Irish Mountain
Running Association

Slí Chorcaí Half

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Michael McSweeneyJan 5 2024, 8:31pmhttps://www.plotaroute.com/route/2480141?units=km

The above is the link to the Slì Chorcaì Half route.

The route starts in the hills above Kealkil, on a section of the Beara Breifne Way. The route follows the red arrows of the Pòc an Tairbh trail as far as Carriganass Castle, where it joins the Sli Fhionnbharra (St Finbars Way), and its yellow way mark arrows,to the finish at The Top Of The Rock campsite in Drimoleague.

Less than 80 places left, so don't hang around.
Jenna LeetchJan 20 2024, 1:52pmHi was looking at doing this race but was wondering how you get back to the start?
Robbie WilliamsJan 20 2024, 3:04pmWe just leave you there ;)

The registration is at the end point.
You park in Drimoleague and we bus you to start point in Kealkill and you run back to Drimoleague
Jenna LeetchJan 20 2024, 3:19pmOk that makes sense, thanks for getting back to me.
Jenna LeetchJan 23 2024, 12:25pmSecond question, what time is registration for the half?
Michael McSweeneyJan 23 2024, 2:22pmJenny.
Registration for the Half will be from approximately 930am to 1030am at the Top of the Rock, Drimoleague. Shuttle bus for the race start in Kealkil should be leaving around 1045am. Times aren't set in stone yet, as we need to confirm with the bus company, but the times I have outlined will be pretty close. Full race briefing with exact registration details and times will be sent to each runner in the week before the race.
Micheal.
Robbie WilliamsJan 23 2024, 2:25pmIt will
All be in a pre race email but probably around 10 ish
Michael McSweeneyJan 23 2024, 5:36pmHi all,
I have just received word from David at the Top of the Rock campsite, that one of the pods has come available for the weekend. So if you are still looking for accommodation for one or both nights contact David at https://www.topoftherock.ie/contact/

Micheal.
Ciaran GossJan 24 2024, 10:46pmHi guys! How are you all? I’m coming down from Belfast for this race and I’m looking at the option of flying to Kerry because it be cheaper than me paying for fuel down to cork from Belfast plus the day before a race don’t fancy spending 6/7 hours in a car! I was wondering though if anyone would be coming past Kerry airport on Friday and could carpool with me. Of course I’ll pay petrol and even a coffee! And if possible drop me back for my flight on the Saturday afternoon after the race! Many thanks everybody.
Dáithí de MórdhaJan 25 2024, 10:25pmHi Ciarán,

I'm planning on going down from Kerry on Saturday morning, and will be coming back after the race if that's any good to you? That's if life doesn't get in the way in the meantime!
jerry murphyJan 27 2024, 3:24pmHi Daithi,

Where in Kerry are you driving from? I'm in Killarney and would be happy to share fuel costs if you have space?
Dáithí de MórdhaJan 27 2024, 11:12pmHi Jerry,

I'm in West Kerry so I'll be going through Killarney, and you'd be more than welcome to come along. I haven't registered just yet as I must get a few ducks in a row, but I'm 90% sure I'll be heading down
jerry murphyJan 28 2024, 11:27amHi Daithi,

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on this forum, will you post when\ if you purchase ticket?
Dáithí de MórdhaJan 28 2024, 8:39pmWill do Jerry
Gediminas DaskauskasJan 31 2024, 1:35pmHi, i have booking for sli chorcai half, but was involved in road traffic accident and wont be able to attend, is there some email for this event i can contact and let organisers know? Just incase there need spaces for event
Deirdre GalvinJan 31 2024, 1:47pmHi, wondering if anybody running might have a dog-loving teen who is interested in some easy pocket money? We are staying on Friday night in our camper. If possible, I will have my little, black and tan terrier with me. I will need someone to dog sit in the camper while I run on Saturday. She is a super-easy little dog, and will happily just curl up for the few hours. I just don't want her to be left alone. As said, I will pay.
If interested, send me a message on zero-eight-seven seven-six-zero-eight-five-zero-eight.
Julie ByrneJan 31 2024, 6:44pmTo the chap who needs a lift from Kerry Airport we could pick you up but are not coming home till Sunday so if this helps you can send a message for Julie and Brian ok
Colette O' DonoghueJan 31 2024, 8:23pmHi @Gediminas, I will take note that you will not be there. Thanks for letting us know. Speedy recovery to you!
jerry murphyFeb 1 2024, 7:53amOnly 5 spaces left Daithi!
Colin CallananFeb 1 2024, 3:43pmI'm staying in Bantry so could bring people to the race Saturday morning (coming from Galway).

Ciaran Goss, I'll be passing the airport Friday evening + going back that direction on Saturday.
Colin CallananFeb 1 2024, 3:47pmEdit: I *might* be going back that way Saturday but I may end up sticking around for a good while as a spectator on Sat eve, so can't guarantee (depends on weather / tiredness, etc).
Colin CallananFeb 1 2024, 3:48pmOnly 2 spots left!!
Dáithí de MórdhaFeb 1 2024, 7:23pmI'm in Jerry!

I'll put the car up on the carpool, and I'll have space for another two. Send me a message 'deibhinn at Gmail' and we'll arrange a pickup
jerry murphyFeb 2 2024, 9:27amSold out unfortunaltely.

Good luck at it.
Donal O KeeffeFeb 5 2024, 12:32pmHi there, I have registered for the half next weekend but will not be able to make it unfortunately. I’m wondering is it possible to swap/donate/sell my entry? Thanks in advance!
Michael McSweeneyFeb 5 2024, 3:56pmHi Donal
Sorry to hear you won't make it.
No transfer, swapping, donating or selling of IMRA entries allowed.
Micheal.
Dominic ManningFeb 5 2024, 7:49pmHi guys,

Any possibility of meeting ye at the start at Carriganass Castle instead of initially going to Top of the Rock? I live in the Kealkill area and have my 2024 IMRA number already (can get a lift from Top of Rock at finish).

No worries if it's too awkward for the race organisers or against policy.

Thanks, Dom
Donal O KeeffeFeb 5 2024, 9:37pmThanks for the quick response Michael! Best of luck with the event!
Peter ConwayFeb 6 2024, 7:20pmHi all - Is Drimoleague car park, far from the Top of the Rock? Is it a short walk/shuttle bus?
Also, will it be possible to leave gear on the bus and collect it at the end?

Thanks a lot
Michael McSweeneyFeb 6 2024, 8:23pmHi Peter.
Registration is at the Top of the Rock Campsite. This is about 1km walk from Drimoleague village. There will be limited parking available at the Top of the Rock. People staying at the campsite and the Ultra runners will likely have most of these places taken.
There are 2 car parks in Drimoleague village. One next to the Centra supermarket, the other at the old railway station. Both are located about 1km from the Top of the Rock campsite. That's a Ballyvourney kilometres so allow a little bit longer.
There is no shuttle bus between the village and campsite. The Top of the Rock is well signed from the village, follow the way marked walking route up past the church.
The bus taking you from SIGN IN at the Top of the Rock to the RACE START in Kealkil, will NOT be returning to the Top of the Rock. Please do not leave gear on the bus.
Peter ConwayFeb 8 2024, 8:14amMorning all

Am I correct in presuming that we will be able to leave a gear bag at Top of the rock for collection until after the race?

Thanks
Robbie WilliamsFeb 8 2024, 9:02amYa there will be a gazebo there
Darren CroweFeb 8 2024, 12:46pmHi, can anyone familiar with the route give some idea of the ratio of road/fireroad, singletrack and open mountain. Trying to decide if grip or comfort is the most important thing.
Colin CallananFeb 8 2024, 3:18pmGood question Darren. Im not familiar with the route. Looking at the map, even though it seems like a lot of it is on boreens, there are a few sections (like the last big hill before the alpacca farm) where I'd say it's off road and could be a mudfest after all the recent rain. I'm using my altra Lone peaks as they're fine on roads but have decent grip for a bit of mud.
Robbie WilliamsFeb 8 2024, 3:38pmGo for the grip

Bit of road at start for few Km but fields v muddy and off camber
Patricia RyanFeb 10 2024, 10:53pmMassive thanks to Colette and all the volunteers who put on an excellent event today. Tough going but really well organised. The route was marked very well too. Top of the Rock facilities were excellent and the pizza truck was a great idea.
Dáithí de MórdhaFeb 11 2024, 9:42pmHuge thanks to Colette and the army of volunteers for an exceptional event. From the free buff, to the pre-race sauna (bus #1) and the ice box (bus #2), to the hospitality after, it was worth every penny of the registration fee. You'd pay twice as much for half the event at a road race!
Colin CallananFeb 12 2024, 3:00pmWanted to echo the sentiments above. Well done to Colette and the whole team, this was a really well run race! It was also great craic and there was a mighty welcome at the finish line. Who ate the most pizzas? I know a few who went back for seconds, and...more? :)

Really appreciated the aid-station halfway and definitely was happy that I didn't have to carry water for the full 23k. Hoping to get some similar epic events going in Connacht this coming summer, stay tuned.
Brian FlannellyFeb 12 2024, 8:01pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Colin CallananFeb 13 2024, 3:58pmThanks Brian.

Do you know already if this same event will be going ahead again next year? A few people have been asking me. I would do it again if possible.
Robbie WilliamsFeb 13 2024, 9:58pmYes