- Sunday 16 April, 2023
- Climb (m):
- Distance (km):
- Event Difficulty:
- 10 (Extreme) - Extreme, >1,000M ascent or > 30Km
- Race Marking:
- - Route not marked
- GPS Allowed:
- Leinster Championship
- Entry details:
- No entry details have been entered for this event yet. Entries for league events usually open a couple of weeks before the event
- Vouchers Allowed:
- No. Online entry only for this race.
- Route Description:
- Runners who do not head onto Fananerin ridge will be given credit for a Short course. The 'finish' for the Short course will be the military road at entrance to track up to Fananerin ridge GR T101892. This reduces the distance by 5.5k and 400m of climb. From here you can walk/jog to finish or we will try facilitate a car trip. Race Start is: Aughavanagh Bridge, Aughavanagh, Co Wicklow GR. T055861
- Getting There:
- Important Parking & Registration will be at the Finish: Drumgoff Gap Military Rd Co Wicklow GR T087876. Registration will close @ 10.30 to allow runners & director to get to start in Aughavannagh, no parking at race start please do not bring cars there.
- Organisers Instructions:
- This is an extremely testing race (up to 23km with 1095 m of climb) and is NOT RECOMMENDED for beginners or inexperienced navigators.The route will not be marked.
Important: Parking & Registration will be at the Finish: Drumgoff Gap GR T087876 & close @ 11.30am , we will car ferry runners to start line OR runners may, if they choose, 'warm up' with a downhill run to start of 4.2k . This race will be on an unmarked open mountain route. Competitors must be capable of navigating their way around the course.
The mandatory kit is::
- Some food
NB: Compulsory GR points are: - Lugnaquilla T032918, - Corrigasleggaun (Lough Mtn) T048911, - Military road / trail head entrance to Fananerrin ridge T101892 - Croaghanmoira Summit T099865, Finish at Drumgoff Gap T087876. We aim to provide some water / refreshments at the military road crossing before runners aim for Croaghanmoira.
There is a 2pm cut off for point on Military road (trailhead entrance to Fananerin), anyone not making this must return to finish by road. There is a free route choice from Corrigasleggaun to Military road. A recce of route is advised. There are more tracks in forest now than on map on site. The route marked on this map is only a suggested route. An early start may be arranged depending on demand. I'll post on forum nearer the time to see level of interest.
Enjoy, be prepared for either poor visibility or blazing sunshine. Refreshments, spots & post chat at finish and onto Glenmalure Lodge.
- Prizegiving Location:
- at Finish, at Drumgoff Gap There will be medals for M and W 1, 2, 3.
You need to have done 2 non-running volunteer roles in a calendar year to qualify for end of year prize
Check with race director if they have a need for people volunteering and running. Race directors need a minimum number of people available throughout the race to make the race work so non-running volunteers are preferable. While it can be helpful, volunteering in a volunteer and race capacity does not count towards qualifying for end of year prize