK NAME CAT TIME
1 Valter Valente M 0:54:10
2 Brendan Murphy M 0:55:01
3 Colm Moran M 0:57:21
4 Brian Furey M 0:59:45
5 Andrea Talpo M40 1:00:51
6 Tim Murray M 1:01:06
7 Geoff Duff M40 1:01:42
8 Noel Kennedy M 1:01:47
9 Ben Mooney M50 1:02:16
10 Peter Gray M50 1:03:47
11 Pat Sneyd M40 1:04:06
12 Liam Lenehan M50 1:06:03
13 Naoise Waldron F 1:07:00
14 Niamh Corbett F 1:07:39
15 Jarlath Duffy M40 1:07:43
16 Derek Cullen M 1:08:05
17 Martin Gaynor M 1:08:49
18 Colm Murphy M40 1:08:55
19 Alan Maher M40 1:09:08
20 Gordon Place M40 1:11:31
21 Alison Underwood F40 1:17:06
22 Aoife Mundow F 1:18:55
23 Kate Murray F40 1:19:34
23 Paraic McQuaid M40 1:19:34
25 Eimear Horan F 1:22:00
26 Terry Cullen M40 1:22:42
27 Martin McCarthy M 1:25:10
28 Conor McLoughlin M 1:25:44
29 Mark Melia M 1:31:57
30 Paul Hawkins M50 1:32:05
31 Greg Robins M50 1:32:34
32 Ronan Kavanagh M 1:55:00
Caoimhin MacMaolainMay 19 2019, 9:31pmThanks very much to Jason, Bill, Rene and all volunteers for another superbly organised Wicklow Way Relay. Always a most enjoyable day out in the county. Your mammoth efforts are greatly appreciated by those of us who get to run it.
Stuart ScottMay 20 2019, 10:33amThanks everyone for a great day out on Saturday, especially Jason for all the hard work in the lead-up. The trackers were an excellent innovation this year and really added to the enjoyment. Particular thanks too to James and Padraig (I think) for waiting around so long for me to finish!
Conor O'FarrellMay 20 2019, 11:04amMany Thanks to Jason, Bill, Rene and the whole team of volunteers responsible for The Relay on Saturday. A huge amount of logistics went into this and it all came together seamlessly on the day. The trackers were a great addition and really added to the experience. I think many people were dubious about the mandatory team volunteer, but I think it payed off and kept it fair for everyone.

On another note, this year we will be posting results onto the website directly (as per normal races) in the coming weeks, but with that brings some challenges. Can each team captain ensure that all of their members have set up a myimra account and provide me (results@imra.ie) with the following pieces of information for EACH team member:
-Team Name
-Runner Name
-Which leg they ran
-2019 IMRA race number(if you have one)
-Email address associated with their myimra account

Without this info, I cannot post the full results for a team. We have to make some adjustments to the website and database to make this happen and Kevin is already working on this, so please bear with us.

Thanks
Con
Rene BorgMay 20 2019, 3:03pmResults of 3, 7 and 8 - provisional!

It's interesting to note that while TT Racers and RAthfarnham dominated the team events, they did not dominate the individual legs to the same degree as the last two years - only 3 of the 8 'leg winners' were from the top-2 teams: Le Cheile, The Sigs-Sags, Hurt Squad, UCDO and Who likes Short Shorts each got a stage win.

RANK NAME CAT TIME % OF WINNER
1 Luke Maher MJ 0:30:21 100%
2 Sonya McConnon F 0:33:55 112%
3 Gordon Place M40 0:33:56 112%
4 Ann marie Kenny F40 0:34:48 115%
5 Malika Hammani F40 0:35:50 118%
6 Linda O'Connor F 0:36:25 120%
7 Mike Long M50 0:37:12 123%
8 Beth Neal F 0:37:27 123%
9 David Martin M50 0:37:37 124%
10 Yvonne Brennan F40 0:37:41 124%
11 Sabrina Keogh F 0:37:43 124%
12 Ciara Bowe F40 0:38:27 127%
13 Niamh O'Gorman F 0:38:57 128%
14 Fiona Shine F 0:39:27 130%
15 Suzanne Lundy F40 0:40:06 132%
16 Laura Burns F40 0:40:21 133%
17 Deirdre O'Connell F 0:40:23 133%
18 Maoliosa Mc Hugh M 0:40:47 134%
19 Christine O’Connor F40 0:41:35 137%
20 Dee O'Neill F40 0:42:42 141%
21 Eilish Morrissey F40 0:43:43 144%
22 AnneMarie Flaherty F 0:44:34 147%
23 Sibeal Waldron F40 0:44:58 148%
24 Ann Robinson F50 0:45:46 151%
25 Ger Lee M40 0:46:30 153%
26 Michael Stynes M40 0:46:54 155%
27 Alan Cronin M40 0:47:02 155%
28 Emer Carroll F 0:47:13 156%
29 Rhiannon Barry F 0:47:59 158%
30 Karen Devenney F40 0:48:54 161%
31 John Rowe M50 0:54:27 179%
32 Catherine Woods F40 1:09:12 228%

LEG 7

RANK NAME CAT TIME
1 Karol Cronin M 1:20:17
2 Des Kennedy M50 1:21:17
3 David Power M 1:24:45
4 Luke Lennon M 1:26:47
5 James Hoare M 1:27:29
6 Darren Mooney M 1:28:15
7 Brian Kitson M40 1:33:04
8 Ruairí Long M 1:35:11
9 Ronan King M50 1:35:18
10 Michael Cunningham M40 1:37:43
11 Anthony Breen M40 1:40:04
12 Robert Costello M 1:41:23
13 Kevin O'Riordain M 1:41:27
14 Bill Barry M40 1:41:59
15 Eoin Kennedy M 1:42:42
16 Peter Gorman M 1:43:34
17 Rob Asher M 1:45:09
18 Aine Kenny F 1:48:31
19 Leah Benson F40 1:49:42
20 Stephen Gregg M40 1:49:44
21 Miroslaw Oltuszyk M 1:51:08
22 Andreas Kusch M40 1:52:18
23 Karl O Brien M 1:54:08
24 Niall Heffernan M40 1:58:47
25 Shane Walsh M 1:59:56
26 Cameron Bremner F40 2:01:46
27 Claire Gray F40 2:04:53
28 Declan Swords M50 2:07:07
29 Conor McElroy M 2:12:50
30 Ray Broughall M 2:13:13
31 Joachim Pietsch M40 2:17:53
32 Stuart Scott M 2:24:13

LEG 8

RANK NAME CAT TIME
1 Eadaoin McCavana F 0:37:44
2 Linda Byrne F 0:38:45
3 Niamh Devlin F 0:40:49
4 Clare Sullivan F 0:40:52
5 Rory Campbell M40 0:40:53
6 Barry O'Neill M40 0:42:47
7 Gordon Place M40 0:44:32
8 Eimear Fitzmaurice F 0:44:38
9 Rosie Conway F40 0:45:33
10 Dena Hogan F 0:46:40
11 Niamh McGowan F 0:47:02
12 Emmet Wardell M 0:47:52
13 Christine Moncelet-Kinsella F40 0:48:06
14 Conor Daly M50 0:48:34
15 Patricia Fitzmaurice F 0:49:26
16 Jamie Kennedy M50 0:49:50
17 Claire Lauder F40 0:49:57
18 Laura Cotter F40 0:50:26
19 Shauna Gowan F 0:51:25
20 Conor O'Farrell M40 0:51:36
21 Edel Wynne F 0:53:07
22 Olwyn Dunne F50 0:53:17
23 Dave Richardson M50 0:54:12
24 Melissa Lyons F40 0:55:45
25 Cliodhna Carthy F40 0:56:57
27 Gosia Ward F40 1:02:00
28 Triona Gara F40 1:03:51
26 Candace Slyne F 1:01:38
29 Fiona Kelly F 1:12:03
30 Shane Walsh M 1:17:46
31 David Doyle M60 1:19:08
32 Deirdre Lacey F40 1:33:50
Rene BorgMay 20 2019, 3:23pmLEG 4 PROVISIONAL

1 Niall Lynch M40 0:40:04 100%
2 Paul Fleming M40 0:41:44 104%
3 Darragh Flynn M 0:42:58 107%
4 Ted Burke M40 0:45:39 114%
5 Mark Pearce M40 0:45:47 114%
6 Caoimhin MacMaolain M40 0:46:33 116%
7 Dermot Leonard M 0:47:41 119%
8 Gareth Little M 0:47:52 119%
9 Matthew Sammon M40 0:48:55 122%
10 Róisín Long F 0:49:24 100%
11 Barry O'Toole M 0:50:36 126%
12 Alan Jones M40 0:51:07 128%
13 Robert Kiersey M40 0:51:40 129%
15 PJ Dunne M40 0:51:46 129%
16 Rachel Wisdom F 0:51:55 130%
17 Oisin O Briain M40 0:52:11 130%
18 Christopher Willoughby M40 0:52:16 130%
19 James Ryan M 0:54:09 135%
19 James Ryan M 0:54:09 135%
21 Jose Chapa M40 0:54:12 135%
22 Jeff Swords M40 0:55:49 139%
23 Padraig Doyle M40 0:57:32 144%
24 Ian Mcfarland M40 0:58:16 145%
26 Gael Hernandez F 1:00:59 152%
27 Maggie Lawler F 1:03:10 158%
28 Miriam Maher F40 1:04:32 161%
29 Olga Brennan F 1:05:56 165%
30 Margaret Murray F40 1:07:28 168%
31 Diarmuid O'Colmain M60 1:08:43 172%
32 Michael Stynes M40 1:12:30 181%
Rene BorgMay 20 2019, 3:26pmLEG 4 PROVISIONAL CORRECTED

1 Niall Lynch M40 0:40:04 100%
2 Paul Fleming M40 0:41:44 104%
3 Darragh Flynn M 0:42:58 107%
4 Ted Burke M40 0:45:39 114%
5 Mark Pearce M40 0:45:47 114%
6 Caoimhin MacMaolain M40 0:46:33 116%
7 Dermot Leonard M 0:47:41 119%
8 Gareth Little M 0:47:52 119%
9 Matthew Sammon M40 0:48:55 122%
10 Róisín Long F 0:49:24 123%
11 Barry O'Toole M 0:50:36 100%
12 Alan Jones M40 0:51:07 128%
14 PJ Dunne M40 0:51:46 129%
15 Rachel Wisdom F 0:51:53 129%
16 Oisin O Briain M40 0:52:11 130%
17 Christopher Willoughby M40 0:52:16 130%
18 James Ryan M 0:54:09 135%
19 Jose Chapa M40 0:54:12 135%
20 Jeff Swords M40 0:55:49 139%
21 Neil Purdy M 0:57:23 143%
22 Padraig Doyle M40 0:57:32 144%
23 Tadhg O'Mahony M 0:58:08 145%
25 Gael Hernandez F 1:00:59 152%
26 Maggie Lawler F 1:03:10 158%
27 Anna Shine F 1:03:41 159%
28 Miriam Maher F40 1:04:32 161%
29 Olga Brennan F 1:05:56 165%
30 Margaret Murray F40 1:07:28 168%
31 Diarmuid O'Colmain M60 1:08:43 172%
32 Michael Stynes M40 1:12:30 181%
Andrew HanneyMay 20 2019, 3:36pmThanks Rene, do you have the leg 4 list?
Andrew HanneyMay 20 2019, 3:43pmaha! Thanks Rene.
Rene BorgMay 20 2019, 3:48pmNEW MEN'S AND WOMEN'S RECORDS ON LEG 3

We have two new CRs to go with Mark Ryan's new mark on leg 1 - Luke Maher broke his own mark of 32:44 on the new shorter leg 3 lowering it to 30:32. All the more impressive given Luke is only 16!

The time is fast enough that it likely would also have been fast enough to break Alex Hunter's 31:15 for the slightly longer version of the current route (finishing in the crossing instead of at the bridge).

Sonya McConnon also broke the existing record lowering Ilona McIlroy's 35:05 to 33:55. Like Luke her time would likely have been enough to break the 33:13 set by Emma Donlon - but we will never know for sure.

LEG 4 RECORD!

Not to be left out Niall Lynch lowered the record on the new longer leg 4 from 40:54 to 40:04. The previous mark set by TT Racers as well - Ronan Dunne.

LEG 7 RECORD?

Leg 7 is now 800m shorter and as such only times faster than on the longer course can be considered records for the new permanent route. Aine Kenny ran 1:48:31 which is nearly 4 min faster than the 1:52 set by Maureen Lowther in 2015.

The fastest male performance on the revised leg 7 was 5 minutes slower than the current record for the longer leg. For a new record to be considered for the new leg 7, it should significantly lower Tim O'Donoghues 1:14:49.
Rene BorgMay 20 2019, 4:01pmFull results file (minus any corrections that may come in over the coming days): https://www.dropbox.com/s/k33fn8t18wd6b2k/WWR2019_FullResults.xlsx?dl=0

If the IMRA webmaster can upload this to the IMRA servers and create direct link on the page to that server location that would be great. This dropbox link will serve as a stop-gap.

File is best viewed in MS Excel but will work (to a point) if you use Google Sheets.
Conor O'FarrellMay 20 2019, 4:29pmThanks Rene

Results file is now available on the main Event page, or here: https://media.imra.ie/ad-hoc/WWR2019_FullResults.xlsx

Con
Eadaoin McCavanaMay 20 2019, 11:06pmAs much as I'm liking the look of the leg 8 results, my time was approx. 10 mins slower. Wouldn't want to take away from Lindas great leg win!

Éadaoin
Eadaoin McCavanaMay 20 2019, 11:07pmAs much as I'm liking the look of the leg 8 results, my time was approx. 10 mins slower. Wouldn't want to take away from Lindas great leg win!

Éadaoin
Stuart ScottMay 21 2019, 10:14amThanks Rene for the hard work on the results (and Conor for getting the file up - it's great to see it on the site for posterity).

One very minor thing - our team (30) definitely didn't take the early start at 1.15am as that would've been way too early for me to get up :-)

Thanks again for a great day out! Our runners, some new to IMRA (and to running), all thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
Liam BoweMay 21 2019, 12:20pmA huge thank you to Jason, Bill, Rene and all the volunteers for the hours of planning, organising and execution of such a well run and wonderful event in the Wicklow Mountains, from the golden oldies at Racing795.

Special word of thanks also from our team to our car park marshal, Frank Burke, who was also Head Marshal for our National Series Triathlon on Sunday and could certainly have been elsewhere on Saturday morning - twas worth it for the view of Lough Tay!
Ruairí LongMay 21 2019, 9:02pmHi there,
Thanks for a fantastic event! Very well organised and enjoyed by everyone.
Just looking at the results, and I think there may be a slight error in our team (UCDO, Team 8) towards the end of the results, as pointed out by Eadaoin above.
I ran 1:25 (85 minutes flat) for leg 7 instead of the 1:35 posted. Apologies for causing any inconvenience with this, wouldn’t have minding a ten minute sit down out there! I have Strava data if you need it.
Thanks a million,
Ruairí
Andrew HanneyMay 30 2019, 9:46pmI added a race report for Kilcoole AC's adventures on the day.
Rene BorgJun 3 2019, 2:02pmThanks Ruairi etc et al - file now updated with about 6 changes due to errors. This affects legs 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 so the tables posted early are no longer reflective of the actual rankings on the day.

The file updated is the one in this forum thread on Google Drive - the file on the event page is not yet updated.

IMRA webmaster would you be able to update that?
Conor O'FarrellJan 20 2020, 11:49amHi All

I am working on publishing the Wicklow Way Relay results on the website as a standard result, instead of an external spreadsheet. I am doing this on a "best-effort" basis as it is difficult to match names to IMRA accounts and numbers, not to mention all the unregistered runners that need to be added. If you notice that your leg is linked incorrectly to an account/runner etc., please let me know by emailing results@imra.ie, including your name, race number, year, team etc.

This is a slow process, so please bear with me.

Thanks
Con
Andrew HanneyJan 21 2020, 8:39amConor and Kevin, fair play for all this work on the side. It’s great to see the leg results up there. Excellent stuff.
Miriam MaherJan 21 2020, 9:12amFantastic work Conor and Kevin - huge amount of effort has to have gone into this. Thanks very much
Mick HanneyFeb 10 2020, 7:30pmOnly noticing now the additional Relay Results which show up under a runners profile. Kudos to the guys for this new information. A great addition.
Conor O'FarrellFeb 11 2020, 3:50pm@MIck, Yes. A big thanks to thanks to Kevin for all his hard work setting up the facility on the back-end of the website and database.

I've done my best to match names/profiles to our registered runners, and had to set up dummy runners for the non-members at the time.

This coming year, I'm hoping the overhead will be much less, with a requirement of all runners to be members for the year.