Irish Mountain
Running Association

Powerscourt Ridge

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Jason KehoeOct 14 2010, 5:26pmSunday 17th October:
With the Powerscourt Ridge Race happening in three weeks time we will be doing a Recce of the race route. Its distance is 15.5km with 920m climb and should take about 1hr40mins. We can stick in a loop at the end if anyone wants to run longer. It's one of the classic IMRA routes and there is quite a bit of climb so we will be taking it very handy.

Time and Place:
Meet at Crone Wood @ 12:50pm for 1:00pm start.

See you then,
Jason
Jason KehoeOct 14 2010, 5:43pmAs an aside, I love these two photos from last year:

This one really reflects the conditions and awesomeness on Djouce that day, one for your 'Wall of epic-ness-ness-ness' Gary (was a great win too!).
http://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/35943/

Who knew Coillte felling could be so beautiful!?:
http://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/35966/
Eamonn HodgeOct 14 2010, 10:48pmReckon there's a bit of photoshopping going on there but still some great photos. Love the monochrome Declan.
john tierneyOct 16 2010, 12:26amDoes anybody know about public transport from dublin to crone(if any)
Thanks john
Bren CahillOct 19 2010, 1:16pmHey Lads,

I'm a recent Gaelforce finisher but have done little training since then for various reasons. I'd like to give this a go to get back into things but not if I'll be an hour behind everyone else! Whats the standard like? Will most be running/jogging the entire course?
Dermot MurphyOct 20 2010, 8:45amBren, check out last years result to get an idea of times.

Are you familiar with the route? It will not be marked so you will either need to recce it beforehand or else be a competent navigator.

Our AGM is on later in the day - at 3pm, so I would like to be finished up with the race around 2pm. That gives 2 1/2 hours to complete - if anyone thinks they will take longer than this, I would appreciate it if they could take an early start.
Paul O tooleNov 1 2010, 3:02pmHi all,

I am thinking of running the powerscourt ridge race in few weeks. I am a marathon runner and have only very little experience in trail running, Spink run once a week for hill training, 105 mins is my best time. As the season is coming to an end and I am very keen to start trail running, pain in my face with road running,would this race be out of my league, should I wait till next year for easier race. Any help would be great. Cheers
Mick HanneyNov 1 2010, 6:57pmHi Paul,
You should be okay. There'll be people of all ages and abilities. This race isn't marked so perhaps try hang in pace-wise with someone. The route is pretty straightforward. If the wet weather continues you would be advised to have trail shoes for the offroad bits. Keep an eye on the events page for the race for further updates. If the weather forecast is bad for the day there might be a requirement to wear a light jacket etc.
Regards,
Mick
Dermot MurphyNov 1 2010, 9:07pmOur last race of the year and AGM is on this Saturday. We will also have a social back at the Glencormack Inn and the also the prize giving for all the Championships held during the year.

The race will be the Powerscourt Ridge race which will start at 11:30am. Registration will open around 10:45am. We will want to have the race finished by 2pm to perpare for the AGM, so if you think you will need longer than this, please take an early start. Full details are on the events page. There will be soup and sandwiches at the Glencormack Inn from 1:30pm.

The AGM will take place at 3pm at the Glencormack Inn.

After the AGM, we can all relax with an informal social at the Glencormack Inn - finger food to be served around 4:30pm. This will also include the prize giving for the year which will take place at 5pm.

I hope you all enjoy the day!
Paul O tooleNov 2 2010, 3:52pmThanks for the advise Mick, waiting on my new trail shoes to arrive so if they are here I ll give it a shot.
Gavin FinlayNov 4 2010, 12:05pmHey,
I had emailed a while back re: this race. I was hoping to join IMRA and start trail running (mainly road running up until now). I know this is the last race of the season but it would it possible to take part in this event and join up for 2011??
In terms of difficulty - would this race be okay for a first-timer?!
Thanks a mill,
Gavin
Mick HanneyNov 4 2010, 12:16pmHi Gavin,

You can register on the day. You should only have to pay a race fee as the 2010 race year is almost at an end. You'll need to register then again, as we all will, when the 2011 season starts.

This wouldn't be your ideal first hill race. It is difficult. However, if you've a decent level of fitness you'll be able to get around. Runners of all ages and abilities will be in the field.

Regards,

Mick
Gavin FinlayNov 4 2010, 1:44pmHi Mick,

Thanks for the swift reply. Great, I'll give it a go on Sat then. Level of fitness is decent enough...I think, after training for marathon before getting injured 4 weeks ago.
Looking forward to it.
Gavin
Alan AylingNov 4 2010, 4:17pmhttp://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/35966/

Sugarloaf looks flatter than it used to. Erosion?
Philip BoylanNov 4 2010, 8:50pmhi guys, quick question: is this race following the trail route indicated on the map, or can the runners navigate direct from Djouce to Maulin?

thanks.
Colm HillNov 4 2010, 9:00pmI strongly do NOT advise going straight line. The ground is heathery, rough and wet... Really really Fun, but by no means fast. Speaking from experience here!

You've to follow the track in the race
Dermot MurphyNov 5 2010, 9:44amJust to say again that registration opens at 10:45am. If anyone thinks it will take them longer than 2 1/2 hours to finish the race, can they please do an early start (let me know if you want to start before 10:45am).

Can all volunteers try to be there for 10:45am?

Make sure to have the usual kit with you (jacket, whistle, hat, gloves, map, compass etc) - will decide and the morning what is compulsory depending on conditions.
Rene BorgNov 8 2010, 10:55amI wonder if someone could clarify the record situation for the Powerscourt Ridge? On paper it looks like Brian McMahon got close to the new record (Barry's time) but looking at 2002, that run suggests it may have been run on the same course and it doesn't seem unreasonable that Robbie and Paul pushing each other back then could have gone to 70 and 72 minutes respectively.

Now I entered most of these records but can't remember what clarification we used for the current setup, so if anyone out there has the information I'd appreciate it.
Paul NolanNov 8 2010, 12:04pmRene
The course in 2002 is similar but not identical to the one used this year, the difference being that now on the return the Wicklow Way enters the 'forest' at a different higher point. How this effects the times I wouldn't like to guess.

As an aside, John Lenihan's 1993 winning time on the 'original' course (up & down Djouce the same way) stands as 59:45.
Paul NolanNov 8 2010, 2:12pmcorrection: John L's time dates from 1991.
Mike BartonNov 8 2010, 3:52pmMany thanks to the organisers and all helpers who made saturdays race a success. Very enjoyable course with a wee bit of everything, plus getting a good weather slot and good soup. Mourne Runners

Will Martin-SmithNov 8 2010, 3:59pmHi,

I hate to drag the forum away from talk of records and down to mundane talk of lost property but I left behind a black and blue tracksuit top (Wanderers rugby club)in a plastic box on the bonnet of the car where registration took place. I wonder if anyone has it or knows where it went.

Thanks,

Will

(By the way that was my second race and thanks to all who organised it. I really enjoyed it - see you in the New Year)
Mick HanneyNov 8 2010, 4:12pm
Said top as well as a t-shirt were in the gear which was put in my car.

I live in south Wicklow and work in Cabinteely if you want to arrange a collection. Or, I plan on being at next event on 27th December, so I'll have them there. Short of that I can leave them with race director gear for the winter league which will start mid-February.
Will Martin-SmithNov 9 2010, 10:22amHi Mick

Thanks for taking that top along with you on Saturday - the t-shirt isn't mine. If it suited you I could meet you tomorrow evening (Wednesday) in Cabinteely after work.

My email is willmartinsmith at gmail dot com - If you tell me where you work and what time you finish I'll meet you there.

If that isn't suitable suggest another day.

Thanks,

Will