Irish Mountain
Running Association

European Trial

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
gerry bradyApr 26 2009, 8:18pmRace will start in Drumgoff and run up Glenmalure valley before turning up the zig zags trail. Junior women will finish at the gate at the top of the zig zags trail. Senior men/women and junior men will finish at Cloghernagh summit. Course photos link on event page.
gerry bradyMay 19 2009, 12:27amTraining run this Sunday 24th starting at 10:00 from hotel in Glenmalure / Drumgoff. Bring rain jacket and trail shoes if you have them. For juniors we will try to organise a lift for the initial road section. Please contact gerry . brady at imra.ie if queries or coming along.
Mick HanneyMay 24 2009, 9:49pmNice photos Gerry. Some great views of the mountains. Doesn't quite capture the muck and bog though :-)
Gerry BradyJun 4 2009, 8:14pmThere is a recce of the trial course this Sunday starting from Drumgoff at 10:30. All welcome.

This race is the national inter-clubs championships so a great opportunity for clubs to get national championship level medals. You must have recorded your club in the laptop database if we have a laptop operator (a dual system using club sheets may also be used, these would be available at registration).

Volunteers are needed for recording times and places at the junior and senior finishes (uphill races) and for driving ahead and behind of the race for the initial 2.3 km road stretch to alert traffic, and for many other jobs! A laptop operator would be particularly welcome. Volunteer directly or via gerry.brady at imra.ie

Ben Crane may be available to make a video of the race (weather permitting) so here's your chance to see yourself on the big screen!

Lastly form in this race plus earlier in the season will be used to select men's and women's teams for Snowdon (3 per team). If you are interested you are strongly recommended to run this race.
i;; i'''Jun 4 2009, 11:32pmanyone know any were to stay near the race
Mick HanneyJun 5 2009, 8:57ami;; i'''
(It helps if you use your real name in postings..)

The Glenmalure lodge is at the start. Failing that, Laragh isn't too far away along the military road and theres B&Bs a plenty there.

Cheers,

Mick

Joe LalorJun 5 2009, 10:03amThere is a new hostel opened in Aughavanagh. I dont have detail of it with me at work but it was reviewed in last issue of Mountain Log. It would be a lot cheaper than Glenmalure Lodge
Ben CraneJun 5 2009, 12:10pmYep. If the weather's good I'll bring me camera and try and get yer best sides. Don't forget your make-up and wash your runners or you'll not make the final cut...
tim brownJun 6 2009, 2:29pm any one know the number of Aughavanagh hostel

thanks
tim
Shay FoodyJun 6 2009, 5:43pmHi Tim

Contact details are on their website: http://www.lugnaquillahousehostel.com/
tim brownJun 6 2009, 8:07pm
thats great shay

thanks very much

tim
nick hoeyJun 8 2009, 9:33pmdoes anyone know how many juniors {men} qualify for interntionals??
what races and were can i go to try and qualify for internationals??
Gerry BradyJun 9 2009, 9:01amA full junior men team for the europeans is four athletes. The inter-clubs championship this Saturday is the trial race plus other form will be taken into account. A team will be sent if the standard is sufficiently high.

Two volunteers to-date ... two are needed at the summit finish and one at the junior women finish plus two drivers for the road stretch plus the usual registration and post-race duties.
Val FentonJun 9 2009, 1:53pmHi
Just wondering is this event only for people wishing to be selected for European Championship? Or can anyone attend as usual for a 'normal' imra race?
Rene BorgJun 9 2009, 1:55pmHi Val, anyone can attend this race who feel physically ready for it(indeed we'd recommend it) and the race is also the Irish Club Championships (best 3 to score).

So if you want your club to have a shot at the 2009 title, then this is the race!
Rene BorgJun 10 2009, 3:36pmMyself and Jason Kehoe will be doing a recce of this route tonight. We'll meet in Roundwood at 17:30 carpooling.

Expect to start from Drumgoff around 18:15. Give me a shout on rene dot borg at imra dot ie.
Niamh O CeallaighJun 10 2009, 3:51pmI know it is late in the day to pass comment on this race, but I only just realised that it is the Club Championship race.

I am really dissappointed that the Irish Mountain Running Club Championship race is more than 50 per cent on flat road. It is also uphill only. This is not representative of hill running in Ireland.

While I understand that the course has been selected for its suitablility as a European Trial race, it is completely unsuitable for the club championships.

I, along with the vast majority of runners have no European Championship aspirations, however nearly 50 per cent of us proudly run for our club on a weekly basis.

Please, can the Club Championship be an up/down mountain/hill race that reflects typical mountain races in Ireland.
This would be the fairest way to find the best mountain running club in Ireland.

Niamh
Rene BorgJun 10 2009, 4:19pmThe climb terminates at the top after a run of 6.5km. The flattish road bit ends at around 2.5km. Leaving 2.5km on road and 4km on open mountain, so the race does not have more than 50% road but rather is 38% road.

Jim FitzharrisJun 10 2009, 4:25pmStill 37.9% too much............

I appreciate that a lot of time and effort has gone into organising this (and I will not be taking part for other compelling reasons) but I believe Niamh is correct in her view about the extent of road in this race. I would have no problem with the uphill only - sorry Niamh, I know that descending is one of your fortes!

Cheers,

Jim.
Peter O'FarrellJun 10 2009, 4:45pmThese are very valid points and hopefully will be taken into consideration for next year's inter-club race, tarmac is unfortunate.
As Niamh says, it's too late to alter things for this year but if it's any consolation it will be on an up and down course next year should the inter-clubs be again bundled with the Euro trail race (the Europeans are uphill only every second year)
There is the possibility of bundling the inter-clubs with an Irish Championship "traditional" race instead of a trail race which by it's nature is unlike the usual Irish race.
In the meantime, there are medals going a begging this Saturday for both clubman and women so get at least 3 of your club out and as the little furry fella says, it could be you :)
Rene BorgJun 10 2009, 9:24pmMy opinion on it: I agree with Peter that tarmac is unfortunate.

In a perfect world we should live up to WMRA regulation 3.2.3. which states "must have less than 20% on asphalted road". This since the race is a preparation for a WMRA event.

Generally IMRA can't follow the rules as many of our courses are already in breach just take a look at them here: http://www.wmra.ch/files/microsoft_word_-_technical_regulations.pdf

The WMRA Uphill races are always 12k races on good trail of which there are none in Ireland. The choice is also modest just to find sustainable climbs of 5k or more (Lugnacoille, Carrauntoohil, Galtymore, Clohernagh, and Camaderry are some of the few). Logistics also play in. Incidentally, probably the best climb was designed last year by NIMRA on a long climb to Slieve Donard.

So the Clohernagh route has come into being pretty much out of necessity. Having run it tonight I must say it was a very interesting climb but the 4 kilometres to the top alone would be too short.

Should the European Trial be the Club Championships. I'd say there's a good debate to be had on the topic. Last year it was a good success on the up-and-down course. This year it has been moved because the County Championships take place on the Up-and-Down Course.

Some of the pros of combining it this way would be:

- Higher likelihood of having the very best club runners out
- Participation of Northern clubs making it an "All-Irish" title
- Variation from year to year between up/down and up only throws caters to different strengths
- Make the Trial race interesting to people who aren't interested/capable of qualifying.

In my opinion last year's European Trial in Crone Wood was an absolute classic of a route and of a race and it would have graced it to have more competitors.

I'll leave others to go over the cons! :)
Rene BorgJun 10 2009, 9:58pmDid a measurement today of only the off-road part of the course.

Myself and Jason were taking it easy so decided to start at the end of the tarmac road so this is how the off-road climb itself tallies:

Distance: 4.01km
Ascent: 674m
Descent (yes there's some!): -21m
Ascent Grade: 21.2% (average)/63% (max)
Descent Grade: -16.9% (average)/-68.1% (max)

Also according to whatever algorithm Garmin use to determine this, 3.66 out of the 4.01 kilometres are "actual" ascent. Which means you have about 400m of descents and flats to "relax" (or attack!).

For comparison the Carrauntoohil race route has an average ascent grade of 18.7% and a maximum grade of 42.1%, so while shorter I think its fair to say there'll be a good bit of suffering involved in summitting Saturday...
Gerry BradyJun 11 2009, 12:39amLinks to an information note and club entry sheet are now available in the race details window. Another summit finish volunteer would be welcome.

It is great to see the inter-clubs championship attracting debate on the forum.

I can see an argument for detaching the race from the European trial in the future. Perhaps using the Leinster championships Lugnacoille up and down race as its host and also maybe nominating that race as a Leinster league event (yes on a Sunday) to get a large field out!

Re this Saturday the fastest runners may run the road stretch in 8-9 minutes and the climb in 27-28 minutes so the road is around 22% of race time and less for slower runners. The climb up to Cloghernagh is a great route, tough with tremendous views of the valley opening up as you get higher. It has an alpine feel to it. The climb is also the route for the Leinster championships race on August 23 and you get to race back down in August.

The European senior men race has a flat first 3 km and then a longer but less steep climb. I think many runners will be glad of the road stretch on Saturday to get their heart rates up before the climb. It will also thin the field as the zig-zags are a narrow enough path. The road will also introduce a tactical element to the race as runners decide whether to hold back or to go out hard and hold on. The race on Saturday is basically road then steep trail then open mountain on a rough eroded path so plenty of variety. So give it a go I guarantee you won’t be talking about the road bit in the pub!

The junior girls race is 4 km and I think they will be glad some of that is flat!

Lastly weather permitting Ben Crane will be making a video so wear your best and be in it ... or be watching your mates in it.
Ben CraneJun 12 2009, 5:04pmDuring tomorrows race I intend be on the hill with my camera to capture the pain and misery of runners as they ascend. Gerry thinks it would also be good to capture the anxiety and nervousness of the runners as they await said pain and misery at the start line.

Unfortunately we only have one video camera. Does any one coming to the race have a video camera that they are prepared to bring along or are there any volunteers who could do some filming?

It would be much appreciated and who knows, you may see your name up in lights!

On you tube.
John LangenbachJun 12 2009, 7:46pmIs there any issue with space for parking at the start? Also, I'll be coming round the M50 from D15 in the morning but will accept or offer a lift from/to anyone on the way.

One video sounds like quite enough. (And possibly one too many)
kevin KeaneJun 12 2009, 8:55pmHi john/anyone else with room in their car; I need a lift to the race, I know it's short notice but any offers appreciated! I'm coming from the city and can be anywhere in the Dublin foothills....
(also, I was originally hoping to bike back from the race so if you can carry one very clean road bike down, you won't need to bring me back!!!)
kevin KeaneJun 12 2009, 9:06pmHi john/anyone else with room in their car; I need a lift to the race, I know it's short notice but any offers appreciated! I'm coming from the city and can be anywhere in the Dublin foothills....
(also, I was originally hoping to bike back from the race so if you can carry one very clean road bike down, you won't need to bring me back!!!)
Brian Mac MahonJun 12 2009, 9:07pmKevin,
Give me a shout at 087-7944166, I'll be passing by the M50.
Rgds,
Brian Mac Mahon
Gerry BradyJun 12 2009, 10:45pmThere is parking but hotel guests and other fans of Wicklow will be using it so please car pool as much as possible from places like the main road junction in Laragh.
Paul MitchellJun 13 2009, 9:28pmMessage for Ben Crane

Ben,

I shot some video and stills in the area around where the Junior Ladies finished.
I have 3 clips of around 30s/11mb each in .asf format.

You're welcome to them if they are any use to you. Just let me know how I can get them to you.

Regards,

Paul
Rene BorgJun 14 2009, 10:58amGerry and myself have put up club results. Gerry's official race report is up and I have added one focusing on the details of the club competition.

For a more personal account of the day, expect a private write-up on my blog today. And keep the race reports coming would be nice to hear some people's experiences with this type of event both from the leaders and the people out there to learn and experience the atmosphere.
Rene BorgJun 14 2009, 12:35pmI cannot but comment on the photos. First of all they are great, one of the best captures of an event I've seen.

Second, I the mass photos are particularly good. The hulking, trodding figures with tired faces in almost endless procession show the severity of the route so well! There is almost a feeling of resignation about it, yet the opposite was really the case.
Ben CraneJun 14 2009, 2:19pmPaul,

Not sure if you could email them to me, they may be to large, depending on your email account. Try sending one to my gmail account, I think it will handle up 20mb - berocra at gmail dot com.

I'm looking at the video now so should have it up later today.

Cheers

Ben
Ben CraneJun 15 2009, 8:02amVideo now up on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPi5EUS3Z3I

Few technical problems so you'll have to excuse the poor sound. Also we're missing the race start.

Ben

Ben CraneJun 15 2009, 8:08amVideo also up on European Trial event page.
Alan CorcoranJun 15 2009, 10:29amHi Gerry,
Had a great time the other day-for a first go it was a hard one but i got a great buzz out of it. Was looking at the results and I know it doesnt matter a huge deal but I had come in behind Karen Duggan and placed a time (by my own watch) of 52.37 but I'm down as 57.33. Would it be possible to check this? (its more for myself than anything else-sorry.)
Thanks Gerry,
Al
Gerry BradyJun 15 2009, 12:39pmVideo looks great Ben, nice one, can see how the time gaps between runners stretched between the foot of the climb and a few minutes later up the climb.
Rene BorgJun 15 2009, 12:47pmBen, and ask for next time please, could you place yourself in spots where I'm likely to be running not walking?

I know it won't be easy!
Ben CraneJun 15 2009, 2:12pmRene, I'll speed it up next time you're on. Like Benny Hill.
Paul MitchellJun 15 2009, 5:19pm
Here are 3 additional short video clips, taken just below the gate/style leading on to the mountain, for you all to admire yourselves in.

Leading Junior Men making it look suspiciously easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quMWvnIDuk8

Leading Ladies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBx8-h20slY

A little bit further back through the field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRwWkTCB50
Gerry BradyJun 15 2009, 7:49pmAlan
I have passed it on to Sinead Roche, we can see you in the finish photos just behind Karen.
Gerry
Sinéad RocheJun 15 2009, 8:02pmHi Alan, Gerry,

That's done now. I checked the race results sheets and you were right, I had misread the 52 as a 57. Apologies for that.

Sinead
Bill Mc CauslandJun 15 2009, 9:18pmHi all.
well done in staging a very good event at the weekend.
Could you please let me know either by forun or by my email the teams which have been selected for the Europeans as I had some athletes from Omagh down and will need to adjust training as per competition demands.
My email is billmccausland@btinternet.com

Regards

Bill
Paul MitchellJun 15 2009, 11:56pmI've posted some of the photos I took on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39481536@N06/sets/72157619705643175/

Paul MitchellJun 16 2009, 12:03amI've posted some of the photos I took on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39481536@N06/sets/72157619705643175/