Irish Mountain
Running Association

2024 World Masters Classic, Spain

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Turlough ConwayJan 15 2024, 12:21pmLast year in Madeira the Irish Masters Team achieved our greatest away medal haul (42) of which built on the tremendously successful home Championships in Madeira. This year’s Championships are being hosted in the stunning location of Canfranc, Spanish Pyrennees. As well as the uphill (6k) and long (17k) course there is a new ultra event (34k) this year.
We are hoping to build on the team’s previous successes in medal haul, and in participation we are hoping to have full Irish Teams in all categories and in all races.
This event is not just for those seeking to medal, any entrant will help the Irish Team and give the participant a feel for classic continental races. Participants who can sing, play an instrument or spin a few yarns and generally enjoy themselves doing the sport they love are also encouraged to come along. Please consider answering Ireland’s call and please spread the word wide.
Canfranc is in the Aragon Valley which connects Spain and France. Hannibal, Napoleon and others used the valley to march huge armies between the countries. More recently, an International railway was built with a massive and beautiful station in Canfranc (once the biggest train station in Europe). The station was used for a famous scene in the movie Dr Zhivago. (if you haven’t heard of Dr Zhivago you may be too young for this trip). The main main settlement in the area is the Cathedral town of Jaca at the bottom of the drive and only 18 mins drive from race start. The city of Pamplona is also only 80 mins away.
We have set up a Whatsapp group to support this effort and we will use that and here as the main sources of information. Masters events are not subsidised ,but the Whatsapp group will have very current information and will be exploring economies of scale etc as they can apply. Please join the conversation here and for the Whatsapp group just text 0-eight-9 6-zero-61371 (mention who you are ect)
Turlough ConwayJan 15 2024, 2:45pmHere is the Event website: https://canfranc2024wmmrc.com/
Turlough ConwayApr 3 2024, 4:48pmHi folks just upping this again.
THe organization for this years Masters is gathering pace. We have plenty of information on accommodation and transport options. All (O35s) welcome. Those who competed last year and want to go again this year please touch base. turloughconway at gmail or details above. Also looking urgently for 060s for the Euroepan Masters in Madeira. Usually Ryanair out Wednesday, back Sunday and event right beside airport. Easy peasy! Reply to seperate thread by Sarah Whelan (or here) message below.

'Message from Esme.
Matt and I registered today for the European masters off road championships in machico, Madeira which is only 5 minutes from funchal airport. Just wondering if you know of any w60 's interested to make a team. Need 2 more. Only 6 /7 days left to enter.
If you contact me, I’ll put you in touch with Esme.
Turlough ConwayApr 12 2024, 7:51pm"Matt Alexander looking for one M/70 to fill up the Irish team at the European Masters Off Road Running Championships in Machico, Madeira (very near the airport). Great chance of team medal success. Vacancies for W60 also with good chance of team medal success too. Entries close Tuesday 16th April."
Mrs U W GavinApr 14 2024, 8:12pmI'm just asking about F60, have you got a team, thank you, una
Esme AlexanderApr 15 2024, 9:54amUNA are you interested in running in the European Masters Championships in Madeira on the 10th May. I have entered the 9 K. Closing date tomorrow, Tuesday. Esme.
Mrs U W GavinApr 15 2024, 4:26pmEsme I'm sorry I have been reminded I have family wedding 10th May weekend. Good luck
Turlough ConwayApr 15 2024, 10:08pmReminder: Euro masters closing tomorrow. Canfranc World Masters open till Sept 1st.