Irish Mountain
Running Association

Nav Challenge 2

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Colm MoranSep 12 2010, 7:52pmIs there any details for this event? It seems rather empty considering its so soon! Thanks,

Colm
Justin ReaSep 13 2010, 1:20pmIf a start location is known too far in advance, someone may be tempted to do a bit of investigation work in the area.

e.g. If only I'd known on Saturday that a particular forest road ended at an almost impenetrable wall of gorse and young trees, I might not have taken that route ;-)

I did actually predict one of the control locations prior to the event, just from looking at the map. Didn't help much though . . .

Thanks to Philip and Brendan for Nav 1. Roll on 2 and 3. Very enjoyable stuff.
Philip BrennanSep 13 2010, 1:32pmNC2 will take place on Saturday 18th and start will be at the Wicklow Gap car-park, I have no problem disclosing this in advance as you have a massive area to choose from in terms of potential control locations!

As before, pre-marked laminated maps will be provided & the optimal route will be circa 15km.

Start time 12 noon sharp

Report & results for NC1 to follow shortly.
Laurence QuinnSep 16 2010, 9:22pmCan anyone offer lift for me and my brother on Saturday?
Cheers
Philip BrennanSep 17 2010, 6:35pmJust a reminder - Wicklow Gap Car Park tomorrow. This week's course is a couple of km shorter than last week but what it loses in distance is made up for in terrrain - less trails and more open mountain.

Kick off 12 noon
Philip BrennanSep 19 2010, 6:53pmResults of Nav Challenge 2:

Ger Butler 99 mins
Paul Mahon 106 mins
Arnis Saltins 120 mins
Michael Butler 123 mins
Gerry Brady 127 mins
Colm Moran 134 mins
Paddy Farrelly 139 mins
Conor O'Meara 141 mins
Ruth Lynam 152 mins
Justin Rea 163 mins
Don Short 174 mins
Barry Tennyson 200 mins
Paul O'Grady 264 mins
Mick Kellett 248 mins
Charlie O'Connell 406 mins
Paul Keville DNF

It was a wild, wet & blustery day in Wicklow with the cloud very low at times but these conditions were grist to the mill to 3Roc's Ger Butler who blasted around the course and now looks a certainty to claim the Navigator of the Year title. On the ladies side if Ruth Lynam runs NC3 she will claim the woman's title. Detail of the last race to be published shortly.
Justin ReaSep 20 2010, 12:46pmThanks Philip. Another well run event.

Amazingly, most of those that did NC1 got within a few minutes of their time for this event. I was dubious of how accurately someone could set a 15k course in the same timeframe where open mountain was involved. You were spot on!

Well done, and thanks again for all the time spent dropping and collecting controls, let alone the vigil at start/finish.
Paul MahonSep 21 2010, 9:42amGood event Philip so thanks to you and your Setanta club colleagues for the work involved - Not that hard navigationally but certainly somewhat challenging and good old fashioned rough open mountain terrain to boot.

I see Michael Butler has disappeared from the results between this thread and the results tab.

This should read Mike Burton, an aussie that ran in several IMRA races round 2001 with some degree of success who is back in Ireland for a short while.
Philip's handwriting obviously not his strong point - setting nav courses is though :-)!
bruce shenkerSep 21 2010, 2:56pmI thought that there was a familiar face from the past in that photo, if mike burton is reading this hello from america, unfortunately I am not around in Ireland anymore, I assume you are still doing astronomy
Kevin O'RiordanSep 21 2010, 9:57pmThat result is fixed now.

-Kevin.