Irish Mountain
Running Association

Glen of Aherlow Trail Marathon (2 loops)

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Lisa Quirke CashmanMay 20 2019, 9:02amHi guys. Is there an early start option for the marathon?
Robert CunninghamMay 21 2019, 2:58pmLisa,I'm sure an early start could be facilitated.
Lisa Quirke CashmanMay 22 2019, 10:18amThat's great Robert! Would 8.30/9am be ok?
Andrew HowardMay 22 2019, 11:36amHi all, would anyone have a GPX of the route to allow me do a recce next week? I will be down in the area camping anyway and would love to suss it out. Thank you.
Paul O BrienMay 22 2019, 8:06pm@Andrew. I will do a loop with you any evening next week if you like. Could start at 6pm if that suits.
John CarneySep 13 2019, 10:49pmHi just wondering is drop bag or not..if not no hassle..also wondering did the early start option get clarified..travelling with someone doing ultra and be waiting around a bit is all and be nice to get moving if can...no hassles either way.
Thanks john
Rory O'TooleSep 15 2019, 10:01amAnother request for an early start if possible, please.
Brian FagamSep 15 2019, 2:30pmHi I was wondering if there are any water stations along the route for the Aherlow Marsthon? Thanks
Robbie WilliamsSep 15 2019, 5:20pmWater station will be at start point of loop and at the approx halfway part, so that means
Robbie WilliamsSep 15 2019, 5:23pmLads, just got your info, early starts not too much of a problem

FYI: results for early starts automatically go to bottom of results
John CarneySep 15 2019, 5:50pmIf early start affects results I will start at normal time..no hassles at all. I was only at loose end as I was travelling down with someone doing ultra...rather wait and start at proper time at 10am.
Cheers robbie
Owen HarneySep 16 2019, 11:09amApologies if I've missed this info somewhere, but will there be a dropbag option for the marathon?
Patricia BlackburnSep 16 2019, 1:50pmHi Owen , yes there will be a drop zone for the Ultra and the Marathon
Owen HarneySep 16 2019, 1:57pmThanks Patricia
Patricia BlackburnSep 16 2019, 2:03pmThere will be four water stations on the loop one unmanned.
Please bring your own bottle, its refill only,as were trying to promote care of the environment.
Brian FagamSep 16 2019, 3:15pmHi just wondering if the event is sold out?
Gordon PlaceSep 16 2019, 3:32pmHi Brian,
Entry closed on Saturday unfortunately.
Mary ToherSep 17 2019, 1:31pmHi I was wondering would I be able to start with the ultra I doing the marathon? No problem with my name going to the bottom of the results sheet
Patricia BlackburnSep 17 2019, 6:12pmNo problem Mary, make sure you let the people at reg or myself know.
Patricia BlackburnSep 19 2019, 11:46amHi all marathon runners.
Thank you for signing up for this the fifth edition of the LOOP DE LOOP, we hope you will enjoy your run and your visit to the Glen of Aherlow.

Reg will open at 9am for the Marathon in the community centre in Lisvernanne village.The start at 10am will be half a mile out at the iron bridge and finish will be in the village.

To facilitate the club whose facilities we are using, We would ask all marathon runners to park in the GAA field.There will be a parking attendants on duty and your cooperation would be appreciated.

The course is marked with red arrows on white background and red and white tape.There are four water stops(make sure you have your own bottle as it's refill only)

The course is mainly on trail with a small bit of road ,( theirs a slight change from previous years)some paths are narrow some wider:- there has been quite a bit of tree felling in the last few weeks,so their a bit rough in parts but nothing to worry about!!

You have two full loops with finish back down in the village. The start area is also the drop off zone. You can carry your stuff to the zone yourself or we can get it there for you.(there will be a steward there).Please label your bags, bottles etc that you are leaving there and please make sure you collect and dispose of anything you havn't used.(It's important to leave no trace and that everyone takes responsibility for their own stuff.)

Mandatory kit applies and we would appreciate if you could carry your phone but its not compulsory.

There is a cut off time of three hours for the first loop and we will have to strictly adhere to this giving respect to the stewards and volunteers.

There are hot showers available in the club house, and hot food will be served in the hall with a choice of Beef stew, chicken curry or veg curry, with desert and tea and coffee. We will also have a free bottle of Eight Degrees beer to help wash it all down.
Prize giving will begin around 4pm.

There are two camp sites in the Glen which are very close and of course you have Aherlow House Hotel if you want to pamper yourself. Ballyhoura hostel is only 10 miles and Tipperary town is only 4 miles with lots of accommodation.We hope you have a safe journey and look forward to meeting you all Sat morning.
Alan AylingSep 22 2019, 7:22pmCracking event as always - well done and thanks to the organising crew.
Best incarnation of the course yet.
Though something wants doing with those showers in the Gaelic Club... it was like the old days when you had to put another 50p in the meter!
Brian FlannellySep 23 2019, 7:43amResults are now up for this event - any questions/queries on them, please email:
brian <dot> flannelly <at> imra <dot> ie