Irish Mountain
Running Association

Three Rock - Ticknock

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Mick HanneyMay 14 2008, 11:55amHi,

Is registration this evening at the pub (as per Three Rock Winter) or at Three Rock car park?

Cheers.
Barry MinnockMay 14 2008, 12:17pmAlso, would it be possible to put a description of route up?
I understand that the route will be the same as summer last year and not as illustrated in the map. My recollection is:
- up boneshaker
- half way up fairy castle and turn left
- around to track junction and sharp right up to fairy
- straight down off fairy, back via boneshaker and taking road to right down to finish line
Make sense? Correct?
Moire O'SullivanMay 14 2008, 12:39pmHi Barry, myself and Eoin will be marking the course tonight. Your route is good except that, in order to make it a little longer (so as to spread people out more and avoid finish bottlenecks, and so as to repeat the route done last year), up to Fairy Castle is correct - then you'll go straight over the top of Fairy Castle towards the Wicklow Way. Turn right at the bottom of the boggy descent, along the Woka-Woka (up and down) path, to the forest edge, then turn right again to go up that path that leads back to the route down off Fairy Castle. Will return the same way you came (tarmac, in a mountain race, I think not!), only cutting through the forest just above the main gate at the end to get to the finish.

Don't worry, it'll all the marked and marshalls all over the shop.
Aaron O'DonohueMay 14 2008, 12:43pmI recall that this was the proposed route for last year but was marked differently on the night.

In my view the route as Barry described would be a good one as it rules out all taramc (bar 50m near the start/finish) and totals about 8km

Note:
1. the turn left half way up Fairy should takes us over to Two Rock before turning right to Fairy and back down the front to Boneshaker and home....

2. the descent goes all the way down Boneshaker then right thru the little rock drop off and back in left again 25m lower where we traverse back thru the puddly bit (John Shields was taking photies here last year). Then finally down the wide trail thru the felled trees...
Niamh Ni CholmainMay 14 2008, 1:02pmLast year, the route was marked differently to that published on the website. This was accidental, but did upset some people who had done recces, etc.

Looking at the map on the site for this year, it does not seem to match any route run last year.

The map shown on the event page shows the route going up to the masts (3rock?) through the trees and then main track as opposed to up the boneshaker.

Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Rachel CinnsealachMay 14 2008, 1:11pmFolks,

The route will be as Moire has stated above. The map can not be rectified before tonight, but it will be for future races. Sorry about the confusion.

It is really important the people carpool this evening as we not not want lots of cars blocking up the roads around Three rock.

Registration will take place at three rock car park and prize giving will be in Taylors. I will not be on email for the rest of today so if anyone has any questions, please give ome a ring on 087 2561906.

rach.
Moire O'SullivanMay 14 2008, 1:40pmJust to be clear, the way Aaron describes the route back is correct:

Descent down Boneshaker then right thru the little rock drop off and back in left again 25m lower where we traverse back thru the puddly bit (John Shields was taking photies here last year). Then finally down the wide trail thru the felled trees...

And don't worry, we have a whole roll of red and white tape at the ready to make this very, very, very clear.
Rene BorgMay 16 2008, 11:00amTeam results are now up. Fabulous to see 10 men's team completing on the evening. Didn't check the records, but that must be an all time high :)