Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mweelrea

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lillian DeeganApr 19 2023, 11:05amMorning all,

Anyone want to take this one to RD? We won't feel the date slipping round now that the LL has kicked off.

Thanks
Hannah GibneyApr 19 2023, 11:23amHi Lillian,

As I live out West now, I don’t mind taking this on!

Hannah
Lillian DeeganApr 27 2023, 11:54amThanks very much Hannah. I have you in there now. Great to see your name pop up too - it’s been a while :)
Free to give me a shout with any queries on race day prep - races@imra.ie
Hannah GibneyJun 13 2023, 2:00pmHi All,

Is there anyone who could possibly help with this please- I actually no longer think I’ll be around this weekend as I’ve had a lot going on with work, etc.

Would be really appreciated if someone could help please! :)
Linda RowdenJun 13 2023, 4:25pmHi Hannah,

I can help out with Mweelrea. Email me @ lindaf.rowden@gmail.com
Thanks,
Linda
Anne-Marie FlahertyJun 15 2023, 9:53amHey folks!

Could do with a few more running and non-running volunteers for Mweelrea.
Anne-Marie FlahertyJun 21 2023, 10:49amStill looking for a First Aid Volunteer and one or two more non-running volunteers.

If anyone has a particular interest in Summit and/or Col marshal that would be great too!
Anne-Marie FlahertyJun 26 2023, 10:19amThanks a million to Linda who's taken on Frist Aid for this race.

Still need a few more volunteers.

Entries open tomorrow.
Karina JoninaJun 27 2023, 9:35amHI Anne-Marie,

I am down as a running volunteer but I will do the Summit Marshall :)

I will remove myself from the runniing volunteers and request a non-running position :)
Anne-Marie FlahertyJun 27 2023, 10:41amHi Karina

Thanks so much!

I'll send volunteer email tomorrow evening (hectic week).
Anne-Marie FlahertyJun 30 2023, 10:37amRegistration closes this evening!

Don't forget to sign up at the link below for camping and BBQ if you're coming along.

https://imra.ie/forum/topic/id/6445
Joan RyanJun 30 2023, 10:40amIs a chip required for this race?
Paul SmythJun 30 2023, 10:54amAbout halfway down the evant details:

Chip Timing
We are not using chip timing for this event.
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 1 2023, 9:22amThe weather is not looking great as of right now, so please ensure you have all of the mandatory kit with you as per the race details page:

MANDATORY KIT
- Shower and Windproof Jacket*

- Whistle

- Hat

- Gloves

- Map

- Compass
Noel DonohoeJul 1 2023, 7:56pmThanks for a great race today. The sea temperature for the warm down was lovely. Plenty of post race snacks chat and banter- and a fridge magnet
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 1 2023, 9:43pmPhew!

Thanks so much everyone for Mweelrea today.

These events can't happen without volunteers and I was very lucky with the amazing team today, before and during the event.

Karina and Eoghan for marshalling in what were slightly blustery conditions. It was great having you both on the mountain and it's very much appreciated, given the Connacht weather could change at the drop of a hat!

Vivian thanks for transporting the race kit, it was great to have it on the Friday night and not have to worry about extra bits on Saturday morning.

Alan for your two trips up Mweelrea and the help at race briefing. The marking does make a huge difference and I think it's a great addition to the event, from the perspective of RD it takes a lot of the worry about the summit out of it.

Brian for the help with registration, it was so useful to have an experienced person here as it freed us up to do other things when we were a bit short of people.

Gerry for help at the gate, chauffeuring the marshalls and the shout when runners were on the way back

Cora for help with the results and finish line. I hope we didn't scare you off coming to more races, it was so good to have the extra body for this as we were under a bit of pressure.

David for help with parking and at the finish line, you jumped into a few jobs for me today, it was great to be able to shout for help when needed.

Linda on first aid, thankfully you'd a very quiet afternoon!

Eleanor the flapjacks and watermelon went down a treat! Thanks for sending them down!

Hope you all have a great weekend and best of luck Karina with Nephin in the morning and to those of you running it, enjoy!

Apologies to the ladies for the mix up on the results, massive thanks to Joan for spotting the error and thanks everyone for their understanding.

The results have been emailed to Conor.

Results for Irish Champs and Connacht Champs. Mweelrea Event:
1st F Lisa Hegarty
2nd F Carol Finn
3rd F Joan Ryan

1st M Mark McAdden
2nd M Andrew Tees
3rd M Eoin Brady
Brian MullinsJul 1 2023, 9:47pmThanks to Anne Marie and all the volunteers for the mighty outing on the highest in Connacht, this whole weekend would not happen without the selfless dedication of volunteers. This was one of the best battles I’ve had in many a mountain race and will stay with me for a long time. It started off nice and steady and then exploded once open mountain was fresh underfoot. Was battling with Sean and Brian on the way up with a solid 6th at the turn at the top of the province, thanks to the summit marshall for all the encouragement in the gale, Karina I think. Given a less than impressive Lavaredo Ultra 120k last week I couldn’t complain with my performance and was hoping I could begin to feel my legs on the way down. Then the brains off and brakes off took over and to be fair to Brian Furey he just knows me well enough by now to know that one of these days that suicidal descent strategy will have me end up in hospital and just waved me through. I was on a serious downward spiral from there on, my mind was willing to go faster but my legs would just not spin quick enough, however by some bizarre quirk of physics I quickly went from 6th to 3rd but I knew I’d need it all and more as once the 1km tarmac road arrived I would be pedalling squares. And basically that’s what’s happened! Ended up 5th but the best battle myself and Sean, the better 4th place man, have had in many a year. I lost count of the amount of times we traded places in 15mins, a legendary battle, Sean is the faster runner no doubt about it but I was using every bit of my 30 years of mountain sense I knew to run on “different” terrain that “might” be quicker, it worked for a while until the legs just gave up! This is what makes IMRA races hard to beat, when you know you’ve left it all out there, some seriously impressive runners have beaten you and you are still happy, what’s not to like!

Congrats to Mark on the win, this fella has to be watched, he is on fire this year!! Serious respect also to Lisa who, was climbing like a demon and ran a super race to finish well inside the top 10. I mistakenly looked around at one stage just before the col as I was shadowing Sean and making sure he got none of the benefit of the wind that was blowing us uphill and all I saw was two former Irish champions in Brian and Jason and then right on their heels was Lisa making it look very easy while the rest of us were wheezing wrecks!

And hey, Nephin tomorrow, if only every weekend was as good. But wait, it is! Sign up for any race at the Reeks weekend now and you will be privileged to experience the utter horror of a hard day out on the hills but the utter bliss of the finish and madness that occurs once the racing is over. And if you can’t make any of that then sign up for Galtymore, the hardest race of the Irish Champs.
Hilary JenkinsonJul 2 2023, 7:11pmWell done Anne Marie and her team. Great day out for us all. Thank you.
Paul SmythJul 2 2023, 9:54pmBig thanks to everyone for all the work on Mweelrea and Nephin.
Brian FureyJul 2 2023, 10:29pmThanks Anne Marie and Karina and all for the races and to the summit marshals for standing out in the conditions. Adding flags at the top from the col works great for mweelrea. Made it an honest race and everyone went the same way. I particularly enjoyed the awesome descent off mweelrea and for once didn't go wrong on it.
Anne-Marie FlahertyJul 4 2023, 11:11amResults are up for Mweelrea and Nephin.

I've some (variable quality) photos that I'll pop up later.
Michael McSweeneyJul 4 2023, 4:02pmThanks to Anne-Marie and all of her crew for a great day Saturday.
Michael CollinsJul 4 2023, 4:36pmThanks Anne-Marie and co. for a very well-organised and enjoyable event. Markers from the gully crossing up to the summit were amazing and very helpful for any Mweelrea newbies (myself included)