Irish Mountain
Running Association

Belmont - Little Sugar Loaf

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Conor O'FarrellJul 14 2020, 11:36amHi All

The moment you have all been waiting for has finally come.
Angela Flynn and John Bell have put together our first Wednesday race of the year in The Belmont Demesne, in Wednesday 22nd July. This is a new race altogether, running up to the top of the Little Sugar Loaf and back, the race will be mostly on trail, until the final ascent to the summit where it is quite technical on top. The full route is approximately 8.6km, with 360m of climb.

Keeping in mind that this is our first race and we are coming back under new guidelines, please be aware of the following:
- Race entry is ONLINE ONLY. Entry will open tomorrow 15th July.
- Vouchers will not be accepted for this or any of the next few races, but they will be honoured in the future. More on this will be communicated soon enough,
- The race will have a limit of 100 people. With this in mind, please do not enter if you think you cannot make it, to maximise attendance.
- If you do not manage to avail of an entry, please consider volunteering. We will require quite a few volunteers for this event.
- Entry fee for the race is €7. As we are using the private car park and lands of Belmont, there is a fee for parking by the landowners which we are incorporating into the event price.
- Please familiarise yourselves with the new race guidelines, recently posted in the NEWS section,
- This race is not part of any league. The Leinster League has been suspended for this year and any associated races are now standalone events

Thanks
Con
Dave DochertyJul 14 2020, 1:07pmWHOOO HOOOO!!!! Nice one Ange and John.
Mikey FryJul 14 2020, 2:58pmSo when does entry open conooooooooor please?????
Conor O'FarrellJul 14 2020, 3:24pm@Mikey, if I'm awake by 9am tomorrow, I'll open it then.
Igor Gonzalez-GuridiJul 15 2020, 10:28amAngela, John and the rest of the people involved, many thanks for organizing this event on these challenging times, and all the updates sent through the last few months. Is there a plan to include a junior race at this stage or not?
Lillian DeeganJul 15 2020, 11:31amHello Igor, yes absolutely. This one will have a junior route. Sorry for the late confirmation. I see we have nearly hit the entry No. cap.
Paulina HanneyJul 15 2020, 12:10pmah, I didn't realise there was a junior race. Is there any way to allow a quota of junior entries separate to the adult quota? That way, some junior entries could be purchased given the race is sold out?
Lillian DeeganJul 15 2020, 12:15pm99 sold :) We are looking at possible options for our younger mems. Hold tight for a bit young lady or get daddy to pin that last spot down.
Paulina HanneyJul 15 2020, 12:37pmI think its stuck at 99, there's no option to buy.
Richie GeogheganJul 15 2020, 5:57pmHi, I think the race is closed, as there is an error on the register link. If there's a sub-list for drop-out replacements, could you put me down on that list please? I could attend at short notice. Many thanks Cheers, Richie (Geoghegan).
Lillian DeeganJul 16 2020, 1:14pmRichie, I like the way you think - you are spot on. Belmont sold out by lunchtime yesterday. And we don't have transfer options in case of drops. This is a standard msg. across the board for all IMRA events.

Paulina and all other hopeful Juniors: With the Belmont race page shy of info. when entries opened, we will make arrangements to facilitate an entry for you.

This will be a one time only option - with us needing to keep a handle on race day numbers - RDs for the remaining 5 similar kind of race routes will have specifics noted for our Juniors ahead of the online entries going live.

If we have any juniors wishing to gain an entry to the Belmont race next Wednesday, could you email Miriam Maher. Miriam has kindly offered to give time to field requests for junior entries.

We have a fixed timeline for this one time offer - Please email - miriam.maher@imra.ie by 5pm tomorrow, Friday July 17th and Miriam will follow up with you with news of how to enter the race.

Good luck getting a slot Paulina/ Andy ;)
Niamh HonerJul 20 2020, 6:02pmHi,
Is it a 7:30pm start for everyone?
Where would you advise is best parking and last but not least do you need to purchase a bib and chip if this is your first race of 2020?
Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks in advance
Angela FlynnJul 20 2020, 6:19pmHi all
Looking forward to seeing you on on Wednesday,. Have to thank Paul Mahon and Rene Borg for the idea for this route actually. (Their ECO Trail runs through here). The estate only opened to the public last year...

Details
Registration will open at 6.pm- close at 7pm
Bibs and chip timing are available for collection for those of you who have not run this year
Replacement bibs and chips are available to purchase online
These is no sign in sheet but you should be familiar with the new protocols regarding social distancing- follow directions from the volunteers
Face masks/buff -to be working in the registration are/ start line and 200m of the race route
Emergency phone no- no on reverse of bib. Save this no.
Kit -mandatory kit required

Parking- in Belmont
Prizes- vouchers will be passed on a the finish line- no raffle -sorry
Please respect the SD guidelines and head home after the race in a timely manner
Angela FlynnJul 22 2020, 12:01pmHi all
Early stat for this race is 7.pm
Nb: the top of little Sugarloaf is very technical - please be very careful on this section, especially if you have not ran many mountains lately. There is plenty of track for flat out running if you are keen.
Martin CullenJul 22 2020, 5:10pmIs there a charge for parking tonight?
Gordon PlaceJul 22 2020, 5:32pmHi Martin,
The first post seems to say it is included in the race entry fee
Conor NolanJul 22 2020, 10:32pmThat was a blast! Great to be back in the hills midweek.
Many thanks to the Committee for getting events going again. Thanks too to tonight's RDs and their band of volunteers. Great course with multiple stings in the tail.
Dave DochertyJul 23 2020, 7:14amGreat craic last night. Good to see everybody behind the masks. Massive thanks to all who made it happen.
Alice ClancyJul 23 2020, 8:42amThat was a cracking new race! Thanks Angela, it's a beautiful spot.
It was a devilish twist to turn us back up the hill when it felt like the home stretch was beckoning...I think thanks/blame for the route is due to John Bell...and It was so lovely to be back out trying to race of a Wednesday evening, thank you to all the volunteers who made it possible.
Conor O'FarrellJul 23 2020, 9:47amHi All

Great even last night at Belmont. Hats off to Angela and her crew, and a big thanks to everyone who really took to the new guidelines to help a smooth race and event.

Also, well done to Warren and Nicola for their respective wins.

Results are up, please email results@imra.ie for any queries.

Thanks
Con
Stuart ScottJul 23 2020, 10:13amThanks Angela, Paul, JB and everyone else involved in organising yesterday's race, along with all the hard work the Committee did behind the scenes to get us to this point. My first race in 11 months and it was great to be back! Though I've never seen that many cameras on a route...maybe don't repeat that bit! The course was lovely and definitely worth repeating. I was cursing that sting-in-the-middle and the endless zigzagging at the end waiting for the path to make up its mind and decide what direction it wanted to go in. But it added a nice bit of variety. And at one point I was running so fast a fly fell down my throat. No wonder the buff rule was in place. It serves me right for taking it off after the 200m mark!
Richard LeahyJul 23 2020, 10:17amBig shout out to Angela for coming up with this great new race venue, and thanks to all the team for making the race run so smoothly, even if it did feel like we were a bunch of outlaws on the run
Warren SwordsJul 23 2020, 10:28amThanks to Angela and all the volunteers. Brilliant race and set up. Very smooth process altogether.

Great to be back on the hills on a Wednesday. Course was brilliant, even the last 2km.
Peter BellJul 23 2020, 10:56amThanks Angela and crew for a brilliant race. I'm sure alot of work went into getting it all sorted behind the scenes. Loved it. Nice mix of mountain and trail. Would like have that one again in the future. Well done to the winners.
Niall McGuinnessJul 23 2020, 8:00pmThanks so much for all the time and effort that went into making this event as great as it was. Not sure I ever appreciated the joys of racing the hills in quite this way. You'd think after 45 attempts I'd already know, but one of these days I'll figure out how to pace an IMRA run. Finish on the mountain bike track was a lot of fun/massive struggle.
Andrew HanneyJul 26 2020, 4:27pmTeam Results at Belmont:
Once again, at the fabulous new Belmont race there were 4 club teams represented with 3 members and hence a scoring team.
Warren Swords claimed a well-deserved first ever league win. For team honours it was the local lads, Kilcoole AC who were to the fore, turning out with 8 runners.

Kilcole AC claimed the scoring positions 2,3 and 4 with a team score of 9.
TT Racers and Crusaders AC tied for second on 18 place, and Brothers Pearse in 3 on 33.

Kilcoole AC : Vincent MckKie, Peter Bell and David Kynes. Non scoring members: Mark Byrne,Aubrey O'Neill,Paddy Holohan,adrian Marples,Andrew Hanney)
TT Racers: Conor Nolan, Niall Fox, Gareth Little
Crusaders AC: Warren Swords, Anthony O'Reilly, Michael Maughan. Non scoring members (Brian McGuckin,Emily Glen,John McAuley)
Brothers Pearse: Amanda (Mandy) Keegan, Niamh Honer, James Finneran.
The following clubs were one member short of scoring: Clane, Le Cheile, Setanta Orienteers. Spread the word in your clubs!

https://www.imra.ie/photos/tag/id/159240