Irish Mountain
Running Association

Mullaghmeen

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Derek KellettJan 30 2019, 6:05pmI vaguely remember that we used to run this as the "Meath Hill Running Championships" & that it was open to the local clubs without being IMRA members or is my memory completely wrong ?
Laura FlynnJan 30 2019, 6:27pmI have no recollection of that Derek but, in any event, the current position is that anyone running in this event must sign up online for IMRA annual membership. The cost is very reasonable - €10 and the race itself will cost you €7 to enter.
Best of luck if you decide to do it.
Damien McDonnellJan 30 2019, 6:38pmHi Derek I remember it bei g that aswell, Meath championships, then it opened it to all athletes after that which also included the county championships, not sure if they are still incorporated in it this year
Laurence BriodyJan 30 2019, 7:58pmHi Derek and Damien you are correct it was original part of Meath hill championship but NOT any more. Sign up and membership with IMRA as Laura said and there are so many great races on the IMRA Calender...
Caitlin BentJan 31 2019, 12:56pmYes Derek, it was originally Meath (St. Brigid's athletic Club?)event. It was put onto the IMRA Calendar some years back.
Derek KellettFeb 4 2019, 4:39pmThank you all. I just wasn't sure.
Laurence BriodyFeb 4 2019, 7:29pmHi All.
Mullaghmeen race nearly here again. Looking for a few more volunteers please. Hopefully the weather will be with us.
Registration is from 10.30 in Forest carpark.
We have a junior race approx 5k starting with the main race and breaking off at about 2.5k in.
Will also be an early start but only for people who think they will be 160% of winners time.
Lillian DeeganFeb 9 2019, 10:13amMorning all,
With our Mullaghmeen event due to be held this day week, I'm on to put out a volunteer call for RD Lar. This race route has drawn shy of 100 runners for the past two years. With this said, Lar will need the usual base core of helpers to allow for the event to proceed next Saturday.
James CurranFeb 11 2019, 1:44pmLaurence,

Will you have the laptop? Or do I need to collect it from somebody?
Conor O'FarrellFeb 11 2019, 4:06pmHi James

I have the laptop, drop me a text and I will arrange to get it to you over the next couple of days.

Con
James CurranFeb 11 2019, 10:06pmLaurence,
Is there early start or short course?
Got the laptop from Conor just now so all set.
Laurence BriodyFeb 11 2019, 10:15pmYes James there is an early start and a short course for juniors. Thanks for taking on the laptop role again much appreciated as are all who volunteer.
5 days to go folks and we are still in need of a First Aider race cannot go ahead without one...
Laurence BriodyFeb 12 2019, 10:01pmHello All,

We will be trialling the chip timing at the Mullaghmeen race on Saturday. For those of you who already have a timing chip from 2018 (or even prior to that), please bring the chip with you to the race. If you don't have a chip, one will be proived at no cost. Please regsiter for the race first at the usual sign-on desk and if you haven't collected your 2019 race number, then do so before proceeding to getting your timing chip scanned.

When all the registration is done, proceed to the volunteers managing the chip timing and they will scan your chip and assign your 2019 race number to it. Please, please, please ensure that you have your correct 2019 race number when your chip is being scanned. We obviously have to scan all particiapnts but to help us help you, do not come to us with your 2018 race number or any other previous year for that matter. Make sure you have your correct 2019 race numer.

The timing chip must be attached to one of your runners to ensure that it is read by the mat. Do not put the chip in your jacket pocket or the pocket in your shorts as it will be too far away from the mat to be read, i.e. the chip is useless at that height from the mat and your time will not be recorded.

After the race, keep your chip and bring it to all subsequent races that you attend. Provided you do not lose your chip, you will not need to have it re-scanned for the rest of 2019. If you do lose your chip, you will have to pay for a replacement and get that re-scanned at your next race.

Wishing you all an enjoyable run on Saturday.
Laurence BriodyFeb 12 2019, 10:01pmHello All,

We will be trialling the chip timing at the Mullaghmeen race on Saturday. For those of you who already have a timing chip from 2018 (or even prior to that), please bring the chip with you to the race. If you don't have a chip, one will be proived at no cost. Please regsiter for the race first at the usual sign-on desk and if you haven't collected your 2019 race number, then do so before proceeding to getting your timing chip scanned.

When all the registration is done, proceed to the volunteers managing the chip timing and they will scan your chip and assign your 2019 race number to it. Please, please, please ensure that you have your correct 2019 race number when your chip is being scanned. We obviously have to scan all particiapnts but to help us help you, do not come to us with your 2018 race number or any other previous year for that matter. Make sure you have your correct 2019 race numer.

The timing chip must be attached to one of your runners to ensure that it is read by the mat. Do not put the chip in your jacket pocket or the pocket in your shorts as it will be too far away from the mat to be read, i.e. the chip is useless at that height from the mat and your time will not be recorded.

After the race, keep your chip and bring it to all subsequent races that you attend. Provided you do not lose your chip, you will not need to have it re-scanned for the rest of 2019. If you do lose your chip, you will have to pay for a replacement and get that re-scanned at your next race.

Wishing you all an enjoyable run on Saturday.
Emmet WardellFeb 13 2019, 8:52amHi all,

If registering again for 2019 do we get a new number? or do we keep last years? This will be my first IMRA event of the year.

Thanks so much!

Emmet
Mike JordanFeb 13 2019, 9:14am@Emmet - You get allocated a new number when you buy your 2019 membership. You can collect the new number at your first race of the year.
Emmet WardellFeb 13 2019, 12:16pmPerfecto - thanks Mike!!!
Fergus OFarrellFeb 14 2019, 8:05amHi laurence,
I put myself down as a non runner volunteer if you need more help.
Fergus
Laurence BriodyFeb 14 2019, 9:49amThanks Fergus much appreciated as are all who volunteered. Will email details to all helpers this evening..
Paul O'ConnorFeb 15 2019, 11:45amI have unused Race Vouchers from last year which I understand I can use for Mullaghmeen. Am I correct to assume that I just need my 2019 membership and I can register for the race on the day using the voucher?
Laurence BriodyFeb 15 2019, 12:39pmYes Paul you can use last years vouchers. Just sign up for membership for 2019..
Keith FahyFeb 16 2019, 11:35amHi I'm just at St Bridgets but the gate is closed. I'm on 0876904336 please call me.
Keith FahyFeb 16 2019, 11:36amHi I'm just at St Bridgets but the gate is closed. I'm on 0876904336 please call me.
Paul V MitchellFeb 16 2019, 3:20pmOne of my favourite races, apart from that wall in mile 5.
Thanks for a well ran race with a well marked course.
Aidan EganFeb 16 2019, 3:37pmI really love this race... well done again ...I hope everyone got home ok... it's a great course.. see ye again soon - aidan (tullamore harriers)
Miriam MaherFeb 16 2019, 3:58pmThanks Laurence and all the team for today’s race. Fantastic route. We, at the back of the pack, owe a huge thanks to Declan from St Bridget’s AC for keeping us on track, without him I suspect I’d still be circling the lovely beeches looking for the way out ;-) Assume some randomer decided they didn’t like the look of the yellow tape at various junctions and decided to do a spot of spontaneous demarking for IMRA, which after all the hard work and hugely friendly welcome provided for us - is a bit of a pity. But - great route/race and I’m determined to get back for the bluebells in another few months!
Deirdre GalvinFeb 16 2019, 4:54pmWho would have thought that Westmeath could offer up such a bounty! Leg and lung-busting both accounted for.
Thank you to the organisers for a very well-organised race, and a well-marked route.
Peter DoyleFeb 17 2019, 9:01amHi. Where can I view the results from yesterday's race?
Lillian DeeganFeb 17 2019, 9:25amMorning Peter,
We are working on same presently. Once compiled and ready for publishing, the results will be posted on the Mullaghmeen race page. Bear with us for a bit, they will come :) And as a general rule of thumb - we try to get results up within a week of any event.
Tanya SheridanFeb 17 2019, 6:38pmGreat race organisation, beautiful route, loads of encouragement from the marshalls out on the course and the now famous Mullaghmeen post race hospitality … thanks to Laurence and all of his team for such a great day out in the Westmeath hills! Part of the post race happiness is having that last climb over for another year! :)
James BensonFeb 19 2019, 10:14pmJust see results and wondering what the process is from race Saturday? How is it dertermined who did the long and short course? I appreciate it wasn’t the organizers who removed the markings but it was confirmed they were removed before the race started?
Warren SwordsFeb 20 2019, 11:08amStrava Flyby is good craic to watch.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#2153225177?c=gcdcf98p&z=E&t=1SQ0SD&a=2ZtXgK9KXIA4S1GAfCFRgPEwUYCnmVGADspagDtkUYAqQFKA62FSgG1YUYDyLVaAPwpTgFIvU4D01WKAevxRgGOXVIBoQVKAExhigMdeVYALEFqAouhRgDM_XoAPZFKAdO1RgFdtWoDDHGmA9_plgA8qV4AKKleAtetSgA
Warren SwordsFeb 20 2019, 11:09amStrava Flyby is good craic to watch.

https://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#2153225177?c=gcdcf98p&z=E&t=1SQ0SD&a=2ZtXgK9KXIA4S1GAfCFRgPEwUYCnmVGADspagDtkUYAqQFKA62FSgG1YUYDyLVaAPwpTgFIvU4D01WKAevxRgGOXVIBoQVKAExhigMdeVYALEFqAouhRgDM_XoAPZFKAdO1RgFdtWoDDHGmA9_plgA8qV4AKKleAtetSgA
Warren SwordsFeb 20 2019, 11:09amStrava Flyby is good craic to watch.

Paul V MitchellFeb 20 2019, 1:15pmIt works better if you play the Benny Hill theme music while watching.
Some of it is down to GPS errors, my watch went haywire in the 4th mile, which is why it looks like my race finished in a field, 2 miles away from the forest.
Laurence BriodyFeb 20 2019, 10:57pmHi all

When I demarked the course on Saturday, it was clear to me that all of the tape and red arrows had been removed from certain junctions on the route.  This demarking must have happened during the period between when the course was marked and the race began.  The tape that had marked those sections has since been located in the area. 

This is obviously very disappointing for everyone – especially for me and the rest of the volunteer team and the runners impacted by it. 

I, working with the Committee, have done the best I could in the circumstances by allotting short course results to all those who were prevented from following the official race route, ensuring that those runners still get race credit.  The Committee has informed me that they will ensure that this incident does not impact league results by removing the Mullaghmeen results from the calculation of the WSL prizewinners.  The WSL winners will be calculated on the basis of the 4 best results from the remaining 6 races (after Mullaghmeen is excluded).  

Next year we will mark the route on the morning and have someone check the marking before the race start also some marshals on key junctions..

I would like to give a Big Thanks to all who volunteered and helped out with the race. Also to our photographers for some great photos as always.
Ronan JohnsFeb 21 2019, 10:21amThis was my first IMRA run and I was one of the short course runners. To be honest, I wasn't too bothered. I think I was just happy to get my first one out of the way! I know some of the other runners were disappointed but I really enjoyed myself. :-) Thank you to the volunteers and don't be so hard on yourself!!

Looking forward to my next run already.
Andrew HanneyFeb 21 2019, 12:35pmFair play for the update Laurence. Obviously what happened was very disappointing for you and your team of volunteers. Some parameters for a successful race are just out of control. I believe it was in Bray two years ago that markings were removed during the race and last year somebody decided to remove a flag from a Nav challenge course. Unfortunately it does mean an extra task of checking markings the day of the race but even that doesn’t guarantee they’ll be there, and sometimes the number of volunteers doesn’t allow it. Well done on your efforts.
James BensonFeb 22 2019, 11:56amAppreciate the update Laurence. I'll still be back next year.......and ill do the full route!!!!!
Laurence BriodyFeb 23 2019, 9:42pmI would like to say thanks all for the comments and patience...