Irish Mountain
Running Association

Wicklow Glacier Lakes (Relay)

Forum Messages

AuthorDateMessage
Robert CarneyMar 12 2019, 6:48pmWicklow Glacier Lakes 2019

Hey all,

Payment for entrants/teams will open at midnight tonight for the Glacier Lakes race and will close at 18:00 hours on Thursday 11th April.
I have updated the links to the entry form and entry list.

If you can please download and email back the completed entry form to:
wicklowglacierlakesentry@outlook.com

The same form can be used for the relay and the solo.
Both online payment and the entry form are required by the above date to take part in this event.
I will update the entrants list as received so everyone will be able to check that they are included.

Other than that, a recce of this highly enjoyable route is recommended for anyone unfamiliar.

Any questions please post on the forum.

Regards,
Rob
Gareth LittleMar 15 2019, 3:05pmHi Rob, firstly, thanks for taking on the RD role for this event. It’s one of the stand out events of the calendar.

Secondly, I was looking for some clarification as to the route options at the end of leg 3. I note from the land direct website (https://www.landdirect.ie/pramap/) that all realistic routes from Kelly’s Lough to the changeover point at Ballinafunshoge appear to cross private land which goes against the rule mentioned on the event page: "(NOTE: Private land is out of bounds. Fenced fields should not be entered, this occurs near the lower part of the zig-zags)"

In saying this, there is a well-established public right of way IE follow the zig zags down to the bridge/cottage/farm and then up onto the road, which has been in place for several decades now. Can you please let me know if this route is the only route that is permitted as I know there is another popular route choice that crosses a bridge further west up the road but this is technically crossing private land and does offer a distinct advantage over the zig zag route I mentioned previously.

Thanks,

Gareth
Gordon PlaceMar 15 2019, 5:29pmHi Gareth, I think James cleared that up last year https://www.imra.ie/events/forum/id/1574/
Robert CarneyMar 15 2019, 5:48pmGareth,

Here is the clarification from last year.

“To further clarify ref. Leg 3, private land and from the clear route description: "NOTE: Private land is out of bounds. Fenced fields should not be entered, this occurs near the lower part of the zig-zags)" - there are three potential reasonable options to cross to the road access Ballinafunshogue car park handover point (there may be a million unreasonable ones but in pursuit of clarity):

1. Follow the zig zags to the road.

2. Reach the fence line at the bottom of the zig zags (not the top, not near the style, not anywhere else in the Wicklow Mountains!) by any route and bear left. Find any route by which you do not have to cross a fence into a fenced field as per the race directions. By way of hint I can tell you that there are two options. I do not intend to short circuit the race advantage of reccies and map reading by telling you what they are!

The rule is simple - do not climb over a fence onto the river flood plain. Any route which did not require you scaling a fence in this area is fine.”

I hope last year’s clarification shows what is acceptable/unacceptable in relation to Leg 3.

Regards,
Rob
Gareth LittleMar 19 2019, 4:45pmHi Rob / Gordon,

Thanks for your responses. I did note James post from last year and I spoke with him too before my post here. While what James says does clear it up somewhat, I think what is necessary is a rule amendment on the main event page.

I feel James clarification is kind of like, if you don’t have to climb a fence, your grand, but the rule states that all private land is out of bounds which directly contradicts what James said, as its all private land, fence or no fence.

Further, I think any rule clarifications by way of a forum post will ultimately get lost in the sea of posts and will lead to some participants obeying one rule and others following different logic.

Thanks,

Gareth
Robert CarneyMar 19 2019, 8:07pmHi Gareth,

I will make the relevant enquiries and will post back here at my nearest convenience.

Best Regards,
Rob C.
Robert CarneyMar 19 2019, 9:57pmHi Gareth,

I have altered the wording in relation to leg 3 and the reference to private land on the events page as per below:

Leg 3 (7.5 km with 600m climb, NOTE: Fenced fields should not be entered, this occurs near the lower part of the zig-zags)

This section of leg 3 has raised questions on previous occasions, and by the changing of this wording we will hopefully allow for a clearer interpretation of the acceptable routes.

Regards,
Rob
John MurrayMar 20 2019, 1:39pmWould a simple map in the Events Details page outlining the Private Grounds not solve all this confusion?

There are two fence lines, one high and one low. The lower one at the base of the Zig Zags is the one you cant cross, and this goes all along the field and Avonbeg river to the north west.

The higher fence line you actually cross when getting over the Stile...enough said! ;)
Pádraig DoyleApr 5 2019, 5:12pmHello.
Is there a team out there looking for a chump to tackle Leg 2 or 3? My two legs won't do four legs at the moment but I'd be fairly comfortable with the routes.

P.
Joe LalorApr 7 2019, 4:52pmHi Padraig, if you are still interested in a run on leg2 on a non too competitive team could you contact me at jlalor(at)eircom.net
Alice ClancyApr 13 2019, 10:39amHi all,
This is a long shot, but if anyone with great eyesight running leg 2 tomorrow spots a car key somewhere on the route, if you can, please pick it up!...I lost it last week while distracted looking for Lough Firrib/three lakes. I don't have very high hopes of finding it again, but its a single key on a light yellow tag .
Best of luck all out there tomorrow it's shaping up to be a very good day!
Alice
Pádraig DoyleApr 14 2019, 6:14pmThanks Rob and crew for a great day out on the hills. Long day for ye to be stood out in the cold. Well done on your first RD... nice and smooth.
Congrats Liz and Conor on their wins and we'll done to the Fianna Warriors on the new course record.

Hope someone found Alice's key!

P.
John BellApr 14 2019, 7:30pmThank you Robert and crew for putting a great Glacier Lakes event today. It was nearly perfect condition for us running but it was cold to be standing around volunteering at the checkpoints.

It was great to see a good number of teams out for the Relay. There's plenty of opportunities for teams to lose or gain and you're never sure where you are on each leg.Goid for the banter while waiting at the checkpoints.

Thanks to my team mates, Peter the Yoke, Warren and John. We each had to run well to finish ahead to Paul & Móire and The Lakers.

Congratulations to Conor (who raced to the finish trying to catch the person in front who was actually behind:-)) and Elizabeth
Warren SwordsApr 14 2019, 8:33pmCheers to Robert and all the crew. It was absolutely Baltic out there today, much appreciated everyone giving up their time.

Great race as always. There’s nothing like a relay to have you going out as hard as you can.

Add nav and multiple route choice to keep everyone on their toes to do al lake.

Massive thanks again to volunteers given how cold and windy r was.
Alice ClancyApr 14 2019, 8:38pmThanks to Rob and team for such a lovely and well-organised day! It was no joke standing around in that freezing wind watching out for us all...A huge well done to all the runners and winners...and to the ultra runners - such an achievement...was very hard to keep up with ye even on fresh legs on the last leg!
Sadly, the key remains lost, but the wealth of wisecracks about it today has made the loss somewhat easier to bear ;-)
Stuart ScottApr 15 2019, 5:46pmMany thanks to Rob and all the helpers yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed the day out and it remains one of the best races on the calendar! Thanks for giving up your day for our running pleasure.

Could the results be pasted onto the website at some stage in case the link to the file ever gets broken?

It hasn't been an issue to date, and still wasn't yesterday, but it did occur to me while I was galivanting around Kelly's Lough with nary a soul in sight that cutoffs and an early start for relay runners should be introduced at Leg 3. I've no idea what times these cutoffs should be but now's probably a good time to discuss them while the event is still fresh. I certainly think all of yesterday's runners should meet the criteria but Leg 3 in particular is exposed and extra risky once the field starts to spread out. Anyone who misses the cut-off could just run along the road to Ballinafunshogue so they wouldn't necessarily have to drop out entirely.