Irish Mountain
Running Association

Slí Chorcaí Ultra

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Martin StevensonJan 4 2024, 8:27amAnyone booked accommodation looking to share if anyone interested
Michael McSweeneyJan 5 2024, 8:05pmplotaroute.com/route/2480112?units=km

The above is the link to the full route of the Sli Chorcai Ultra.

Starting in the Gaeltacht Village of Baile Mhic Ìre, next to Tigh Ui Scanaill. Finishing at The Top Of The Rock campsite in Drimoleague. From 6.5km onwards the route follows the yellow way mark arrows of the Sli Gaeltacht Mhùscraì to Gugan Barra. From Gugan the route follows the yellow way mark arrows of the Sli Fhionnbharra (St Finbars Way), past Carriganass Castle and finishing at The Top Of The Rock.
Robbie WilliamsJan 6 2024, 7:07amHello ULTRA runners

Accomodation:
If you would like to stay at Top of the Rock the night before to save you a long drive (it’s Gona be a long day), ir stay that evening and have a few beer around the campfire, here is some info for you ….

Top of the Rock. Some info about the Race HQ and accommodation: We will block out the whole place for IMRA use that weekend. This includes… (1) Parking for all cars. (2) Full use of our main building .. two full kitchens with tea towels supplied. Dining area for 60 people. Games room, Wi-Fi. Showers hot all day €1 for five mins (3) Campfire each evening from 6.30-10.30pm. Access to farm and walkway around farm . ACCOMMODATION Use of two luxury pods with toilet and double bed and pull out sofa …. Room for 2-3 persons . Cost of pod €100 PER NIGHT. Bring your own duvets and pillows Use of six family size pods (toilet in main building 50m away) with underfloor heating .. there is a double sofa bed , a single folding bed and extra mattresses : room for up to 4 persons. Cost of pod €90 per night. Bring own duvet and pillows . Bring your own tent €15 per person per night. Bring your campervan €20 per person per night. Mattress on main room floor €10 Use the Booking Tab (Green) on the Top of the Rock Website or contact David Ross directly at the Top of the Rock Campsite to book accommodation. Tell him you are with IMRA. First come, first served. Don't be that guy sleeping under a Honda 50 the night before the Ultra. topoftherock.ie Make your own arrangements re who shares the pods.
Rory O DonovanJan 8 2024, 4:31pmHi Robbie and Michael. Just checking the map/compass requirements for this one? If required do you know whether Series 85 covers the full route? Or would it do to have the route map downloaded to your watch? Also, would you have a rough idea what time the bus will be leaving Drimoleague the morning of the race. Thanks, Rory.
Robbie WilliamsJan 8 2024, 7:14pmHi Rory

Bus will leave approx 6:30am

As far as map is concerned, you just need a means of navigation.

If you have it on the watch that’s fine. Otherwise a map that covers the route
Rory O DonovanJan 8 2024, 8:14pmThanks Robbie.
Robbie WilliamsJan 9 2024, 8:51amSLI ULTRA TEE SHIRTS

Hi Lads

I need to put in order for these in the next week so just if you want to make sure you get your size can you sign up before Friday 12th Jan please

Thank you
Michael McSweeneyJan 9 2024, 4:21pmDoing a reccee of the first 50ish km of the Slì Chorcaì Ultra route on Saturday morning. I can't start mad early. I'll be at Carriganass Castle Kealkil around 930am. We can drive over to the start in Ballyvourney from there, and run back. Easy. :-)
Pierre O ConghaileJan 16 2024, 10:50amWould anyone have a GPX of the route? thanks
Eoin Mac MahonJan 16 2024, 12:12pmhttps://www.plotaroute.com/routeplayer/2480112
Kevin KellyJan 21 2024, 4:24pmIf the bus is leaving at 6.30am to bring people to the start,what time is the registration open that morning???
Robbie WilliamsJan 21 2024, 5:22pm5:30am at Top of Rock

And not a moment sooner ! We need our zzzzzzzzzz :)
Kevin KellyJan 21 2024, 7:41pmI hear ye and your porridge,cheers Robbie
Adolfo GarciaJan 22 2024, 2:35pmCan we register on the day at the start line? Was thinking on getting to the start and then be collected at the finish line. If not possible will drive early morning to the finish line and register there and take the bus.
Robbie WilliamsJan 22 2024, 3:30pmWe can’t Adolfo
All the tracker crew and registration will be at Drimoleague
Robbie WilliamsJan 22 2024, 3:31pmAdolfo
I’m sure there could be a good crew coming from cork city for a group to carpool

If ye want to start a Sli ultra carpool then ye can liase
Michael McSweeneyJan 23 2024, 5:35pmHi all,
I have just received word from David at the Top of the Rock campsite, that one of the pods has come available for the weekend. So if you are still looking for accommodation for one or both nights contact David at https://www.topoftherock.ie/contact/

Micheal.
Ciaran GossJan 30 2024, 3:24pmHi guys! How are you all? I’m coming down from Belfast for this race and I’m looking at the option of flying to Kerry because it be cheaper than me paying for fuel down to cork from Belfast plus the day before a race don’t fancy spending 6/7 hours in a car! I was wondering though if anyone would be coming past Kerry airport on Friday and could carpool with me. Of course I’ll pay petrol and even a coffee! And if possible drop me back for my flight on the Saturday afternoon after the race! Many thanks everybody.
Andre Van BarneveldFeb 1 2024, 9:57amHi, I've never done this route before, how much is on roads, what surface are the trails? Just trying to figure shoe options. Thanks
Michael McSweeneyFeb 1 2024, 8:03pmAndre
About half the route is on roads, but most of these are little country roads with grass down the middle.
Most of the off road is "off road". A few forestry trails, but mostly bog, mountain and farm fields. The ground is nice and soft and slippery at the moment.

The mix of terrain is spread pretty evenly throughout the route.

Grip or comfort? I'm going for grip, but my body hurts all over anyway, and they make good hip and knee replacements in Cork now. :-)
Andre Van BarneveldFeb 1 2024, 9:21pmThanks Michael
Sounds delightful, from road to bog. If it's dry cushioning, if it's wet grip and new knees and hips haha
Con HalpinFeb 4 2024, 5:57pmHey guys,
Do I have to prebook a place for a tent the night before?
Michael McSweeneyFeb 4 2024, 6:08pmCon,
Yes, you will need to pre book. If you message David at the Top of the Rock campsite.
Micheal.
Roman van der KrogtFeb 5 2024, 7:31pmHi,

Just got the race instructions. I know there was a question before about registering on the starting line (not possible -- fair enough), but now I see it's possible to register on the Friday night. If I do so, can I make my own way to the start on Saturday morning?

Thanks,
Roman.
Adolfo GarciaFeb 5 2024, 10:34pmGPX MAP from phone is enough or what maps do we need to get to cover the whole route?
Paul MelvilleFeb 6 2024, 6:28amCan I carry a flashing red light for my pack as oppose to a high viz?
david yelvertonFeb 6 2024, 12:36pmHi Adolfo.
OS maps 79 and 85 cover the route.
The gpx file should suffice though.
Make sure your devices are fully charged beforehand.
Regards,
David.
david yelvertonFeb 6 2024, 12:41pmHi Paul,
There are sections on open roads, it is encouraged for runners to practice due care and diligence whilst navigating these sections. 'Be Safe, Be Seen.'
Regards,
David.
Colin CallananFeb 6 2024, 1:46pmI'm doing the half but would like to stick around to watch the ultras coming in. I'm assuming finish / prizegiving could be as late as 7 or 8pm, based on the checkpoint cut offs?
Michael McSweeneyFeb 6 2024, 8:30pmHi Colin,
Judging from past races on similar terrain, there could be Ultra runners coming in from around 3pm onwards, and like you said up until 7 or 8pm.
Feel free to stick around, enjoy the refreshments and cheer them in.
Colin CallananFeb 6 2024, 8:54pmAlike like a plan, thanks
Colin CallananFeb 7 2024, 1:10amSounds like a plan, even!
Conor MurphyFeb 7 2024, 9:53amRoman van der Krogt Feb 5 2024, 7:31pm Hi,

Just got the race instructions. I know there was a question before about registering on the starting line (not possible -- fair enough), but now I see it's possible to register on the Friday night. If I do so, can I make my own way to the start on Saturday morning?

Thanks,
Roman
===========================================

I know from a couple of WhatsApp/messenger chats that others are doing this, I probably will too as Ballyvourney very near.
david yelvertonFeb 7 2024, 4:53pmHi all,
Please see the tracker link below

https://live.primaltracking.com/slichorcai2024/
Karl RichardsFeb 7 2024, 7:11pmHi looking forward to the race on Saturday. I was wondering about how to book a Mattress on main room floor €10 - but when i click the green tab i dont see how to book this. Does anyone know 1. if there is still possible to sleep in the main room and 2. how do we book it if we need to book? thanks Karl
Robbie WilliamsFeb 7 2024, 7:56pmGive Top of Rock a ring
Conor MurphyFeb 8 2024, 8:30pmHi Roman,

I've messaged David, RD, to check that so I'll let you know what he says.

Conor
Robbie WilliamsFeb 8 2024, 8:33pmHi Gang

Re: Friday night registration, PRIMAL TRACKING will be at Top of Rock approx 7-7:30pm ish. This is geared towards the film that live close to Ballyvourney that we’re asking already

Also make sure you have a backpack for them to attach it to. A bum bag will not do for this! Trackers will not pick signal accurately that low down .

See you all tomorrow and Sat
Roman van der KrogtFeb 8 2024, 9:08pmHi Conor,

David DM'd me the other day. All is good :-)

Thanks though!
Roman.
Lianne van DijkFeb 11 2024, 8:47amHuge thanks to Dave, Colette, Micheal, Robbie and all the others who made this race happen. Clearly a lot of work went into organising all of this. Such an amazing weekend, it was great seeing all the friendly faces at all the checkpoints also. And even though we all know pizza isn't the most important thing in life, well... it kinda is. Thanks everyone!
Karl RichardsFeb 11 2024, 10:42amMassive thanks to Dave and the amazing volunteers yesterday. The race was amazing and you all made it that much easier with excellent support and help at the aid stations. Thank you all so much!
Lee O'BoyleFeb 11 2024, 2:16pmCompletely agree, thanks to all the volunteers for putting on a super event! The pizza and beer at the finish was an extra nice touch!
Rory O DonovanFeb 11 2024, 2:50pmThanks for a great day out. Race was one of the toughest I've ever done, but made all worthwhile by the pizza and beer at the end. Brilliantly organised and great support from the volunteers at the aid stations!
Andre Van BarneveldFeb 11 2024, 2:58pmMost well organised race I've ever done, from course marking to checkpoint volunteers, free pizza and beer at the finish, super well done to all involved thanks
Kevin LenihanFeb 11 2024, 3:42pmMassive Thanks to Michael, Colette and Dave for a great day out in west cork..A belter of a route , roads, fields, trails and mountains and a little bit of mud! And thanks to all the volunteers..a great advertisement for Mmra!!
Shane O'NeillFeb 11 2024, 4:06pmHuge thanks to Dave , Colette, Robbie, Micheál and all the volunteers. A fantastic course in the most beautiful part of the world. From the award winning toilets in Gougane Barra , to the celebrity Joe o leary filling my water bottles at a castle.To top it all off a hot shower , pizza and a bottle of beer at the finish. To spend an hour talking to some great people I've got to run with over the last few years was the icing on the cake.
Thanks to everyone involved.
Deirdre O GormanFeb 11 2024, 5:34pmI second everything everyone else has said; a superb event. The work that went in was evident, from the marking, aid stations, brilliant volunteers, finish line pizza, showers, everything! Huge thanks to Dave, Colette, Mícheál, Robbie and the whole team.
Eoin Mac MahonFeb 11 2024, 6:37pmThanks everyone. Savage race in a savage spot.
Brian FlannellyFeb 12 2024, 8:01pmResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie
Rory O DonovanFeb 12 2024, 8:35pmHi Brian, I wish I was out there an hour less but unfortunately it was 8:06 not 7:06 for me. Cheers, Rory
Martin DurcoFeb 12 2024, 9:59pmHuge thanks to RD and all the volunteers for organising such a brilliant event.Great to see and meet some inspirational sportsmen,soak the atmosphere and have a little chat with fellow runners.Beautiful sceneries, breathtaking views and load of mud is what I will remember for a long time.
Barry McEvoyMar 1 2024, 9:44amRace Report up.
Thanks for a super weekend in West Cork!
Robbie WilliamsMar 1 2024, 12:44pmSuperb Report Barry..

Touch of WB Yeats in you !
Anthony CornforthMar 1 2024, 2:00pmBrilliant report, spat my lunch across the table laughing.
Miriam MaherMar 1 2024, 3:32pmBarry, that's just a fantastic read!!! Well done, favourite line (although hard to pick just one) 'Bump into Enda. Looks taller'
Enda CloakeMar 1 2024, 5:32pmI tried explaining that it was because he was barefoot and I still had runners on haha
Patricia RyanMar 2 2024, 12:40amLove the honesty